Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
EAI89BpU0AAMRks
EAI87L8UcAAukRE

anigif_sub-buzz-31507-1518201865-5.gif

Can we discuss something? I know that a lot of people wanna see Shuffle Races return, but I want to hear what made that feature so appealing, because I'm wondering if that same appeal can be accomplished with some sort of spiritual successor of a feature/mode, rather than simply bringing back Shuffle Races with no less nor more options than it did in GT5. I'd imagine the random nature of it was very much appealing in the same way people enjoy playing randomizer runs of various RPGs.

Can we discuss something? I know that a lot of people wanna see Shuffle Races return, but I want to hear what made that feature so appealing, because I'm wondering if that same appeal can be accomplished with some sort of spiritual successor of a feature/mode, rather than simply bringing back Shuffle Races with no less nor more options than it did in GT5. I'd imagine the random nature of it was very much appealing in the same way people enjoy playing randomizer runs of various RPGs.

Depending on what parameters were set (range of performance or grid selection etc) it could completely jostle the race results. You’d be given a random car from the PP range you set, and there was even an option to have the selection be balanced where the winner from the last race got the slower car in the next race and vice versa. At maximum shuffle I believe it would be a random track with a random car selection (I don’t think there was a random lap count option though), so you were forced into some weird combos that were often unfamiliar or unfavorable, but that was all part of the fun since everybody was in the same boat. It was such huge fun because you never knew what you’d get and had very little practice time before getting thrown into the fire.

I don’t know how the grid order and random car picks could be implemented in a balanced way, but I can definitely see a way to make a shuffle-esque style system in Sport Mode. Let’s say they put in an additional “Race D” option, where it’s basically on the same race schedule as Race A, but every race is a different combo through RNG. Essentially pick a random class or one make and a random track, and then have an algorithm that calculates a lap count that would fit in the 20 minute window (and also to prevent stuff like Gr 1 on Fisherman’s Ranch). Very little time to practice or qualify, and especially with N classes a lot of uncertainty what the ideal car is.

I’d be doing that all day if it was implemented.

...do I hear an off-vocal version of "All My Life" in that video? I do, don't I?

Polyphony Digital still owes me a Gran Turismo 6 Official Soundtrack CD from more than five years ago! So many great songs introduced in that game!
It sounds so wrong with the backing vocals still in there, just the random "whoaaaa"s every now and then :lol:

IMO we should make a listing of "ideal event settings" for various courses and cars (and classes). This could include even more minute stuff like how penalties are handed out, and could include either using the initial method (slow down or take it off your finishing time), penalty zones, or only taking it off your final time without the option to slow down to reduce it. That last option - or the first - could be fantastic for cars with a typically lower power, like the Swift Sport we're using in Race C this week.

On another note, I think it's quite bizarre that the Nordschleife has only one penalty zone near that straight at the end after Galgenkopf, but Le Mans has quite a few more - I think the Nordschleife could have at least a few more zones, namely after Flugpatz, Aremberg, and Bergwerk. Perhaps another could be added near the entrance of Pflanzgarten II.

Another subject is that I think we should examine other racing games (and indeed, real-world racing) and how they handle rally, especially successful rally games like DiRT Rally and its sequel. I think GT can't simply get rid of rallying, being a major staple for some time, but I think it also could use improvement. I'm not 100% sure if it'd be best to bring back GT5's method of random course-generation, but I wouldn't mind it, either; I think we ought to have more real-world rally stages, like Monte Carlo. I'd also love to see some of the various dirt or snow stages from prior games (e.g. Tahiti) get turned into point-to-point stages, perhaps to supplement their circuit versions. And the FIA license should also help with the licensing of race cars from FIA-sanctioned series, right? So maybe we could see more rally cars and/or formula cars.

Finally, I'm wondering how ranked online play can generally be improved with Gran Turismo. For example, do you think using fixed times for races is the best idea? What about qualifying? Should it perhaps be more like real-world racing, where there's a limited time to qualify before the race? (I do like how in the championship races, you only get so much time, and then you can finish your lap. Though I'd prefer either a much longer gap between cars, or ghosting being on.) And instead of having a fixed set of races weekly or even daily, what about a potential pool of races for each group? Something that takes some elements from GT6's quick match? Overall, I'm wondering why there's such a tiny amount of players in Sport Mode when compared to the lobbies, and the broader GTS playerbase. Not to mention that in the context of ranked events and lobbies, I'm not 100% adamant that more options is always better, either, unless you have a seriously good UI/UX. I'm a little overwhelmed just thinking about all the potential things can could be shared, between GT5 and GT6's course editors, liveries for cars/helms/suits, photos, customized cars & their settings, and rulesets for single races & championships. Honestly, I hope PD takes full advantage of potentially using mobile/desktop apps instead of trying to cram every feature into the actual game. It'd likely save disc space, too...

EDIT: I honestly have too many ideas to even try consolidating them into a simple word processor document - I think I'll actually draw out a mind-map, instead. Would anybody care to see it if I did so?

I've reached my personal limit on the controller. I'm always 0.300 off the Top 10 time in every Weekly B race and cannot have the same consistency during the race. Time to save up for that Fanatec wheel I guess.

On the bright side, finally pushed past B rating barrier into A for the Driver Rating.

I've reached my personal limit on the controller. I'm always 0.300 off the Top 10 time in every Weekly B race and cannot have the same consistency during the race. Time to save up for that Fanatec wheel I guess.

Same. As impressive as it is that I managed 6 FIA wins, finally reaching 20 wins in Sport mode this past month and reached S rank (Something I wasn't expecting so soon), I really feel like I am hitting my limit. The sooner I can get a desk, the sooner I can use my Logitech G29. Ever since moving, I haven't had any way to properly set it up and use it.

Same. As impressive as it is that I managed 6 FIA wins, finally reaching 20 wins in Sport mode this past month and reached S rank (Something I wasn't expecting so soon), I really feel like I am hitting my limit. The sooner I can get a desk, the sooner I can use my Logitech G29. Ever since moving, I haven't had any way to properly set it up and use it.

Who needs a desk when you have an ironing board and camping chair?

IMG_8266.JPG

I use a PlaySeat Challenge now, but this worked really well before I upgraded my "equipment".

Who needs a desk when you have an ironing board and camping chair?

While I do have a comfortable Chair I got for Christmas before moving out (And my back has been thankful for it ever since) guess what activity I don't do at my apartment :lol:

Sorta afraid to cheap out as the last time I did was when I had the unique experience of having something that was never level, awkward to setup (centerpost = terrible idea) and no matter how tight I had the grips, the wheel would still slide abit, ontop of being attached to something that also wasn't stable.

Guys, I’ve been curious if there’s been any discussion about the next GTS on PS5 regarding account transfer. Anyone know if we will preserve our standings/name/stats & achievements? Will they migrate our data over to the new PS5 servers or will we all start over from DR E?

Anyone read anything on this? Is this the right place for this question?

How come it doesn’t feel like I’m truly having fun with GTS sometimes? I’m almost tempted to think that ranked online should only be for the FIAGTCs. It’s not fun always losing! Sometimes I don’t even know why I keep playing it when there’s so much that could be improved, from a game design angle. I want to maybe offer some feedback (or at least have a formal, calm dialogue) but it’s immensely frustrating to see a game (or game series) with so much potential (GT or otherwise) and not being able to know why something can or can’t be done, because I love learning about how various game titles were designed, via interviews and making-of featurettes. (For example, in Super Metroid, did you know the smaller enemies in Draygon’s room spell out a message?)

I wouldn’t know even where to start with all the suggestions/ideas I had in mind. I barely know how I’d format them - with a mind-map that I’d draw in a sketchbook, rather than a simple word-processor document filled with bullet points. But if someone could ask me what part they wanna hear about, I implore you to let me know.

Last edited:
Guys, I’ve been curious if there’s been any discussion about the next GTS on PS5 regarding account transfer. Anyone know if we will preserve our standings/name/stats & achievements? Will they migrate our data over to the new PS5 servers or will we all start over from DR E?

Seeing as its on your account (and the servers are cloud based if I'm not mistaken), pretty sure they'll carry right over if such a thing were to happen. Not too sure about replays or pictures but I would think your achievements, rank and stats would basically be safe.

For example, do you think using fixed times for races is the best idea?

But it's not just fixed times that play into matchmaking. I was going to suggest the SR and DR but as you've already put KudosPrime in your signature, you would know about that.

For example for this week's Daily Race B, I practiced hours and hours after watching the fastest driver's lap time. I managed to get a 52.502 and cannot seem to be smooth enough for the Hurracan on accelerating or braking or even cornering to muster up a faster lap time on my DS4.

With that said, I would have some races where I was with the top drivers ranked S and A+ and I would qualify 7th with maybe one or two other B rated drivers.

I might then have a couple of races that got too aggressive and rowdy and lose SR during the race.

After those types of races I would then find myself in a B DR room only and qualify first or second. Even saw an S driver in such a race that absolutely murdered the lobby. A few wins in the B lobbies then I would find myself in the A, A+ lobbies.

I've been promoted to A rated finally but I feel I'm still punching up towards A+ level of competitiveness however I lack consistency for me to win enough to be promoted further.

Overall, I feel their matchmaking is good, however their penalty system needs work. At least Kaz himself admits to it and were thankful the team is actively working on it.

There are drivers that abuse it to gain an advantage during the race, ie, bump a car or get bumped and then drive off track to give the target a penalty.

Case in point:

(For example, in Super Metroid, did you know the smaller enemies in Draygon’s room spell out a message?)

As to your point about Easter Eggs, the number you are given during the race is the rank you are in the lobby.

Seeing as its on your account (and the servers are cloud based if I'm not mistaken), pretty sure they'll carry right over if such a thing were to happen. Not too sure about replays or pictures but I would think your achievements, rank and stats would basically be safe.

Aren't your photos, replays, and decals (not personal liveries) stored on the server as well?

Last edited:
After those types of races I would then find myself in a B DR room only and qualify first or second. Even saw an S driver in such a race that absolutely murdered the lobby. A few wins in the B lobbies then I would find myself in the A, A+ lobbies.

And that’s what bothers me. I feel like I’m punished for performing well, or at least not making any progress, since the better I do, the tougher my opponents are, and the less likely I’ll get a pole/win. It’s annoying, especially since you get almost all the time in the world to qualify. Whereas I prefer how it is in the championships, where you only have a limited time, and with tire/fuel consumption enabled if the race also has it on, which is not the same as in Daily Races with tire/fuel consumption on.

Back