GT Sport Update 1.47 Arrives, Introducing Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 317 comments
962 is pure awesomeness around any track. It’s what I use for the Endurance Races
I personally think the 962 is one of the worst handling Gr1 cars, probably second worst to the Nissan LM Nismo. Also the gear changes are anything but smooth.
Yes may be a lengendary race car but it's also an old outdated one.

So the PS4 update system is horribly impractical and outdated. Lets see if they improve it on the PS5

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers,very interesting read from Famine regarding the ps4 update system.Im not a console fanboy and never have been by any stretch but totally prefer the xbone update system by far.👍

Ok finally did the x2019 30 lap Spa Challenge.

The setup is a HSG tune, RS tyres, low downforce, 330km/h final drive. You will be doing a fair bit of pack driving so you will see 320km/h max speeds in a tow.

I use TC off and ABS on that's it. The fuel econ is 8 laps so you will need to work out your final stint strategy.

I started ~40 secs behind the field and this widened out to 50 secs which is disheartening. However it seems like the AI spends too much time on RH/RM and worn tyres so their times degrade visibily. They will also pit too much (not fueling to the brim?)

It took me 15 laps to get to 2nd. Just use FM1 and pit when appropriate.

The crucial point in my race is that I did the undercut and the #2 guy pitted while I had a few laps left in the tank. My laps werent great. I believe I did a 2'01" which is with a tow on both long straights.

Here you have to make a decision... you dont have enough fuel to run to the end on FM1.

You're lap 25/30 with maybe 2-3 laps of fuel. You know the AI will pit. I had up to 20 secs interval to #2 so do you pit with the guy and hopefully scramble out on fresh rubber and a splash of fuel and duke it out? This is an ok strategy if you're #2 and it has worked in the past but its very hard to implement if you're in the lead (#2 will pit and you're already past the pit entrance which is admittedly terribad on Spa).

I gambled and did FM6 on the slow bits and eventually did an FM6 on the whole lap and an FM1 on the final lap to hammer the nail in the coffin.

My finishing interval ended up being only 5 secs since my rubber was no good. The #2 guy tried valiantly on fresh rubber but the clock ran out. Luckily he went down to #4 and he caught traffic before he was even able to glimpse my tail lights.

All in all wasnt that easy.

PLEASE Polyphony no more of the x2019 races. They are killing me.

I personally think the 962 is one of the worst handling Gr1 cars, probably second worst to the Nissan LM Nismo. Also the gear changes are anything but smooth.

Yes may be a lengendary race car but it's also an old outdated one.

Its a bit unfair to compare a 1990s Gr.C car to a modern LMP car.

You have to compare among its era peers and even then, some cars may be better due to being as little as a year newer.

I'm still unsure what Group C cars is best as there hasnt been any real head to head competition... of course my wheel time is largely McLaren VGT or Audi R18... drive a spaceship instead.

I would love some true league matches with the five Group C cars but alas we may never get them.

I use the Group C cars often. The C9 is best. Stock, non-BoP, for Custom Races. It has good power and gearing. Handles better than the R92CP and pulls better in gear.

787B of course, has the best sound. Handles good and has good top speed at La Sarthe.
XJR-9 is really good everywhere as well. Sounds good too.

Bone stock, the 962 just doesn't have the power for Gr.1. Nice car. Probably best vision from cockpit.

Overall, me personally, I rate performance for Gr.1(stock settings) GT League, in order:

C9
787B
XJR-9
R92CP

Its a bit unfair to compare a 1990s Gr.C car to a modern LMP car.

You have to compare among its era peers and even then, some cars may be better due to being as little as a year newer.

I'm still unsure what Group C cars is best as there hasnt been any real head to head competition... of course my wheel time is largely McLaren VGT or Audi R18... drive a spaceship instead.

I would love some true league matches with the five Group C cars but alas we may never get them.
Well you said its awesome in general terms, and I think its not, compared to the newer ones which are much much smoother in general.
I see many people in lobbies (with BOP) that use them because they gain 1 second on the straights... but they should realise they lose 2 seconds in corners too

PLEASE Polyphony no more of the x2019 races. They are killing me.

I don't think we'll necessarily see more unless they correlate to Nations Cup events, like we've seen so far with the other rounds. But given the schedule for Monaco, I'd imagine the next round to be added to that event will be at Interlagos. Personally, I found the X2019 event at Spa to be challenging, but ultimately a bit trivial when I used racing softs and FM2. It worked real well - I only needed to pit twice, and I think I lapped nearly half the field.

Ah the good ol' days when there was substantiative car and track updates.

Recently the car of the week reviewed the 787b. So I took this opportunity to test drive all the Gr.C cars around the 'RIng.

The only car that needed heaps of upgrades was the 962c which needed a bump from 700hp to 940. So all of them are now 940hp and about 900kg.

The two cars I enjoyed the most is the

R92CP and the XJR9. The Nissan I think really is the best overall. I dont know why but it suits my driving style. The power is explosive up top but the motor seems to have good tractability down low too. Not much in the way of vices. The handling seems just a tad too wild but easy enough for me to contain. I cant really explain why it meets the hype. TC off car.

The XJR9 is the Rolls Royce of the five. The V12 has a delayed push but that means its very very docile down low and there's an old turbo like delay like a jet engine spooling up. But the way the power comes on means that it gives you that surge when you're overtaking someone. TC off car. Very stable car like its heavy but this means its easier to drive.

The Sauber C9 and 962 I lump together as the German twins. They drive to a simular level but I think the Sauber just edges it out however you can make the 962 win easily in a race. Both are a tad anonymous to me. The 962 can feel a bit more peaky but eh... its manageable. Both TC off.

The 787 is last. I think I enjoy it the least. Its definitely a TC1 car to me.

At max power but std. weight I think all of them will do around ~6 min flat on the Ring. Most of them will just ping 380 to 400km/h except the 787 which is like 360.

The setups are all lowest aero but the handling means you dont need to sacrifice top end for cornering. With setup alone you should be cornering fine.

Theres makings of a great line of Gr.C challenges but these five will rarely dice offline.

Back