GT Sport's 2020 Updates to be "Modest", Three New Cars Coming Next Week

• Thread starter Stephan
  • 514 comments
So let's get ready watching some Best Motoring stuff straight from '96!

a7c955ac-e3e4-4c41-a8aa-9bdcab741492.jpg

Dbr9 gt1 after this a crappy modern fiat 500 when we already have the abarth version.

I can see why some people are triggered really wait two months for a update only to get a fiat 500 LOL

I hope daily races become daily or a shake up where it lasts for 3 days rather than a week. Still Dbr9 gt1 is surprising and welcoming!! I hope more GT1 cars come especially updates are now getting winded down I hope we get surprised to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
And a handful amount of them were also just PS2 models prior to receiving a 4K treatment in GTS, I believe.
Hahaha what? No!

You play (or watch the gameplay of) GT6 and/or GTSport at all, bro? Somehow very much doubt it.

Hahaha what? No!

You play (or watch the gameplay of) GT6 and/or GTSport at all, bro? Somehow very much doubt it.
Oh, maybe I guess. One car in particular, the Toyota SPORTS 800 '65, was already a premium model in GT6 actually before it debuted in GT Sport. :D

Yeah right... :rolleyes:

Hahaha what? No!

I believe he's referring to the cars added to GT Sport that were originally standard cars in GT6.

And a handful amount of them were also just PS2 models prior to receiving a 4K treatment in GTS, I believe.
Yes, they were. That doesn't change my point though.

I believe he's referring to the cars added to GT Sport that were originally standard cars in GT6.

Yes, they were. That doesn't change my point though.
Yeah I know. I just thought it was worth pointing it out but at least I'm glad you understand me. It's just ironic how I already indicated that there were only a handful of them there and yet, someone still wasn't able to understand and mocks me for saying it.

It’s interesting to calculate how many cars PD is not releasing for Gt Sport but its saving for the next one. We saw 9/12 cars on the first updates, it means circa 10 cars par mounth, it means the next gen of GT will start with almost 500 cars....

I find it fascinating how PD has managed to deliver one GT game for the current generation console whereas T10 have managed to release 6 Forza titles. Are PD really that badly understaffed and lack that many resources?

You have to count only Forza Motorsport games, because Horizon games are developed mainly by Playground games and it is a very different type of a game. Also Forza 5 was released at the same time as GT6 on PS3. In the end Forza 5+6+7 sold around 4,5 mil. copies combined and GT Sport sold over 8 mil. There are not many differences between each FM title. The same cars and tracks, but the next one has a few more.

I find it fascinating how PD has managed to deliver one GT game for the current generation console whereas T10 have managed to release 6 Forza titles. Are PD really that badly understaffed and lack that many resources?

T10 made 3 and they are about as iterative as FIFA - so no thanks.

The other 3 were made by Playground games.

PD does infact have a smaller staff and does way less outsourcing while having much higher asset fidelity and quality.

I came (back) to GT from Forza and the difference in quality was really striking.

Good things just take time.

Ahhh Kaz. :mischievous: I too would put more focus on the next project when you have FM8 which had its first world testing in last December. Making the right choice. Although I have doubts GT7 will release this year, and if it does, PD will just release it in an unfinished state and complete it through updates again. That seems to be their whole main object since GT5, and it seriously needs to stop now.

You have to count only Forza Motorsport games, because Horizon games are developed mainly by Playground games and it is a very different type of a game.
Actually he's right. In spite of both games being different, FH is still associated with T10 even though the game is developed by Playground Games. So technically yes, there were 6 Forza games this generation, more so than last gen which had four (or five if we count FH2 on the X360).

FM8 will have 3 years in development for the first time ever, and unlike the older Forzas, this one is said to be "vastly different" by Chris Esaki (creative director of T10), confirming features like physics having different models of tire and pressure, even new suspension modeling and tire rubbering and so on. You can read more in the link below, if interested.

https://www.gtplanet.net/turn-10-reveals-details-forza-motorsport-8/

I noticed that a lot of the cars they’ve added to this game were in Gran Turismo 6.

T10 made 3 and they are about as iterative as FIFA - so no thanks.

The other 3 were made by Playground games.

PD does infact have a smaller staff and does way less outsourcing while having much higher asset fidelity and quality.

I came (back) to GT from Forza and the difference in quality was really striking.

Good things just take time.

Yeah but this has literally taken the entire life span of the PS4. Not to mention the number of cars and tracks too. Hopefully the next game will be more complete like GT6. The positives are this game game looked great and the content has been all free which was/is very kind of PD and greatly appreciated. I’m looking forward to the next title.

Now I'm definitely not expecting much after his Twitter post. I look forward to what PDI do for the next game.

I just hope it has as many cars and variety as Gran Turismo 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but this has literally taken the entire life span of the PS4. Not to mention the number of cars and tracks too. Hopefully the next game will be more complete like GT6. The positives are this game game looked great and the content has been all free which was/is very kind of PD and greatly appreciated. I’m looking forward to the next title.

Apparently a lot of the groundwork they have done for GTS will benefit future GT titles while also shortening development time.

The cars for example are modeled at a significantly higher resoluition than the PS4 can even handle.

Apparently a lot of the groundwork they have done for GTS will benefit future GT titles while also shortening development time.

The cars for example are modeled at a significantly higher resoluition than the PS4 can even handle.
Sony made the strategic error of putting GT6 exclusively on PS3. In retrospect it should’ve been cross-gen.

That said. It was absolutely the correct decision to rebuild everything to 4K+ standard. As we see in photomode car modelling has matched photorealism. Re-building tracks will have similar benefits. Only needing texture updates for PS5.

That’s without mentioning the huge improvements PD have made in terms of content creation timelines, performance, UI, online, community features etc.

I’m quite content to see a GT Sport PS5 patch. Although I increasingly think we’ll see GT7 at the PS5 reveal.

Sony made the strategic error of putting GT6 exclusively on PS3. In retrospect it should’ve been cross-gen.

That said. It was absolutely the correct decision to rebuild everything to 4K+ standard. As we see in photomode car modelling has matched photorealism. Re-building tracks will have similar benefits. Only needing texture updates for PS5.

That’s without mentioning the huge improvements PD have made in terms of content creation timelines, performance, UI, online, community features etc.

I’m quite content to see a GT Sport PS5 patch. Although I increasingly think we’ll see GT7 at the PS5 reveal.

Pulling a cross gen was super difficult back then because of the CELL processor.

These days everything scales just fine (PS4/PRO/PS5 and the same for the XBOX family), but PS3 architecture really made people suffer.

Going cross gen would most likely have meant outsourcing the port - probably not an option for PD.

-

Still torn on what we´ll get from GT Next. Confident that it will be more than a patch though because I´m sure PD will want a product that they can sell to people.

Either way - super excited.

So because that's your experience, that should be everyone's experience. Seems perfectly rational.

So GT7 will probably be a Ps5 game with ps4 models, or we get the GT Sport experience again. Looking forward to it.
Sure. But we've kind of reached a point where you can't really get much more visual detail out of a car that is noticeable while racing. Unlike "Standard" cars and PS3 "Premiums" these GT Sport models are detailed enough to fit into a PS5 game and not look out of place.

I was about to complain that the 500 appears to the the lame underpowered model we had in GT6 instead of the Abarth. Then I played the the game yesterday and realized we got the Abarth in one previous update...:dunce:
We could still use the 595 version with the sick exhaust note, but it made me realize how little I actually use all of the cars that are already in the game. I'll start using my cash.

For me GT Sport is the only game, which I want to play again and again. I don't need more cars and tracks for being happy with the game. >90% of the time I play GTS. Other games are NFS Heat, Grid, F1 and at least Wreckfest.

Forza has a lot more staff.

Could be, noone knows. With recent news, it sounds to me like it they're more focused on improving the frame-rate than graphics, so it might not matter.

Also, really? Moving the goalposts?
I don't know what goalposts I'm moving. I was talking about the car count of one game compared to another. I genuinely don't care where the car models originated from.
Sure. But we've kind of reached a point where you can't really get much more visual detail out of a car that is noticeable while racing. Unlike "Standard" cars and PS3 "Premiums" these GT Sport models are detailed enough to fit into a PS5 game and not look out of place.
Again, not sure why we're focusing on car models all of a sudden. GT6: 1200+ cars. GTS 300+ cars. But the angle that people prefer the latter is pretty funny.

Again, not sure why we're focusing on car models all of a sudden. GT6: 1200+ cars. GTS 300+ cars. But the angle that people prefer the latter is pretty funny.

Better looking cars take longer to make.

GTS has always been a quality over quantity game. That´s very much a conscious decision PD made and I´m fully on board with it.

The inconsistencies of the PS3 installments were what drove me away from GT and towards Forza for a bit there.

GT5 & 6 were messy games. GTS is polished AF.

Better looking cars take longer to make.

GTS has always been a quality over quantity game. That´s very much a conscious decision PD made and I´m fully on board with it.

The inconsistencies of the PS3 installments were what drove me away from GT and towards Forza for a bit there.

GT5 & 6 were messy games. GTS is polished AF.
I prefer games that are fun to play over fun to look at.

I also agree that these current models will be in the next GT because why would they spend the time making 300+ car models just so they can be scrapped the next title. Then the PS5 GT will start out just like GT Sport again because of having to restart all the work with a very minimal amount of cars.
The only current improvements with the cars I see that need little may be small various textures and increased polygon count when on the track.

Car count does not contribute to the fun I have at all, but I guess this is subjective.
And that's perfectly fine. While there's a lot of enjoyable aspects of GTS, it's far from a perfect game in my eyes. What I don't understand why people get so bent at criticism of this game, especially in the update threads.

Back