GT Sport's 2020 Updates to be "Modest", Three New Cars Coming Next Week

• Thread starter Stephan
  • 514 comments
A game that keeps its servers active well after its shelf life, to sustain a community of <1% who think "the new one just isn't the same maaan", is a good video game.
There was no reason to shutdown GT5/GT6 servers so early. Sony still did it. Companies like Blizzard or Microsoft keep their old games alive and this should be applauded.

I hope GTS servers stay online for years to come. But don't hold my breath, because Sony is shutting downs servers more often than others, despite earning billions with PS+.

T10 have managed to release 6 Forza titles. Are PD really that badly understaffed and lack that many resources
Turn10 made three games and helped a bit with FH franchise. Not 6 games like you suggested.

T10 made 3 and they are about as iterative as FIFA - so no thanks
lol. FM doesn't release every year.

PD does infact have a smaller staff and does way less outsourcing while having much higher asset fidelity and quality.

I came (back) to GT from Forza and the difference in quality was really striking.
PD uses outsourcing aswell since GTS iirc. Didn't hurt the quality did it :P

Some of y’all take this driving game a little too serious

NO U. Games largely focused on realistic enough driving need to be treated with the absolute utmost grimseriousness. /s

OK, time for the one post thread summary, for TL;DR purposes:

- Kaz has betrayed us time and time again

- The DBR9 being added makes it an incontrovertible FACT that Kaz is deliberately leaving the
Toyota GTONE, Mercedes CLK-GTR, Maserati MC12 GT, Ford GT GTE, Bentley Continental GT3, Ferrari 488 GT3, etc...
out of the game on purpose just to spite us, and there's no way we've just whipped ourselves into a circular frenzy over 2 years posting these cars so often that we've convinced ourselves that it's 100% logical they'd be the next conclusion even if there's zero evidence to support that conclusion

- A game that releases free extra content, regardless how frequent or bountiful, is a bad video game.

- A game that keeps its servers active well after its shelf life, to sustain a community of <1% who think "the new one just isn't the same maaan", is a good video game.

- The "Traditional Numbered Gran Turismo Game" is a real concept that we didn't make up, has always been the way GT operates, and will endure until the end of time.

- Gran Turismo 7 will be GT Sport without offline mode, released simultaneously for Ps1-5, and will be locked to 18FPS. It will, however, have ray tracing.

- The car you want isn't coming.

- It's never coming.

- Mazda drivers should prep for deep backstabbing from Kaz.

- Being a mod on GTPlanet is a fate worse than death, or about on par with marriage.

- The. Car. You. Want. Isn't. Coming.

I like you now, all this list needs is the tracklist of every major sim racer of the last 10-15 years.

I prefer games that are fun to play over fun to look at.
And that is where PD lies since GT5. They totally forgot how to make 'games' for enjoyment, rather than for looks. It's also one of the reasons why I moved on to Forza and haven't looked back since. They just know how to entertain their players and give them what they want, whereas PD are always so stuck up about "the future" of the franchise.

I want GT7 to be good, but unless PD makes it 'the game' that made GT famous in the first place, they're forever going to be stuck in a loop trying to aim for "perfection". :rolleyes:

lol. Never said it did?

Hence my use of the word "less".

It implies that they also use outsoucing only less so.
How do you know PD outsources less than Turn10 without having worked for both?

You compared FM to FIFA. FIFA is released yearly.

How do you know PD outsources less than Turn10 without having worked for both?

Glassdoor reviews, articles, forums.... the usual... I´ve been a huge Forza fan since Forza 2 before coming to GTS. I´ve been following the series very closely.

Huge chunks of the content and asset creation at T10 is outsourced to India and Vietnam.

GT seems to be slightly different.

This article here has really cool insights into GT and how it is made:

https://www.gtplanet.net/how-gran-turismo-is-made/

And this one on outsourcing:

https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-may-finally-be-outsourcing-3d-modeling-work/

So yes they are doing some outsourcing, but by all accounts it seems like they do it way less so.

Gonna go on a tangent since this thread has devolved into what one of the posters said on the summary of this thread. Oh and also adding in "what's fun on a GT game", "quality vs quantity arguments", etc.

Talking about liveries, can't wait for the livery guys to work their magic on making DBR9 liveries after seeing the real life liveries on the car such as the Young Driver AMR, Vitaphone, AMR liveries, etc.
2598077932_c809996921_b.jpg

As for the 180SX, well at least those guys who keep on making the Ryan Cooper liveries will have a proper car to work on.

I don't know what goalposts I'm moving. I was talking about the car count of one game compared to another. I genuinely don't care where the car models originated from.
I made a counter-argument to your's about GT6's higher car count, then you changed your argument to say that the next GT may use previous console hardware. That sounds like moving the goalpost to me.

Which doesn't really work as an argument when current-gen GT car models look so incredibly good, that if they were ported over. I bet nobody could tell the difference (unless they just love to nitpik).

Again, not sure why we're focusing on car models all of a sudden. GT6: 1200+ cars. GTS 300+ cars. But the angle that people prefer the latter is pretty funny.
That's exactly why people are talking about car models, especifically the quality. Yes, GT6 has a higher car count, but that barely means anything when most of the cars in GT6 are from the PS2. In addition, a good chunk of those cars are full-on duplicates, the car list as a whole is inflated. GT Sport meanwhile is better model consistency.

If you still don't get the issue, having PS2 models on a grid with what's supposed to be a PS3 game is immersion breaking to some people. It becomes distracting to see a car with jagged edges on the model.

Last edited:
Very interesting update with a few cars this time round.

2020 may be modest year for game content and updates, considering that the developers have spent tremendous effort and time to smoothen out the gameplay mechanics, and quash out as much issues as possible since release. That's deserving credit I'd say.

We may have grudges and complaints over how it's developed post-release, but I'm sure it's worth every effort they make to transform new models into the already aging PS4 hardware to take full advantage of the capabilities and pushing to the real limit.

As much as I desire like everyone else, I do hope for more content to be added in.

(P.S. Where's our Formula E car)

Each GT iteration came at least at the midlife for each console generation. As a result I believe PD did a wonderful job squeezing every drop of computing power the console had.
I'm worried an early release of the next GT game would mean a less optimized performance compared to what the console will allow.

+ I'm not sure I am going to jump on the PS 5 as soon as it releases. Each generation has had reliability issues... So at least I wouldn't have the frustration of having a GT game out and not be able to play

Even if the updates are 'modest' at 3 cars per update, that's still 30 more cars this year, which leaves plenty of scope for some interesting additions.
Unless there are other exceptions for some upcoming months aside from January and it's only going for exactly 3 cars per update, then that estimate of 30 cars seem to be reasonable.

Millions of drift missiles will start flooding the livery gallery.
I kinda expect the Ryan Cooper ones to start flooding the livery collection first seeing as I've seen a lot of Ryan Cooper liveries on the community page but not as a much as the Most Wanted M3 ones. And seeing as how simple it is to make compared to the mentioned M3, yeah. But I do see your point.

Sadly I think 3 cars every two mounths, so about 15 new ones
Yes, I also think this can't be overlooked at the same time but people will rather point out that PD is already starting to focus in making the next game instead.

I made a counter-argument to your's about GT6's higher car count, then you changed your argument to say that the next GT may use previous console hardware. That sounds like moving the goalpost to me.

Which doesn't really work as an argument when current-gen GT car models look so incredibly good, that if they were ported over. I bet nobody could tell the difference (unless they just love to nitpik).
Well you made it sound like a negative, so I decided to point out that GT7 may end up following the same path as GT6. So I'm having trouble understanding the difference. But the point that I want to drive home is where the code for a car originated from is completely irrelevant to me.

That's exactly why people are talking about car models, specifically the quality. Yes, GT6 has a higher car count, but that barely means anything when most of the cars in GT6 are from the PS2. In addition, a good chunk of those cars are full-on duplicates, the car list as a whole is inflated. GT Sport meanwhile is better model consistency.

If you still don't get the issue, having PS2 models on a grid with what's supposed to be a PS3 game is immersion breaking to some people. It becomes distracting to see a car with jagged edges on the model.
You're gonna talk about "better model consistency" in regards to this update when they're literally adding a slower version of a car that's already in the game (Fiat 500). And that joins the 4 GT86s, 3 "saftety car" versions of road cars, and two super formula cars that make a slightly different noise. GT Sport also makes you pay for a Lewis Hamilton version of an existing car, all they did is stick a spoiler on it.

As I said before, I'll take fun over visual effects.

I've been refreshing my knowledge of the Nissan 180SX, which everyone expects with this update. What an overcomplicated naming strategy this car had globally...

180SX - Japanese market name for Silvia S13 fastback
200SX - European market name for S13 fastback (only body shape available). Subsequently the nameplate for S14.
240SX - North American market name for S13 fastback (only body shape available). Subsequently the nameplate for S14 (240SX not to be confused with Datsun 240Z)

In Japan the Nissan Silvia S14 replaced the Silvia S13, but the fastback S13 (180SX) survived to coexist alongside the new S14, whereas in Europe and North America the S13 fastback was replaced entirely by the S14, but carrying on with fastback's SX nameplates. Finally, the 180SX and Silvia were sold at different JDM-only sub-outlets of Nissan dealerships - Bluebird and Prince.

My brain is now fried.

Last edited:
I've been refreshing my knowledge of the Nissan 180SX, which everyone expects with this update. What an overcomplicated naming strategy this car had globally...

180SX - Japanese market name for Silvia S13 fastback
200SX - European market name for S13 fastback (only body shape available). Subsequently the nameplate for S14.
240SX - North American market name for S13 fastback (only body shape available). Subsequently the nameplate for S14 (240SX not to be confused with Datsun 240Z)

In Japan the Nissan Silvia S14 replaced the Silvia S13, but the fastback S13 (180SX) survived to coexist alongside the new S14, whereas in Europe and North America the S13 fastback was replaced entirely by the S14, but carrying on with fastback's SX nameplates. Finally, the 180SX and Silvia were sold at different JDM-only sub-outlets of Nissan dealerships - Prince and Bluebird.

My brain is now fried.
Now do the engines :D

Well you made it sound like a negative, so I decided to point out that GT7 may end up following the same path as GT6. So I'm having trouble understanding the difference. But the point that I want to drive home is where the code for a car originated from is completely irrelevant to me.
Because it kinda is negative to resuse models to have such a huge quality gap on newer hardware compared to PS3's car models. It's hardly the same between the PS4 & PS5 when that gap is so much smaller.

You're gonna talk about "better model consistency" in regards to this update when they're literally adding a slower version of a car that's already in the game (Fiat 500). And that joins the 4 GT86s, 3 "saftety car" versions of road cars, and two super formula cars that make a slightly different noise. GT Sport also makes you pay for a Lewis Hamilton version of an existing car, all they did is stick a spoiler on it.
When I said "better model consistency", I'm talking about the fact GT Sport right now at the very least doesn't use PS2 assets, leaving more consistent visuals across the board. Gran Turismo 6 (as much as I liked it), didn't have that. Oh for sure, I used some of those standards, but I would be lying to myself if I thought having them there was a good idea.

Also, while you having a point about GT Sport having some of its own issues with duplicates. They still are nothing in comparison to the 30 different NA Miatas, mult-regioned variants of Mitsubishi 3000GTs, multiple variations of R34 Skyline GT-Rs, or mutiple liveries of Super GT cars counting as different cars in GT6.

When there's 800 car models in a racing game that look like this;
Suzuki_ALTO_WORKS_SUZUKI_SPORT_LIMITED_%2797.jpg

While the other cars look like this:
Celica.jpg

Then there's a problem.

Back