GT7 September Update Predictions

But if PD has the ability to churn out that many cars each month, why limit themselves to only three?
My guess would be to prolong the longevity of the game. Given that updates that add cars are monthly, less cars per update means more updates overall. Also, I think there were more cars in GTS' updates because of how relatively austere the car list was at launch, which I think in turn was because PD really wanted to update the models for the PS4/PS5. Keep in mind that tons of iconic cars were absent from GTS' launch, whether they were available in previous GT games, or were iconic in real life but had yet to debut in the world of GT.

My bet would be that since GT7 launched with a much better car list than GTS, PD doesn't feel like they need to add more than three cars per update, since there's not this egregious lack of icons at the start, like how the Toyota Supra (A80) wasn't present at GTS' launch.

Anyway, the datamined list of cars leaves me with more questions than answers. For example, wasn't PD seen scanning tons of cars that aren't in the datamine, like a GT300-spec Prius, and a Lancia Fulvia? And what about the Vazirani Shul, which has a mysterious "Inspire Gran Turismo" label somewhere on it? (Could that be some sort of project related to the VGTs?) Then there are cars that are a shoe-in for GT, like the GR Corolla, or the Gr.1-spec Genesis VGT that's very likely to be coming.

I'm still excited for this update, even if I've detected a pattern which implies there'll be no tracks this month. More specifically, I think it'll go "layout-venue-layout" on a bi-monthly basis, as we had the Spa 24h layout in April, the Glen in June, and the three Catalunya layouts in August. Fortunately, even if no new venues/layouts are added this next Thursday, that may suggest it'll be highly likely we'll have an all-new venue in October's update.

As for selling cars, I'm not sure if PD ever gave a specific timeframe for when that feature would be added. I think they only implied it'd be sometime shortly after launch, but if they plan for GT7 to last a very long time, the concept of "shortly after launch" could mean something other than what we'd assume it to be. At any rate, I hope it's not as simple as deleting a car from your garage in exchange for credits like it's usually been. Indeed, it might even be worth the wait if PD can make selling cars something fun in itself.

Last edited:
A lot of the modelling is outsourced, and there are more than enough people outside of PD to outsource to.
We do have info that they outsourced part of the modelling but do we actually how much of it or even which parts? From what I gathered PD was very reluctant to even have any part of their modelling outsourced because they didn't trust any 3rd party to live up to their own quality standards. Might just be they outsourced scapes or parts of track modelling?

Anyhow, the rate at which 'new' cars are coming to the game is too slow, there still are so few 2020 and newer cars in the game, I think Forza even had more in their one trailer than we have in the game right now, and so many iconic real life and Gran Turismo cars are missing.

But if PD has the ability to churn out that many cars each month, why limit themselves to only three?
That doesn’t mean PD can create 5 new cars each month. I think their bigger plan was to be already working on the car list for GT7 and they were bulking up cars. And they just “gave” us a decent chunk of those cars in GTS as well. I don’t think PD is now “bulking up for GT8” or something. Maybe they also added some temporary working force to increase their amount of cars in the past few years to bulk up for the GT7 release, and now that working force might already have been decreased.

It really is time you provided evidence for your claims.
PD aren’t randomly knocking out three cars per month. These things are planned months, if not years, in advance. Not least because of licensing considerations and marketing co-ordination with partners likes Porsche.

GT Sport's monthly cars were like 5 to 8, IIRC.
GTS’s DLC updates where untypical because of the state of the game at launch. Both in terms of content and features. They where mid-gen and in catch-up mode.

GT7 has had a more typical, early gen, launch and standardised DLC schedule. That tells us what was planned for the first 6 months (and probably upto Christmas). Beyond that we don’t know if this will be the course for the next 2-3 years. Or if there will be more notable updates like a Spec 2.0 or even paid DLC.

Same goes for PSVR2, PC and what have you. PD (or any 1st party studio for that matter) can’t say a word until the higher up’s give the go-ahead.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is already mentioned but when is the update due please?

PD aren’t randomly knocking out three cars per month. These things are planned months, if not years, in advance. Not least because of licensing considerations and marketing co-ordination with partners likes Porsche.

GTS’s DLC updates where untypical because of the state of the game at launch. Both in terms of content and features. They where mid-gen and in catch-up mode.

GT7 has had a more typical, early gen, launch and standardised DLC schedule. That tells us what was planned for the first 6 months (and probably upto Christmas). Beyond that we don’t know if this will be the course for the next 2-3 years. Or if there will be more notable updates like a Spec 2.0 or even paid DLC.

Same goes for PSVR2, PC and what have you. PD (or any 1st party studio for that matter) can’t say a word until the higher up’s give the go-ahead.
1. If this was truly planned “years in advance” - then I’m genuinly concerned. Considering the state of previous updates such as adding a pointless identical version of Spa, it almost seems like a slap in the face towards the fanbase.

2. GT7 was released in an underwhelming state (only difference it had more day 1 cars but a lot of stuff was carried over) so in that instance, GT7 is in catch-up mode - it has quite a lot of catching up to do.

3. It’s hardly a great DLC schedule - it almost feels like “hey, lets pick three random cars which aren’t always quite useful in GT7 yet” - if this was continued after Christmas, then updates in the future would almost be too redundant as players may have had enough but I hope they increase it a bit - 6 cars would be well received for example.

4. I don’t know enough currently about who tells PD (if that) what they can deliver for the update but I’m sure someone can elaborate on that point and whether it‘s true or not.

So as usual, no evidence of your claim that it's Sony's doing.

Would
1. If this was truly planned “years in advance” - then I’m genuinly concerned. Considering the state of previous updates such as adding a pointless identical version of Spa, it almost seems like a slap in the face towards the fanbase.

2. GT7 was released in an underwhelming state (only difference it had more day 1 cars but a lot of stuff was carried over) so in that instance, GT7 is in catch-up mode - it has quite a lot of catching up to do.

3. It’s hardly a great DLC schedule - it almost feels like “hey, lets pick three random cars which aren’t always quite useful in GT7 yet” - if this was continued after Christmas, then updates in the future would almost be too redundant as players may have had enough but I hope they increase it a bit - 6 cars would be well received for example.

4. I don’t know enough currently about who tells PD (if that) what they can deliver for the update but I’m sure someone can elaborate on that point and whether it‘s true or not.
this game needs roadmap updates at least to pique some interests to say the least!

Because they need a pile of new cars up their sleeves for GT8, and they're not going to be able to make them in the three months before they release that game. They start now, and they pocket some of their work for release with a new iteration of the series.

This is completely normal and reasonable, and I'd be disappointed in them if they were dumb enough not to do this.
That says nothing about who's doing the planning. Unless you think PD is literally incapable of planning months or years in advance and so therefore it must be Sony's doing.

I half hope half predict that there will be some work on the tread wear to bring it back slightly to how it used to be. It's strange that you can now set a fastest lap on old tires.

I half hope half predict that there will be some work on the tread wear to bring it back slightly to how it used to be. It's strange that you can now set a fastest lap on old tires.
That's just them allowing you to do your best Mark Webber Impression.

Doubt it.

Well, that Suzuki deal seemed to be pretty quick. We don’t know how long both parties were in talks for.

When that Mazda RX-V GT3 was announced, that was six months from sketch reveal to DLC.

The Genesis has been revealed and I guess we’ll see how long it takes to make it in game. Maybe Jordan, Famine, Tom & company, can get more info on time frames.

Doubt it.
I mean, the logistics of putting together a model itself and doing some basic QA testing means it's planned at least a few months in advance. Modelling and programming aren't magic, they take some time. Add in the likely business shenanigans of organising licencing, even if Polyphony batches it up front with the manufacturers as much as possible, and there's a fair amount of lead time on any given car. I'd assume that if Sony told Polyphony tomorrow to get a 1997 Winckelstein Powermaster 550 4WDti in the game with nothing in place, a six month turn-around would be fairly amazing and anything under a year is pretty good.

A reasonable amount of work and forethought has to go into even the "random" cars that they give us, which makes it all the more puzzling why they appear to be so random. If they're gonna go to all that trouble, surely they'd take that one tiny extra step of planning out what would be beneficial to gameplay. Get fields of cars that have historically raced together or are at least reasonable rivals to create cool fantasy races. Fill out big gaps in the roster. Have a theme for the three cars each month.

The three they give us aren't random as such, but that they appear to be just a grab bag of whatever Polyphony could get their hands on is pretty weird.

I mean, the logistics of putting together a model itself and doing some basic QA testing means it's planned at least a few months in advance. Modelling and programming aren't magic, they take some time. Add in the likely business shenanigans of organising licencing, even if Polyphony batches it up front with the manufacturers as much as possible, and there's a fair amount of lead time on any given car. I'd assume that if Sony told Polyphony tomorrow to get a 1997 Winckelstein Powermaster 550 4WDti in the game with nothing in place, a six month turn-around would be fairly amazing and anything under a year is pretty good.

A reasonable amount of work and forethought has to go into even the "random" cars that they give us, which makes it all the more puzzling why they appear to be so random. If they're gonna go to all that trouble, surely they'd take that one tiny extra step of planning out what would be beneficial to gameplay. Get fields of cars that have historically raced together or are at least reasonable rivals to create cool fantasy races. Fill out big gaps in the roster. Have a theme for the three cars each month.

The three they give us aren't random as such, but that they appear to be just a grab bag of whatever Polyphony could get their hands on is pretty weird.
Nonsense! They are just lazy and insult their customers. Worst GT ever 😜

Back