GTAV - General Off Road Discussion | LS 4x4 Crew

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 3,098 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a photo from that "trail/wash" that goes up under the cable cars on Chiliad.
I haven't been able to make it up that side of Chilliad - under the cable cars. Has anyone made it? I also haven't tried with a Mesa so it could be only that vehicle can make it.

You guys ever noticed oil leaking from your trucks? Just gave the 'Cable Car Trail' a try, was doing quite well when I noticed oil pouring from my Rebel. It was even leaving an oil trail on the ground. I continued on, after a couple minutes my trucks engine died and I lost brakes. Sailed down the climb backwards for a bit then got wedged between some rocks and could do nothing. The starter would crank, but that's it. Pretty amusing.

Here's a photo from that "trail/wash" that goes up under the cable cars on Chiliad.

Could be categorised as "Insane difficulty", I've descended it on a motorcross bike and it's potentially possible to descend in a 4x4. There's some really tight sections which you'll have to drive almost completely pitched over on a rock. The top sector is pretty easy, but towards the mid-lower parts it's crazy rocky.

Yeah, might add that one and a few other "non-roads" tomorrow to the map. Going to do some exploring in a bit. Hopefully I get a reply from Rockstar on the 4WD thing.

Im pretty sure most of the SUV are 4WD. If it was all RWD. Stop on a very steep incline. Then try to go again. If its RWD it wont grip and go down the Steep Incline..

Ive tried that have 4WD

Gallivanter Baller

Dundreary Landstalker

Dundreary Granger

Canis Seminole

Canis Mesa

Benefactor Dubsta

Albany Cavalcade

Merryweather Mesa.

Im pretty sure most of the SUV are 4WD. If it was all RWD. Stop on a very steep incline. Then try to go again. If its RWD it wont grip and go down the Steep Incline..

...but when you lose traction only the rear wheels spin. And when you have less than 4 wheels on the ground it just loses traction. If they are 4WD, something is not working right = needs to be fixed. I got frustrated a couple times last night exploring because I lost traction in the stupidest places that a full time 4WD vehicle should be able to go up with no issues.

...but when you lose traction only the rear wheels spin. And when you have less than 4 wheels on the ground it just loses traction. If they are 4WD, something is not working right = needs to be fixed. I got frustrated a couple times last night exploring because I lost traction in the stupidest places that a full time 4WD vehicle should be able to go up with no issues.

I was fine. I did all the trails fine in a Stock Evoque.

I was fine. I did all the trails fine in a Stock Evoque.

Do them slowly. Like crawling slowly, you start to lose traction you stop in a hurry. Something is not right with them, this has been confirmed many times.

Do them slowly. Like crawling slowly, you start to lose traction you stop in a hurry. Something is not right with them, this has been confirmed many times.

I go slowly O.o.. I mean like decent speed not to fast or to slow.. I tried in my Vapid Vic, And since open diff. Didnt go well though. On the same trail i did with the Evoque.

Like this slow:

Not to mention these things won't crawl over simple boulders in the game. :rolleyes:

Edit: Here's some photos I snapped last night while exploring.

I had a hell of a time trying to get past this point. with real 4WD it wouldn't be an issue...

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for DP, just updated the Maps in the OP with new routes (some that are not actually roads) and also added a Satellite view to help with finding the back country trails that are not on official maps. Northern Chiliad trail added with Extreme difficulty, take at your own risk. ;)

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you keep your foot slightly on the brakes the car will pull itself up. If it starts to slip, just stop and start again. I managed to climb up Mount Josiah with no trails in my Rebel, until I went too far and rolled down the other side, almost into Fort Zancudo.

Josiah isn't the issue taking the trail I have listed on the maps. And I've noticed that if I start to slip and actually let out the gas and feather it very gently it does re-gain grip. But the fact that when you lose grip and only two tires spin, or if you have a wheel in the air and it's the only one that spins, those shouldn't be happening. We need lockers!

I know, I agree with the 4WD thing, I was just giving advice for anyone struggling to make steep inclines. :P

Beginning to think that the right-hand "fork" of the Mt. Chilliad trail might be completely passable for people with the right technique. Using the "complete lunatic" approach, (if it doesn't go up this section first time, try again with more power!) I'm well over half way up the mountain in the fully tuned Dubsta!
0_0.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/snapmatic/photo/whJNIhmJQEeBSY6B0IplgQ (Link includes photo location marker)

Definitely a few sections where you need to attack really hard, even using rock faces as "bouncer" platforms, but if you want a high difficulty mountain ascent, I think this will sort out the men from the boys! :sly:

(EDIT: Got a surprising amount of the way up, but then it started raining, so had to abort the mission. Definitely going to have another go at this though!)

Last edited:
0_0.jpg

Got my Rebel... Modifications are going to take forever to achieve with this leveling business. Hopefully I'll be able to try some of these routes tonight!

Anyone up for a group trip through some of these trails tomorrow? I'm itching to test these out, but I feel it could be alot more fun with others.

ZDUPH
Anyone up for a group trip through some of these trails tomorrow? I'm itching to test these out, but I feel it could be alot more fun with others.

I need more time to get settled online if I can get it to work for me at all.

Silver-Sylph
It would be cool if there was a button to engage diff lock or something.

I have even thought that was the case when I noticed that some of the 4x4 trucks only run with the rear wheels in the game.

TheKitten

Ive tried that have 4WD

Gallivanter Baller

Dundreary Landstalker

Dundreary Granger

Canis Seminole

Canis Mesa

Benefactor Dubsta

Albany Cavalcade

Merryweather Mesa.

Too bad that the pickup trucks only run in rear wheels. I hope Rockstar would fix this in an update.

How is everybody modifying their Canis Mesa's??? Where are you going? I don't have any appearance modifications available for the Mesa at LSC or Beeker's garage. :confused:

They're not, you have to steal that one during a mission. It's the Merryweather Mesa. I think its "The Wrap Up" mission, you can steal it and save it in your garage.

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Did a lot of offroading last night with Doog and Pinkintron, the Sandking definitely is not suited for this kind of thing. Once it loses momentum, the rear wheels just spin endlessly. Combined with its huge dimensions, it just isn't suited for this.

On the other hand, the Rebel absolutely killed everything, until I tried going backwards down a wash on Chiliad, hit a rock, rolled for what felt like ages down the whole mountain, and then stopped here.
0_0.jpg
Some of these trails are brutal when you go too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back