Is Gran Turismo Sport great or disappointment game.

• Thread starter kemmac
  • 112 comments

Definitely a yes

I Like the game, think the racing is great. I am disappointed that there are not more online sport races, given that the online side has been promoted so heavily and is even in the name of the game. Sony and PD do need a big boot up the backside and have many more races and more varied events. The "test season" problems should have been ironed out in beta not at this stage.

that's a tutorial. once you can gold all of that then you're ready to really start racing. who the hell beats a game's tutorial and thinks they've finished it? rediculous
The Driving School and the Circuit Experience modes are just glorified license tests, yeah. But the Mission Challenge mode is anything but. Again, it's more or less in the same vein as GT5P's Events mode.

I've really been enjoying it so far, but the lack of a GT mode is certainly disappointing. At the same time I've tried to keep an open mind to understand and appreciate the game's approach in that the Sport mode IS the (new) GT mode in this game, and it's definitely fun to hop in a bunch of races against real people instead of predictable AI. It's a nice, bold and daring approach and I admire them for trying something different, but sometimes I just want to play offline, and with the limited amount of campaign events it's certainly disappointing.

It's too bad because the overall package this time is much improved from GT5/6 and the game feels more refined, but it still is lacking in areas. Rather than being a 10/10 simulator in a 5/10 package as IGN said of GT5, I'd say it's a probably a 10/10 simulator in a 7-7.5/10 package this time around. Pretty good but could certainly be better. But again, that said I've really been enjoying it so the game has certainly done some things right and is a joy to play.

I think it’s brilliant! Having played GT1-6 I was dreading having to do the Sunday cup in Ford Focus!

PD have been brave and have come up with a winner!

Sport mode is addictive and the occasional idiot makes you mad but want to keep going

I don’t have the time now to sit slogging through career mode so the occasional daily GR.4 race seems to keep me coming back whenever I can! Sometimes the season races if I like the track!

I’m looking forward to more wide tracks like Kyoto and dragon trail

I’m looking forward to more wide tracks like Kyoto and dragon trail

It's really incredible how good PD are at designing original tracks. I felt GT5/6's renditions were a bit lacking after how good everything in GT1-4 were. Cape Ring was ambitious but not particularly a fun track. We may have lost Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, Grand Valley etc, but now we have some new gems -- Kyoto-Yamagiwa, Dragon Trail, Lake Maggiore... All fantastic tracks and if you didn't know any better you might think they really existed.

Wish I could say the same about the rally tracks though lol... I can only imagine if they took that time to make more original tracks or real life circuits, it would've helped bolster the game quite a bit.

I can understand why people are upset but in all honesty I wanted the game for online racing and it's not like the game was mis-advertised or anything, currently I have over 80hrs with the game and 30hrs actual driving so I've got my money's worth

There are two ways to view this game...

1) Avid racing fan
2) Avid sim racing fan

I cannot be happy with the physics so I am turned off by the game completely. If I wasn't after the truest simulation available then this game has good online match making but then is extremely lite on content. It's a good game but in comparison to what else is on the market I'm left disappointed.

My opinion is based heavily on physics, the force feedback, and minimal real life tracks.

The Driving School and the Circuit Experience modes are just glorified license tests, yeah. But the Mission Challenge mode is anything but. Again, it's more or less in the same vein as GT5P's Events mode.

They are just extended tutorials meant to teach longer form concepts from the driving school. They aren't just a series of random races, there's always a technical nuance they want you to learn just like the driving school. Again, all of those things are just tools so you don't go online and look like a kook.

It's a competitive online game with no story and no ending.

It's really incredible how good PD are at designing original tracks. I felt GT5/6's renditions were a bit lacking after how good everything in GT1-4 were. Cape Ring was ambitious but not particularly a fun track. We may have lost Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, Grand Valley etc, but now we have some new gems -- Kyoto-Yamagiwa, Dragon Trail, Lake Maggiore... All fantastic tracks and if you didn't know any better you might think they really existed.

Wish I could say the same about the rally tracks though lol... I can only imagine if they took that time to make more original tracks or real life circuits, it would've helped bolster the game quite a bit.

More tracks are coming. And those stalwart tracks that have been in EVERY Gran Turismo game, trust me, they will be back. I am most impressed by Interlagos... that is a real F1/GP track in Brazil. Interlagos means "between lakes" and it is indeed between two lakes :D

It won't feature microtransactions. The DLCs won't be free, probably.

The already said all add on will be free. Better be since the game feel new if it was released 3 years ago. It's way behind the competition in terms of cars and tracks. I don't mind playing while they finish but I sure as hell won't pay for more content.

There are two ways to view this game...

1) Avid racing fan
2) Avid sim racing fan

I cannot be happy with the physics so I am turned off by the game completely. If I wasn't after the truest simulation available then this game has good online match making but then is extremely lite on content. It's a good game but in comparison to what else is on the market I'm left disappointed.

My opinion is based heavily on physics, the force feedback, and minimal real life tracks.

That's on purpose. They designed a game that's easy to play. I don't like Project Cars 2 because its to real to the point of being to hard with no need for it. As the developers say racing isn't meant to he "hard" in real life so why develop a game that over emphasizes the physics to the point of being a hyper exaggeration of reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

At first I was disappointed by the usual superficial reasons, lack of offline career mode, less car choices, having to unlock level 20 to drive the Nurburgring in arcade(ended up using endurance glitch for that). Gaming the SR rating to get out of bumper car mode was also annoying.

After spending some time with the game though, I find it very good and forgive the initial hurdles. Having driven cars on track, I feel most other racing games are harder than driving an actual car which doesn't make sense, so I think GT S strikes a good balance. I like having accessible/quick to access racing on a console too.

The already said all add on will be free.

No, no PD didn't — and it's unfortunate people continue spreading this misinformation around the internet.

Kazunori stated there would be no microtransactions — and so far, there aren't — but MTs =/= DLC.

Considering Yamauchi-san's stated goal of 500 cars by the end of the game's life (triple what it launched with), it'd be unprecedented for PD to release all of that for free. No full-priced game in the genre has come close to that. A mix of free and paid? Seems more likely.

Also, please don't double-post. The +Quote and Edit features allow you to respond to more than one person at a time. :)

No, no PD didn't — and it's unfortunate people continue spreading this misinformation around the internet.

Kazunori stated there would be no microtransactions — and so far, there aren't — but MTs =/= DLC.

Considering Yamauchi-san's stated goal of 500 cars by the end of the game's life (triple what it launched with), it'd be unprecedented for PD to release all of that for free. No full-priced game in the genre has come close to that. A mix of free and paid? Seems more likely.

Also, please don't double-post. The +Quote and Edit features allow you to respond to more than one person at a time. :)
But if PD DID do this it would be unprecedented and break the video game industry. Ok, just kidding, I️ am a millennial that remembers the good days of video gaming, you know, when games came out finished and didn’t cost more than the box store charged you.

I'm sure most people have already said this, being skeptical at first and then taking the time to play the game and finding it to be very enjoyable. My situation was exactly that. I hated...actually I still hate playing online, but after trying GTS online, I've found a level of competition that I did not know I wanted to be a part of (and the AI from single player cannot compare). Just like that, GTS became the only game that I play online. I bought a full year of PS Plus subscription...heck after playing it for 2 days, I even went and bought a racing seat and cockpit for my G29 just because I had a feeling I will be putting in a ton of hours....and I wasn't wrong. I've played it everyday since it came out.

Now I'll also say, the game is not perfect. It lacks content (particularly tracks and some more cars) and there are a ton of stuff that still needs fine tuning but overall, it is great IMO (though that does also depend on what you want out of it). I like it more than PC2 which I've basically stopped playing I got GTS.

and that's really the most amazing thing here. i never knew that i wanted iRacing Lite, but it's seriously creating this whole new gaming experience that i've really never experienced before. i was honestly not looking forward to this game until i got my hands on the Beta and realized what they were trying to do for the genre. as far as i'm concerned it's a total game changer and i can't imagine racing on another game.

I was in the same boat, if it wasn't for the demo, I would not have bought, didn't realized I wanted this kind of game. I couldn't give them my money fast enough.

The hype got good out of me. Unlike to previous Gran Turismo had long epic games.

Hype? What hype? There should have been less than no hype for this game. You got a beta test version and a demo that showed you basically the whole game before buying. There was no hype.

For me it's a great game, the best racing game that I own. A very well put together title that oozes class from every pore and I love it offline and online.

It's both.

Those of us with a perennial love/hate thing with PD will understand. We know PD has a proven track record of delays and missing deadlines, and this reeks of 'unfinished'. On the other hand, if we get a few more tracks, cars and events as things go on i won't be surprised. The menu is an inefficient kludgy mess. The graphics are nice. The livery editor is a blast, but the details of it are a wreck (reset the cursor to the beginning every time you exit a selection? Seriously?)

Do you suppose PD decided to focus on online racing because they realized their AI is a disaster and they had no clue how to fix it in time? I've been pitted so many times in mission challenges its pathetic. AI drivers are the living breathing antithesis of how they expect one to behave in 'live' races. Don't try to tell me they're trying to teach lessons about sportsmanship.

The commercials say they didnt want it to be about 'collecting cars'. Now, the old '1000 cars' reeked of a Sony marketing demand but this is too far in the other direction. Hello, PD? IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT THE CARS. If I wanted to drive a 2008 Outback I'd go out to my garage, but one reason I play these games is to drive a variety of amazing cars I will never get close to on tracks I will never travel to. I dont need 50 R34 variants but ONE WOULD BE NICE. A few more classic American muscle and Euro hot hatch etc would be appreciated.

And dont get me started on the subjugation to Sony's corporate policies of abhorrent greed. There aren't enough profanity filters in the world to stop that avalanche.

I love it. I hate it. I'll keep playing and keep complaining. If they care they'll listen to us, at least a little.

i'm completely in love with this game, so addicted to sport mode, livery editor and the scapes thing.
My only complaint, will be the lack of real world tracks, but i really like the quality of those in game so i understand, but no Silverstone?
there are other minor issues like occasional peolple getting arround a too forgiving SR sistem and start behaving like douches on the track, but i'm sure i will get fixed.

I can understand why people are upset but in all honesty I wanted the game for online racing and it's not like the game was mis-advertised or anything, currently I have over 80hrs with the game and 30hrs actual driving so I've got my money's worth

People wanted a game that was only 15% online, You can find the news post here So yes it was mis-advertised actually.

Back