Physics

• Thread starter GTguy88
  • 43 comments
I'm also ok with the physics. I can enjoy the game with T300RS wheel, BUT the ffb should absolutely be revised.

I find their physics for the type of game to be bang on, every class and to some extent every car feels different, it's not just FWD = understeer and RWD = oversteer, there is more depth than that.

Yes it's not as realistic as the GTs and Forzas but they close to Grid maybe, also for me the one thing you need to master is the brakes, knowing when and how to apply the brakes (trail braking etc) is a rewarding experience imo.

Stick with the game till you get to the higher classes (not like there is any racing games now) if you still don't "understand" the physics then trade it in and wait for CARS.
I agree as well, the cars feel different from car to car. Some more than others. Evo studios is spot on this, this is a semi simulator. Great physics, I'm satisfied.

I disagree with most on physics of DC. And don't find It to be arcade at all! I also agree with devs stating It to be a SEMI SIMULATOR. Fact it's not 100% sim level as like GT, AC and Pcars. My impression on physics are as fallow tires communicate minimum feed back. Very low level as compared to titles mentioned above. Weight transfer, braking, cornering, acceleration out of corners and into. Strong sim, high level. I noticed in the the way you drive car makes the game feel arcade or sim. Yes the cars can be over driven making it feel very arcade but! If you drive It like sim it will reward you and give you a high simulation feeling. Brake early get your throttle input and corner speed just right rotate through corner. In my opinion 70% simulator good physics loving DC so so glad I gave It a shot.

I love this game, and can cope with the arcade'ness (or whatever is going on with the physics) of it all. After all I have assetto to give me sim fix.

What I think that DC needed above all else was a. option to get semi-slicks and b. brake bias control.

This latter, if you watch a replay, so very often the rears light up before the fronts - and what's more those cars are unsettled all the time. I firmly believe if they'd adjusted the bias, or allowed it and had some stickier tyres we'd be raving a lot more about the game (well, maybe a little bit).

It's such a shame that they don't release another final patch... the above and an all-car unlock for those of us that'll never obtain the level 50 car (level 45 and the mojo is fading folks).

I reckon if they'd allowed brake bias in-game it would have nailed most of the physics issues...

Reason: If you watch replays you'll see that the rear brakes nearly always glow up before the front, so basically they're overdoing it on the rear - and this plays out as oversteer and woolly handling into the corners. Admittedly all the oversteer isn’t a result of that, but locking up, slipping out and then flooring it will contribute and no mistake.

I can’t recall the cars specifically, but some of them (especially the racer cars, not hyper cars) are better with this and sure enough are much more planted.

It grits me now that the cars and driving is excellent except for the brake bias…

I reckon if they'd allowed brake bias in-game it would have nailed most of the physics issues...

Reason: If you watch replays you'll see that the rear brakes nearly always glow up before the front, so basically they're overdoing it on the rear - and this plays out as oversteer and woolly handling into the corners. Admittedly all the oversteer isn’t a result of that, but locking up, slipping out and then flooring it will contribute and no mistake.

I can’t recall the cars specifically, but some of them (especially the racer cars, not hyper cars) are better with this and sure enough are much more planted.

It grits me now that the cars and driving is excellent except for the brake bias…
I love Driveclub ALOT but the physics were odd... Some cars that should not be giving so much oversteer would oversteer and the Koenigsegg One:1 is a monster to drive on tracks with more bends and turns than straights. The back end out always slips out when trying to floor it out of a turn even if do light acceleration

I love Driveclub ALOT but the physics were odd... Some cars that should not be giving so much oversteer would oversteer and the Koenigsegg One:1 is a monster to drive on tracks with more bends and turns than straights. The back end out always slips out when trying to floor it out of a turn even if do light acceleration

The One:1 has a power to weight ratio of 1000hp per ton, what do you expect it to do when you floor it? A car that is so light, with so much power, will need millimeter-accurate throttle control to avoid excessive wheelspin. Also, being so light, bumpy, undulating roads will easily unsettle the car's balance.

I agree with those who've said it's semi-sim. I'd even go as far as to say it's got elements of the physics which are more realistic than GT6. The feeling of weight is very good, as is the car balance, and how it reacts to the road's surface. What is lacking realism is the tyre grip and brake performance: They are both hugely over-powered. I don't have a problem with that, however, because I'd rather a dev achieves arcade handling by making decently realistic and believable physics, and then making the tyres and brakes unrealistically good. With hardcore handling turned on, the tyres and brakes are no longer excessively powerful, and it makes the game feel pretty damn realistic.

Evolution had excellent programmers, and clearly knew their stuff when it came to cars and motorsport. I really can't wait to see what Codies does with this brilliant team.

Maybe the debut of the game had issues, but as of this post in 2017, DC is fun to drive with a ffb wheel.

No worrying about tuning or anything, but i can just turn on the game, plug in my ffb wheel and go for a fun drive or race. The handling with a ffb wheel gives a good sense of traction feel and controlling the cars with the steering feels intuitive, the steering inputs and braking and trottle do what real life rwd cars do. I can balance the oversteer through the corners realistically, intuitively and instinctively like i can with my real life cars. This part of the algorithm is good with a ffb wheel. GTS 1.08 and PC2 v3.02 lacks control in this area, and why i go back to playing DC still.

I wish they would continue development on the game, more new cars would be nice.

Last edited:
Maybe the debut of the game had issues, but as of this post in 2017, DC is fun to drive with a ffb wheel.

No worrying about tuning or anything, but i can just turn on the game, plug in my ffb wheel and go for a fun drive or race. The handling with a ffb wheel gives a good sense of traction feel and controlling the cars with the steering feels intuitive, the steering inputs and braking and trottle do what real life rwd cars do. I can balance the oversteer through the corners realistically, intuitively and instinctively like i can with my real life cars. This part of the algorithm is good with a ffb wheel. GTS 1.08 and PC2 v3.02 lacks control in this area, and why i go back to playing DC still.

I wish they would continue development on the game, more new cars would be nice.

Couldn't agree more, though I suspect that there may be a licensing issue on the code base - it being commissioned by Sony in the first instance. I was surprised to see the EOL patch with tracks and the VR, but that might have been to complete a contract as much as anything.

Having agreed with you.... I was thinking the other day that even with the NFS series there really isn't anything that gives the tuner fun that GT6 had - Ride2 sort of comes close (but is missing two wheels of course!). To see Driveclub with some tidying of physics, probably in balance and grip, and then have tuning and some basic body kits ala GT6 would be awesome.

Unlocking the frame rate on Pros wouldn't hurt either given the competition out there.

Anyway, agree, top game!

I'm doing a time trial with the X-Bow and physics are kicking my ass. I can do most of the run clean, but there are these two haipins that I just can't get through no matter what I try.

It's like I'm getting hit from behind even though there are no other cars. The instant oversteer every time is off the charts. I tried higher gear, half throttle, no throttle, all different steering angles. Results are always the same. Rear jumps around like a graboid just slammed my car from underneath. :banghead:

I just want one clean run! Is that too much to ask?

I'm doing a time trial with the X-Bow and physics are kicking my ass. I can do most of the run clean, but there are these two haipins that I just can't get through no matter what I try.

It'll be locking the rears into the corners - 50:50 brake balance and downshifting is essentially putting the handbrake on.
You can see this in replays, the rears glow before the fronts.
I can't give you a solution other than where appropriate use a H pattern box (I did and it helped) practice heal & toe to try and stop engine braking and make sure you're doing your braking in a straight line...
Good luck!

Back