Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 752 comments
First post in years, so long I had to create a new account, Catawba_Warrior on PS4. 54 year old GrandPa of 10-12, I lose track. Started on GT3 almost 20 years ago. Just getting back into it, can't play many games since hypertensive retinopathy took most of the vision in my right eye in 2015. Hard to race when you're just trying to avoid messing up other people's race, so Time Trials are something I find myself doing more of. Not that i'll ever be top tier, but some tracks I have enough laps on to throw up a good time if I can keep the car on the track. I use a controller and bumper cam view so there's nothing but the track on my screen to distract my focus, which is hard to keep with everything moving. Left stick for steering, right stick gas/brakes, R2 e-brake. Most assists turned off, ABS default since I can't drive with it off and cone markers since braking points are kinda important and I need help seeing. That's the basics, if you've read this far let's go on to the Trial.
Laguna Seca. The McLaren F1'94 is a beast. I didn't have one so I drove a few other cars, nothing really standing out. My times were slow, 1:32 being my best that first day of driving, but my ranking was high enough for me to believe I could end up around the top 5000. I haven't done many TT's, the last I remember being on the "Ring in a TS030 a few years back. So I bought the McLaren and went to work. I have surprised myself, I think the top 5000 is a lock, and if I don't improve my time anymore i'll still be happy. I'm no tuning expert, but I have tweaked this one and got it pretty driveable for me. My replay is up, the tags are lagunaseca, mclarenf1'94,and lefteye.
Couldn't get this to post yesterday, but it's still here so i'll try again. Better time now anyway lol.
lagunaseca125918.jpg

First post in years, so long I had to create a new account, Catawba_Warrior on PS4. 54 year old GrandPa of 10-12, I lose track. Started on GT3 almost 20 years ago. Just getting back into it, can't play many games since hypertensive retinopathy took most of the vision in my right eye in 2015. Hard to race when you're just trying to avoid messing up other people's race, so Time Trials are something I find myself doing more of. Not that i'll ever be top tier, but some tracks I have enough laps on to throw up a good time if I can keep the car on the track. I use a controller and bumper cam view so there's nothing but the track on my screen to distract my focus, which is hard to keep with everything moving. Left stick for steering, right stick gas/brakes, R2 e-brake. Most assists turned off, ABS default since I can't drive with it off and cone markers since braking points are kinda important and I need help seeing. That's the basics, if you've read this far let's go on to the Trial.
Laguna Seca. The McLaren F1'94 is a beast. I didn't have one so I drove a few other cars, nothing really standing out. My times were slow, 1:32 being my best that first day of driving, but my ranking was high enough for me to believe I could end up around the top 5000. I haven't done many TT's, the last I remember being on the "Ring in a TS030 a few years back. So I bought the McLaren and went to work. I have surprised myself, I think the top 5000 is a lock, and if I don't improve my time anymore i'll still be happy. I'm no tuning expert, but I have tweaked this one and got it pretty driveable for me. My replay is up, the tags are lagunaseca, mclarenf1'94,and lefteye.
Couldn't get this to post yesterday, but it's still here so i'll try again. Better time now anyway lol. View attachment 1014467

Respect..... I am busting a gut, tried the F1 and really do not like the way it "handles" but actually managed to break through 1m30s with it, which I cannot do with anything else! There's no way I'm going to get close to your time. Time Trials are great! 👍

Oh, forgot ... welcome back!

Last edited:
Dipped into the 1.24.xxx with the McLaren F1. Boy do the tunes here make a big difference. Tried prairano, sdi, xtrax and COLOMBIA's tunes, and prairano's one is the most comfortable for me. Everyone is pretty close though, all within 0.2-0.3 secs so good job guys 👍

It's a weird coincidence that I found out about these Super Laps while messing around with the Chaparral 2X in Arcade Mode recently. The 2X will easily send you to Understeer Central if you don't manage your throttle and braking well, but taking tighter lines and flooring it at the apex was one way of discovering how much time I could save with every flier.

Even with the challenges, I haven't had as much fun with a time trial in ages, especially so with the sparks and rocket-like pace down the straights. This, on the last evening before the next Super Laps start up, is where I currently stand (and keep in mind this was with my regular DS4)....

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210602183532.png

Last edited:
Hi guys, a first tune from me for the Suzuka TT. A sub 1 Minute lap is possible, if I could nail one good lap.

BB - 2
135 100
1,30 1,45
8 10
58 64
88 94
1,5 2,5
Toe out 0,40 toe in 0,05

Gears
Set final to 6,000
Set max speed to min
Set final to 4,090

Have fun. :cheers:

@CatawbaWarior: I have great respect for your comeback.

@kuoriainen: Congrats to P1 in the former TT. Really great lap. 👍👍:bowdown::cheers:

@Roweer1: I edited the first final gear setting. You are right. Great lap my friend. :cheers:

Last edited:

It's impressive for someone to come along and beat all the McLarens in a Ferrari. I really love to watch the skill that goes into wrestling these hypercars around the track on wooden tyres. I mean, just look at how they're taking the corkscrew. Absolutely amazing. Just the ability that goes into corner approach is on a whole nother level. Taking a purpose-built Group 3 racer around Mount Panorama is a piece of cake compared to that...

Hi Folks
For the Honda-event, I started out with the Allround @praiano63 -tune here:

Even though it’s made for normal tyres and the gears are simply an adjustment to the topspeed, It has worked for me to a 59.870 within 75km of driving! (DS4, X- and squarebutton for throttle and brakes). Thank You Praiano:cheers:

Along came @v8_pursuit with a tune that looks totally different than the Praiano-one. I’m not quite ready to try it out (but i will at some point),’cause i like the handling of this one. But i’ve used pursuits’ gears with succes in the past, so i applied his gears and took it to a .836. Then i bopped up the LSD-accel. to Max (60) and shaved off a bit more for a .809. Not sure if it helps though: All my best sectortimes are made with Praianos’ LSD-settings.Put together, they have me at a .585 (allthough this track looks like you can’t just sum the sectortimes, meaning fx best sector 1 might not have the optimal entrance for best sector 2 etc.)
Still: There should be a little more to Hunt Down for me here. Thank You my friend @v8_pursuit :cheers:
Edit: By the Way: @v8_pursuit : I Think your initial FG should be 6000 (not 5000). This doesn’t quite take me to the digits for your first gear (i have +0.003), but that might have to do with rim-size. Doesn’t make any practical difference though ;)

Last edited:
Here you go guys, my best lap and tune for the s660. (Optimum was0.59.5xx)

as always, T1 is really important. You van see in the vid how I take it.
Most important thing is the braking, if tou lose rear with my tune, you are braking too late and or too hard.
There is a white line that goes thru the track, after that there is light grass on the left side. You need to braking between these two markers. trailbrake in to the corner until you start to go right towards the last apex of this two apex corner.
be carefull with downshofts also.
Rest is just basic suzuka, hug those sausages as much as you can. :cheers:
Happy hunting all :gtpflag:

and because miguel will ask those gears, I thin that I put final to 4.6 and then top speed to 150. After that rest of the gears 👍

Last edited:
@Roweer1: You are right. I used @praiano63 setup with my gears and LSD set to 8, 40, 15. This is much better than my own setup. Currently I`m right behind you on P14 with 0:59,819s. Thanks my friend for putting this together. :cheers:
And many thanks to @praiano63 for this great tune. :cheers:

@sdi_03: Your setup is very hard to drive for me. The rear is very loose. But as you said, I think I`m breaking too late. Maybe ist doesn`t match my driving style. Or I must getting used to it. But thanks for sharing my friend. :cheers:

@COLOMBIAMIGUE7: I will try your setup tomorrow my friend. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:
Edit: I tried your setup. It's great. :cheers:
Similar to the setup I used before, but with different gains and losses in different parts of the track. I came close to 0,05s to my best time. Well done.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you that post your set-ups. They're super helpful. Using @praiano63 settings, I managed to "shave" around 3 seconds off by personal best this morning. Amazing! This has put me in the top 10% (for now)! Didn't think I'd get anywhere close. Only another 3 seconds or so to find to be up there with you Aliens :lol::lol::lol: Praiano's settings give me the confidence to push it without spinning the thing - thanks!

Screenshot 2021-06-06 at 13.32.03.png

Last edited:
I tried everyones' posted setups, they are all good but I must say that @COLOMBIAMIGUE7 's setup was incredible, got me a 1:00.566, which was an improvement over my previous best by three tenths, after only about 10 laps.

My own setup's ARBs were set at 5/7 and I had used lower differential settings, so I was expecting yours to understeer, but it did not. Your car's balance was excellent, and very responsive to throttle lifts and stabs. The first corner (and last) can be taken at the very limit of drift and grip and still the car responds whilst retaining overall stability. A great tune.:cheers:

I tried everyones' posted setups, they are all good but I must say that @COLOMBIAMIGUE7 's setup was incredible, got me a 1:00.566, which was an improvement over my previous best by three tenths, after only about 10 laps.

My own setup's ARBs were set at 5/7 and I had used lower differential settings, so I was expecting yours to understeer, but it did not. Your car's balance was excellent, and very responsive to throttle lifts and stabs. The first corner (and last) can be taken at the very limit of drift and grip and still the car responds whilst retaining overall stability. A great tune.:cheers:

@bread82 Hello my friend, good that you can enjoy the configuration and get the most out of it later I will publish some improvements that can help you break the 59Xxx

Back