Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 752 comments
  • 20210216_081846.jpg
    ??????

Does anyone have advice on how to maximize the use of the battery? Early breaking? Early shifting? Hard breaking? I try to maximize the charge before the lap starts. Always need to remind myself to break right away to not wast it. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Does anyone have advice on how to maximize the use of the battery? Early breaking? Early shifting? Hard breaking? I try to maximize the charge before the lap starts. Always need to remind myself to break right away to not wast it. Any advice is appreciated.

After "La source" and the straight line before "eau rouge" you must try to keep a minimum of battery and not have used it completely, otherwise you will run out of battery to accelerate in the straight line before "pouhon".

so to try saving some battery at the start, i try to early shift 2 and 3 , to avoid skidding the wheels. I also set BB to 2/3 to have the car to turn more easily.

But it's more easy to said than to do it , i succeed to do it only once on two or 3 attempts, so if anybody have other advices to save the battery, they are welcome.

Last edited:
As I posted before, right after the start of each lap you should only brake into the chicane. To stabilize the car through the chicane and to get it straight for the start-finish-line you can give about half throttle without using battery. Battery is only used if you go nearly full throttle. You can see this at the little red arrow under the battery indicator.
Then, when you are straight after the chicane, don´t go "bam" full throttle but increase it more gradually to prevent wheelspin. Brake into La Source using the same technique. This way I´m about a half car-length behind the top ghost before Eau Rouge, mainly because my poorer line through La Source and the top guy beginning to accelerete a bit earlier.

Best results for me for regaining electric power are: Hard/full braking before the turn then braking lightly until the apex and then gradually increasing throttle as stated before. But remember, I´m using DS4 with sticks and automatic gears, so maybe there are better ways if you use a wheel and manual. By the way I cracked the 1:58 and my best so far is 1:57,992s.

The rest is said by @MidnightRun85:

In these three sessions I've learned a lot about the track, and particularly three sections of the track where I can make or lose a lot of time.

Firstly Eau Rouge. The line through here is so crucial and getting the first turning point spot on makes such a difference to your lap time.

Then Bruxelles and turn 11, where I've managed to find over 1s on a couple of laps.

Then finally Stavelot to set you up for the run to the final chicane. Just getting the right exit to get a good bit of speed out and into 16 makes a massive difference!

First: At the beginning of each try. Don't touch the throttle until the Start-Finish-Line. You will waste the electric power of the Audi.

Second: Eau Rouge goes full throttle. Even for a DS4-Player like me. This gained the most time for me.

Thanks for the tips but what do you mean "Don't touch the throttle until the Start-Finish-Line"??

I've tried your second tip after watching a replay of one of the Aliens...... gets me a 0.5 second penalty every time! :lol::cheers:

Thanks for the tips but what do you mean "Don't touch the throttle until the Start-Finish-Line"??

I've tried your second tip after watching a replay of one of the Aliens...... gets me a 0.5 second penalty every time! :lol::cheers:

Hi @seadog777, by this I mean if you start a fast lap you´re a few seconds on auto pilot, then you get "start" and you take over. After this you drive to the starting line and the timer starts. Usually after the "start" I go full throttle to be as fast as possible. Here you could do this only shortly before you have to brake for the last chicane. But if you go full throttle, even for this short time, you will use more electric power of the battery than you gain by braking for the chicane. So the battery will have less power for accelerating to La Source and after that to Eau Rouge and in addition you will lose time. This means for the fastest possible time you have to start everytime from the auto pilot feature and you should not do consecutive laps because then you start with less battery.

But as I stated later:
As I posted before, right after the start of each lap you should only brake into the chicane. To stabilize the car through the chicane and to get it straight for the start-finish-line you can give about half throttle without using battery. Battery is only used if you go nearly full throttle. You can see this at the little red arrow under the battery indicator.
Then, when you are straight after the chicane, don´t go "bam" full throttle but increase it more gradually to prevent wheelspin. Brake into La Source using the same technique. This way I´m about a half car-length behind the top ghost before Eau Rouge, mainly because my poorer line through La Source and the top guy beginning to accelerete a bit earlier.

Best results for me for regaining electric power are: Hard/full braking before the turn then braking lightly until the apex and then gradually increasing throttle as stated before. But remember, I´m using DS4 with sticks and automatic gears, so maybe there are better ways if you use a wheel and manual. By the way I cracked the 1:58 and my best so far is 1:57,992s.

The rest is said by @MidnightRun85:

Going Eau Rouge full throttle: It took me about 20 or 30 tries at the beginning before I was successful. Even now after many laps more I fail sometimes 4 or 5 times in a row. Like @MidnightRun85 said, the first turning point is crucial. If you turn in too late you fail and get a penalty.

in fact, this TT looks like a "circuit experience" .........
you have to do everything right from the first lap ...... you stop and start again......
only the first lap really counts, except for those who are able to recharge the battery on the way........:bowdown:.......
car otherwise, the second lap is necessarily slower.....:banghead:
otherwise, there remains the 908......:lol:
Google translation....

in fact, this TT looks like a "circuit experience" .........
you have to do everything right from the first lap ...... you stop and start again......
only the first lap really counts, except for those who are able to recharge the battery on the way........:bowdown:.......
car otherwise, the second lap is necessarily slower.....:banghead:
otherwise, there remains the 908......:lol:
Google translation....
Have you tried switching brake balance all the way to the back? Recharges the battery better...

uh...to brake shorter, I was rather on -5.....:irked::lol:
ok...so by setting it to +5, I'm going to lengthen the braking distance and therefore better recharge the battery......
I'll try......thanks for the hose.......:cheers:
Yeah you need to adjust your braking zones, but should have more battery around the track. Can't promise it'll be faster but I know guys were using that setting in the race at Spa recently to maintain more charge around the track.

well it would help me a lot to get there because I have the same problem with the Porsche 919 at Le Mans in "track experience" .....
to know how to recharge the battery throughout the lap, would help me to improve my lap time ...........tanks...

no, not tanks ..... thank you.....:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @seadog777, by this I mean if you start a fast lap you´re a few seconds on auto pilot, then you get "start" and you take over. After this you drive to the starting line and the timer starts. Usually after the "start" I go full throttle to be as fast as possible. Here you could do this only shortly before you have to brake for the last chicane. But if you go full throttle, even for this short time, you will use more electric power of the battery than you gain by braking for the chicane. So the battery will have less power for accelerating to La Source and after that to Eau Rouge and in addition you will lose time. This means for the fastest possible time you have to start everytime from the auto pilot feature and you should not do consecutive laps because then you start with less battery.

But as I stated later:

Going Eau Rouge full throttle: It took me about 20 or 30 tries at the beginning before I was successful. Even now after many laps more I fail sometimes 4 or 5 times in a row. Like @MidnightRun85 said, the first turning point is crucial. If you turn in too late you fail and get a penalty.

Ah ha..... I see, thanks very much for explaining. I did try my favourite petrol car, the Peugeot but am a couple of seconds slower..... I will practice your tips and see if I can improve. BTW, I did manage to get up the hill at full throttle today, without getting a penalty..... no idea why, lucky shot I guess!!

But as I stated later:

Thanks a lot my friend for the tip :cheers:

Just one additional tip to complete yours, at the starup just after auto-pilot if you only brake hard, you recover battery energy but not enough at least for me. To have more battery recovered, i brake hard ,I release the brake, brake hard etc... until i'm completely stopped. Afterward i just follow your advice to use half trottle until to be in the beginning of straight line start/finish

Doing this, i recover enough battery and i able to a do a lap regularly with always a minimum of battery on any part of the circuit 👍

Last edited:
Now if this level of battery is not enough

upload_2021-2-18_19-26-49.png

There is another solution to have maximum of battery before the start. But i prefere to not use it . the goal of this TT is to improve management of battery by gradually accelerating after corner, shifting earlier, etc .. ;)

after the autopilot, brake to a complete stop using the braking / release method discussed in my previous post. If you think that you still have not enough battery, engage reverse gear and reverse a certain distance. When you have backed up enough, engage first gear, second gear, ... by accelerating slowly, to not use the battery and brake hard until complete stop. Normally you should havemaximum battery for the start.

Instead of reversing after the first stop, you can also turn around and use the same process to gain speed without using the battery and then brake to a complete stop. The game will then put you in the right direction but you will have the maximum battery.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot my friend for the tip :cheers:

Just one additional tip to complete yours, at the starup just after auto-pilot if you only brake hard, you recover battery energy but not enough at least for me. To have more battery recovered, i brake hard ,I release the brake, brake hard etc... until i'm completely stopped. Afterward i just follow your advice to use half trottle until to be in the beginning of straight line start/finish

Doing this, i recover enough battery and i able to a do a lap regularly with always a minimum of battery on any part of the circuit 👍

Thanks my friend for your tip. :cheers:
I used this technique and gained battery. If I get a good lap this will improve my time. Easier said than done. :lol:

Now if this level of battery is not enough

View attachment 992527

There is another solution to have maximum of battery before the start. But i prefere to not use it . the goal of this TT is to improve management of battery by gradually accelerating after corner, shifting earlier, etc .. ;)

after the autopilot, brake to a complete stop using the braking / release method discussed in my previous post. If you think that you still have not enough battery, engage reverse gear and reverse a certain distance. When you have backed up enough, engage first gear, second gear, ... by accelerating slowly, to not use the battery and brake hard until complete stop. Normally you should havemaximum battery for the start.

Instead of reversing after the first stop, you can also turn around and use the same process to gain speed without using the battery and then brake to a complete stop. The game will then put you in the right direction but you will have the maximum battery.

Thanks for this tip too and for this insider view of you alien drivers (this is meant as a compliment and honouring). I would have never worked this out. :bowdown::cheers:

I tried this a couple of times and after I failed often at Eau Rouge after this procedure, I lost my patience. :lol:

Thanks my friend for your tip. :cheers:
I used this technique and gained battery. If I get a good lap this will improve my time. Easier said than done. :lol:

Thanks for this tip too and for this insider view of you alien drivers (this is meant as a compliment and honouring). I would have never worked this out. :bowdown::cheers:

I tried this a couple of times and after I failed often at Eau Rouge after this procedure, I lost my patience. :lol:

Yes indeed you should be patient with this procedure. :lol:
For eau rouge i noticed that if you shift from 5 to 6 in the bottom just before, is more easy.
But normally with the break/release methode is enough for the battery.

Thanks for the compliment :cheers:
But I'm not an alien driver.

Alien drivers are like p1 came from nowhere and in one session, he did a mega time.:confused:

Me, I need a certain time before i did a good time and i still far from him.

Yeah you need to adjust your braking zones, but should have more battery around the track. Can't promise it'll be faster but I know guys were using that setting in the race at Spa recently to maintain more charge around the track.

Thanks a lot for BB set to 5 it helps :cheers:

Last edited:
For the R18 battery, if you hold down brake and gas at the same time, the battery won't deplete (even if it's only 10% brake and 100% gas). No need to worry about holding half gas before the start, or waiting until the line to go full throttle. Just reverse a little bit, fully charge the battery and take the final chicane riding the brakes, then let off the brake as you're coming out of the corner. I use BB +5 as well for maximum regen. The R18 only charges if you press the brake (unlike the TS050 which recharges off throttle, or the 919 which recharges from the turbo even if on throttle), so the idea is to lengthen the time you're braking. You want to shorten the time spent on full brake, but trail brake much deeper and longer into the corners, carrying the speed and regenerating as much as possible for that quick exit. If you do it right you'll still have some charge coming out of Stavelot.

Also remember that the charge won't deploy if your steering angle is >45 degrees. What I like to do in the longer corners like Pouhon and the run up to Blanchimont is intermittently straighten the wheel to deploy little bursts of charge earlier. Remember acceleration is where all the lap time is.

Hi guys, here's my tune for the Tsukuba TT, currently for me a 0:56,005s:

BB - 1
160mm 135mm
2,00 2,65
1 10
52 61
82 91
1,0 2,5
toe out 0,40 toe out 0,10

Final to 4,500
Max speed to min
4,476 / 85 (km/h)
3,194 / 120
2,337 / 164
1,853 / 206
1,562 / 245
1,354 / 283
1,055 / 371
Final to 3,150

Try this :cheers:

Last edited:
Hi guys, here's my tune for the Tsukuba TT, currently for me a 0:56,005s:

BB - 1
160mm 135mm
2,00 2,65
1 10
52 61
82 91
1,0 2,5
toe out 0,40 toe out 0,10

Final to 4,500
Max speed to min
4,476 / 85 (km/h)
3,194 / 120
2,337 / 164
1,853 / 206
1,562 / 245
1,354 / 283
1,055 / 371
Final to 3,150

Try this :cheers:
Hi mate did a 0:55.949 with your tune using my wheel:cheers:, the only changes I made to your tune was the LSD 5/15/18 and no Camber/Toe Angle to suit my driving style, and there is still room for improvement out there :).

Last edited:
Back