WRC officially in Gran Turismo 5!

• Thread starter Timppaq
  • 610 comments
CoolColJ
Rally mode in action...

I am glad to see PD finally gave up on trying to make us do head to head rallies, but why the heck do the guardrails have NFS style lights on them pointing which way to turn?

EDIT:

I am also in for any GTP organized rally championships. Depending on how much interest there is, we could also have classes based on level of competition. I am really into rally, but I feel like my skills probably aren't enough to be competitive with some users here. I will be happy to just trudge along in the bottom of the pool if I need to though :cheers:

Last edited:
I am also in for any GTP organized rally championships. Depending on how much interest there is, we could also have classes based on level of competition. I am really into rally, but I feel like my skills probably aren't enough to be competitive with some users here. I will be happy to just trudge along in the bottom of the pool if I need to though :cheers:

Hey man, rallying is for everyone, from the local rally privateer to the international works team with the superhuman quasi-android drivers.

I think Wales Rally GB and Neste Rally Finland have the highest number of local privateers that sign up for the rally, UK and Finland always have been rally meccas and its because of the average dude in his Mk2 doing it big.

Everyone is welcome, since theres different classes it will be easier to find something to suit your pace.

Either way in GT5 it will be a while before you can get your hands on a modern WRC car, to level up to be able to purchase it and to have the exp needed to drive it proper.

GTP Rally Championship proposition:

Maybe a system with A-spec EXP incorporated.
NO DRIVING AIDS OF ANY SORT.

0-5:
Privateer Production Class.

Limited to production cars (separate events per era 60's-00's)
No more than 250hp, no rally cars.
Any layout for 60's-80's, FF layout(90's-current).
Limited to level 2 parts upgrades, ecu allowed and weight redux. \
Limited to Tarmac and Gravel events.

6-10:
Privateer Limited Class

Rally cars or production(separate events per era 60's-90's)
250hp(60's through 70's) & 300hp limits for 80's-90's.
Tarmac\Gravel\Snow

11-15:
Works Class.

Works rally cars only, 300hp limit (current era only) 4WD = Modern WRC.
Tarmac\Gravel\Snow

16-20
:
Group B class.

Works Group B cars, 500hp limit, any drivetrain, years 1980-1986)
Tarmac\Gravel\Snow

20+:
Unlimited Class

Any era, layout, hp, upgrades, so long as you can fit dirt AND snow tires.
Tarmac\Gravel\Snow

So level 20 can compete in any event(with equal or higher level EXP driver), but level 5 will have more evenly matched opponents in very controllable cars.

This is all blueprint so anyone with ideas please chime.💡

Last edited:
...This is all blueprint so anyone with ideas please chime.💡...

Yeah, that would be cool. I was just afraid of being constantly dominated.👎
It will be great fun to race the classics too. I am looking forward to Wednesday so much!

a GTP rally would be awesome! I'll probably use either the 1974 Lancer 1600 GSR Rally Car, 1969 Datsun 510 Blurbird Rally car or any otehr classic RWD rally car I can find, I did see a Jag E type rally car in a video before also. :sly: Is there any classic Lancia rally cars? Like the Fulvia?

I saw a test on tarmac with -5 the other day, it was surprisingly narrow, so hopefully it would be just as good on gravel. Good the PD has got Robert Reid for the pacenotes, but it´s a little sad that they are so god damn simple. At least include distance calls, and + and - in the corner calls! Would be good if we could make our own notes.

Another thing that always has been a problem with PD and rallying; The gearing on the cars. No WRC-car is so long geared. The C4 and Focus hit top gear at approx 130 km/h. The Citroën on the video was doing 180 km/h in 5th. This makes the cars look and sound less nimble than they actually are. Just look at the video droogcast has posted. Loeb is gearing quite quick there! At least I hope we can adjust gearbox settings, so it feels more real.

There are several rallies on the WRC calender where the cars do more than 180km/h - in Finland they hit over 200km/h I believe.

Hopefully the pacenote detail can be adjusted (fingers crossed).

As for the gear ratios on the c4 in that vid, it's probably suited for that particular track since it's so wide and fast. We will be able to adjust the gearing to our own accord anyway so I wouldn't stress about it too much :)

Is gear ratio by each gear or is it final drive only?

There are several rallies on the WRC calender where the cars do more than 180km/h - in Finland they hit over 200km/h I believe.

Oh yeah, without doubt. In Finland they often hit 220 km/h on the longest straights. My point is that from approx. 130-140 km/h, most WRC-cars are in their final gear. Therefore you will never see a WRC car doing 180 km/h in fifth gear. That is why I think PD haven´t paid detail to WRC-cars compared to the tarmac racing cars.

@benniz Not necessarily, rally cars in Previous GT's have had FULL transmission settings, so you can set wide or narrow ratios as you see fit, average Gravel rallies dont exceed 180km(save for finland) in 6th, Tarmac is much faster, could be 210.

Either way, the ratios are totally adjustable as is the suspension, brake balance etc.. seeing as how rally cars are fully tuned.

Its just a matter of setting up the car for the task.

@devedander in GT4 it was full transmission customization, each gear and final drive.

I never really thought about the classic rally cars in regards to GT5. You know, I do wonder what various classic rally cars (and even any Dakar-type rally cars) would fare on these courses. The off-road rallying doesn't seem as heavy as it used to be. I know I said with Enthusia that the cars handle good, though I wish there was a bit more control. Then of course, someone said GT4 gives you too much control. I can't keep a solid line around Toscana.

Someone noted that the sense of speed isn't there in rallying, and I tend to somewhat give you that. Think about a one-lane road at about 120+ mph. That is the fury of rally racing to me. You go so fast either on tarmac or any non-tarmac surface, that will scare the crap out of you in rally. Gran Turismo is getting around in rally racing, but more can be done to make rallying as solid as its circuit racing. This is their best effort thus far to me. Can more be done? Absolutely. I think even if PD connects with some other game developer or crew to enhance the rally element, I think rallying can only improve in GT.

Someone noted that the sense of speed isn't there in rallying, and I tend to somewhat give you that. Think about a one-lane road at about 120+ mph.

I'm pretty sure that's the problem: the tracks are too wide.

That's also a problem on other tracks. You can see that in the Toscana video with the Mucielago. It looks like that track is 3 times wider than Suzuka. You're going at 200+km/h, at night, and there's no sense of speed.

I'm pretty sure that's the problem: the tracks are too wide.

That's also a problem on other tracks. You can see that in the Toscana video with the Mucielago. It looks like that track is 3 times wider than Suzuka. You're going at 200+km/h, at night, and there's no sense of speed.

Very true indeed,lets hope the width in the editor can be adjusted so the road can be substancially narrower.:tup:I mean whats the point of a point to point rally when the road is three wide:ouch: so narrower stages weather effects random or static plus tight hairpins,nice topography changes and night transition and this would be stellar:idea:

Very true indeed,lets hope the width in the editor can be adjusted so the road can be substancially narrower.:tup:I mean whats the point of a point to point rally when the road is three wide:ouch: so narrower stages weather effects random or static plus tight hairpins,nice topography changes and night transition and this would be stellar:idea:

I like the way you're thinking.

So from this video you can see that the Pacenotes come in more than one language(english), and the return of a quite unwelcome feature, the 5 second barrier penalty...i dont get why this is still here, hitting a barrier already makes you slower, and with the mechanical damage that should be ensued, it should slow you down the rest of the stage...

Strange because int he Alaska stage, he hit the wall much harder adn got nothing...

You see PD, push those barriers MUCH further back
This 5 second penalty is actually not as bad as going off the road and trying to get back on it...:ouch:

Also some known draw distance issues with background objects...

And some "dynamic' weather on Toscana...lookedlike rain, but the road didnt seem wet, and it was only in one sector, or maybe it was just a drizzle...exciting.

Last edited:
It is disappointing on that front, and I'm sure we could do much better with rally courses. While I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for Polyphony Digital... it's just the Course Editor, and GT is not known as a rally powerhouse. Rally purists instantly will hate that this could have been handled much better on the Course Maker front. This is still at least a great attempt at making more realistic open (or point-to-point) circuits.

Part of me is now starting to think that if narrow roads can be generated for the rally events, how come we haven't seen such narrow roads for rallying yet? And what qualifies as narrow using these generated roads? There just seem to be lots of gray areas (and perhaps some bad utilization) in trying to make proper point-to-point rally courses with all the complexity of real point-to-point rally racing. At best, the rallying we've seen so far, especially on tarmac, seems more like good targa rallying than even some of the tricky tarmac rallies of the WRC. I was never good at tarmac rallies to begin with.

I am not in some epic rage or anything (there is a thread for that). I just have some disappointment, but not enough to cry foul over PD's execution of GT5, at least in this department.

Any one with the game in possession please feel free to post pics of the rally cars standard/premium doesn't matter,well anything exept the c4 or focus wrc:tup:

Pf I feel like the rally mode is too finnicky.
The whole understeer mechanic (when breaking with any car and accelerating with fwd/awd cars) applies too much to gravel WITH a rally car.

First of all ,if TC is on (on by default in every new event) , you can't drive like you would a rally car, because the TC prevents any wheelspin, and even takes it to extreme by just applying no throttle at all in corners on gravel if you happen to skid even the tinyest bit.

Second, there is almost no powersliding possible, it doesn't feel like I'm driving a 300.000 dollar 4WD rally car with an LSD and tons of power under the hood, but more like i'm driving a normal awd roadcar with slick tires on a wet surface...

It just feels like pretty much 100 percent of changing direction is done by your front wheels turning, and almost none by your rear wheels pushing the car in whatever direction you face.
You get a tiny bit, but if you turn your car at anything more than a 15 degree angle of where it's heading , the game cuts you off and you are just sliding straight ahead.

You get used to it eventually, but it's just weird.
I know they go for realism but it just feels too much like road car behavior.
I would have liked to have felt atleast a little kick from my rally car...

Yes, but the car wont drive itself, switch those aids off adjust your ratios diffs and suspension, then try pendulum steering to kick the back out and feather the throttle to keep it out.

GT4 seems to be the opposite physics wise for rally, nearly no grip but yet cars can flick side to side like nothing.

Did you win the '99 or the '08 impreza?

The 08 ,sorry for the late reply ,hopefully this make's up for it :sly:
5209696680_23586e6898_b.jpg

So is GT5 worth buying solely for the rally parts? Sounds like the handling and surfaces are 'off'. And the invisible ticket tape walls. 👎

I'd say no. I just tried the GT rally for the first time and it was kind of disappointing. It's like they were 90% of the way to giving us a really awesome rally experience, but couldn't be bothered to make the tracks narrower, give us more options as far as events, etc.

The co-driver is really pretty worthless too. Sometimes he just doesn't call out corners.

On the other hand, I think we as a community might be able salvage things and make it pretty cool. I haven't tried to do anything from the course maker online yet, but if they let us set up our own events similar to the Special Event in the game, only we got to design the stages in the course editor first, that would be really cool. First of all, we could have longer stages, none of this 1 minute per stage nonsense. We could also make our own classes and stuff.

I am going to try to see what the possibilities are for online tonight. After that, I say we try to all get a room together.

Also, I would say that on the whole, GT5 is worth buying (despite some flaws here and there, I have had a lot of fun so far), but if you are only really interested in Rally you will be disappointed because you can't even access the rally events until you are a certain level.

Back