GTPlanet user “sorg” has been dissecting Gran Turismo 5‘s code base over the past few days and has shared some of his discoveries in our forums.First, he’s found a hidden version of the X2010, named the “Red Bull X2010 JP Flag Color”. As you can see from the car’s description in the screenshot above, it is a “special colour model imbued with hopes of recovery from the Great East Japan Earthquake that occurred on March 11, 2011.”
He’s also unlocked the Red Bull X2010 5G model, which was used in the recent 5G competition. Over 20 different colors can be applied to it in the dealership, leading Sorg to suspect it may be released to a wider audience of players at a later date.
More discoveries include:
- 46 hidden car tickets, including a “Level 40” ticket
- Standard cars which have been upgraded to Premium models, such as the Jaguar XJR9, are differentiated with a “_std” prefix in their file name. He has noted that two cars, the Nissan R92CP and Bentley Speed 8 Race Car, include this prefix, suggesting they are or were scheduled to be updated in the game.
- Over 39 Premium cars in the game also have “hidden” Standard counterparts, a full list of which Sorg has compiled here.
- Sorg has calculated that 300km appears to be the constant value at which all new cars achieve maximum engine power output during the “break-in” period.
Surprisingly, he has also discovered records of a broad selection of engine tuning upgrades and even new tires, though it remains unclear if or how such parts are actually implemented in the game:
- 2 additional engine tunes (5 in total)
- 2 additional turbo stages (5 in total)
- Triple-plate clutch
- Racing flywheel
- AYC Controller
- Brake Upgrades: Large Diameter Rotors + 4(6,8) Piston Calipers
- Ceramic Carbon Brakes, Brake Balance Controller
- Sport Super Soft and Racing Super Soft tire compounds (see here for more new tire details)
- Nitro upgrades
- Additional power improvements (5%,10%,20%)
For more details and future updates on his discoveries, be sure to read over this full topic here in our forums.
GT5 Photomode image by zambuca.