2021 Formula 1 Calendar threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 364 comments
Where would a second DRS zone go?
Doesn't have to have a 2nd zone. If they absolutely desperately felt they had to then between turn 10-12 or turns 15-16 would seek the only places that would work in a distance sense.

Motormouth Horner has blabbed, we're going to Losail.

Once again we have a journalist presenting a guess as fact but still getting it wrong.

Qatar announcement wasn't "tomorrow" as he put it but the day after.
But Qatar confirmed now.

However, the surprise to this is that from 2023, Qatar has signed a 10-year deal to host F1. Do we need more circuits on the calendar in the Middle East. Really?

We'd all happily get rid of the Saudi round. Abu Dhabi is on everyone's bin list, but they've come up with a major circuit redesign which we're all hopeful solves the main issue with the track - the layout. If this year's race is a banger, Abu Dhabi will likely be worth keeping because it is an amazing facility. Bahrain has produced too much good racing since it switched to a night race to get rid of, so Qatar's one overtaking spot has a lot to live up to in the region.
4 races in the Middle East (not including Turkey, Azerbaijan and Sochi) seems a lot for a calendar that visits South America (which has two countries with world champions) once, North America 3 (soon to be 4) times and Africa no times.
Four desert circuits with no chance of rain (apart from the 5 or so days of race-cancelling flood-causing downpours they get a year) is not what any fan wants on an F1 calendar.

We need to protect the historic circuits on the calendar and the good ones. Europe is a

Once again we have a journalist presenting a guess as fact but still getting it wrong.

Qatar announcement wasn't "tomorrow" as he put it but the day after.
But Qatar confirmed now.

However, the surprise to this is that from 2023, Qatar has signed a 10-year deal to host F1. Do we need more circuits on the calendar in the Middle East. Really?
The 10 year deal surprised me too. Not so much that it’s another Middle Eastern track (we do have a fair few in Europe and 4 North America next year) but that it isn’t a particularly exciting looking circuit or unique in anyway. Looks like it’ll automatically be the worst layout of the Middle Eastern circuits.

Weirdly, the one thing they could do to make it unique to the others is have a day time race..

Looks like a pretty uninspiring layout tbh. At least Saudi Arabia and the modified Yas Marina look kind of promising.

Sakir however is a great track for F1 racing, it deserves it’s place.

The 10 year deal surprised me too. Not so much that it’s another Middle Eastern track (we do have a fair few in Europe and 4 North America next year) but that it isn’t a particularly exciting looking circuit or unique in anyway. Looks like it’ll automatically be the worst layout of the Middle Eastern circuits.

Weirdly, the one thing they could do to make it unique to the others is have a day time race..
The 10 year deal isn't for Losail specifically, they're going to build a new track for 2023 it says, to be revealed in time.

One would assume its gonna be yet another street circuit.

Last edited:
The 10 year deal isn't for Losail, they're going to bbuild a new track for 2023 it says, to be revealed in time.

One would assume its gonna be yet another street circuit.
Built around some exotic marina surrounded by high-rise buildings hiding the featureless desert stretching out into the horizon.

Built around some exotic marina surrounded by high-rise buildings hiding the featureless desert stretching out into the horizon.
Pretty much. If they do go for a street circuit it'll certainly be in Doha. In fact they'll probably do a Miami and partly build a track around the World Cup stadium.

I wonder when the point in time comes that F1 just has to admit it simply doesn't care about human rights in the slightest.

Abu Dhabi/UAE - Homosexuality is illegal and punishable by death
Azerbaijan - Homosexuality is legal, but so is discrimination
Bahrain - Homosexuality is legal, but so is discrimination
China - Homosexuality is legal, but so is discrimination
Russia - Homosexuality is legal, but so is discrimination
Saudi Arabia - Homosexuality is illegal and punishable by flogging and life imprisonment
Singapore - Homosexuality is illegal, but prosecutions are rare
Turkey - Homosexuality is legal, but so is discrimination
(Vietnam - Homosexuality is legal, but so is discrimination)

And now:
Qatar - Homosexuality is illegal and punishable by death (for Muslims) or up to seven years in prison

I'd do women's rights, but they're insane and complicated. I'll just say that if you're in Qatar and you have a vagina, don't get raped because it'll be your fault and you'll go to prison.

I wonder when the point in time comes that F1 just has to admit it simply doesn't care about human rights in the slightest.

Saudi Arabia - Homosexuality is illegal and punishable by flogging and life imprisonment

And now:
Qatar - Homosexuality is illegal and punishable by death (for Muslims) or up to seven years in prison

I'd do women's rights, but they're insane and complicated. I'll just say that if you're in Qatar and you have a vagina, don't get raped because it'll be your fault and you'll go to prison.
#WeRaceAsOne

A long time ago, really. Certainly the entire Liberty era, but Bernie had already got the ball rolling.

Anyway with regards to Saudi Arabia there are suggestions among F1 press that they're very tight in being ready in two months, and the latest video from their insta certainly doesn't show a near-complete track:

I'm sure that a crunch period for construction workers in Saudi Arabia will come with absolutely no issues or "accidental" deaths. Or passports that magically go missing leaving outside workers with no option but to stay and continue working beyond their original agreed contracts.

Last edited:
And if the rumours of a gay F1 driver are true, an Abu Dhabi no-header.
I've heard through the gay grapevine that there are/have been gay drivers in recent years, but they've basically been told to keep quiet so as to not jeopardise the races in Asia, and also to not get themselves in trouble when at said races. It wouldn't surprise me if it's true, but you'd have expected any gay drivers to speak out by now considering now vocal Hamilton and Vettel have been, especially if they're no longer on the grid. Mike Beuttler is the only out F1 driver out of 750+. Statistically you'd expect there to be somewhere in the region of 40-50 others. If that includes any of the current stock, I guess you have to look at who is single, or appears to have a very disgruntled girlfriend.

I still think it's hilarious that the official website for the Saudi GP leads with boasts about the track having the most corners.

27 CORNERS

Firing up excitement at every turn​

With 16 left turns and 11 to the right, the Jeddah Corniche Circuit has more action-packed corners than any other circuit in the world.
Can't wait for Qatar to one-up them and introduce a 45 corner circuit, even more action! How other circuit designers haven't worked this out yet I don't know. More corners, more action. It's obvious. /s

I've heard through the gay grapevine that there are/have been gay drivers in recent years, but they've basically been told to keep quiet so as to not jeopardise the races in Asia, and also to not get themselves in trouble when at said races. It wouldn't surprise me if it's true, but you'd have expected any gay drivers to speak out by now considering now vocal Hamilton and Vettel have been, especially if they're no longer on the grid. Mike Beuttler is the only out F1 driver out of 750+. Statistically you'd expect there to be somewhere in the region of 40-50 others. If that includes any of the current stock, I guess you have to look at who is single, or appears to have a very disgruntled girlfriend.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Jaime Alguersuari was the first modern day F1 driver to openly come out as gay in 2016, after he retired from racing.

Last edited:

And now:

Well, if you go with Women's Rights, then you add COTA.

Well, if you go with Women's Rights, then you add COTA.
Frustrated World Cup GIF

I just have a hard time believing there will be a 25 race season come 2023. Is it going to be Monza, Silverstone or Barcelona that goes away as a result?

I just have a hard time believing there will be a 25 race season come 2023. Is it going to be Monza, Silverstone or Barcelona that goes away as a result?
Why not all three? I'm sure Libya, Myanmar and Syria can't wait to join the F1 circus.

Anyway with regards to Saudi Arabia there are suggestions among F1 press that they're very tight in being ready in two months, and the latest video from their insta certainly doesn't show a near-complete track:
I'm guessing if they make it in time, the surface should be nice and slippery for the race.

No problems with that. Hopefully they'll finally name the Grand Prix after the ruddy country it's in.
The UAE GP has a nice ring to it.
Get rid of Barcelona, it's boring and hasn't produced a good race in years.

According to Wikipedia, there are currently 18 races contracted for next season, with 9 on the 2021 calendar not.

Styria and Qatar are definitely not happening in 2022; Imola, Portugal and Turkey were all COVID replacements which got a second year so are unlikely to return.

That leaves Abu Dhabi (there's no way they're leaving after doing such a massive redesign, we'll get a new "lifetime deal" contract or something during the Grand Prix weekend). Spain and France I can see both being brought back and COTA, which Liberty won't want to lose seeing as they've just fought so hard for a second GP in America.

Really, a calendar swapping contract for some of these races would be ideal. Spain and Portugal could swap every year, same for Paul Ricard and Imola. The Middle East rounds would also be cool to swap some around every year. Although I can certainly see that for circuits and fans in those countries having a Grand Prix every 2 years instead of one is an awful thought, and certainly not one I'd like in my country.

According to Wikipedia, there are currently 18 races contracted for next season, with 9 on the 2021 calendar not.

Styria and Qatar are definitely not happening in 2022; Imola, Portugal and Turkey were all COVID replacements which got a second year so are unlikely to return.

That leaves Abu Dhabi (there's no way they're leaving after doing such a massive redesign, we'll get a new "lifetime deal" contract or something during the Grand Prix weekend). Spain and France I can see both being brought back and COTA, which Liberty won't want to lose seeing as they've just fought so hard for a second GP in America.

Really, a calendar swapping contract for some of these races would be ideal. Spain and Portugal could swap every year, same for Paul Ricard and Imola. The Middle East rounds would also be cool to swap some around every year. Although I can certainly see that for circuits and fans in those countries having a Grand Prix every 2 years instead of one is an awful thought, and certainly not one I'd like in my country.
If Monza is on the calendar, I don't see why Italy should get 3 GP every 2 years while France gets 1.

Back