2023/24 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 447 comments
Man City have agreed a deal with Wolves to sign Mathues Nunes for £53 million.
Brighton are close to signing Ansu Fati on loan from Barcelona.
Brighton have also signed midfielder Carlos Baleba from Lille for £23 million, he is seemingly Caicedo's replacement.
Chelsea are close to signing Cole Palmer from Man City for around £45 million.
Man United trying to sign a left back and Amrabat on loan.

England squad has been named for upcoming games with Ukraine and Scotland, Sterling very surprisingly left out, Maguire, Henderson and Phillips are in, Nketiah gets his first call up.

Last edited:
Liverpool have rejected a £150 million bid for Mo Salah from Al-Ittihad, perhaps the biggest news of deadline day so far. Not sure if it was the right move to reject it, I know how good he is for them but they won't get that sort of money for him again if they do decide to sell him in the future, he's 31.

Man United have signed goalkeeper Altay Bayindir for £4.3 million from Fenerbahce and left back Sergio Regulion on loan from Spurs, they have also agreed a deal with Fiorentina for Sofyan Amrabat which will be a loan and with option to buy, he is travelling to Manchester for his medical.

Brighton have signed Ansu Fati on loan from Barcelona.
Spurs have agreed a deal with Forest for Brennan Johnson.
Aston Villa have signed Clement Lenglet on loan from Barcelona.

Window shuts at 11pm tonight.

Milan vs Roma was incredible. Milan look like they're going to win the scudetto and maybe even top that Group of DeF. The ex Chelsea guys are balling out and it really reflects poorly on the London club, that's for sure.

Nottingham Forest signed SEVEN players on deadline day yesterday.

Nuno Tavares
Nicolas Dominguez
Callum Hudson-Odoi
Ibrahim Sangare
Andrew Omobamidele
Divock Origi
Odysseas Vlachodimos

Three of them are loans, they did sell Brennan Johnson to Spurs for £45 million.

Liverpool have signed Ryan Gravenberch from Bayern Munich for £34 million.
Man United have signed Sofyan Amrabat from Fiorentina on season long loan with option to buy.
Mason Greenwood has joined Getafe on loan.
Alex Iwobi has joined Fulham from Everton for £22 million.

There was an incident after the Arsenal-United game yesterday in which a man allegedly headbutted Sky Sports pundit Roy Keane, there is footage where fellow pundit Micah Richards was pinning a man against a wall which apparently took place after the incident, Police have arrested a 44-year old man on suspicion of assault.

England looks like a superpower with Bellingham coming into his own. Who else is a favorite to win Euro 2024? Belgium? France?

So its the end of the international break and its been a bit of a rough one for Man United, one in which they had to release two statements, the first stated that Antony has been given leave to fight the domestic abuse allegations against him by two women in Brazil, this of course comes after the Greenwood situation.

The second statement came today which stated that Jadon Sancho will keep training away from the first team as the club resolves a discipline issue, Sancho was dropped for the Arsenal game last time due to poor training performances and poor time keeping, Ten Hag called him out on it during a press conference to which Sancho took to social media to respond saying that he had been scape-goated.

United have now released more statements than they have won points in the league, all I want is a bit of normality!

Here are the games for the returning Premier League this weekend.

Saturday.
Aston Villa v Crystal Palace
Fulham v Luton
Man United v Brighton
Newcastle v Brentford (5.30 Sky)
Tottenham v Sheffield United
West Ham v Man City
Wolves v Liverpool (12.30 TNT)

Sunday.
Bournemouth v Chelsea (2pm Sky)
Everton v Arsenal (4.30 Sky)

Monday.
Nottingham Forest v Burnley (7.45 Sky)

I won't post the games every week but I'll do it occasionally.

Everton have agreed a takeover bid from a US group known as 777, they group have stakes in Hertha Berlin and Standard Liege among others, the bid is subject to approval though which could led to the club not being taken over until Christmas.

Another week, another frustrating game to watch as a United fan. I'm honestly running out of words, today I think was Ten Hags fault, I really like Ten Hag and we need to back him, but he made mistakes today. I've no idea why he took Hojlund off and left Rashford on.

I'm starting to form hte opinion that Rashford is a problem for us up front. We were a team that created a lot of chances but wasted them last season and before, and we've been desperate for a quality centre forward. The positive from today, Hojlund looks like a quality centre forward. But we're still a team that's creating and wasting chance after chance. Who is wasting all of these chances? Rashford.

One moment with the score 0-1 to Brighton sums this up perfectly. Hojlund plays a lovely pass through to Rashford who uses his pace to get into the box, Hojlun follows his run and is availalbe for a tap in, but Rashford decides to blast the ball with his left foot instead. Had he squared it, it would have taken a shocker to not have been 1-1, but I see these situations with Rashford time after time. Players get into good postiions but he cuts in and goes for the glory shot, every... Single... Time.

So Rashford is to blame for us not going 1-1 at that point and maybe, maybe, the game would've been different from there. At 0-0 I thought we were playing really well, and a goal might have put Brighton on the back foot. But we go a goal down and heads drop. It's the same players who are on thier 3rd manager, McTominay who had half as many touches on the ball as any Brighton midfielder. What did he do today? Why does he keep getting picked? Why did United turn down £30m from West Ham for him?

I did say I was runinng out of words, that was a lie then, but it's true now.

Last edited:
Its been an awful day, not just United losing and being crap but also Swansea losing the derby to Cardiff and being crap.

I don't have it in me to make a long post about it right now.

Oh No High Quality GIF

Probably makes Wednesday fans feel a bit better after losing 3-0 to Swansea. ;)

Carabao Cup fourth round draw.

Mansfield v Port Vale
Ipswich v Fulham
Man United v Newcastle
Bournemouth v Liverpool
Chelsea v Blackburn
West Ham v Arsenal
Everton v Burnley
Exeter v Middlesbrough

Newcastle knocked out Man City on Wednesday, they face Man United in a repeat of last years final, its a 12th consecutive home draw in domestic cups for Man United.

Both he and Danny Hilton of Scunthorpe are pushing each other close for biggest whopper in English Football.

Finally found the Footy thread!

Looking forward to Toon redemption in the Carling Cup, even though, its not a "proper" cup.

Finally found the Footy thread!

Looking forward to Toon redemption in the Carling Cup, even though, its not a "proper" cup.
Don't let Mickey Mouse hear you say it's not a proper cup. They named it after him :lol:

Sheikh Jassim has withdrawn from the Man United bidding process, it means that Sir Jim Ratcliffe with get a 25% stake in the club with a view to a majority share in the next few years, its only reported so far but it will be announced in the next few days.

I've got very mixed feelings about this.

Thankfully the Glazers will now continue to run Man United into the ground. I was worried the takeover might have made them a good team again.

The over-reaction to this by some fans has been laughable, A Qatari takeover would have been nice but it filled some peoples heads with rubbish, I'm sort of Okay with Sir Jim buying a minority stake so long as it leads to a full takeover and the Glazers leaving in a few years.

Some 'fans' are saying they'll support another team and threatening violence against the Glazers, which is ridiculous.

The over-reaction to this by some fans has been laughable, A Qatari takeover would have been nice but it filled some peoples heads with rubbish, I'm sort of Okay with Sir Jim buying a minority stake so long as it leads to a full takeover and the Glazers leaving in a few years.

Some 'fans' are saying they'll support another team and threatening violence against the Glazers, which is ridiculous.
I agree 100%, neither bid was what I was really hoping for. In an ideal world, I didn't want to be an oil money club, state owned or to have all the negative assosciation that would come from that type of ownership, but I did want a full sale. Sir Jim's bid isn't a full sale yet, but his 25% of shares will make INEOS the larest single shareholder of the club and they will also have the largest individual voting rights on the board.

They won't have more voting rights than all of the Glazers combined, not yet anyway, but that will change over time. That's the part I didn't want, but this deal isn't the car crash many are reporting either.

The deal will include put and call options on the Glazers shares to guarentee the possability of purchasing more shares in the future, and it will also include capital investment clauses. These clauses will mean that INEOS will have full control over the use of any capital investments that they make into the club, the Glazers won't be able to touch those funds.

The debt may remain, but it seems likely that it will be trasnferred to INEOS rather than United, though this may not happen until INEOS have a majority share (51% or more). The question that remains, is will INEOS service that debt themselves or will they withdraw funds from United to service it.

Last edited:
Back