Any news on Gran Turismo 8?

• Thread starter digitalic
  • 174 comments
At this point, why would anyone need GT8? Another half prepared crap game?

GT7 is so under utilized and under developed, there's no reason for GT8 to become a reality.
I agree with you...but we can agree...they want money not for player content but for themselfs...
so gt8 is a must for them..
put 3-4 million into game..sell for billions 😅
extra zero-s in company bank account can't hurt right?

Why simply because we want a gt game that are not holdback by ps4, and sophy ai fully integreted, gt8 will become reality whatever you like it or not, gt7 as its core and what it does well, its good game, where it lacks is in single player department and some way needs a better progression, but gt7 is far from alone in this faith, fm is even worse despite taking 1,5 years longer, new test drive solar crown will be worst of them all with full pvp,

If you dont want to buy the next gt game dont, nobody is forced to do so
None of that is being held back by PS4 - they can add more events, missions, etc without GT8. And Sophy is not relevant to PS4 as it won't run on it, Sophy is a Sony AI project so it'll work as fast as they can go.

It wont be too long before Sony AI makes all Playstation content. Games developers will be history.
As long as we the customer subscribe to Sony AI plus premium we will be able to request what game we want and from scratch a week later after processing we will be able to download it.

None of that is being held back by PS4 - they can add more events, missions, etc without GT8. And Sophy is not relevant to PS4 as it won't run on it, Sophy is a Sony AI project so it'll work as fast as they can go.

Sophy ai will not be permant feature for gt7, it will most likely be marketing thing for gt8 it makes sense for a buisness perspective,
I belive they are also holding back cars for gt8, kaz already confirmed they can make around 60 cars a year, we only got 34 cars in 2023 for gt7, they could save some also for bigger update if ps5 pro releases this year,
We could still get sophy ai to use for custom races witch would be huge game changer,

It also feels like it to late to add missions endurance races or championchips for gt7 at this point, i would not mind it but not expecting much or any of that before gt8,
Hopefully next game will bring back gt league as main career, i doubt we ever see that change for gt7

I would not be supriced if gt8 is already being announced some time this year, and even could release as early as late 2025 or early 2026

Last edited:
Sophy ai will not be permant feature for gt7, it will most likely be marketing thing for gt8 it makes sense for a buisness perspective,
I belive they are also holding back cars for gt8, kaz already confirmed they can make around 60 cars a year, we only got 34 cars in 2023 for gt7, they could save some also for bigger update if ps5 pro releases this year,
We could still get sophy ai to use for custom races witch would be huge game changer,

It also feels like it to late to add missions endurance races or championchips for gt7 at this point, i would not mind it but not expecting much or any of that before gt8,
Hopefully next game will bring back gt league as main career, i doubt we ever see that change for gt7

I would not be supriced if gt8 is already being announced some time this year, and even could release as early as late 2025 or early 2026
I don't see why they'd take Sophy out of GT7? or been unable add more missions etc

I don't see why they'd take Sophy out of GT7? or been unable add more missions etc

I could see them keep improving sophy ai even for gt7, but i doubt it will be a full future for gt7, i hope we get more missions and other worthy single player content but feels like there wont be much of that now, they could at least add more grinding races like Tokyo or LeMans

2010 - GT5
2013 - GT6
2017 - GT Sport
2022 - GT7

Notice how the gaps have been getting bigger in recent years.
The gap between GT4 and GT5 was 6 years due to the move to the HD era and PD's difficulties with PS3 hardware. GT6 released just 3 years later as it used the same engine and assets. GTS to GT7 was closer to 4 years once you factor in release month. Who knows if GT7 could have been a PS5 launch title if PD didn't need to reengineer the title for PS4.

I expect the last hurrah for GT7 to be a PS5 Pro update later this year, much like the PSVR2 update. Whether that's accompanied by a Spec III update we'll have to wait and see. I suspect it will just be a tech update as significant content will be held back for GT8. I certainly think we'll hear about GT8 in '25 and could see it release by years end. If not, then early '26.

The gap between GT4 and GT5 was 6 years due to the move to the HD era and PD's difficulties with PS3 hardware. GT6 released just 3 years later as it used the same engine and assets. GTS to GT7 was closer to 4 years once you factor in release month. Who knows if GT7 could have been a PS5 launch title if PD didn't need to reengineer the title for PS4.
That’s not why. GT5 Prologue was released in 2007. It was a big title in its own right. Not big like GT Sport, but it was more than just a normal demo.

Last edited:
When it comes to exploring the full capabilities of the PS5, what I'm most looking forward to in GT8 is:

- Multi-class races and increasing the grid to 26 or 30 cars.

- The really worthwhile single player mode with a challenging simulation of real races, that is, with qualification before the race, some races with standing and rolling starts. All done under Sophy's supervision, of course.

Last edited:
That’s not why. GT5 Prologue was released in 2007. It was a big title in its own right. Not big like GT Sport, but it was more than just a normal demo.
I always imagined GT5 Prologue was greenlit as PD needed to get something to market. Even at launch GT5 was undercooked with a mismatch in quality throughout the title. Again, I think they came to the realisation they couldn't build everything from the ground up. GTS was the title where they had to bite the bullet and futureproof GT as best they could.

For GT8 I'm expecting a fairly straightforward development on PS5. The engine and assets can all be carried over, but now they have the headroom for new tech like Ray Tracing and SSD streaming, without the worry of getting a PS4 version up and running.
If GT8 is ps6 only, I would expect to start to look lifelike at that point? I hope anyway.
We're only midway through this generation with PS5 Pro due later this year. So we have at least another 4 years with PS5 and PD have yet to release a current gen only GT. There's a good chance GT9 could be cross gen with PS5/PS6.

People really need to understand that development times for games, especially AAA, have increased massively this generation. Thinking a brand new game is coming anytime soon is just not realistic. I honestly do not expect another numbered GT before the PS6, around 2027.

It’s likely that GT8 will get released around the 30th anniversary of the franchise. GT6 was marketed as the 15th anniversary and GT7 as the 25th. Also, there’s no point in releasing GT8 before the Playstation hardware has evolved. PS5 Pro is probably happening at some point, and PD should aim for whatever specs that might have.

There’s zero point in releasing a new title for this console. From a $$$-making standpoint, they’d be better served to release a PS5-only “Lewis Hamilton”-esque DLC with more events, challenges, missions, full Sophy integration….blah blah blah. Charge $30-40 for it, and market it like a new game with a light TV commercial campaign and everything. Pair up the advertising with the PS5 pro launch, and that’s a 2-1 for Sony. Save the R&D and development costs for the next title on the next gen console.

No one is really clamoring for a new game. Just more content. PD and Sony aren’t stupid. They know that the GT7 sandbox and features are completely under-utilized. Assuming that this next update will be content-heavy…going to an every 2-3 month update schedule is smart.

Last edited:
People really need to understand that development times for games, especially AAA, have increased massively this generation. Thinking a brand new game is coming anytime soon is just not realistic. I honestly do not expect another numbered GT before the PS6, around 2027.
Isn’t that the point? We aren’t talking about a brand new game in terms of content and technology. Even after the development hell of GT5 PD still released GT6 just three years later.

GT8 would be heavily based on the technology of GT7 but take advantage of PS5 & PS5 Pro. For example in-gameplay ray tracing at 60fps and SSD utilisation. I’d be amazed if GT8 had more than 80-100 new cars and 4-6 new tracks.
It’s likely that GT8 will get released around the 30th anniversary of the franchise. GT6 was marketed as the 15th anniversary and GT7 as the 25th. Also, there’s no point in releasing GT8 before the Playstation hardware has evolved. PS5 Pro is probably happening at some point, and PD should aim for whatever specs that might have.
PD still haven’t released a title that takes full advantage of PS5. PS5 Pro is a mid-gen upgrade and set to release in Oct/Nov this year.

I expect GT7 to get a PS5 Pro update and be one of Sony’s showcase titles. But it would still only be a cross-gen game.
There’s zero point in releasing a new title for this console. From a $$$-making standpoint, they’d be better served to release a PS5-only “Lewis Hamilton”-esque DLC with more events, challenges, missions, full Sophy integration….blah blah blah. Charge $30-40 for it, and market it like a new game with a light TV commercial campaign and everything. Pair up the advertising with the PS5 pro launch, and that’s a 2-1 for Sony. Save the R&D and development costs for the next title on the next gen console.

No one is really clamoring for a new game. Just more content. PD and Sony aren’t stupid. They know that the GT7 sandbox and features are completely under-utilized. Assuming that this next update will be content-heavy…going to an every 2-3 month update schedule is smart.
Why go to all that trouble for an expensive DLC with limited appeal? They can package it up as GT8 and sell 10m-15m copies at $70. That’s essentially what GT2, GT4, GT6 where.

Next-gen and PS6 are still another 4-5 years away. Sony will want at least two full titles per gen from PD. They took the hit with GTS (and to an extent GT7) to rebuild their technology and content. Now’s the time to capitalise on that hard work.

Last edited:
Why go to all that trouble for an expensive DLC with limited appeal? They can package it up as GT8 and sell 10m-15m copies at $70. That’s essentially what GT2, GT4, GT6 were.

Next-gen and PS6 are still another 4-5 years away. Sony will want at least two full titles per gen from PD. They took the hit with GTS (and to an extent GT7) to rebuild their technology and content. Now’s the time to capitalise on that hard work.

Making $$$ is the point of selling a content-rich DLC package that still takes advantage of the current GT7 framework - while still developing a new title in the background that would either be built for PS6 exclusively, or most likely another cross-platform release.

They haven’t even come close to optimizing GT7 for the current generation console. No need to release a new game yet, if people really are only asking for more content that takes advantage of the PS5.

Last edited:
It is likely GT8 will be a PS5 exclusive, whereas GT7 was PS4 and PS5 cross gen. PD have confirmed GT8 is being worked on, and that was confirmed some time ago.

Developing a new game for a new, next gen console takes considerably more resources than developing a follow up on the existing console. The content delivery for GT7 has been considerably slower than what PD are able to produce, they have said as much. So it seem logical that content is being developed and held back for GT8.

It's a perfectly normal business decision and if I were in game design, and had a title that was released and a follow up in developemtn, it's precicely what I would do.

Talk of the PS6 is premature IMO, Sony will no doubt be working on it, or something, but that's a console that's still in conception, let alone development consoles being out there for developers to be working with. It's unlikely to be seriousely on anyones radar at the moment.

The money is on GT8 releasing on the PS5 before it reaches end of life cycle and then GT9 releasing on PS6 or whatever comes after the PS5. Though it's not out of the question GT8 does release on PS6, if it did, it would likely be another cross gen scenario and it would be using assets from GT7.

Last edited:
It is likely GT8 will be a PS5 exclusive, whereas GT7 was PS4 and PS5 cross gen. PD have confirmed GT8 is being worked on, and that was confirmed some time ago.

Developing a new game for a new, next gen console takes considerably more resources than developing a follow up on the existing console. The content delivery for GT7 has been considerably slower than what PD are able to produce, they have said as much. So it seem logical that content is being developed and held back for GT8.

It's a perfectly normal business decision and if I were in game design, and had a title that was released and a follow up in developemtn, it's precicely what I would do.

Talk of the PS6 is premature IMO, Sony will no doubt be working on it, or something, but that's a console that's still in conception, let alone development consoles being out there for developers to be working with. It's unlikely to be seriousely on anyones radar at the moment.

The money is on GT8 releasing on the PS5 before it reaches end of life cycle and then GT9 releasing on PS6 or whatever comes after the PS5. Though it's not out of the question GT8 does release on PS6, if it did, it would likely be another cross gen scenario and it would be using assets from GT7.

I’m willing to bet my paycheck that the PS6 specs were finalized a while ago, and the major game developers already have them

I’m willing to bet my paycheck that the PS6 specs were finalized a while ago, and the major game developers already have them
There's no way for you to prove this, that's not to say you are categprically wrong. Of course not, but it's pure speculation and it's based on, very little.

If we assume a 7 year cycle, we can expect a PS6 sometimes around 2027. But that's about all we can speculate with.

I would expect we will see GT8 before then, in fact, I would expect GT8 will be announced far closer to it's release date than GT7 ended up being announced including the delay.

The smart money is on GT8 not taking too long to release and releasing on PS5 IMO. There's very little reason for GT8 to take a long time to develop. It needs a batch of new cars, a few new tracks and a revised gameplay loop and structure sto differentiate it from GT7.

As I said before, we're already seeing that PD aren't releasing content for GT7, close to the speed that they themselves said that they can develop it. It's been that way from the start. We've also known GT8 is being worked on for over a year now.

There's no credible rumours about PS6 specs or development consoles being out there. They could be, and it's all very well under wraps, but there are a lot of developers around the world and with that, huge scope leaks.

I could be wrong, but I don't see GT8 not being on the PS5.

Last edited:
Making $$$ is the point of selling a content-rich DLC package that still takes advantage of the current GT7 framework - while still developing a new title in the background that would either be built for PS6 exclusively, or most likely another cross-platform release.

They haven’t even come close to optimizing GT7 for the current generation console. No need to release a new game yet, if people really are only asking for more content that takes advantage of the PS5.
If such a plan was in the works a more expansive Spec II would have been a logical starting point. We're now heading into year three for GT7 and PS5 Pro is less than 12 months away. I'm sure PD want to be done with PS4 and put all resources into PS5 & PS5 Pro.

GT8 could well become that GAAS model with seasons and paid content. But I strongly suspect that won't be introduced for GT7 at this stage. I'm not entirely dismissive of some kind of PS5 only GT7 Special Edition, with an upgrade option for existing owners like TLOU2 Remaster. But I think Sony would want an all-new package on store shelves rather than just offer in-game DLC.

Last edited:
There's no way for you to prove this, that's not to say you are categprically wrong. Of course not, but it's pure speculation and it's based on, very little.

If we assume a 7 year cycle, we can expect a PS6 sometimes around 2027. But that's about all we can speculate with.

I would expect we will see GT8 before then, in fact, I would expect GT8 will be announced far closer to it's release date than GT7 ended up being announced including the delay.

The smart money is on GT8 not taking too long to release and releasing on PS5 IMO. There's very little reason for GT8 to take a long time to develop. It needs a batch of new cars, a few new tracks and a revised gameplay loop and structure sto differentiate it from GT7.

As I said before, we're already seeing that PD aren't releasing content for GT7, close to the speed that they themselves said that they can develop it. It's been that way from the start. We've also known GT8 is being worked on for over a year now.

There's no credible rumours about PS6 specs or development consoles being out there. They could be, and it's all very well under wraps, but there are a lot of developers around the world and with that, huge scope leaks.

I could be wrong, but I don't see GT8 not being on the PS5.

It is speculation, of course. But I know I’m right.

If we could logically expect a new console in 3 years time (taking into consideration that it takes a very long time to develop AAA titles now), than the same AAA developers have had their new consoles for a MINIMUM of a year. Probably more. And you need to realize that these devs sign very expensive penalty-binding NDA’s.

Do I know this from first hand knowledge?

No. I’m not a nerd.

….But my brother in law did a lot of different things in tech…including game development. And this is how it works.

PLUS….

The PS5 standard, slim, and impending Pro were all ready to go the day the standard PS5 launched. This is also….how it works.

When you combine the time it takes to acquire parts, train employees (if needed), and re-tool an assembly line, clear QA, get packaged, get shipped, and clear customs. Hell, all 3 versions of the PS5 were set in stone and ready to go a year before they got into our hands.

SO….

Taking all that into consideration your 2027 timeline. Yeah, the next-gen console specs were already finalized a while ago. my guess when we see a PS6, will largely depend on what the economy is doing at the time

If such a plan was in the works a more expansive Spec II would have been a logical starting point. We're now heading into year three for GT7 and PS5 Pro is less than 12 months away. I'm sure PD want to be done with PS4 and put all resources into PS5 & PS5 Pro.

I have no clue why Sony and PD hage catered to the PS4 as long as they have. like mentioned above, my only assumption is the economy.

Last edited:
I have no clue why Sony and PD hage catered to the PS4 as long as they have. like mentioned above, my only assumption is the economy.
It's not exactly the difference between the PS2 and PS3 or the PS3 and the PS4. The basic architecture is the same between the PS4 and PS5. Other than ray-tracing and other optimizations/instruction set extensions available on the Zen2/RDNA2 CPU/GPU not available on the Jaguar/GCN, the PS4 can do, at a rather slower speed speed, what the PS5 can do.

It is speculation, of course. But I know I’m right.

If we could logically expect a new console in 3 years time (taking into consideration that it takes a very long time to develop AAA titles now), than the same AAA developers have had their new consoles for a MINIMUM of a year. Probably more. And you need to realize that these devs sign very expensive penalty-binding NDA’s.

Do I know this from first hand knowledge?

No. I’m not a nerd.

….But my brother in law did a lot of different things in tech…including game development. And this is how it works.

PLUS….

The PS5 standard, slim, and impending Pro were all ready to go the day the standard PS5 launched. This is also….how it works.

When you combine the time it takes to acquire parts, train employees (if needed), and re-tool an assembly line, clear QA, get packaged, get shipped, and clear customs. Hell, all 3 versions of the PS5 were set in stone and ready to go a year before they got into our hands.

SO….

Taking all that into consideration your 2027 timeline. Yeah, the next-gen console specs were already finalized a while ago. my guess when we see a PS6, will largely depend on what the economy is doing at the time

I don't agree with all of your points. Much of that is how it happens, sometimes. But I'm happy to conceed those points regardless as they still don't change the smart money being on a PS5 release IMO. I expect we will see GT8 before the PS6 launches.

Last edited:
I can see gt8 been showcased this year but at latest next year

PD haven't made a proper GT game since GT4.

That was TWO console generations ago.

Dont quite agree about that, gt7 is a great game just with some flaws specially with single player and progression, but every modern racing game has a bad single player, fm 23 is even worse than gt7, while i think gt7 is not exactly great in single player, fm has no varity its just the same races with different cars, no endurance races and no races that uses race cars or take advantage of tyre wear and fuel, and lets not forget its fomo, its quite sad you defend fm single player while jumping on gt7 career, at least gt7 has licences driving experinces, driving missions and even races that uses fuel and Tyre wear, to create more varity,

Last edited:
Back