Battlefield 1

• Thread starter GTFan24
  • 728 comments
I played it for a whlie now

While its a solid game, Battlefield 4 is much better. Thats not too big of a knock on BF1, because BF4 is in my top 10 games of all time list.

My biggest gripe is the maps. They all feel the same to me. Battlefield 4 had maps that were focused. Parcel Storm was a naval battle map. Golmud Railway was a wide open tank battle map. Operation Locker was a tight close quarters infantry map. Siege of Shanghai was a vertical map, etc etc.

But all the BF1 maps feel hardly different from eachother. Map design is the greatest either. At most flags in BF4 there was some sort of building or structure so attacking or defending forces could hide and put up a defense or offense. In BF1 it seems all the flags have limited cover around them.

Again I still think BF1 is a good game, its just not great like BF4.

I'm going to enjoy being a medic in this game, my favourite thing in BF4 was being the Assault class with defibrillators, medic bags and the M39 EMR with a 1911 as a secondary. Looks like the semi-auto rifles will suit me quite well. Also am I the only one who thinks that all the soldiers running around with capes look dumb? I don't think anyone even did that in WWI...

There's a lot of things in the game that were not in WW1, DICE had to have some artistic licence. As what i thought was quite obvious and well known - BF1 isnt a hyper realistic or incredibly detailed version of WW1. Its an FPS inspired heavily by WW1.

Long post warning. Pretty sure I'm going to be typing this for a while, so yay for premonitions!

Picked up BF1 on Thursday after class. Not sure how long I've played it exactly, but I'm probably over ten hours at this point.

So far, I'm absolutly loving this game. It's probably been the better part of a year since I last played a Battlefield game, and oh how I've missed it. The medic class is easily one of my favorites. I've always enjoyed semi-auto rifles for some reason, so I fit right in there. Rush is still a ton of fun, as is Conquest. I gave Operations a try, but my team was pretty lackluster, so it felt pretty meh to me. I like the idea of the "sweet spot" mechanic for the Recon (or is it Sniper now) class. The Assault class is a great class for vehicular combat, although I do wish they had at least one weapon suited for medium range. Support is still kind of moot to me. I've never really enjoyed the class, and it's the same story here.

Overall, classes feel the same, maybe a bit better.

Some of the maps are good, and some are bad. I absolutly adore Amiens, but Suez and Argonne Forest are absolute meat grinders; pretty much the same as O.P. Locker, except they're even more unpredictable and chaotic.

Grenades are an issue again, I feel. Seems like every time I run into a building, in comes at least one stick grenade and one gas grenade. I'd like to see it toned down a bit, but god knows how. Might have resurrect F.R.A.G.S. (Friendlies Really Against Grenade Spam)

I've only played BF3, BF4, and BF1, but I'd say this one if my favorite out of the bunch. I liked 3, since I was so new to the franchise, 4 felt like a rehash of 3, but 1 feels different. The setting change works wonders for me. No more lock ons! NO MORE LOCK ONS!!! I even feel the campaign is better, albeit shorter, but I like the multiple perspectives. It works.

Not a fan of the warbonds system, however. I've already had a few times where I wanted a different gun, something I could do better with, but have been short 10 or so credits in order to get it. If they're going to use a payment method for ranking up, at least make the payout an even number.

Now time for gameplay rants!

Just got out of a Rush server with people who should never, ver play football. Why? Because no matter what my team did, everything got past them.

First round, attacking. The map was...Empire's End? The first set of M-COMS...ah...Telegrapghs, we practicly destroyed the building surrounding A, yet nobody on my team could push up and arm it. It's an open area for crying out loud! If you can arm it, have everyone put their sights on it, shoot whoever walks up to it, and you're golden! But nope, we all wanna sit back and snipe. So, we failed on that one. Next round, defending. I've never seen a team get overrun so quickly. These guys couldn't hold an objective for two minutes, tops. Every time, some guy with a Gewher M.95 Infantry would come in and clear off anybody in the building. The guy ended up going 42-25. How...HOW? With a bolt action? Jesus... Anyhow, we make it to the very...last...telegraph. Whichever one was up in a tower, with the morter and grenade proof roof. (Rhyme!) We had to protect a stairway and a door...of course, that some dip:censored: had to keep opening. I must have closed that thing 20 times during that set. Somehow, by the power of the gods, did we hold off on that last telegraph. Some people on there are part of the joke FBI: Full Blown Idiots.

EDIT: One last thing. I soundtrack, is absolutly beautiful! No more techno, just nice, dramtic symphonic sound. I approve.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying Battlefield 1, I haven't enjoyed an FPS game so much since MW2,

My few gripes are,
The campaign/ story modes are to short,
The AI in campaign is ridiculously accurate over long distances with short range weapons,
Not enough 'trench warfare' for a game set in WW1,

Otherwise its a solid game, I love the Argonne online maps, the closest thing the game offers to trench warfare, there's a few online maps that are a bit basic and crap, but the good things really outweigh the negatives,

I do wish we had the ability of parachuting platoons and a few other things like that which made the earlier Battlefield games fun,

I have just picked this up on PS4, lovely graphics and enjoying the Campaign so far. I thought I read somewhere there will be a patch for the Spectator/Cinematic/Free Photo mode on console, am I missing this or is it still to come? I think I have downloaded all 2gb updates now on first entering disc.👍

That's a big one. Any idea on what it weighs in at? I'll probably get on today, but I've been sucked into Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for a bit :lol:

A few things in this update really improve the experience for me - I played 3 games of conquest this morning.

#1 - The squad leader automatically going to the first person who requested orders, if leader not giving orders, really improves the flow when you are playing with randoms. - This is IMO the greatest change. It really helps a lot.

Support Class (the only class I am playing right now)
The Mortar feels more like BF4 - it is delayed to improve accuracy and they way this accuracy is shown on the mini map is nice (a shrinking circle) - The splash damage reduction was not overdone. The additional smoke charges are cool too.
The LMG that I use is just a bit nicer, nothing crazy. - overall people seem happier with LMGs.

Flying a plane with the AA gun balance is nice. It does not seem over done. So using the AA guns you can still take down a plane with skilled shooting.

The ability to configure your classes in the main menu is nice to finally have. Thing is.. it is NOT very obvious where it is. I only saw it as a little gun icon on the bottom of the screen. Hopefully people notice and spend their time messing with setups outside of matches now.

The game seemed to run just slightly better over all on ps4, nothing crazy though.

I did end up with a bug on the screen where the word HINT was stuck on the screen till a match ended. I think it came from the new hints on the Mortar.

Anyways.. it is a nice update as far as I can tell.

I disagree with the Operations tickets though. It was impossible to defend already...now it's going to be bloody stupid.

Very happy with the bipods on my LMG's though, and glad the servers are seeing some attention. However if anybody's noticed, there's a new glitch when editing classes in game. #ScoutAssaultier :P (only on the loadout screen though lol)

I disagree with the Operations tickets though. It was impossible to defend already...now it's going to be bloody stupid.
Isn't that in favor of the offensive team? They generally had a hard time on that game mode, from the few games of it I tried.

Isn't that in favor of the offensive team? They generally had a hard time on that game mode, from the few games of it I tried.

Sure, the first time through, but once they got the behemoth in the second attack, R.I.P. defenders.

If they really want to balance Operations, add more tickets for the attackers, but take away the behemoth.

My view is a bit skewed I will admit....because my friend and I usually end up with a team of idiots, or just so happen to run into players that would make MLG's look awful. :crazy: Even when its fair though, the behemoths just wreck everything in sight. Defending often feels like the songs "Resist and Bite" or "40:1"....or "Panzerkampf" (all by Sabaton). I'll admit, at first, it feels awesome even when losing, but after you lose the third sector in a row and all hope is lost, it becomes the world's most painful slog. Unless you end up on one of the "Blitzkrieg" teams, then you feel awesome but the game lasts all of but 5 seconds, unless you somehow miraculously end up with a pair of teams full of super players. Then its jaw dropping.

To help the defenders, maybe Dice should fix that ridiculous glitch where the defenders LOSE THEIR AA AND FIELD GUNS! :banghead: Or to be sneaky, have AI dudes or give us some armored vehicles.

Last edited:
Anyone tried the Martini Henry and Kolibri combo? Even though the Kolibri is a joke gun at this rate, the combo of the two firearms is VERY deadly to those unwillingly found in the line of fire.

Just stumbled on this genius DLC idea...:

Elephant-mounted%2Bmachine-gun%2C%2B1914.jpg

Picked this up yesterday and am really enjoying it so far. The campaign seems great although it looks really short but the multiplayer is absolutely amazing. Been sticking mostly with the Medic and Scout classes, using the Factory Regotti and Infantry Geuher. Played a few matches of conquest and every one of them has been amazing, with a few really close matches.

Completed all the War Stories and it is just as short as I thought it would by but I still had a blast playing it. Also been playing a lot of MP which is still amazing, I feel I'm getting a lot better at sniping so am saving up my warbonds to get an M1903 Sniper which should help at longer ranges.

Here's 2 quick videos I made for it:

Wow the servers have been terrible for the last few days on PS4, since the patch, any reason why?

Looks great, but still not enough trench warfare,
Levelcap had a video with some leaked information, and apparently there is a trench map like the one from the campaign (one where the pilot's crossing no man's land) coming, with the behemoth being giant howitzers. :drool:

Ea say we will be getting loads of dlc over the next couple of years as there wont be another battlefield for a while, Star Wars bf2 is where they are mainly working. Any free maps are all good considering ea charge through the nose for most dlc.keep them coming ea, this game is a behomoth !

Back