Formula 1 Gran Premio de México.Formula 1 

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 221 comments
What a weird race though, a Mercedes finishing a lap behind, on raw pace... Vettel almost lapping him...

Mercedes will really have to figure out what the hell happened if they hope to win the constructors this year.

The circuit is much higher than other circuits so the air is thinner what gives less downforce with as result tyre problems.

It feels odd thinking back to when I started watching F1: there was 5 titles for Fangio, 4 for Prost and a handful of drivers with 3. The only Englishman to have won more than once was Graham Hill. Prost had the most wins, with 51, Senna was next on 41 and Mansell had 31. Senna had a seemingly-unassailable pole position record with nearly as many poles as the next two on the list combined - 65 for Ayrton, 33 each for Clark and Prost.

tl;dr: I'm old.

Edit: and of the 23 F1 seasons I've watched, 3 drivers - Schumacher, Hamilton and Vettel - have won 14 of them.

Last edited:
Roo

Quoted for truth.

Untitled.png

The main team has not had these issues.
What is so different in the design of red bulls power unit and the manufactures team power unit

Renault is still on the B spec. RBR on the C spec. Edit. RBR was also on the B spec this weekend. Odd.

But Max keeps his one going, so clearly Daniel is doing something wrong with his engine.

edit.

Sportsmanship

jsg4bzodqzu11.jpg

Last edited:
What is so different in the design of red bulls power unit and the manufactures team power unit

Probably cooling. Adrian Newey has always gone for the most tightly-fitting bodywork with as few drag-inducing ducts as possible; whilst this means his chassis designs are amongst the fastest, they also tend to suffer from a lack of cooling to the engine and associated components, making reliability an issue.

Renault is still on the B spec. RBR on the C spec.

But Max keeps his one going, so clearly Daniel is doing something wrong with his engine.

edit.

Sportsmanship

jsg4bzodqzu11.jpg

Or max got lucky and had the problem in practice and Ricardo got unlucky and got the problem in the race :).

My understanding is it’s the packaging of the car and the installation.

If you look at the sheer performance, Red Bull are pushing far harder, this race was a good example of just how good their car is. With a Honda engine they could be a serious contender

My understanding is it’s the packaging of the car and the installation.

If you look at the sheer performance, Red Bull are pushing far harder, this race was a good example of just how good their car is. With a Honda engine they could be a serious contender

Torro Rosso have not had luck this year as well.
Didn't gasly have 8 powerunit swaps or something?

I would assume Torro Rosso has a similar chassis design to the main team.

Torro Rosso have not had luck this year as well.
Didn't gasly have 8 powerunit swaps or something?

I would assume Torro Rosso has a similar chassis design to the main team.
I wouldn’t.

Honda have been able to show what they can do with a decent lower midfield team. I would imagine next year will be a bit messy in terms of reliability, but they’ll get some decent performances.

Roo
It feels odd thinking back to when I started watching F1: there was 5 titles for Fangio, 4 for Prost and a handful of drivers with 3.
tl;dr: I'm old.
It feels odd thinking back to when I started watching F1: there was 5 titles for Fangio, 2 for Brabham and a handful of drivers with 1.
tl;dr: I'm even older. :scared:

IMO the greatest Grand Prix team ever to race is Mercedes. They were dominant in the 30's until stopped by WWII, dominant in the 50's until LeMans '55. Now they are dominant again, at least until a new engine formula.

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton. Definitely ranks with Fangio, Senna, Prost and Schumacher as the greatest statistical achievers of the F1 era. My greatest heroes will always be Stirling Moss, Jim Clark, Graham Hill and Dan Gurney. I'm also a perpetual fan of Jack Brabham, Emerson Fittipaldi and Nigel Mansell, who along with Gurney I have met personally.

Probably the most remarkable thing about this season:

MISSION
WINNOW

is apparently a serious attempt at conveying a message and they’re sticking with it.

Roo
Mercedes have to score 31 points to secure the Constructors; they can finish 5th and 6th in both remaining races and win the title regardless of what Ferrari do.

Preservation: They wanted to sew up that WDC.

:lol: at Will Smith coming in acting like he has any clue about this sport. I like Lewis but man he attracts a lot fake celebrities to the sport that want to feed off his success.

While Lewis undoubtedly attracts that type, I don't think Will Smith needs to piggyback off of anybody to get noticed... :lol:

Roo
Probably cooling. Adrian Newey has always gone for the most tightly-fitting bodywork with as few drag-inducing ducts as possible; whilst this means his chassis designs are amongst the fastest, they also tend to suffer from a lack of cooling to the engine and associated components, making reliability an issue.

From the talk around the last few failures, that's a bullseye.

With Red Bull becoming de facto factory team for Honda, they might be able to have the power unit designed to fit the concept better than having to share a compromised design with other teams.

It feels odd thinking back to when I started watching F1: there was 5 titles for Fangio, 2 for Brabham and a handful of drivers with 1.
tl;dr: I'm even older. :scared:

IMO the greatest Grand Prix team ever to race is Mercedes. They were dominant in the 30's until stopped by WWII, dominant in the 50's until LeMans '55. Now they are dominant again, at least until a new engine formula.

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton. Definitely ranks with Fangio, Senna, Prost and Schumacher as the greatest statistical achievers of the F1 era. My greatest heroes will always be Stirling Moss, Jim Clark, Graham Hill and Dan Gurney. I'm also a perpetual fan of Jack Brabham, Emerson Fittipaldi and Nigel Mansell, who along with Gurney I have met personally.

I was old enough to catch Lauda's last championship, and Prost's back-to-back (even had a Marlboro-liveried MP4, but I didn't really think much about F1 in-depth until the 90's.

Continue to rest your heads on the stone of destiny gents. Great season for Mercedes pilot wise but the constructors seems out of reach. Thank you Valtteri you are a superb teammate.

Seeing the true professional congeniality between Hammy and Vettel at the end was heartwarming.

Will Nico R. ever return to F1 or will he remain a commentator? (which he's good and funny at)

Leclerc at Ferrari will be fun. Danny Ric at Renault is so interesting. No Alonso is sad. What other changes are in store?

"Yesterday was history, tomorrow's a mystery."

Looking forward to 2019.

Post race interview Daniel said he's "completely done with it, Gasly can take my seat".

First emotional response or will he actually quit now? His reaction is completely to understand after another bad luck race. Beste quali and then this....I would also throw the towel.

Id be interested to know how many units renault has used compared to red bull? He'll definately be happier finishing races next year albeit probably lower down. I do remember last year or the year before when they had that terrible preseason when they didnt get any laps in, that the way they packaged it for aero was one of the reasons.

Congratulations Hamilton.
Respect to Vettel.

Respect to Vettel indeed. :cheers:

Congratulations to Hamilton on his 5th(!) world title, and to Mercedes for all their hard work in making it possible against some initially strong competition. No doubt their 5th title is just around the corner.

Forgive me if this was discussed earlier in the thread....but what’s this business of Max telling the pit wall to turn down his PU for him? At one point it sounded like Max was literally begging them to do something to his PU.

Isn’t that kind of Pit-to-car control illegal? I would have thought that if either Max or RB would want to turn down the PU, then Max would have to do it himself with controls in the cockpit - not the team on the pitwall.

Forgive me if this was discussed earlier in the thread....but what’s this business of Max telling the pit wall to turn down his PU for him? At one point it sounded like Max was literally begging them to do something to his PU.

Isn’t that kind of Pit-to-car control illegal? I would have thought that if either Max or RB would want to turn down the PU, then Max would have to do it himself with controls in the cockpit - not the team on the pitwall.
He was probably asking them to advise him on settings for him to set the car too in order to save the car. The cars are so incredibly complex and have so many parts he wont know how or whats best to turn down, where as the team have a whole pit-wall and then office in the UK getting and analysing all the data.

He was probably asking them to advise him on settings for him to set the car too in order to save the car. The cars are so incredibly complex and have so many parts he wont know how or whats best to turn down, where as the team have a whole pit-wall and then office in the UK getting and analysing all the data.

This.

The team has a live feed of the car's telemetry that gives them all the data regarding its "health", but they can only suggest to the driver what the best settings should be with regards to either outright performance, or long-term durability.

I’ll have to watch the replay again tonight, but it didn’t seem like Max was asking, “guys, which setting should I adjust?”, it sounded more like he was telling the team “please turn down the PU for me.”

I fully acknowledge English is not Max’s strongest suit, so I’m willing to give benefit of the doubt there....but it still sounded very odd.

As far as the cars being so incredibly complex, sorry, not buying it. They’re complex, but not any more complex than an F22 Raptor, where the pilot is required to intimately know every single system on the aircraft, inside and out. An F22 pilot would most certainly know how to “turn down their engine.” I don’t for a second buy that driving an F1 car for fun on Sunday is more complex or complicated than flying an F22 in combat. Either F1 drivers are not doing their studying and homework away from the circuit, or this “complexity” rhetoric is just an excuse to justify pit-to-car influence.

As far as the cars being so incredibly complex, sorry, not buying it. They’re complex, but not any more complex than an F22 Raptor, where the pilot is required to intimately know every single system on the aircraft, inside and out. An F22 pilot would most certainly know how to “turn down their engine.” I don’t for a second buy that driving an F1 car for fun on Sunday is more complex or complicated than flying an F22 in combat. Either F1 drivers are not doing their studying and homework away from the circuit, or this “complexity” rhetoric is just an excuse to justify pit-to-car influence.

*the deafening sound of my head smashing against a wall*

You're 1000% right, in fact I actually think that he wanted one of the engineers to fly a drone over the car on the start/finish straight and have it connect a USB cable to the outside of the engine cover in order to physically turn it down.

*the deafening sound of my head smashing against a wall*
:lol: you can smash your face all you want (give it another smash, c’mon, go ahead!), doesn’t change the fact that operating an F22 is leagues more complex than operating an F1 car.

But go on, repeat Ted Kravitz’s rhetoric about how complex these cars are, Ill wait.

Baldgye, have you ever spent extended time on an Air Force base? How much time do you have around go-fast jets, how many convos with fighter pilots have you had?

:lol: you can smash your face all you want (give it another smash, c’mon, go ahead!), doesn’t change the fact that operating an F22 is leagues more complex than operating an F1 car.

But go on, repeat Ted Kravitz’s rhetoric about how complex these cars are, Ill wait.

No mate you're are 100% right, F1 cars are a doddle, its why I hate that F1 drivers are richer than Astronauts, they just drive these super up go-karts around circles all day. I mean, drivers should be able to easily resolve settings problems and setup issues with the car, ezpz np

Back