Formula 1 Gran Premio de México.Formula 1 

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 221 comments
Will Nico R. ever return to F1 or will he remain a commentator? (which he's good and funny at)
Rosberg clearly enjoys the family time he deserted Mercedes for. The chance he returns as an F1 racing driver is zero.

Last edited:
No mate you're are 100% right, F1 cars are a doddle, its why I hate that F1 drivers are richer than Astronauts, they just drive these super up go-karts around circles all day. I mean, drivers should be able to easily resolve settings problems and setup issues with the car, ezpz np
Sorry but an article about the one time one driver had trouble adjusting one setting doesn’t in any way, shape, or form prove than an F1 car is anywhere near as complex as an F22, or other go-fast fighter jet.

I also never, never said that F1 cars are a “doodle”. I said theyrenot as complex as the media and teams are making them out to be. I’m also saying that the drivers should be capable of understanding all the systems on the car, the same way a fighter pilot understands all the systems on their craft - an F1 car is not so immensely complex that it is impossible for a human to know all its systems, fighter jets and their pilots demonstrate that this is totally possible.

So, other than complete sarcasm, head smashing, and linking insignificant stories, do you have anything to add to your case that an F1 car is a more complex piece of machinery than an F22 (with the underlying point being that F22 pilots know their systems, why can’t F1 drivers?).

Edit:
As far as the money, now it’s my turn to face smash? Are you for real? How much profit did NASA turn last year that they can then convert into salary for astronaughts? Have you ever seen a fighter jet with Monster Energy or Redbull sponsorship??

You might as well have said “why do basketball players get payed more than doctors???” Based off your logic, putting a ball in a hoop is more complex than brain surgery. The money being payed to the respective operators is completely unrelated to the complexity of the machines being operated.

Trust me, if we could sell a TV package/broadcast rights for the next war for X millions dollars, if we could get Mercedes and Ferrari branding on the side of all the US Nimitz class carriers, if we could turn a fighter pilot into an international celebrity, then ya, pilots would be payed as much as F1 drivers, or any other celebrity (you think because Kim K makes a lot of money, her job is more complex than someone who makes less??). But since we’re talking about two completely different industries (one being private, the other one government funded), then the money involved is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Sorry but an article about the one time one driver had trouble adjusting one setting doesn’t in any way, shape, or form prove than an F1 car is anywhere near as complex as an F22, or other go-fast fighter jet.

You brought up the inane comparison of an F1 car to an F22 Raptor, not me, chappy.

You brought up the inane comparison of an F1 car to an F22 Raptor, not me, chappy.
It’s not inane at all.

People say F1 cars are so complex that it is impossible for a driver to learn all the systems, therefor they need help from the pit wall.

An F22 is a more complex machine than an F1 car, yet the pilots of those machines memorize every single system on that aircraft - every menu, every setting, every adjustment, zero exceptions.

So how is it that one group of humans, pilots, can memorize the systems on their machines, but another group of humans, F1 drivers, can’t memorize all the systems on their (less complex) machines?

The arguement that an F1 car is too complex for a driver to memorize all the systems is easily diprovable by demonstrating that there are other people out there who are operating and memorizing the systems of far more complex machines.

It’s not inane at all.

People say F1 cars are so complex that it is impossible for a driver to learn all the systems, therefor they need help from the pit wall.

No, what I said was Max was radioing for help from the pit wall as he was unsure what caused Riccy's failure. Something not even Christian Horner knew the cause of while he was chatting with the Sky commentary team mid-race.

It’s not inane at all.

An F22 is a more complex machine than an F1 car, yet the pilots of those machines memorize every single system on that aircraft - every menu, every setting, every adjustment, zero exceptions.

So how is it that one group of humans, pilots, can memorize the systems on their machines, but another group of humans, F1 drivers, can’t memorize all the systems on their (less complex) machines?

The arguement that an F1 car is too complex for a driver to memorize all the systems is easily diprovable by demonstrating that there are other people out there who are operating and memorizing the systems of far more complex machines.
To compare a F22 to an F1 car isn't comparable, an F22 may be more complex but it isn't exactly changing over time having constant upgrades anywhere near the level of an F1 Car, also Pilots are not exactly racing other pilots, so instead on focusing on being the fastest and memorizing tracks they can spend more time learning the complexities of their aircraft.

Not only that but pilots are hired based on how they handle those complexities, where as F1 drivers are pretty much only hired on how fast they can drive, meaning their focus as a driver to succeed must be aimed at being fastest over anything else.

It's a completely invalid comparison.

No, what I said was Max was radioing for help from the pit wall as he was unsure what caused Riccy's failure. Something not even Christian Horner knew the cause of while he was chatting with the Sky commentary team mid-race.
Max radioing for help? Which radio messages were you listening to?

I just watched the closing laps of the race, and wrote down all of Max’s radio messages, as they were played on the Sky TV broadcast.

Lap 63, Max - “Umm yup, check my engine. If we need to turn it down, turn it down.”

Lap 64, Max - “I have massive brake pulling, I need to something something the lap.”

Lap 65, Max - “Again, if we need to turn it down, please do it.”

Christian Horner on Lap 67 “....and obviously concerned now that issue could be mirrored on Max’s car.”

Martin Brundle - “He’s just done a couple 1:19s, not exactly coasting along, perfect pace.”

CH - “uhh ya we’ve obviously turned everything down as best we can, but the problem is you don’t want things to get too cold, brakes and things like that, so he’s continuing to circle at a pace to close out the remaining laps now.”

3 Laps to go, Max’s Engineer - “And we have now turned the engine down Max, for reference. Bring it home.”

Max - “Ok”

Engineer “Thank you”

Brundle - “Can they do that from the pit wall???”

Nothing about that seems like Max asking for help :lol: Read into it what you will.

To compare a F22 to an F1 car isn't comparable, an F22 may be more complex but it isn't exactly changing over time having constant upgrades anywhere near the level of an F1 Car, also Pilots are not exactly racing other pilots, so instead on focusing on being the fastest and memorizing tracks they can spend more time learning the complexities of their aircraft.

Not only that but pilots are hired based on how they handle those complexities, where as F1 drivers are pretty much only hired on how fast they can drive, meaning their focus as a driver to succeed must be aimed at being fastest over anything else.

It's a completely invalid comparison.
I’ll agree it’s not a great comparison, F1 isn’t anywhere near the level of flying a fighter jet :P

Commanding drive from Maxie McMadface. :gtpflag:

L17Rfts.jpg

Dud of the day for Daniel!

edit.

And he signed himself for another couple of years of that miserable engine. :lol:
The main team has not had these issues.
What is so different in the design of red bulls power unit and the manufactures team power unit

It turns out Daniel suffered clutch failure rather than hydraulic or engine failure. And Red Bull designs its own bespoke clutch.

The clutch is considered fragile, as Max ruined his on Saturday when covering from a spin. It is considered "proven" by the expert in the video that Daniel did not suffer from a fault in the clutch, but that Daniel ruined it with too much wheel spin at the start. Go figure.

Because if you're piloting a jet and lose connection to the base, not remembering something important means a high chance of dying.

If F1 drivers' lifes depended on their hability to memorize everything, they would probably do it. But what's the worse it can happen? Pull over to the side and get out of the car, get a ride from a scooter and go back to the pit.

Last edited:
Because if you're piloting a jet and lose connection to the base, not remembering something important means a high chance of dying.

If F1 drivers' lifes depended on their hability to memorize everything, they would probably do it. But what's the worse it can happen? Pull over to the side and get out of the car, get a ride from a scooter and go back to the pit.
I agree with what you’ve said here. What I’m trying to counter is the arguement that F1 cars are SO complicated that it is impossible for F1 drivers to learn all the systems. That idea is nonsense, only perpetuated by talking heads like Ted Kravitz and media pundets who have a vested interest in making F1 seems as extreme as they possibly can.

Are F1 cars complex? Absolutely! Are they so complex that it’s impossible for a human driver to learn all the systems? No.

Back