Gran Turismo 7: One Year Later...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 219 comments
The only thing that worries me is driving well at these speeds and not making driving mistakes that ruin my races. The rest is not up to me, it's up to Polyphony Digital, and they do everything wonderfully well

I am liking the additions so far.

Hoping for higher payouts especially in Custom Races. That feature is my favorite.

gachauchi-png.1216367

It will be 1 year soon so we can say that it isn't possible to "avoid a situation where a player must mechanically keep replaying certain events over and over again" 🙃

A year later eh? Hmmm, let's see...

Sure, gamplay is good, great, so does the customization. (love doing the GT1 and GT2 racing modifications on GT7) But everything else? Absolute crap as hell.

Always online, crappy payouts, total grindfest which is hell, café mode is simply the career mode, not enough championships, etc....

It truly had potential to be good, but due to stupid and questionable decisions, to me, GT7 is by far the worst GT game ever. And what's worse? They won't do anything to improve the game at all.

So in summary, a year later, nothing changed. Still the worst GT game in existence.

Yeah, I haven't seen much improvement. It's not like they addressed the main issues with the game, like the lack of a proper campaign, the grindiness of the game, the terrible AI and the "chase the rabbit" type races, and so on.

It has potential to be much better, and that should be the aim for PD, to make this game as good as it could be.

How about they fix suspension and gearing to affect PP again? Online is the most unstable of all my racing games. Single player could get so much more championships and events. The current AI is a total joke. Multiplayer bugs still there after a year of being known, wow. Payouts are low, online is lower than low. FFB is lacking, they have the data (like usable in Simhub) but they don't use it well on wheels.

Yeah, hopefully in 2023 the game will get better but I'd be surprised if we get anything except maybe Sophie, but I doubt she'll replace the current AI in all modes, way too much work for PD.

VR has made me love the game again. Also, I have never once done any of the three or four grind events people always talk about here. If a car costs twenty million credits, then it may as well not exist to me.

I do admit to exploiting the Tomahawk a few times back when it was a thing. That got me my library of Gr3 cars.

I do believe the game has a good foundation with cars, tracks, graphics, etc., & can be improved more easly than other.

From day one each track should have had a healthy number of events, a year out this is probably the biggest disappointment that only a events has been added here and there.

The thing that's been puzzling with GT, since especially the last few installments of the numbered series is that they go through all the effort to create content and then put the least effort into creating events, event creation in effort should not be anywhere near modeling cars & tracks, PD should have some type of in house custom race tool that could set the event perimeters quickly, and the matter of creating thumbnails shouldn't take very long.

It should be possible that a majority of the cars in your garage that you pick, that no matter what track you go to there will be a event to participate in. Things like Sunday Cup, Clubman Cup, FF, FR, MR, etc., should not be peppered around, but should be at every track.

I know these games have moved more towards sandbox, but games where more challenging trying to unlock levels of the game or trying to figure out a event to win a car as a prize.

I would bring back manufacture races and a separate section on the world map for endurance races.

Invitation for cars should not be locked away as some random daily prize, but be a say 1 in 5 random prize given out lets say at a one hour Ferrari event, so there would be some difficulty but it would be on the player terms.
Edit: In the manufacture events, this would be where you add events with manufactures to have the chance to win invitation for Brand Central, it maybe a long event of held through a series of races in a champion.

To keep the game alive bring back Seasonal Events or create some type of second season that goes from level 50-100 with some unique prize that can only be obtained at level 100, maybe it something like the special version of SR11 in GT1, but some type of beta track.

Last edited:
I have been playing GT games since GT1, and have bought the last two Playstation consoles mainly to play GT Sport, and now, GT7. So I have been committed to GT for many years. I was disappointed with GT Sport as I hadn't realised the focus of the game was so much towards online racing. I think there were a lot of people in a similar mindset, judging from the backlash at the time to there being so little content. And to give PD credit, they added a lot of content post release, for longer than I expected. Considering I don't play online, I played it for longer than I expected in the beginning. I really enjoyed the livery editor, which I used a lot.

Now GT7, for me, it is the most disappointing Gran Turismo game, and that includes GT Sport. Being a numbered GT game, coming after the content light, at least initially, GT Sport, I hoped and expected a return to the depth, and game design, of previous games, and GT7 is just not it. I haven't been playing GT7 for the whole year, as I had difficulty obtaining a PS5, and I didn't want to experience the lower version of the game on the PS4.

There is little depth for the offline player. It would be so easy to add more content in updates every month, to broaden the game, and to encourage the use of a lot of different cars, with more championships. The Menu system, which started well, has fizzled out. Whilst I was very happy with the updates for GT Sport, maybe planned or not, the updates for GT7 have been poor by comparison for me. There seemed to be more cars each month, greatly increasing the number, and variety, of cars. As with GT Sport added cars though, if they add a niche car, at least add two for the option of more than a one make race with that niche car.

The Livery Editor, whilst very similar to GT Sport, has suffered from seemingly not having as much user decals as GT Sport. And trying to search for decals has been messed up in game, and online, from the start, and after a year, I doubt it will be fixed at this point. Because of the way the content, and functionality of the Livery Editor has been transferred to GT7, and the less user content availability, I have hardly used it in comparison to GT Sport.

GT Sophy is interesting, but limited atm. It still seems like 'scripted' races, with the same cars finishing in pretty much the same positions like the regular AI races. I have no interest in VR, especially with a peripheral that costs more than the console itself. This sadly, may have been the aim for a lot of the design and planning of the cars in GT Sport and GT7, judging by the detail put into the car interiors, which can't be appreciated outside of VR. Not sure that was good use of time and resources for the majority of users, regardless of how impressive it all seems to be in VR.

I would normally be playing past GT games constantly for over a year, and then playing for many years, but GT7 now holds little interest for me, and it's been this way since Christmas, and I only got GT7 in May last year. :indiff: So for me, the worst GT game ever so far. I hope for a change of direction and emphasis going forward, but I doubt it. I shall install the updates in hope, but little expectatation going forward. PD seem to have settled on the type of game they want this to be.

Most of this relates to Sport mode, but there are certainly many comments about the general single player experience (which, as most probably did, finish in double quick time)…

Tremendous quality of production and Dynamic weather/changes in time of day etc... excellent
Weekly races are often boring, repetitive and rather lacklustre, in my opinion
Why are we most often on RH tyres? Just one of the many PD obsessions or are they too lazy to provide good variety?
We need more daily race variety... at least 5 dailies per week please PD
To be frank, most of the Race A content is a waste of time and space (no disrespect to any of you out there who love them - I just don't)
Rolling start gap has improved but could be closer - like the distances/gaps of a grid start?
BoP has been terrible – I think it’s slightly better, but still needs major improvement to engage a greater variety of cars
Penalty system can be very punitive (and certainly not deserved when you did nothing wrong) to the point that there’s no point in continuing with the race
Crash physics… (don’t know what else to call it) cars ending up at 90deg to barriers/walls… someone at PD is a sadist :banghead:
And as for circuits – great to have a new circuit added but why oh why is there this obsession with tight/hairpin corners that just invite chaos, confusion, downright stupidity and deliberate bad driving. Grand Valley is just shocking. Depending on how you count the 'nasty tight' corners, it’s anywhere between 8 and 11 of 17. Is this a Japanese thing – Autopolis??
Roulette is seriously pathetic and not even worth bothering with :confused:
Where is the content for single-player? Previous versions, like GT5 (I think… so long ago now) had huge content... Great circuits, loads of cars, which were probably more up-to-date then too ;-)
And last but not least, why are the ‘race cars’ so out of date? The Porsche GT3.., Nissan GT-R.., Ferrari 458 etc, etc. I would rather have fewer up-to-date GT cars than a whole load of seriously out-of-date ones.

GT7 has the potential to be seriously awesome. But, it would appear that they may just be more interested in the sales revenue these days... or have they just sat on their laurels? If they had replicated and updated GT5 with all the new tech capability available today, together with a proper fully functional Sport mode.... how awesome would that be. :cheers:

Last edited:
I, like most people commented here feels the same. The game was great for a few months but it got stale.

From technical side, this game is amazing. Sure the lobbies are still a mess (at least on my end, never successfully got into a single lobby other than Sport Mode) but the graphics, sounds and physics are quite well done and probably the best one in the series. The attention to detail is quite insane too. The VR seems to be quite successful as a lot of people are praising it (I personally not that interested in it but it's cool that people are enjoying it).

Now from career progression, economy and some of PD design choices, it's still a huge mess IMO :
-There are still only 4 high paying races since last year and most races aren't varied enough that some cars don't have events to use.
-The Legendary Car rotation is so screwed that few cars hasn't cycled back to the dealership.
-The absolute terrible roulette system, brand invitation, how hard it is to get new engines (most probably we wouldn't ever get in this lifetime lol). The bonanza and Tomahawk glitch for the most part were the most fun times I and some other people had back then 😂
-The increasing of the cars value while new races still pays so low.
-Custom races rewards not paying enough.
-Updates still feels a bit dripfed IMO but at least a bit better than the 1st few months.

I played this game everyday up until around November. December onwards I only play for a bit after each update drops. Honestly I'm just disappointed because this game is what made me get a PS4 in the 1st place, I guess I expected too much. Photomode is still fun though but I miss the old career mode. On the other hand, I'm kinda glad that other people that never played GT before are starting to like the game, especially after the VR update drops. I don't think I would buy another GT after this unless they fixed the problems in this one.

Still, happy 1st anniversary Gran Turismo 7.
Finger crossed that they fix all those problems in the next 2 years of free DLC's until the support slow down in 2025

The only SuperGT car that is enabled in the GT3/Gr.3 class is the Subaru BRZ GT300, which is a GT300 car which shares the same FIA regulations as a GT3 car in real life.

Educate yourself my guy, before you make yourself look the opposite.
The person you quoted was specifically talking about GT500 class cars, not the GT300 class.

Learn to read my guy, before you make yourself look "the opposite".

The game feels so sophisticated yet also so shallow. It's odd.

I don't hate it at all, I've had lots of fun with it... But some more time in the oven was definitely needed (and of course some better design choices)

Genuinely never felt so conflicted over a game before though. It's like I forget about all the bad things when I'm on the track in this game, it's so much fun every time.

Last edited:
I want to see more high paying events on more tracks the 4 got is fun but we need those on more tracks, hopefully some more will be added soon, would like more championchips as well, and the option to access excusive parts a big easier, that would really transform the game from good to outstanding

GT7 is so close to greatness, but keeps holding itself back with dumb, easily fixable problems. Ex: lack of endurance races, poor AI, lack of camera settings such as fov, bad economy, not being able to make certain parts of your car carbon fiber, poor lobbies, no god damn nissan skyline group a cars, etc. Anyway it's about an 8.5/10

Given how the past year has gone, to be honest I have a hard time not feeling like the game should be just releasing now. I have still enjoyed my time with the game this passed year though, strange and unnecessary design and function exemptions and all. 😅

I can't help but feel that these next couple updates will be quite telling as to if they  actually are going to improve the game's problems or not.
I would agree with you, but I honestly don't know what I would have done without gt7 this past year😅

Last edited:
A year later and all the real issues at launch remain.

The best part of GT is, and has always been, the feel of driving. The second best part is experiencing the different cars. With GT7, they focused on you buying cars and forgot to actually give that a reason beyond itself. Just look at the menu books. 'Go buy a car -> get a prize'...that's not even a game.

For Sport Mode players, you don't even need to own a single car, because they are given to you. In fact, for the friendly race, ownership is actually a waste because if you have a widebody, the car is invalidated (Although wings are ok for some reason)

And for those saying this is Better than GT Sport because they are more focused on the single player, GT Sport had a demonstrably better single player mode.

IMHO, they set the bar the highest with GT5 and they've been reductive ever since.

Great physics, graphics, sound and content. All the ingredients for a near perfect GT title are there, especially if Sophy AI gets implemented fully. However, PD has failed to tie all this into a rewarding campaign and logical game. Exact same problem as when it released last year. It has only grown bigger, but not better.

Great first year for the stakeholders of this project. For all of us fans, loyal franchise devotees and actual customers of this games stay happy with your "keeping-you-poor" drip feeding mentality by this company.

Looking forward to whatever Forza Motorsports brings to the table and other projects like Apex Point.

The first month was good, then with the small updates due the "live service" approach make it feel boring, but from november onwards the game seems to have taken a second breath and I am enjoying it even more that at launch 😊😊😊

I find it still just as frustrating as it was 1 week after launch. It has GREAT feeling driving and graphics, but for a single player game it still has the whole "is that it" feeling for me.

I thought this latest update would have kept me going for a while longer, but unfortunately I got bored again after 2 days.

If the core issues are still not fixed 12 months on, then I have lost all hope that they ever will be.

I agree with all that say that the potential is there, and it is, but un-realised potential is useless in a game like this with developers like PD. All it does is create frustration. It is a real shame, and 12 months on GT7 remains the biggest gaming let down in many, many years (for me).

As much as i loved coming back to this series, the career mode was so boring and rushed that within two weeks i completed it. The constant drip feeding was annoying. But at heart it does feel like an old GT in my eyes. Just the career mode needs so much work for the next installment

One year later and we have gotten only chance to purchase the Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peaks only once from Hagerty's, that's some BS. LOL.
Only once? I’ve seen it in my legendaries at least twice for sure maybe even three times but then that would be typical because I don’t want the thing anyway 🤔😳😂

Back