Gran Turismo 7 Physics

Do you want more detailed and realistic physics on the next GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I been playing GT3 on my PS2 emulator with a calibrated T300 RS plus FFB enabled ... I'm not missing much from the GT7 physics ... it's surprisingly similar as I suspected.

Face it, Sony will never allow a GT product to be too realistic if it makes the game less accessible ... there is a market for people who play iRacer etc but this is a fraction of the demographic who sit around driving bright coloured Konigseggs and Lambos on NFS and GTA ...

Maybe my impression of GT7 physics being way ahead of the pre Sport ones ifs only due to the Dualsense being that much better.

I have always used the right stick for throttle and brake. Now I use the triggers and they feel really great.

When racing some relatively high powered cars like Gr.3s without traction control or other assists I was able to have quite nuanced inputs to get relatively close to the limit. Was never able to do the same in the older games.

Last edited:
The controller physics is solid. Easily the best i’ve played.

The wheels. Not so much. Sony (pd) needs to spend some time with wheel companies, and their sdk’s, and allow the wheels to do what other games prove they can.
…or at least get to the point where the fanatec ‘ambassadors’ aren’t boycotting using a wheel with gt7. See the fanatec dd pro thread in all of its 26 pages of disappointment.

CS would be something like a Pilot Sport 4/5 and equivalent from other manufacturers (think GoodYear F1 or Dunlop Sport) CM would be regular economy road tyres, and CH are mostly used to "simulate" 60s and 70s tyres technology, or crappy modern Chinese tyres I guess.
The sport tyres you have them pretty right.
Imho stock SH tyres make 0 sense whatsoever on any road car, because I can't think of any road car that comes with semi slicks, this is why I usually downgrade them to CS if my purpose is to drive them 100% stock.
SH and above need suspension tuning I think, they're too grippy for the stock suspension on most road cars.
Sports hards are the all weather tires most cars come with, hence why they are so good in the wet.

Sports mediums are the Toyo Proxy T1 or Yoko mid level tires.

SS is the PZero P1 cup tires and high end pilot sport cup or yokos.

The tire choice and physics are a bit busted as we all know because the 911 gt3 rs doesn't come on SH tires and the whole Maserati MC20 on SH for the time trial.

These are not the performance tires fitted to these cars.

Sure you can opt for the fast road all weather versions but these are cars that come on road going race/track day tires with the equivalent life span.

All the C level tires are period or budget level remould spec radial tires.

For some reason and it might be the lack of the sense of speed but tires are generally better in the real world than the GT ones.

But tires are hard to model even F1 doesn't get it right.

Finally there is snow on the IRL roads and I had to get around in my IRL Miata. So had fun as usual doing the typical drifty things at incredibly low speed but with fantastic control and ease.

Get home > Lake Louise > RX8.

Terrible. Terrible Terrible Terrible. Unless there's something fundamentally different between the studded snow tires in the game and the IRL snow tires I have on my car, GT7 is just really off with how it models how and what happens when the rear tires break loose under power.

Best way to summarize GT7 is > lots of effort to break the rear loose > once loose the rear end doesn't move laterally easily or progressively at all > try harder > whoa there it goes really snappy > can't really maintain the drift, ON SNOW, wtf > car is losing momentum now... momentum is not a requirement when drifting under power in the snow, wtf > snap back tankslapper.. ON SNOW wtf.

Yeah, crap. Sorry. Crap.

Last edited:
Finally there is snow on the IRL roads and I had to get around in my IRL Miata. So had fun as usual doing the typical drifty things at incredibly low speed but with fantastic control and ease.

Get home > Lake Louise > RX8.

Terrible. Terrible Terrible Terrible. Unless there's something fundamentally different between the studded snow tires in the game and the IRL snow tires I have on my car, GT7 is just really off with how it models how and what happens when the rear tires break loose under power.

Best way to summarize GT7 is > lots of effort to break the rear loose > once loose the rear end doesn't move laterally easily or progressively at all > try harder > whoa there it goes really snappy > can't really maintain the drift, ON SNOW, wtf > car is losing momentum now... momentum is not a requirement when drifting under power in the snow, wtf > snap back tankslapper.. ON SNOW wtf.

Yeah, crap. Sorry. Crap.
The snow tires present on GT7, are high performance spiked rally tires, for that they have so much grip compared to the classic winter road tires, is like comparing a road tire with a slick racing tire.

I can live with this answer if true.

Intuitively I still would've expected more progressiveness with how it loses and regains grip, as well as ease of maintaining the slide under power (without the car losing momentum and regaining grip again abruptly).

Last edited:
Have you ever drove in the same conditions as the game ? I mean, on a snow track, with specific packed snow, with ice tires, and a car at max of its capacity ? I bet the answer is no.

So how could you compare ?

I feel you've misunderstood me. I dont purposefully try and slide the car around... but if the rears do break its nice to stand half a chance to catch the bloody thing.
GT Sport gave you that chance you could feel the steering go light and act on it. But GT7 seems to be going for even more realism... and as such it's asking me to act on sensations that are simply not there in a racing game, the feeling a car gives you way before the wheel goes light... because in GT7 by the time you feel the wheel go light you've already lost control.

I would spend hour upon hours just doing time trials on GT Sport and learning where the limit is on each car and then working my way up to no assists.

But GT7 seems to be all over the place for me, I've now got TCS on all the time which like I said kills the feedback even more, if I'm in something RWD or powerful then I'm even putting on Stability control which once again kills the feedback and fun even more... not to mention something is definitely going wrong as the Stability control warning symbol is flashing constantly, even in a straight line while at speed. Not to mentioned the rears of every car is twitching to oversteer, every single time, whether I'm on full throttle, feathering the throttle, or free wheeling around a corner at a car park speed. The whole physic model seems completely out of whack.

Which as you can imagine is frustrating to the point where I'm already viewing the game as a chore instead of hour of fun like GT Sport... especially as I dropped money for the 25th anniversary edition thinking I'd definitely be getting my moneys worth from it. But if 90% of the cars are undrivable I've essentially wasted money.
GT5, GT6, and GT Sport were definitely more fun compared to GT7. You said exactly what I said to myself today: GT7 is a chore to play. I've had a few nice races in career mode, but I've found more frustration than anything. The game is plain difficult.

Sports hards are the all weather tires most cars come with, hence why they are so good in the wet.

Sports mediums are the Toyo Proxy T1 or Yoko mid level tires.

SS is the PZero P1 cup tires and high end pilot sport cup or yokos.

The tire choice and physics are a bit busted as we all know because the 911 gt3 rs doesn't come on SH tires and the whole Maserati MC20 on SH for the time trial.

These are not the performance tires fitted to these cars.

Sure you can opt for the fast road all weather versions but these are cars that come on road going race/track day tires with the equivalent life span.

All the C level tires are period or budget level remould spec radial tires.

For some reason and it might be the lack of the sense of speed but tires are generally better in the real world than the GT ones.

But tires are hard to model even F1 doesn't get it right.
This is purely guesswork on my part but taking into account PD's track record and the tuning others have done to try to get some cars to behave more realistically (in past games for example)

I beleive PD does know what they're doing. the physics guys tune all the cars with the correct tyres in mind then when another deve team puts the cars into the game , they put SH or worse tyres right? Putting SH tyres on a Porsche that requires SS.. isn't ideal But I think for the sake of optimisation and game design, #Racing car comes with Racing tyres as expected but #Road car comes with maximum of SH tyres, like in older games where you'd never get a car equipped with SS tyres from the dealership.

this could also just be due to the sheer volume of cars in GT7 it's easier for the game design team to just equip most with SH tyres rather than figure out which needs to come with SS tyres, but who knows. At least you can pay $4k and get the right tyres.. maybe that's the idea, pay to play

I can live with this answer if true.

Intuitively I still would've expected more progressiveness with how it loses and regains grip, as well as ease of maintaining the slide under power (without the car losing momentum and regaining grip again abruptly).
I honestly believe the tyre model is still incomplete. Looking at the last big physics update it did change how MR and RR cars behaved, for the better, it appears there was a change in tyre model. Just wait for another change in 6-9 months, I'm sure a slightly better feel will come from those same tyres, it's way too arcady at present. Gt has never been great at dirt/snow but you're right on the money that it shouldn't feel so bizzare to drive.

Hell in GT Sport, I remember the track grip varying wildly depending on if you were driving on tsukuba or monza or Laguna SECA, each track in that game forced me to retune my car setup for that track. So Fixed track grip levels were a thing in GT Sport, wouldn't be surprised if that's also how they do in GT7, which all they'd need to do is change the grip/friction etc values for the snow tracks.

It is interesting to me how the game won't even let you use road tyres on snow tracks or snow tyres on roads.. maybe that's a deliberate boundary so people wouldn't find out the physics of doing that combination don't make too much sense, it's not going to give a realistic feeling. It's also interesting to note in GT7 not one Dirt/Snow track has mixed surfaces, there's no "asphalt section" on these tracks whereas IRL there's MANY tracks with mixed surfaces. Perhaps that's because again, the tyre model is incomplete and using the dirt/snow tyres on tarmac/asphalt would expose it. It is just easier for the devs to work when they know a snow tire will NEVER be used on anything but the appropriate surface. but if that's not the case then the devs have to spend a lot more time to get the tyre physics correct for all tires across all surface types rather than modelling the tyres based on the one or two surface types that particular tyre should appear to be realistic on, the use case. I wonder if anyone has found a GT7 secret menu and tried snow tyres on tarmac and vice versa, could be interesting to see what happens.

in GT4 i remember there was a track in GT4 that had both gravel and asphalt in the one "dirt" track, that has yet to be seen in GT7, I hope something like that comes in a future update, just for the realism.

Last edited:
This is purely guesswork on my part but taking into account PD's track record and the tuning others have done to try to get some cars to behave more realistically (in past games for example)

I beleive PD does know what they're doing. the physics guys tune all the cars with the correct tyres in mind then when another deve team puts the cars into the game , they put SH or worse tyres right? Putting SH tyres on a Porsche that requires SS.. isn't ideal But I think for the sake of optimisation and game design, #Racing car comes with Racing tyres as expected but #Road car comes with maximum of SH tyres, like in older games where you'd never get a car equipped with SS tyres from the dealership.

this could also just be due to the sheer volume of cars in GT7 it's easier for the game design team to just equip most with SH tyres rather than figure out which needs to come with SS tyres, but who knows. At least you can pay $4k and get the right tyres.. maybe that's the idea, pay to play

I honestly believe the tyre model is still incomplete. Looking at the last big physics update it did change how MR and RR cars behaved, for the better, it appears there was a change in tyre model. Just wait for another change in 6-9 months, I'm sure a slightly better feel will come from those same tyres, it's way too arcady at present. Gt has never been great at dirt/snow but you're right on the money that it shouldn't feel so bizzare to drive.

Hell in GT Sport, I remember the track grip varying wildly depending on if you were driving on tsukuba or monza or Laguna SECA, each track in that game forced me to retune my car setup for that track. So Fixed track grip levels were a thing in GT Sport, wouldn't be surprised if that's also how they do in GT7, which all they'd need to do is change the grip/friction etc values for the snow tracks.

It is interesting to me how the game won't even let you use road tyres on snow tracks or snow tyres on roads.. maybe that's a deliberate boundary so people wouldn't find out the physics of doing that combination don't make too much sense, it's not going to give a realistic feeling. It's also interesting to note in GT7 not one Dirt/Snow track has mixed surfaces, there's no "asphalt section" on these tracks whereas IRL there's MANY tracks with mixed surfaces. Perhaps that's because again, the tyre model is incomplete and using the dirt/snow tyres on tarmac/asphalt would expose it. It is just easier for the devs to work when they know a snow tire will NEVER be used on anything but the appropriate surface. but if that's not the case then the devs have to spend a lot more time to get the tyre physics correct for all tires across all surface types rather than modelling the tyres based on the one or two surface types that particular tyre should appear to be realistic on, the use case. I wonder if anyone has found a GT7 secret menu and tried snow tyres on tarmac and vice versa, could be interesting to see what happens.

in GT4 i remember there was a track in GT4 that had both gravel and asphalt in the one "dirt" track, that has yet to be seen in GT7, I hope something like that comes in a future update, just for the realism.

An awful lot of guesswork yes - rendered entirely wrong because Catalunya Rallycross exists with mixed surfaces.

An awful lot of guesswork yes - rendered entirely wrong because Catalunya Rallycross exists with mixed surfaces.
This doesn't include Snow tires by any chance? No.

It's certainly upto anyone what speculation they'll entertain. Where. Never heard or played on that track, even after putting in 400 hours into GT7. Can't find the track, appears I have not unlocked it. Which level do you have to be to unlock this "unique" one-off specimen?

Edit where

My point remains. Can't use X tyres on X track. Can't use Dirt tyres on mixed surfaces.. oh wait... Except the one track you can, which is not accessible easily or early on in the game. Why lock it away if it's such a good combination? It's probably not all that fun to play, Anywho. I've played on every other surface in the game...Just checked the multiplayer lobby, not one is open on that track. Not one, in fact I've never seen it. Your dissent doesn't really change my mind that it's even a good combination, lol

Last edited:
This doesn't include Snow tires by any chance? No.

It's certainly upto anyone what speculation they'll entertain. Where. Never heard or played on that track, even after putting in 400 hours into GT7. Can't find the track, appears I have not unlocked it. Which level do you have to be to unlock this "unique" one-off specimen?

Edit where

My point remains. Can't use X tyres on X track. Can't use Dirt tyres on mixed surfaces.. oh wait... Except the one track you can, which is not accessible easily or early on in the game. Why lock it away if it's such a good combination? It's probably not all that fun to play, Anywho. I've played on every other surface in the game...Just checked the multiplayer lobby, not one is open on that track. Not one, in fact I've never seen it. Your dissent doesn't really change my mind that it's even a good combination, lol
It's just a Catalunya layout lad it's not hard to unlock nor does it need a cryptic essay as a response

It's just a Catalunya layout lad it's not hard to unlock nor does it need a cryptic essay as a response

You're dodging the question now. I've played 400 hours and have yet to unlock it. Get specific. How did you unlock it? Just answer the question

edit: If anyone has enjoyed this apparently good track combo, now's the time to chime in

Last edited:
You're dodging the question now. I've played 400 hours and have yet to unlock it. Get specific. How did you unlock it? Just answer the question

edit: If anyone has enjoyed this apparently good track combo, now's the time to chime in
I’m not going to spend much time researching but the layout in question was added to the game in update 1.20. Not sure why you can’t access it but I’m sure you can figure that out.

1703300930972.png

Last edited:
The dreadded Cafe menu grinds it is. Weirdly the track is listed in multiplayer, but even going so far as to create your own server, the track is nonexistant nor in single player. Arse

Last edited:
Kinda weird that you've managed to play 400 hours without doing the most basic progression milestones in the game, then complaining to others that you can't access stuff everybody else has.

There's a lot of stuff to do from livery making to car collecting and upgrading, Cafe menus never interested me. It got boring quick having your hand held when you already know what you want from the game. "put a wing on a mini" or some bs. No thank you. Circuit experience pays out plenty you can avoid doing the terrible cafes after unlocking racing parts

Last edited:
There's a lot of stuff to do from livery making to car collecting and upgrading, Cafe menus never interested me. It got boring quick having your hand held when you already know what you want from the game. "put a wing on a mini" or some bs. No thank you. Circuit experience pays out plenty you can avoid doing the terrible cafes after unlocking racing parts
If you did more cafe menus you’d unlock more tracks to do more Circuit Experiences for more payouts, additionally the farther you get in cafe menus you unlock more missions that also have a nice payout.

But since putting a wing on a mini is too much if a chore for you, I’d suggest you don’t turn in your PS at all and rather go outside and touch some grass.

If you did more cafe menus you’d unlock more tracks to do more Circuit Experiences for more payouts, additionally the farther you get in cafe menus you unlock more missions that also have a nice payout.

But since putting a wing on a mini is too much if a chore for you, I’d suggest you don’t turn in your PS at all and rather go outside and touch some grass.

You've got the wrong idea. The game's a chore. 10 million dollar cars galore. Grind simulator. Why waste time on crappy game design. Cafes are just a replacement for good game design of GT2 and GT4. It's actually terrible hand holding that caters to the lowest common denominator

Last edited:
You've got the wrong idea. The game's a chore. 10 million dollar cars galore. Grind simulator. Why waste time on crappy game design. Cafes are just a replacement for good game design of GT2 and GT4. It's actually terrible hand holding that caters to the lowest common denominator
Seems like you’ve wasted all your time already… 400 hours of it…

Be less of a chore if you just unlocked everything in the cafe menus because you’d unlock tracks with higher paying repeatable races like LeMans or Spa etc.
Which you haven’t done in 400 wasted hours weirdly.

But you aren’t looking for advice or help anyway, seems like you know all the answers already and just looking to vent out about a video game, again maybe go touch some grass

Seems like you’ve wasted all your time already… 400 hours of it…

Be less of a chore if you just unlocked everything in the cafe menus because you’d unlock tracks with higher paying repeatable races like LeMans or Spa etc.
Which you haven’t done in 400 wasted hours weirdly.

But you aren’t looking for advice or help anyway, seems like you know all the answers already and just looking to vent out about a video game, again maybe go touch some grass

You do realize I can critique a game whilst still finding some parts of it enjoyable right? Does a game have to be worshipped only? No.
I know what I want from the game, that's how I put 400 hours into it. It's dead simple but you keep missing that people have their own preferences.

"But you aren’t looking for advice or help anyway"

How would you know what I am looking for? And it's hilarious to me you 100% think you know what some random person is thinking or saying from some internet comments. Are you some kind of Mind reader? "go touch grass", yourself. Such a Bigot. Keep the childish trolling to reddit if you can

Last edited:
You do realize I can critique a game whilst still finding some parts of it enjoyable right? Does a game have to be worshipped only? No.
I know what I want from the game, that's how I put 400 hours into it. It's dead simple but you keep missing that people have their own preferences.
You do realise your critique has been given a solution path that you’re choosing not to take and then you’re still complaining and injecting new points such as the “worship” line to distract from you being silly.

Yeah people have their preferences and you’re completely dismissing those who have preferences different to your own, such as the rallycross one, I like it and enjoy btw

Last edited:
"But you aren’t looking for advice or help anyway"

How would you know? And it's hilarious to me you 100% think you know what someone else is thinking or saying from some internet comments. Are you some kind of Mind reader? "go touch grass", yourself
By reading your posts that’s how, it’s clear you’re having a breakdown while at it

Last edited:
By reading your posts that’s how, it’s clear you’re having a breakdown while at it
Bigot. Having a breakdown? No. Honestly seems like you're the one all heated up cause I said one thing about your rallycross, you're so mad about it. LOL
Yeah people have their preferences and you’re completely dismissing those who have preferences different to your own, such as the rallycross one, I like it and enjoy btw
Who's being dismissed? Talking out your arse

Last edited:
Bigot. Having a breakdown? No. Honestly seems like you're the one all heated up cause I said one thing about your rallycross, you're so mad about it. LOL
So much for this then
but you keep missing that people have their own preferences.
As soon as someone has a preference different to yours you have a breakdown and call me a bigot, hypocrisy at its finest.

Honestly mate you should step away from the computer/mobile and take a walk outside because you’re looking silly right now

Last edited:
Back