Gran Turismo Sophy: Sony AI x Polyphony Digital

• Thread starter Magog
  • 1,675 comments
Anyone who has any hope for sophy improving GT7 is an abject utter fool.

Mark my words. Revisit in five years. I’ll be right.
abject utter fool is a little bit harsh. They probably won't be added in any meaningful way but its okay. If they do that's okay too.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 Could Get a Big AI Upgrade “Before the End of the Year”

“Gran Turismo Sophy”, the next-generation artificial intelligence system developed by a collaboration between Sony AI and Polyphony Digital, could arrive in Gran Turismo 7 before the end of the year...[/COi.hp

I really hope GT Sophy is a success, for Fuchs' sake.
I hope so to
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo Sophy AI Development Detailed in New Video Series

Sony AI has published a new video which will be the first in a series detailing the development process and people behind the machine-learning Gran Turismo Sophy AI driver...
You need to get rid of the bop and just let us use the tunes on our cars then we can see 8f we can beat them

You need to get rid of the bop and just let us use the tunes on our cars then we can see 8f we can beat them
Confused High Quality GIF

This thread is about Gran Turismo Sophy, not GT7 BOP. Not only that, I don't have anything to do with BOP, or indeed Gran Turismo 7 - and it's super-odd this is the second time in three posts you've quoted me and demanded I do something about Sport Mode...

They really should have used some of those resources on the current AI in the game. I'm all for research and innovation but it looks bad when your existing product sucks and you don't do anything about it then do all of this Sophie stuff in a related but not helpful way.
PD and Sony AI are not related other than the "parent" being Sony. PD doesnt have the same capabilities in creating AI specifically as Sony AI has (it is in the name already). But it is not unreasonable to hope Sophy becomes default in upcoming racing games (that way Sony could create profit of some kind from all spendings on Sony AI).

It's a live action shot of Autódromo Velocitta, here in Brazil. In some ways that's similar to GT6's Ascari Race Resort. I'm pretty sure it's not coming to the game.
this is not velocitta. it was recorded in Autodromo Capuava

PD and Sony AI are not related other than the "parent" being Sony. PD doesnt have the same capabilities in creating AI specifically as Sony AI has (it is in the name already). But it is not unreasonable to hope Sophy becomes default in upcoming racing games (that way Sony could create profit of some kind from all spendings on Sony AI).
I understand that. I'm just saying the people from Polyphony that were working on Sophie woth Sony maybe should have spent more time with GT7. The AI in the game is a step backwards from previous versions.

I understand that. I'm just saying the people from Polyphony that were working on Sophie woth Sony maybe should have spent more time with GT7. The AI in the game is a step backwards from previous versions.
I think this is looking back with rose tinted glasses a bit mate. The GT franchise has had godawful AI for as long as I can remember.

I'll give GT1 and GT2 a pass as they were literally on PS1, but 3 was only competitive because it had insane rubberbanding. GT4 had AI that followed one line and would actively punt you out the way because they couldn't detect the player. I don't remember GT5 but I doubt it's dissimilar to GT6, which had AI that would brake 150m before the braking point and actively let the player win because of the reverse rubberbanding (I remember @Samus doing a writeup/experiment regarding this, actually!).

GT Sport I'm pretty sure was the exact same as GT6, I remember the same braking issues making the career a joke. Whilst GT7 does certainly have abhorrent AI, it is marginally better than what previous entries offer, if not simply due to the fact they actually mostly brake where they should. They're probably slightly better than GT4 AI, which is what I think the peak is (in terms of competitiveness at least) - but of course that peak is more like a mound in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
Because who's to say Sophy's use won't be expanded after the missions, it would be cool if it can eventually be used to fill empty slots in Sport Mode, which there tend to be many of. A+ average lobbies could be Sophy at 95%, A 90%, B 82.5%, C 72.5%, D 60% or something.

I think this is looking back with rose tinted glasses a bit mate. The GT franchise has had godawful AI for as long as I can remember.

I'll give GT1 and GT2 a pass as they were literally on PS1, but 3 was only competitive because it had insane rubberbanding. GT4 had AI that followed one line and would actively punt you out the way because they couldn't detect the player. I don't remember GT5 but I doubt it's dissimilar to GT6, which had AI that would brake 150m before the braking point and actively let the player win because of the reverse rubberbanding (I remember @Samus doing a writeup/experiment regarding this, actually!).

GT Sport I'm pretty sure was the exact same as GT6, I remember the same braking issues making the career a joke. Whilst GT7 does certainly have abhorrent AI, it is marginally better than what previous entries offer, if not simply due to the fact they actually mostly brake where they should. They're probably slightly better than GT4 AI, which is what I think the peak is (in terms of competitiveness at least) - but of course that peak is more like a mound in the grand scheme of things.
I never had AI cars run me off the road in other versions. Did you? Like on a straight away? Did they brake check on the apex? I would rather go back to rubber banding than have to worry about avoiding the AI and not actually racing them.

They’ve put a lot of time, energy, money and recourses on this working. It better be worth it.
AI development is a lot bigger than just Gran Turismo. Right now I’d be happy with a single AI that can race bumper-to-bumper in a human like manner. They’ll probably start with Missions. But it would be cool to be able to select any car/track combo.

I never had AI cars run me off the road in other versions. Did you? Like on a straight away? Did they brake check on the apex? I would rather go back to rubber banding than have to worry about avoiding the AI and not actually racing them.
Yes mate, it's been the same since GT4. I'm not defending GT7s AI, it sucks - I'm saying its always been this bad.

First 30 seconds of this video shows the silver BMW pulling across into me and pushing me across the track, then at turn 1 the black BMW dives to the inside and leaves me nowhere to go but off the track.

Here's a video of GT5, where the F1 clearly slows down on the apex and then pit manouvers the guy driving.

Here's a video of GT6 where the guy just gets punted off the track. I'm not going to bother with any more, you get the point. It has always sucked.

Yes mate, it's been the same since GT4. I'm not defending GT7s AI, it sucks - I'm saying its always been this bad.

First 30 seconds of this video shows the silver BMW pulling across into me and pushing me across the track, then at turn 1 the black BMW dives to the inside and leaves me nowhere to go but off the track.

Here's a video of GT5, where the F1 clearly slows down on the apex and then pit manouvers the guy driving.

Here's a video of GT6 where the guy just gets punted off the track. I'm not going to bother with any more, you get the point. It has always sucked.

Not defending their driving but someone punts someone off the track or squeezes them off road in a corner in every F1 race I watch and they are supposed to be the best drivers in the world.

There must be some relation if they are using GT7 to test it.

Besides the new missions, we need Sophy to judge the drivers online and hand out penalties
It'd be interesting to see someone try and set up an ML AI as a steward. I feel like it would be an even more difficult problem than making a passable ML AI. Even humans barely agree on what's acceptable racing sometimes. Getting a clear and well defined data set for it to learn from would be very challenging, let alone getting it to be consistent and fair.

And ultimately, people might not be comfortable with being judged by what is fundamentally a black box. There's value to having clarity in how a judgement was arrived at, even if sometimes the reasoning is silly.

Back