GT Sport's Next Update Arrives January 9

ffs what is going on at pd, I see penalties are pretty much nonexistent now. They should have reverted back to the penalty system we had last season. It worked probably 80% of the time. Will it not be very easy for everyone to get to 99 SR now?

I ran a daily today and it was a total bump fest .. no penalties .. just ramming to your hearts content .. I thought racing was supposed to be a “no contact” sport .. why weaken the penalties for contact of any kind ?? They should be strong like the real world and include damage .. maybe even take championship points .. like the real world .. have yet to see Hamilton spawn back on the track with a new car ..

I ran a daily today and it was a total bump fest .. no penalties .. just ramming to your hearts content .. I thought racing was supposed to be a “no contact” sport .. why weaken the penalties for contact of any kind ?? They should be strong like the real world and include damage .. maybe even take championship points .. like the real world .. have yet to see Hamilton spawn back on the track with a new car ..
If they put damage in then it will be worst.

You know something is horribly wrong when a game takes longer to update than it does to actually install

Glad someone posted about this. Just updating now and it's taking forever for I guess a small amount of game data.

Reminds me of the early days on GT5P on PS3 when PD first started updates.

Edit: So it's copying the whole game over.

I updated to 1.53 recently after 1-2 year hiatus and was hoping to get back into this but christ this is a pain already. I might just give up. Seems quite a grind just to get 2 million credits after doing some research.

I really enjoyed GT5P and GT5 and all the others before but GT Sport just leaves me cold.

Collision penalties no longer exist.....enjoy it while you can, it's bloody chaos out there. WW3 has begun in the GTS lobbies, every racer for themselves.

What a debacle, hope they fix this **** before the weekend.
Me To. DR has gone into the toilet after getting rammed. going from 5th to 15th in daily race B

They should be strong like the real world and include damage .. maybe even take championship points .. like the real world ..
It might keep things calmer with damage and tire wear in daily race. The car has to finish to get DR and SR....That might be interesting.....TBC

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe they don't at least perform some basic testing of what their updates do.
There is no way to defend PD on the quality of their fixes : this shows how thin staffed they are at best, in this case they should have financial support from Sony to hire skilled programmers (as GT sport is still displayed by Sony as a top tier technology demo), or it shows that they lack professionalism.

Glad someone posted about this. Just updating now and it's taking forever for I guess a small amount of game data.

Reminds me of the early days on GT5P on PS3 when PD first started updates.

Edit: So it's copying the whole game over.

I updated to 1.53 recently after 1-2 year hiatus and was hoping to get back into this but christ this is a pain already. I might just give up. Seems quite a grind just to get 2 million credits after doing some research.

I really enjoyed GT5P and GT5 and all the others before but GT Sport just leaves me cold.

Unfortunately this is a problem with every game, because this is how it works on PlayStation 4. It takes a long time with GT Sport, because it is over 100GB.

It is definitely easier and faster to earn money in GT Sport than GT5 and GT5P. I played them both last week so I know :D

If you want a career with a progress from slower cars to faster ones, then GT5 is better, but I always wanted custom races and that is what I got in GT Sport and I loved it when the game came out. Until I found out that online is much more fun :D I use offline races when I just want to chill.

I ran a bunch of events at Lago M last night, and my take is mixed. I slipped back into DR C a couple nights ago, which was bad enough. It IS rougher, but if you drive smart, you can let the FPS guys do their thing and take each other out. I did see a LOT of blatant blocking (hey, no SR penalty) and revenge bumps. Passed a guy on the pit straight, and I could see the red mist building. I braked a touch early and wide, and he went by on the inside and OH, I wasn't there. Without my car to bounce off of, he went straight into the wall. I had one pole, and lost P1 on the last lap. I could catch the guy, but he was blocking like mad. I saw two guys who basically spent 4 laps trying to kill each other congratulating themselves on a clean race afterward. While I appreciate the reduction in nickel & dime penalties for basic hard racing, there's a difference between an incidental rub and a swerve'n'slam, and PD hasn't sorted that out yet.

There's plenty if you have any clue what you're doing.
Easy cowboy. Stop making assumptions right away or being sarcastic. More grip is better. Never said I could not drive the cars with what we have. Just like more money is better. Geez.

I ran a bunch of events at Lago M last night, and my take is mixed. I slipped back into DR C a couple nights ago, which was bad enough. It IS rougher, but if you drive smart, you can let the FPS guys do their thing and take each other out. I did see a LOT of blatant blocking (hey, no SR penalty) and revenge bumps. Passed a guy on the pit straight, and I could see the red mist building. I braked a touch early and wide, and he went by on the inside and OH, I wasn't there. Without my car to bounce off of, he went straight into the wall. I had one pole, and lost P1 on the last lap. I could catch the guy, but he was blocking like mad. I saw two guys who basically spent 4 laps trying to kill each other congratulating themselves on a clean race afterward. While I appreciate the reduction in nickel & dime penalties for basic hard racing, there's a difference between an incidental rub and a swerve'n'slam, and PD hasn't sorted that out yet.
Hasn't been sorted out in real racing either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy cowboy. Stop making assumptions right away or being sarcastic. More grip is better. Never said I could not drive the cars with what we have. Just like more money is better. Geez.

My reply didn't refer to "you" specifically.

Hahaha what a job PD has trying to keep up with "the penalty system is garbage" and "the penalty system is non existent in the game" mood swings at GTP :lol: It's not the game at fault.. It's the players simple as that, no manners or race etiquette = free for all crap racing :P

Enjoy the destruction derby mode guys :lol:👍

Ahh, I see, so I've found the monthly thread for;

PD can't x
Japanese companies always x
PD only care about x
Copying takes so long
and
The penalty system should just be x

I'll show myself out.
Not surprising anymore, since GT Sport is often littered with a lot of complaints. :lol:

Well, I am super glad I have sworn off doing Season 3 of exhibition series. Looks like I will swear off dailies too, not murdering my DR after finally getting back to S after season 2. Back to the lobbies I go.

It's not about the size of the update file, but of the game - the system copies the entire game.

So that's why (At least on a wired connection for me) downloading the Update takes not much time but the copying is rather long.

Hahaha what a job PD has trying to keep up with "the penalty system is garbage" and "the penalty system is non existent in the game" mood swings at GTP :lol: It's not the game at fault.. It's the players simple as that, no manners or race etiquette = free for all crap racing :P

Enjoy the destruction derby mode guys :lol:👍
So I have come to the conclusion that programming a working penalty must be a next to impossible task. We know PD knows how to program a game. Just look at GTS. But they can't seem to get the penalty system right. There has to be more to it than we know since they are still dinking around with it 2 years later after release. I just dream of a time that I dont get a penalty for getting hit my someone else. Fix it or take it off the game.

So I have come to the conclusion that programming a working penalty must be a next to impossible task. We know PD knows how to program a game. Just look at GTS. But they can't seem to get the penalty system right. There has to be more to it than we know since they are still dinking around with it 2 years later after release. I just dream of a time that I dont get a penalty for getting hit my someone else. Fix it or take it off the game.

I too think it is impossible... If PD make no penalties for contact it will be a free for all pure carnage like this latest update now has shown! and If PD make it strict then people will find how best to abuse the penalties in their favor and the innocent genuine gamers will pay the price unfortunately..

Online gaming will keep suffering pretty much the same issues as from years gone bye, and pretty much every game ever created has people who will find a way to cheat or manipulate the game to glitch there way to a possible win.. from people flying on a cloud or hiding inside rocks in the early call of duty games to people wall riding, dive bombing or brake checking you to give you a penalty in GT, that kind of player will always be around to wreck it for the real enthusiast players and it's the main reason I don't do online gaming anymore, they are not worthy of my presence haha :lol:

So for me it's not the game at fault in most instances! it's the rogue players... gimme private lobbies with a group of people I trust and I'll be all over it! but the general public?... Not a chance! :P Too many school bully kids disguised as adults for my liking pfft.. hopefully one day a solution will be found for the perfect online gaming experience :cheers:

Just my view and hopefully the only people who could possibly be offended would be the rogue players I am on about ;)

How did GT6 penalty system work? I can't remember if there was one. Seemed like it was good racing in shuffle lobbies.

How did GT6 penalty system work? I can't remember if there was one. Seemed like it was good racing in shuffle lobbies.
Just to add to what @Quakebass said, if you kept one wheel on the track and hit a car at about the b pillar it didn't matter if you hadn't braked at all for the corner, the car on the outside always got the penalty. You couldn't leave an inch of room to the inside of you or people would force their way in. Driving with your mirrors was a must. It was a dive bombers paradise in the many hundreds of Quick Matches I did. Luckily, there were many of us here on gtplanet that were up the front racing cleanly. :)

Just to add to what @Quakebass said, if you kept one wheel on the track and hit a car at about the b pillar it didn't matter if you hadn't braked at all for the corner, the car on the outside always got the penalty. You couldn't leave an inch of room to the inside of you or people would force their way in. Driving with your mirrors was a must. It was a dive bombers paradise in the many hundreds of Quick Matches I did. Luckily, there were many of us here on gtplanet that were up the front racing cleanly. :)
That's probably it too. I used to join races when a player, I think, "ChevCamaro" opened a room. Loads of races where I always picked a slower car, to make it seem like Multi-class racing. As you said, it was clean racing back then. :)

That's probably it too. I used to join races when a player, I think, "ChevCamaro" opened a room. Loads of races where I always picked a slower car, to make it seem like Multi-class racing. As you said, it was clean racing back then. :)
It wasn't so much that it was clean, it's just we got to know who we were racing. With certain people behind us we had to drive by the mirrors in braking zones (late turn in was the best way to avoid these sorts), or with others you had to be ready to ghost your car on the straights (ready for the inevitable side ram). Then there was the driving the reverse way round the tracks people that ghosting took care of as well. So yeah, we got very good at having clean races amongst the chaos. :lol:

Who's the bruh at Polyphony HQ that woke up and said "Let's fix these penalties by removing them completely"

Like... WHY THO??

It's the best thing they could do honestly. They finally realised that changing a couples of codes here and there was not working in their flawed original concept. They will start a new one from scatch I tell you.

Someone should go see on PD professionnal site if they offer job on coding algorithm stuff.

GT6 did not have shuffle racing. GT5 did though.

I wish there was a slot in the daily race for shuffle :(

It's the best thing they could do honestly. They finally realised that changing a couples of codes here and there was not working in their flawed original concept. They will start a new one from scatch I tell you.

Someone should go see on PD professionnal site if they offer job on coding algorithm stuff.

Well it better be good because after the pain yesterday, I'm starting to lose all hope of any clean racing in the future.

Back