Is camber fixed? Discuss it here.

I've seen that awesome video with the tire deformation in rFactor 2, but I'm wondering how many other sims actually have real calculated tire deformation?

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to say that I totally agree that tires are way too grippy in GT6. 90%+ of cars that come with SH tires should have CM or CS tires installed by default. For people who think I'm off my rocker, you can measure the performance in MoTeC i2 PRO.
ingame footage

real life

Last edited:
So visually, tire deflection is not programmed into GT6. But how do you interpret changes in grip level based upon side wall deflection? And with that formula, wouldn't it just become some sort of code that adds/subtracts to/from a grip multiplier?

The affect would be one of transition, correct and not as much of a factor in overall grip. The tires in the videos above, especially the bottom one, would still give everything it had from a grip level. It would just make the car wobble more in transitions from one side to the other. Or in other words, the car would have a bit of movement before attaining it's full level of grip. I somehow think that GT's tuning programming problems go much deeper that tire deflection? I mean if they just added that visual effect, most on these forums would claim that it is fixed and that the cars handle better.

So visually, tire deflection is not programmed into GT6. But how do you interpret changes in grip level based upon side wall deflection? And with that formula, wouldn't it just become some sort of code that adds/subtracts to/from a grip multiplier?

The affect would be one of transition, correct and not as much of a factor in overall grip. The tires in the videos above, especially the bottom one, would still give everything it had from a grip level. It would just make the car wobble more in transitions from one side to the other. Or in other words, the car would have a bit of movement before attaining it's full level of grip. I somehow think that GT's tuning programming problems go much deeper that tire deflection? I mean if they just added that visual effect, most on these forums would claim that it is fixed and that the cars handle better.
Changes in grip are programmed through an algorithm. Tire flex affects grip, camber settings, responsiveness etc. But I think you're correct in noting that you don't need a visual depiction for it to be programmed into the game physics, although you'd think the two would likely go hand in hand.

It's also important to note, based on yesterdays GTP News Review of Forza 6 that:

You feel the flex in the tire walls in older cars, with a slight bit of hesitance on turn-in that isn’t there on cars with more modern, low-profile rubber.

Of course further testing is needed to confirm this, but if it's true, it's a big step up for Forza and a challenge that PD should look to meet. I believe all pc sims incorporate this behaviour to some degree and if absent from the next game, it would leave GT7 essentially in last place again in tire modeling in all of sim racing.

GT6 tire flex is just how thick "soft-layer" around tires are, that layer is "softer" as better compound you use, and also thicker. This also makes better compound tires bounce more.
That setup what I posted is just brilliant to show that bounce and amount how much deeper softer tire can rest on surface and taking more grip even on "high" camber.
Word can be anything to describe this soft layer on tires, grip multiplier or any.
Nice track for testing rubber bounces on that setup would be Sierra, "high" camber setup on SS tires really grips on tarmac and bounces when trying overcome grip during cornering. On "low" camber effect is bit different, harder to get grip back after losing it.

GT6 tire flex is just how thick "soft-layer" around tires are, that layer is "softer" as better compound you use, and also thicker. This also makes better compound tires bounce more.
That setup what I posted is just brilliant to show that bounce and amount how much deeper softer tire can rest on surface and taking more grip even on "high" camber.
Word can be anything to describe this soft layer on tires, grip multiplier or any.
Nice track for testing rubber bounces on that setup would be Sierra, "high" camber setup on SS tires really grips on tarmac and bounces when trying overcome grip during cornering. On "low" camber effect is bit different, harder to get grip back after losing it.
Can you post some in-game photo evidence of how softer tires rest deeper on the surface?

Of course further testing is needed to confirm this, but if it's true, it's a big step up for Forza and a challenge that PD should look to meet. I believe all pc sims incorporate this behaviour to some degree and if absent from the next game, it would leave GT7 essentially in last place again in tire modeling in all of sim racing.
I think this was introduced back in FM4, no? If not, it was definitely introduced in FM5.

Can you post some in-game photo evidence of how softer tires rest deeper on the surface?
It's not about visual thing, picture of 01010101 wouldn't help a lot.
Testing setup, understanding ffb feedback gives you answer.

Edit: actually I'm not sure if that can be pictured, will check that.
Edit2: It can be photographed, quick shots here, asking if some GT6 photo master can do quick test and take pictures from it to get better and clearer than my quick ones.
Photos are taken online 1lap race at Mazda Laguna seca, taking on start grid, racing alone so on pole.
Compounds on pictures are CH,SS and RS. Using that alternative 340R "high" camber on test tune what posted earlier.
Check shadow what goes under body, closest to tire (left rear tire), how it gets smaller (or goes deeper) when better compound on use.
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca_1.jpg
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca_2.jpg
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca_3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back