Now Even AMG is Going Electric!

If only there was a way to make a powerful efficient green energy ICE engines with a good exhaust volume out there - it'll be the best for cars enthusiasts :(

Whats the average lifespan for the batteries. The batteries in my smartphone dont hold a charge very well after a couple years of everyday use.

I bet buying a new bank of batteries is ten fold the cost of a service on the combustion engined equivalent.

sSJQgmW.gif

Whats the average lifespan for the batteries. The batteries in my smartphone dont hold a charge very well after a couple years of everyday use.

I bet buying a new bank of batteries is ten fold the cost of a service on the combustion engined equivalent.

Quite different applications for one, cell phone batteries tend to die out quickly due to being used constantly, never getting any cool down time unless the user drains the phone to 0. Then you have the fact that many users have apps in the background running all the time which is another factor to why you can charge a phone but an hour later it's 20% drained especially if older. Battery construction and slimmer phones also make it hard for a battery to get proper cooling, which hurts batter longevity. Then you have the fact that users of phones charge their phone while using it which isn't beneficial to the battery being sustained for a long period of time.

Electric cars aren't as such in many of these cases, and have had methods of various battery packaging and construction to face such issue of being able to sustain long term. Simple constructed rechargeable batteries for small electronic devices aren't very comparable to multiple cells making up a massive battery pack.

If only there was a way to make a powerful efficient green energy ICE engines with a good exhaust volume out there - it'll be the best for cars enthusiasts :(

You're not asking for much, are you?

We're facing a future where all cars make no sound at all. All you're gonna hear next to a motorway is a slight electric hum and tyre noise.

Noise pollution will be down at least...

I think we can agree most of us here grew up loving the sound of engines and so did millions of other people, it's gonna be a weird transition. I guess it won't matter when we've all died off, the generations to come won't know any different. Future quote: "They used to power cars with FIRE?!"

We're facing a future where all cars make no sound at all. All you're gonna hear next to a motorway is a slight electric hum and tyre noise.

I think we can agree most of us here grew up loving the sound of engines and so did millions of other people, it's gonna be a weird transition. I guess it won't matter when we've all died off, the generations to come won't know any different. Future quote: "They used to power cars with FIRE?!"

Not sure how old you are and how much you commute, but when driving on the street or freeway/expressway how often do you hear an engine? I drive nearly every day and most of the time I hear the noise of the car on the road, and not the engine or other cars around me. Sure once in a while you'll get a loud vehicle but it's not all that often even in the U.S. where people love noisy vehicles it seems.

It should be noted though that there are people in this industry who say they don't see electric vehicles being a conventional replacement to gas powered vehicles. However, there is a market, and demand and so obviously automakers all want in on it. This AMG move while surprising shouldn't be (haven't read the article Famine wrote), considering they just packed up from DTM and were moved to Formula E. What better way to give a "parallel" marketing wise than this? Which is what FE is for at this point in time to market a brand in cleaner energy.

If people want to solve this then hope someone comes up with a better way to combustion engines that run on hydrogen safely, or for the younger, go to school get into the industry and hope you make gains.

Last edited:
I have been driving a Mercedes B250e and according to the dealer, the batteries have 8 years warranty ... the batteries are developed by Tesla, which has partnered with Mercedes, certain Tesla S components are Mercedes parts, visible are the buttons of the windows and the gearshift lever ... I imagine that after the 8 years the batteries may be tired and I also heard that the exchange can cost everything up to 10,000 euros ,,, the new car cost 45M, one of these days took an optics In the front that cost 900 euros.
The electric cars charge the batteries every day, especially this one that only has autonomy for +-140km in highway or +-180km in road with curves and with more use of brake.
Or exist charging stations around every corner, just like today we have fuel, or the electric cars do not pass of a second car to go to the shoping and come to charge batteries in home.

Although I'm against the toxic gases/fumes/smoke expelled by internal combustion engine, polluting the pressious air we have to breath to stay alive, I'm not that keen on electric cars but I'm not against electric cars either, not even the slightest but there is something wrong with the combination of electricity and cars. It always reminds me of bumper cars. :D

I think it's more of necessity I guess. I'd love to see a traditional gas guzzler with absolutely no toxic fumes and byproducts. Doesn't mean that it has to be gasoline or diesel that makes these cars run. Hydrogen maybe?

As long as they don't completely kill off their V8s and V12s i'll be happy.

With the proposed bans of combustion engines by 3 major players in the EU (including Germany), what choice would they have???

I'm not fussy on the idea, considering here in Canada our hydro grids are aging, maxed out to the point of brown outs and the prices of electricity are beyond the point of stupidity, so why add to the burden with even more uses for said electricity. But as stated above and in other fora, the reduced levels of pollution are beyond compelling, and hard to ignore. But sadly, in the end, we're just going from one monopoly to another. The super rich will be still super rich, and the problems of the working poor will be only exacerbated even further.

Cheers

I'm not totally opposed the idea of electric cars (I went go-karting in some electric karts several years ago, and not having to worry about keeping them in the powerband like single-speed gas karts was awesome), but I do find them way less interesting than combustion-powered cars. What I hate is the current implementation of them. In addition to the unavoidable issue of batteries that still suck, they all come with unnecessary baggage that ruins the experience - almost none of the major players make electric cars that are JUST cars; they have to be rolling smartphones and tablets on wheels. If AMG can just make an EV that's all about (or at least mostly about) driving, more power to them.

And as far as the lack of noise goes, I think it's the noises that EVs do make that's even worse. Most of them make a high-pitched shrieking noise akin to a bus with overheated brakes. The onboard videos of Formula E cars are awful to watch with the sound on. When it comes to EVs, I'd prefer them to be literally silent.

Not sure how old you are and how much you commute, but when driving on the street or freeway/expressway how often do you here an engine? I drive nearly every day and most of the time I hear the noise of the car on the road, and not the engine or other cars around me. Sure once in a while you'll get a loud vehicle but it's not all that often even in the U.S. where people love noisy vehicles it seems.

It should be noted though that there are people in this industry who say they don't see electric vehicles being a conventional replacement to gas powered vehicles. However, there is a market, and demand and so obviously automakers all want in on it. This AMG move while surprising shouldn't be (haven't read the article Famine wrote), considering they just packed up from DTM and were moved to Formula E. What better way to give a "parallel" marketing wise than this? Which is what FE is for at this point in time to market a brand in cleaner energy.

If people want to solve this then hope someone comes up with a better way to combustion engines that run on hydrogen safely, or for the younger, go to school get into the industry and hope you make gains.

I drive for a living, but sorry for not being clear, I meant for pedestrians and people who live next to busy roads when referring to the engine noise, which is why I mentioned it would reduce noise pollution.

I'm sure there's people in the industry that doubt it will ever happen, but I feel it's the only logical direction. Countries are already starting to prepare for an all-electric traffic system. The UK is supposedly banning the sale of diesel/petrol vehicles by 2040, as is France, and car companies have announced they're starting to phase out combustion engines (e.g. Volvo).

Not being a big fan of stuff I can't fix with a hammer and a 1/2inch spanner , I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to the future of the car , but that aside its gonna happen .

My big question though is where is all the power to charge these batteries going to come from ? Most countries are already running at or close to their output potential and the timescale for updating or increasing output is huge .

Not being a big fan of stuff I can't fix with a hammer and a 1/2inch spanner , I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to the future of the car , but that aside its gonna happen .

My big question though is where is all the power to charge these batteries going to come from ? Most countries are already running at or close to their output potential and the timescale for updating or increasing output is huge .
It's often flagged as a potential concern, but here in the UK we have enough regular generation surplus to accommodate every single ICE car becoming an EV car overnight right now. At 3 miles per kWh, the entire UK vehicle parc becoming electric overnight would require an additional 8TWh of electricity annually (average annual mileage is 8,000 miles, UK vehicle parc is 30 million cars; 30,000,000 cars x [8,000 miles/3,000 Wh] = 8,000,000,000,000Wh = 8TWh). We produce an annual surplus of 34TWh.

Although that's just total generation. Chances are that a significant number will be charged at night, creating a similar situation to TV Pickup where a lot of power generation is needed at the same time.

With 23 years between now and then, and improvements in power generation and EV power consumption, I doubt it will be a significant issue.

Serious (pun intended) performance cars will need a gearbox though, since electric engines drop in power at higher revs. I'm sure they could make them straight cut for some epic transmission noise.

As for motorway sounds, isn't it mostly tyre and wind noise anyway?

Last edited:
Most of them make a high-pitched shrieking noise akin to a bus with overheated brakes. The onboard videos of Formula E cars are awful to watch with the sound on. When it comes to EVs, I'd prefer them to be literally silent.
Pedestrian safety laws require electric street cars to emit some sort of noise so that you know they are coming. EV's will never be totally silent.

I guess they'll just pipe the sound in if they want. The rest of the Germans have apparently done it in some fashion.

I didn't even know that was a thing. Perhaps because every fully electric car I frequently see and hear in traffic is a Tesla. So you're saying that some manufacturers are forcing artificial sound into their electric cars? I cannot imagine that's rewarding like listening to a good old ICE.

I didn't even know that was a thing. Perhaps because every fully electric car I frequently see and hear in traffic is a Tesla. So you're saying that some manufacturers are forcing artificial sound into their electric cars? I cannot imagine that's rewarding like listening to a good old ICE.
Not electric, actual petrol cars. I think BMW has done it but they say it's more of a backtrack and the car is still heard easily. But I've seen enthusiasts not thrilled about it.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept

The diesel straight 6 Caterpillar 7.2 liter engine and reefer unit in the truck I drive are louder. Thankfully the turbo is louder than everything. But for the most part, yes.

Given the performance that electric cars have been shown to be capable of, I'm more excited for an electrified future than anything. I have no doubt that another all electric AMG would be able to turn in performance worthy of the AMG badge.

Serious (pun intended) performance cars will need a gearbox though, since electric engines drop in power at higher revs. I'm sure they could make them straight cut for some epic transmission noise.

Some companies have experimented with multiple gears in electric cars. Given the high revs and torque most electric motors can achieve I think a 3 or 4 speed transmission would be enough.

Back