Rumor: Forza Motorsport 8 is being delayed till 2021

• Thread starter TheOE
  • 200 comments

When do you think Forza Motorsport 8 will launch?

• Still in 2020

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Early 2021

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Late 2021

Votes: 34 35.8%

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Later

Votes: 10 10.5%

• Total voters
I think the brand has much potential, but there misses a man like Kaz Yamauchi of Polyphony, who gives the game their DNA and magic. Of course, for example GT Sport has mistakes, too, but game has great atmosphere in his presentation

Yeah Forza's presentation has gone downhill after the transition to the Xbox One. Each of the first 4 Motorsport games had their own unique presentation, and Horizon 2 was good enough, but all the other recent games have had the same derivative UI that doesn't have any flair to it.

Hopefully all this time off and a new game director will let the next one breathe new life into the series, I think it needs to double down on the racing aspect, let Horizon do all the "fun" things. Motorsport needs to have the racing/tuning at the forefront and everything else secondary

I liked Forza Motorsport 6's presentation, with that soundtrack, clean menus and the garage space with your current car. It's probably my favourite UI of the series.
It's definately my 2nd favorite behind FM4's menu. I loved how direct it was with where I needed to go, Turn 10 even gave the game a direct Test Drive button. Like they knew people would want to just try cars out immediately, perfect for when I was making use of millions of credits they kinda gave me at launch...

It's definately my 2nd favorite behind FM4's menu. I loved how direct it was with where I needed to go, Turn 10 even gave the game a direct Test Drive button. Like they knew people would want to just try cars out immediately, perfect for when I was making use of millions of credits they kinda gave me at launch...

Something I realized a while back is how much the menus and presentation actually contribute to my enjoyment of the game. I think Forza Motorsport 7 is a fine game now, but I still think its menus are one of the worst parts of the game. While I like FM4's way of listing all the manufacturers in a separate menu before car selection (as opposed to each manufacturer just being a tab in the same menu), I always found FM6's pleasant. Menus should be simple and quick to navigate, and FM7's menus are neither. Making them look pretty is fine, but when you sacrifice ease of navigation for "aesthetic" so to speak, then it just doesn't work. In my opinion, FM7's menus somehow manage to strike the unfortunate balance between ungainly AND generally unappealing to look at.

Or maybe I'm just a snob when it comes to menu-ing, haha.

Something I realized a while back is how much the menus and presentation actually contribute to my enjoyment of the game. I think Forza Motorsport 7 is a fine game now, but I still think its menus are one of the worst parts of the game. While I like FM4's way of listing all the manufacturers in a separate menu before car selection (as opposed to each manufacturer just being a tab in the same menu), I always found FM6's pleasant. Menus should be simple and quick to navigate, and FM7's menus are neither. Making them look pretty is fine, but when you sacrifice ease of navigation for "aesthetic" so to speak, then it just doesn't work. In my opinion, FM7's menus somehow manage to strike the unfortunate balance between ungainly AND generally unappealing to look at.

Or maybe I'm just a snob when it comes to menu-ing, haha.
Oh, I agree with you fully on that. I found myself playing FM7 less than FM6 partially due to the menu navigation. It feels so clunky and annoying to mess with sometimes. Not to mention the stupid things they do like defaulting the settings on cars to that blasted homologation mode and group modes. Getting a hot lap in on any car takes a few extra steps on the first time round, which makes it a problem when recording cars for my youtube videos.

This is an interesting discussion as I was a avid FM3+4 player on X360, but then dropped out during the XB1 gen, as I went PS4 and GTS. But, I then got FM7 for PC, and it quickly has become my favorite game to play in my racing sim rig I built. In fact as I'm typing this, I'm taking a break between races. I love to just setup a quick race for 20+ laps with a couple mandatory pits and just race. It feels great, and looks amazing running at 120FPS on my new monitor!

At this point I'm more intrigued by Gran Turismo 7 then the next FM game. This is coming from someone who's logged thousands of hours since FM2. The silence by Turn Ten around the next game doesn't help. Total silence except for a trailer that tells us nothing. No information about this supposed reboot. I'm not phased if it comes out this year or next its just the silence that doesn't inspire much confidence in what's supposedly next.

This isnt a Forza v Gran Turismo bash btw-I'm a fan of both series as they both appeal in different ways to me.

At this point I'm more intrigued by Gran Turismo 7 then the next FM game. This is coming from someone who's logged thousands of hours since FM2. The silence by Turn Ten around the next game doesn't help. Total silence except for a trailer that tells us nothing. No information about this supposed reboot. I'm not phased if it comes out this year or next its just the silence that doesn't inspire much confidence in what's supposedly next.

This isnt a Forza v Gran Turismo bash btw-I'm a fan of both series as they both appeal in different ways to me.

To be fair, it's pretty easy to be more interested in the game where they've explicitly told us what to expect and there's already gameplay of it out there. Meanwhile it's main competitor is still only a vague reveal trailer with another equally vague promise of a "reboot" to the series. Like seriously, how does one even really reboot a racing game? They're all kind of the same when you boil it down.

Also, I wonder why we're still referring to it and this thread as "Forza 8". They've clearly stated the title is just Forza Motorsport. Perhaps FM2021/22 doesn't roll off the tongue that well? It caught on for MW2019 well enough.

As I read, they change a lot of positions in turn 10 management and development. I wouldn’t wonder me, if they start development from beginning, if they began, I don’t know. And I don’t know what there will come out after the completely changes? Provocateur said, a new Project Cars 3? I personally am sceptically at this project and we don’t know, if the game will come out ever. Eventually, they change their plans and bring out a new Forza Horizon with race tracks included, out.. Who knows..

Why would they go crazy promoting a game when the next gen consoles are still hard to get.. They will promote the game when there are more consoles out there...

Last edited:
There are many games they can promote but they seem to like promoting games that are about to come out. In this circumstance the hardware isn't in enough hands.

T10 is usually pretty silent in the promotion department until they do their big reveal a few months before the game comes out. I think the only reason we got the teaser was the longer development cycle and they wanted something to get the game back into the spotlight, if only for a few minutes.

What exactly is different here, besides the longer dev time? If you've been around that long, you should have realized that we really don't find anything out about Forza up until a handful of months before its release.

Last edited:
The typical cadence for Forza has been:
  • Announce at E3 in June
  • Release in September or October

Forza Motorsport is an interesting one as it was hinted at in streams as early as 2018 and formally announced in 2020. Unlike pretty much all previous titles it's not on a 2 year development cadence (it would have released in 2019 if it were).

My best educated guess with the info publicly available is that it's coming some time in the next fiscal year, between September 2021 and March 2022. Either way, I am happy for them to take all the time they need to make a great racing game; the last few were good, but not amazing.

What is exactly is different here, besides the longer dev time? If you've been around that long, you should have realized that we really don't find anything out about Forza up until a handful of months before its release.

The first we saw of FM7 was at E3 2017. The game would release on October of the same year, just 4 months later. It wouldn't surprise if the same thing happened with the new FM, with a reveal at E3 and a release a few months later.

Really? With Horizon 5?

With content still regularly streaming in to FH4, FH5 is less than a year away?
Regardless of the reliability/reputation of the insider, I would say this one is a miss.
Besides, Playground uses T10s tech for their games, namely the engine. They're almost certainly waiting for next-gen Forzatech to be completed, in order to bring a proper next-gen Horizon game.

With content still regularly streaming in to FH4, FH5 is less than a year away?
Regardless of the reliability/reputation of the insider, I would say this one is a miss.
Besides, Playground uses T10s tech for their games, namely the engine. They're almost certainly waiting for next-gen Forzatech to be completed, in order to bring a proper next-gen Horizon game.
Exactly, that's the problem. But leaks look real like H5 will come this year. Probably on old tech and M8 will be sometime in the future.

Exactly, that's the problem. But leaks look real like H5 will come this year. Probably on old tech and M8 will be sometime in the future.

Even using old tech, what are they doing releasing new game modes and car packs with the new game less than a year away? That's why I don't buy it. It risks not being a justifiable purchase because the leap in quality isn't good enough.

Last edited:
With content still regularly streaming in to FH4, FH5 is less than a year away
If FH5 will be crossgen tittle this make sense. It will be biggest Horizon game with super hyped setting(JP) and biggest car roster in Forza history. And 2022 could be perfect year for great game-as-a-service Forza Motorsport for next gen consoles.

End of last year, there came a Little Note, the Game is still in early development. Well, as I said, there are many changes at turn 10 as we could read. So for my view, there is no change, we will get in 2021 a finished game. Sorry, that’s not possible. If they will bring anything quicker on market only for competition of new Gran Turismo, it will be a fail and can it let. No, 2022 is the earliest option. When you look also in the announced Xbox-Games for 2021, no Forza scheduled. Of course, if there would be the real option of one, they would listet it. When you look, since 2018 we had no more Forza-Game anymore and I have the feeling, they have oversleep the Racing Games for this new generation and that’s suboptimal from Gamer-view, playground works at fable and Turn 10 seems to have problems in Organisation. PlayStation there has an advantage with there Gran Turismo in Pole mPosition and certainly released in 2021. You can it preorder already in some shops.

To FH4, they can deliver new cars every day if they want, but the map of Great Britain now sucks for a lot a Gamers. It’s boring.

Last edited:
If FH5 will be crossgen tittle this make sense. It will be biggest Horizon game with super hyped setting(JP) and biggest car roster in Forza history. And 2022 could be perfect year for great game-as-a-service Forza Motorsport for next gen consoles.

The issue with FH5 being crossgen is that, apparently, FH4 was already pushing the limits of the previous generation systems. One such limit was map size, which people want to see grow. This would mean FH5 would only have, at best, a slightly larger map than FH4. Since I doubt they would make different maps for FH5, depending on the platform, this will be one thing, of possibly many, in which FH5 will be held back by the older generation of systems.

One such limit was map size, which people want to see grow.
I think map size is OK, especially if we consider seasons. Bigger maps isnt always good thing, especially with 2 year development cycle.

in which FH5 will be held back by the older generation of systems.
There is alot of space for improvement with current tech. More in-depth tuning system, more for seasonal content, more instruments for user generated content and better progression and rating systems. I dont really see what for they should drop One from platform list.

Even using old tech, what are they doing releasing new game modes and car packs with the new game less than a year away? That's why I don't buy it. It risks not being a justifiable purchase because the leap in quality isn't good enough.
It's very easy. You have cars, you have everything else and you need new map only. Support for H4 was very weak and it could be Fable or it could be H5. I don't think PG are so slow they can't deliver anything. Even XSX port was done by other guys. Something happened there.

Really?

Personally I can't think of any other racing game officially supported for such a long time after release.
Every second patch was broken like nobody tested it. That's not PG style. And if you mean "free" cars it's just part of the Game pass, not the game. First DLC was great, second one very strange. After release nobody cared anymore. They probably moved to something else few months after release. Next-gen patch was fine for me but still looks a bit rushed and without PG.

And that's the reason something big should be planned soon and I hope not Fable.

Last edited:
Back