12th Annual Dubai 24H | Congrats to the Winners!Touring Cars 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 84 comments
#123 is cruising. 6+ seconds faster per lap than the car ahead of him. Need some of those front runners in SP3 to have some issues...

Damper failure about 3 hours in. Then a penalty for something (contact I think) just after dark. They have made up a lot of time, and aren't finished yet. Though we'll be lucky to get a top 5.

Now 2 laps behind P8, but running 4+ seconds faster than them per lap.
So using basic maths, how long until they catch up?

Stewards are suggesting that GT3s are too fast for this event... I thought I heard them say there might be prototypes here next year?

Stewards are suggesting that GT3s are too fast for this event... I thought I heard them say there might be prototypes here next year?

Hopefully not at the expense of the touring cars, I love those little things :embarrassed:

phantom car part on track

whose bumper is this?
UEchjwm.jpg

I saw a clip earlier with the Lambo on he back of an M3 GT4. The closing speeds on the GT4 cars is serious.

Man, NISMO team got the #123 back out there without losing any positions, then the car ahead of them had a problem resulting in an extended garage stay. Combined with Jann out there kicking ass, took that position (P8) and was by far the fastest GT4 car on the track. 3+ seconds a lap...

Watching the on-board footage was brilliant.

Edit: 19 Code 60's so far for over 4.5 hours.

Last edited:
39th overall, P8 in SP3-GT4 class for the #123 Nissan 370Z. Consistently the fastest car on track all race, just held back by two left rear damper failures and an alternator swap. Fastest lap time @ 2:10.180. Really wish more of these GT4 Z's would make their way around the globe.

Anyway, good race. I'll post the results in the OP after I get some sleep. :)

Hopefully not at the expense of the touring cars, I love those little things :embarrassed:
I think the prototype race will be a separate 12 hour race the Sunday before the 24h race, the cars will probably be the same LMP3 and CN cars which raced midweek this year, they're not too much quicker than GT3 cars so safety won't be a problem.

Did anyone see that Clio get repaired and sent back on track? Can't wait to see how that handles
Yeah I drove it after it got repaired, actually handled surprisingly no different to before! Set fastest lap in the A2 class with the car in that state, so maybe massive rear structural damage is a good thing for Clio Cup cars..!

Some interesting insight into the future of the Dubai 24hr

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/01/16/whose-dubai-24-hours-is-it-anyway.html

Personally, I wouldn't care if they dropped GT3 all together,, and made GT4 the premier class. Make it the "Le Mans of production racing."
Well Creventic have always stated that they reserve the right to adjust the BoP throughout any event they run, including during the race itself, I've been saying for the past few years that GT3 cars need to be slowed down, they are getting far to quick for the market of driver they are aimed at, maybe Creventic should have all the dive planes removed from them, lose 50bhp and add 50kg to the BoP of all GT3 cars. And adjust the BoP of the handful of classes below that have the Hurracan Super Tropheo etc, I dont think removing them is the answer, as with GT4 gaining steam we will only see them gradually get faster to the point where we are questioning their speeds in 5 years time or so,

Well Creventic have always stated that they reserve the right to adjust the BoP throughout any event they run, including during the race itself, I've been saying for the past few years that GT3 cars need to be slowed down, they are getting far to quick for the market of driver they are aimed at, maybe Creventic should have all the dive planes removed from them, lose 50bhp and add 50kg to the BoP of all GT3 cars. And adjust the BoP of the handful of classes below that have the Hurracan Super Tropheo etc, I dont think removing them is the answer, as with GT4 gaining steam we will only see them gradually get faster to the point where we are questioning their speeds in 5 years time or so,
Couldn't you do everything you just said, but apply it to the GT4 cars so they don't get too fast in 5 years like you say?

For an event with 90+ entries, I don't see why the event needs a dozen or so GT3 cars - GT3 already has a huge list of marquee events around the world that they are the headliner for. Why not have one 24hr race in the year where GT4 is the premier catagory?

Couldn't you do everything you just said, but apply it to the GT4 cars so they don't get too fast in 5 years like you say?

For an event with 90+ entries, I don't see why the event needs a dozen or so GT3 cars - GT3 already has a huge list of marquee events around the world that they are the headliner for. Why not have one 24hr race in the year where GT4 is the premier catagory?

Because aside from the 3 or 4 teams loaded with pro drivers, the rest of the GT3 teams are filled with AM drivers, and most of them like V8 Racing and Hofor Racing couldn't afford the costs of doing the Spa 24h, and cars like the Renault RS01 and the Ginetta GT3 wouldn't be allowed into the Spa 24h,

Creventic already offer a dedicated touring car race in the 24h of silverstone

Back