2021 Formula 1 Calendar threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 364 comments
Racefans' review of the Yas changes is pretty accurate of my thoughts about this tbh. Get the track right and it'll be worth it's billing as one of the best racing facilities in the world.

Well, it can't really get any worse so fingers crossed. With the way this season is going the finale could be a title decider, it'd be nice to have an actual race for it rather than the nonsense we saw in 2016.

Last edited:
They've taken away an overtaking spot at the end of the second back straight with the tight chicane/hairpin-ish. Unless that long left hander is banked, I don't see the point in making that change.

Those changes at Yas Marina are actually surprisingly sensible considering what changes are usually made to modernise F1 circuits. Maybe the entrance to the south 'hairpin' could be a bit more square in my opinion - but I'm actually looking forward to seeing if this does improve not only the racing spectacle, but also the driving experience.

The best thing about that article is there's finally a good picture of the changes
1624533368247.png

Turkey has been uncancelled and will be back on the calendar in place of Singapore
In a pretty crazy triple header of Russia, Turkey, Japan.

That's going to be rough for teams and drivers, unless FOM already know Japan won't happen. But Suzuka/Honda recently seemed sure it would.

Russia to Turkey isn't a difficult trip though. They do Baku to Montreal regularly as a b2b. Japan's quarantining will be the only issue there.

And replaced with yet another circuit with no overtaking points
Can't be much worse than Sochi
Is the other track any good though?
No idea. It's been on many calendars for the last two years, but it's always been cancelled because of COVID.
It looks like it has some good corners, which is better than Sochi's 1.

Igora Drive is going to have an extension for F1. Don't know what the purpose is, looks like the typical hard to follow mid/low stuff and clumsy chicane before hairpin, which we know from Abu Dhabi works so well.

racefansdotnet-igora-drive-changes-1920.jpg

Last edited:
Without that chicane it'd probably be alright. The rest of the layout does seem a bit drawn-with-a-compass, but there are some alright parts and it certainly looks a hell of a lot better than Sochi. This is still an improvement.

Igora Drive is going to have an extension for F1. Don't know what the purpose is, looks like the typical hard to follow mid/low stuff and clumsy chicane before hairpin, which we know from Abu Dhabi works so well.

If you didn't include the info, I would have thought this might have been the proposed modification for Abu Dhabi. Does the track have any elevation?

Without all the information provided in addition to the map, this would be the world's easiest game of 'Spot the F1 Bits'.

The absolute angles on that lad.

Thing to remember with the new circuits and stuff is there will be one eye on the new regs from next season. If the promises of what the new cars are about cam be fulfilled then tracks that might not look exciting for the current cars, might be different with cars than can follow close and race closer together with less dirty air etc. So I'll hold judgement until we see those new cars in action.

I actually like driving on the Sochi track in the game. The races haven’t really been exciting but all it takes is the right circumstances for that to happen, see France.

Oh dear. What a load of absolute rubbish. The event brings millions of dollars into the state and having it cancelled again is a massive blow to the economy. I hope it comes back next March.

Was never going to go ahead, no way the teams would have agreed to two weeks quarantine.

Until the quarantine situation is over it will keep happening, not just the F1 but other international events too.

Was never going to go ahead, no way the teams would have agreed to two weeks quarantine.

Until the quarantine situation is over it will keep happening, not just the F1 but other international events too.
This, was asking a lot of a country that has been incredibly stringent with its rules to bend them for a sporting event. Hopefully they have enough support to survive this setback given they've just spent a lot of money upgrading the circuit.

I can't say I'm surprised when entire states go into lockdown over a single case.

Back