2024 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar ChampionshipSports Cars 

Just read this on sportscar365.com, an eyewitness account about the last lap controversy:

I was at the race. I watched the last two hours intensely and was rooting for the Cadillac. The cars were very evenly matched.
The Porsche (7) was leading followed by Cadillac (31). Watching closely the 7 was slightly faster on the oval while the 31 could close the gap on the road sections. These differences were slight.
On a pit stop the 31 came out in front and was maintaining the lead. Then when the Lexus caught fire on pit road the cars pitted again. This time the 7 came out in front. For the rest of the race traffic was the only factor with an ebb and flow between the cars as they negotiated traffic.
Knowing the end was near I began watching the flag stand anticipating the white flag and a torrid last lap. The white flag was not shown to the leaders. Instead, with the leaders in the infield road course section the white flag was shown to another car. ( My speculation is a P2 car with similar colorization. In any case the white flag was waving for all the cars until the 7 and 31 approached and the white was dropped (without ever having been shown to the leaders) and the checkered flag was waved.
The 7 continued at speed, perhaps not trusting the flag stand, (Or under orders from the Penske team. ) The 31 took the checkered and slowed for a cooldown lap, as did the following cars. The 7 took the checkered flag a second time, then completed a cooldown lap.
Article: https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/nasr-beats-blomqvist-to-historic-rolex-24-win-for-porsche/
Link to the specific comment (by Raymond Krolewicz): http://disq.us/p/2xhdphm

Last edited:
I'm turning to you with a request to help out the unexperienced and uninitiated. After talking about it several times, this year the time has come to finally visit an IMSA event in person. Obviously, in my infinite wisdom I chose the year and venue when the WSC doesn't pay a visit: Mid-Ohio in 2024. I decided to post this here as the normal thread talking about GT4 is pretty much global, I felt this thread would be a better place.

So yeah, MPC will headline the event at Mid-Ohio, there will be the VP Racing Sportscar Challenge, the new Mustang one-make races and the MX-5s. If the visit will be good, I may be able to convince my wife to repeat it once WSC returns there as I'd like to see the GTPs in person, too. So, I booked the hotel (shortly after the IMSA calendar was revealed) and just bought the tickets the other day. Weekend Pass (gonna drive to the track on Friday, at the track Saturday and Sunday) and also bought the infield parking.

If you have any tips or advice, please share them with me. The last time I was trackside was back in 1999 at the Hungaroring (FIA GT Championship), not exactly yesterday. Food vendors are not relevant for me (due to "food allergy"), more like where to go, where to be, things like that.

Thank you for anything shared!!

Went to Mid-Ohio for several years to watch the WeatherTech Series before we made the switch to Road America last year (a Track that I highly recommend for all, even if driving through Chicago and Milwaukee to get there is a pain-and-a-half).

Best viewing area is on the Grandstands on the outside of the track along the main straight (accessible via pedestrian tunnel). You'll be see the cars exit turn 1, go out to the Keyhole, come back and zoom past you before braking hard, navigating the Esses and disappearing into Thunder Valley.

If you didn't pay for Grandstand access or just want to sit in your own lawn chair, next best spot is along the hill on the inside of the track at the Esses. It's one of the best spots for overtaking on the track, and you'll be able to walk up close to the action to get photos or video. Be sure to get there early if you go this route, the best spots on the hill get claimed pretty quick.

Some Video from both viewpoints:

Of course, I recommend taking the time to go to the Open Paddock at some point in the weekend. Always a treat to be able to see the cars and crews up close.

Last edited:
Went to Mid-Ohio for several years to watch the WeatherTech Series before we made the switch to Road America last year (a Track that I highly recommend for all, even if driving through Chicago and Milwaukee to get there is a pain-and-a-half).

Best viewing area is on the Grandstands on the outside of the track along the main straight (accessible via pedestrian tunnel). You'll be see the cars exit turn 1, go out to the Keyhole, come back and zoom past you before braking hard, navigating the Esses and disappearing into Thunder Valley.

If you didn't pay for Grandstand access or just want to sit in your own lawn chair, next best spot is along the hill on the inside of the track at the Esses. It's one of the best spots for overtaking on the track, and you'll be able to walk up close to the action to get photos or video. Be sure to get there early if you go this route, the best spots on the hill get claimed pretty quick.

Some Video from both viewpoints:

Of course, I recommend taking the time to go to the Open Paddock at some point in the weekend. Always a treat to be able to see the cars and crews up close.

Thank you, gonna save your post and watch the video!!

According to the Mid-Ohio website the weekend pass that I purchased includes Grandstand seating, so I got that covered. As far as Paddock goes, that's definitely something I want to do, told my wife already :) We're gonna take our lawn chairs for sure. I definitely want to move around the track to "breathe in" as much as possible - gonna be dead tired as I have zero stamina but I expect it's gonna be great. Especially the ride back home on Sunday. easy 7-7.5 hours :)

From what I've seen from Road America, it must be great - but it's 14 hours drive from us (Philly area). But never say never, who knows when we will have the opportunity to do it :)

I also highly suggest the paddock walk, if only to witness the sheer insanity of the amount of tires Michelin brings over a weekend. When I went to CTMP last summer they had 12 semi trailers just for them.

Best time I feel if you want to see the cars up close is to show up in the paddock a few minutes before a session starts (a practice session ideally as you won't really miss any of the action) the cars will usually be pre-gridded in the paddock relatively unnattended. Best part of my weekend was nearly getting run over by Ricky Taylor in the pits. :lol:

Best time I feel if you want to see the cars up close is to show up in the paddock a few minutes before a session starts (a practice session ideally as you won't really miss any of the action) the cars will usually be pre-gridded in the paddock relatively unnattended. Best part of my weekend was nearly getting run over by Ricky Taylor in the pits. :lol:
Agreed, I wasn't expecting such amazing access to cars, teams, drivers etc. when I went to the Spa 24h last year, it blew my mind and I absolutely loved it!

I also highly suggest the paddock walk, if only to witness the sheer insanity of the amount of tires Michelin brings over a weekend. When I went to CTMP last summer they had 12 semi trailers just for them.
At Spa, Pirelli had an entire 'village' set up. I wanted to check it out, but I was very tired...

getmecoat.gif

Last edited:
GTP BOP has been published for Sebring with every car different than last years race which had the Cadillac's 1-2 in qualifying and the 31 winning the race.

Difference to last year
Acura 1055 kg (-1kg) 512 kw (-8)
BMW 1030 kg (-10 kg) 506 kw (-7)
Cadillac 1060 kg (+22) 520 kw (+7)
Porsche 1049 kg (+1) 508 kw (-9)

Lambo 1044 513 kw

GTP BOP has been published for Sebring with every car different than last years race which had the Cadillac's 1-2 in qualifying and the 31 winning the race.

Difference to last year
Acura 1055 kg (-1kg) 512 kw (-8)
BMW 1030 kg (-10 kg) 506 kw (-7)
Cadillac 1060 kg (+22) 520 kw (+7)
Porsche 1049 kg (+1) 508 kw (-9)

Lambo 1044 513 kw
Acura received a big discount on the minimum weight after Daytona I see... From 1,072 kg to 1,055, maybe it will become competitive again. Cadillac will be the heaviest (+30 kg compared to Daytona), but on the other hand it will be the most powerful (520 kW). Despite the win in Florida, Porsche gets a small weight loss (-2 kg), I think it will be the favorite at Sebring too. BMW with the minimum regulatory weight (1,030 kg) but also with the lowest power, reduced compared to the Daytona. I think the organizers don't even know how to make the MHybrid V8s competitive. In general, less power for everyone except the Cadillac, as already mentioned.

Very curious to see the Lamborghini, will it race at Sebring? It didn't go badly in testing at Daytona, but then they decided not to participate in the 24 Hours. Theoretically they would have a favorable power-to-weight ratio.

I hope that IMSA TV streaming will be easily viewable here in Europe as it was for the 24 Hours of Daytona. I can't wait.

Last edited:
Acura received a big discount on the minimum weight after Daytona I see... From 1,072 kg to 1,055, maybe it will become competitive again. Cadillac will be the heaviest (+30 kg compared to Daytona), but on the other hand it will be the most powerful (520 kW). Despite the win in Florida, Porsche gets a small weight loss (-2 kg), I think it will be the favorite at Sebring too. BMW with the minimum regulatory weight (1,030 kg) but also with the lowest power, reduced compared to the Daytona. I think the organizers don't even know how to make the MHybrid V8s competitive. In general, less power for everyone except the Cadillac, as already mentioned.

Very curious to see the Lamborghini, will it race at Sebring? It didn't go badly in testing at Daytona, but then they decided not to participate in the 24 Hours. Theoretically they would have a favorable power-to-weight ratio.

I hope that IMSA TV streaming will be easily viewable here in Europe as it was for the 24 Hours of Daytona. I can't wait.
The numbers I used for comparison were the specs they ran last year at Sebring. Daytona is unique and the BOP has never really carried over for the rest of the schedule.

Iron Lynx has entered the #63 GTP with drivers Matteo Cairoli, Andrea Caldarelli, and Romain Grosjean.

If I'm not mistaken, they had a setback in testing that caused them not to take part.

If I'm not mistaken, they had a setback in testing that caused them not to take part.
The SC63 was supposed to participate in the roar to rolex 24 (that was canceled after Bortolotti chrashed at Paul Ricard). The SC63 was homologated in the last weeks of january for the WEC.

Race 1 in the books and yet another fantastic finish. They have these awesome finishes race after race AND the drivers stay
clean, that is how you do it!

IMSA released their 2025 calendar with the hope of avoiding or having less clashes, unchanged from 2024 as I understand it:

Also, the MPC calendar for 2025 was released, MPC headlines Mid-Ohio again:

I guess I need to see whether I can make it to Watkins Glen next year to see the WSC in person.

I'd argue that ironically, the weight might've helped the Caddies.
Toyota would be killing it here with their BOP.

It is odd that the car with Multimatic and Penske shock technology looks like it was equipped with Duralast shocks from Autozone.

Bovy getting into the slipstream of the gtps and passing easilly other gt3 cars was a little bit surreal :D
(the first or second time when gtps lapped the gtd pack)

The #80 Merc just attempted one of the sketchiest turn-arounds I've ever seen, and it looks like the sole Liger LMP2 is dead in the water.

Edit: Also, I'm aware Sebring is a pretty bumpy track, but the Lambo SC63 looks like it's playing hop-scotch with how much it was bouncing around.

Last edited:
It's pretty disappointing that the GTP cars are not coming to Canada once again next year. If they were then I would be planning a trip to Bowmanville as we speak.

Back