Gran Turismo Sophy: Sony AI x Polyphony Digital

• Thread starter Magog
  • 1,675 comments

New Sophy article. Makes it out as if they have addressed the sportsmanship issue the AI had, but of course we don't get to see any of this in action, it's just taking peoples word for it from interviews.

It would be nice to see an up to date race to determine whether or not there actually have been sizeable improvements. The nords video didn't really tell us a thing, we've always known it's quick, but if they've made it drive cleaner in an actual race, that'd be something worth seeing.

New Sophy article. Makes it out as if they have addressed the sportsmanship issue the AI had, but of course we don't get to see any of this in action, it's just taking peoples word for it from interviews.

It would be nice to see an up to date race to determine whether or not there actually have been sizeable improvements. The nords video didn't really tell us a thing, we've always known it's quick, but if they've made it drive cleaner in an actual race, that'd be something worth seeing.
I'm a bit confused by that article - as far as I can tell this is a summary of last year events, not new event or development (?)

Its story is basically "In the first event, Sophy was too aggressive, so it got a lot of penalties, which caused it to loose. This was adjusted for the second event, and it won".

I did watch the 2 events a bit ago, and in my recollection it was kind of the opposite.

In July, Sophy struggled a bit in traffic, and to overcome. It didn't get many penalties really.
In October - it dived bomb left and right, ignored track limits, pushed human to the sand, and forced them to basically be careful and avoid it.

I thought the July event to be a great watch by the way - in a humans vs robots way, each with their strengths and weaknesses, and fairly good sportsmanship.
The October event felt more like dirty A++ drivers bullying A+ drivers.

Yeah this is def a first. Curious to see when it may be ready for prime time. Maybe sooner than we all thought.
Given the still in progress state GT7 is and now what just happened at salzberg (from what I read anyway), I would not count on it for 2022 at least.

Given the still in progress state GT7 is and now what just happened at salzberg (from what I read anyway), I would not count on it for 2022 at least.
I didn’t expect this year either at earliest next year sometime latest maybe 2-3 years from now imo. Def have some stability pieces to work out but I think they are getting there.

Here is the timestapped Sophy talk/demo

A lot of marketing waffle followed by very brief clips including for some reason a dirt race where you can't see anything followed by Maggiore with rather questionable driving techniques by Sophy, barging through.

Not a particularly good "showcase". Very odd.

Here is the timestapped Sophy talk/demo

A lot of marketing waffle followed by very brief clips including for some reason a dirt race where you can't see anything followed by Maggiore with rather questionable driving techniques by Sophy, barging through.

Not a particularly good "showcase". Very odd.

I guess / hope they will put a properly edited video on that later on, like they did last year.
The good news I get from that is that it is still moving forward, and now working on GT7.

Last edited:
"We are working on [things] and hope to implement them by [date or time frame] if things go well. We plan for them to entail [simple summary of the details]". So much of the info we get is from these random sources when PD can sate us so easily for months with a few sentences that can fit in a tweet.

Anyway, hopefully plans have changed and we can race Sophy with customizable difficulty.

Last edited:
random sources
You... think that the official Gran Turismo TV account is a "random source"?

1659365695191.png

We even gave you the timestamp in the video to see it yourself...

Last edited:
Sophy is not a priority for this game, it can be good only for professional drivers. GT7 need a lot of things to be fixed.
People have been vocal about the AI in the game since forever, so I think having a good one seems very much like a priority to me. It could make the offline campain so much more interesting.
If/when implemented, Sophy most likely won't be that super fast opponent we see in the shows, that would be pointless.

Last edited:
That AI stuff get my attention when he/she/it is abel to drive without driver assist. All videos that we see so far are without the buttom UI/HUD elements to hide that the ai is running driver assists.
Is AI not inherently going to behave like it have driver assists enabled?

I get that if it's supposed to be mimicking a real person driving it shouldn't but at the moment they're just trying to make it as fast as possible so it's throttle control will super fast, as though they are using TC, for instance.

Is AI not inherently going to behave like it have driver assists enabled?

I get that if it's supposed to be mimicking a real person driving it shouldn't but at the moment they're just trying to make it as fast as possible so it's throttle control will super fast, as though they are using TC, for instance.
In my opinion, it is a diffrent to drive a car and squeeze the max out of assist or squeeze the max out of the car and the ai.
Watch lagio mission. The ai use tc and sometimes it switches the countersteer assist on and off.

It was more interrestimg to see what the ai can do without assist. Its also a learning prozess. And the ai could be programmed that way to realize when the tires spin not when the tc kicks in.

It is interresting of corse but my attention is on without those stuff.

The gt human drivers use no driveassist only abs.

Hopefully this isn't just implementing a super rabbit, but some adjustments to AI race craft.
We saw a little glimbs. Ai pushes one drive slitly and on dirt is it mean to hit somone. He los position.

I care less about the intelligence of the AI and more about the stupid "chase the rabbit" format for 90% of the single player race events in GT7.
The only real chase in GT7 is human comedy mission 1 and 8 with the difficulty bug. I sayed it before in the human comedy section, this bug gives us a glimps of what happens with an Ai that drive perfect.

Last edited:
Back