GT Sport's 2020 Updates to be "Modest", Three New Cars Coming Next Week

• Thread starter Stephan
  • 514 comments
I for one am quite happy that Kaz has set expectations for the year. That's not normally something they would do so hopefully that will do something to keep people ideas about what will be added in check. People do like a wishlist though :lol:

Generally I'm happy when anything gets added to a game I bought for £20 18 months ago and looking forward to giving the DBR9 a go.

Isn't that Z31 looking close to the silhouette too?
SAVE_20200223_142235.jpg

I don't know why y'all make that conclusion, if it comes to cars they will use same models in the next game because they quality is amazing - why would they stop with that then?

It still requires a lot of work to create multiple LOD models of the cars and optimize them for PS4 use. Time better spent making more cars for GT7 if it is in the launch window of PS5.

Surprised the thread hasn't devolved into 80's Gotham-level anarchy yet, but maybe I've arrived too early.

I do wanna say a few things though:

If the updates are gonna be few and far between now, does that mean the updates are gonna become bi-monthly or are we just gonna gloss over some months without updates with no specific pattern?

And as for the prospect of GT7... I'm still having my doubts on it being a launch title for the PS5; not only has there never been a GT that has launched alongside any PS console, it also means it might run the risk of being rushed out and ending up being half-baked similar to what happened to Forza Motorsport 5 on the Xbox One. At the very least 7 should be a late 2021 release, but I'm sure one specific person is gonna chew me out for suggesting that.

And as for the prospect of GT7... I'm still having my doubts on it being a launch title for the PS5; not only has there never been a GT that has launched alongside any PS console...
My feelings are that the success of the Xbox One X has changed perceptions of the impact of title availability at launch, and that Sony may well now see it as strategically essential to be able to play GT in some form on the PS5 at launch.

Surprised the thread hasn't devolved into 80's Gotham-level anarchy yet, but maybe I've arrived too early.

I do wanna say a few things though:

If the updates are gonna be few and far between now, does that mean the updates are gonna become bi-monthly or are we just gonna gloss over some months without updates with no specific pattern?

And as for the prospect of GT7... I'm still having my doubts on it being a launch title for the PS5; not only has there never been a GT that has launched alongside any PS console, it also means it might run the risk of being rushed out and ending up being half-baked similar to what happened to Forza Motorsport 5 on the Xbox One. At the very least 7 should be a late 2021 release, but I'm sure one specific person is gonna chew me out for suggesting that.
-I guess no specific pattern for the future updates.
-At the end, it's a racing game, not a billion dollar project like GTA6. Three years should be enough to develop a new game. And I'm sure some assets were ready for GTSport but never used like Pikes Peak or some drift cars. (we won't see any classic original tracks on PS4...)
Poly was the first Playstation studio to unveil its ray tracing technology. They seem to be ready. Now we wait.

Quoting myself from the GT7 rumor thread:

The content we get for GT Sport is the next 1 or 2 months should be an indicator for how close we actually are.

If new content dries out somewhat that could mean that it´s all hands on deck at PD for GT next.

The question reamins if whatever is next is indeed GT7 or just a next gen continuation of GT Sport.

I suspect it will be the latter, a high frame-rate version of GT Sport with ray-tracing (and therefore potentially dynamic lighting / time of day changes) to show off the PS5´s capabilities.

That I believe could be out close to the PS5´s launch.

exciting times!

Last edited:
Only three cars a little modestly after 2 months break, I hope that together with the cars we will get some new track.

Kazunori Yamauchi - March 2019
I think nowadays we are no longer in the era where you hold on to the new cars and tracks that you create for the next title, and you save it all for your release. I don’t think we work that way any more. Now it is sort of like being on Spotify or the iTunes Store; I think it is more natural to have new additional cars and tracks added to the store as they are ready to go.

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-paris-interview-part-2/

Something drastic must have happened at PD. Either that, or Kaz was talking big without substance - again.

Well, there goes my hope of seeing the XJ220 in the game. I’m not buying a $500 console for one game either, so I guess this is the end of my road with Gran Turismo.

The message should have been dropped last month by Kaz when they did the non-content update, but at least he finally got around to letting us know what’s going on.

Or neither? They are most likely working on something for the PS5 and therefore don’t have the capacity to maintain the level of support for GT Sport we got used to.

I don't see how content developers (those who create cars and tracks for the game) can work on a PS5 title without withholding content. At least not when held against the news that this years updates will be modest in frequency and volume, and what Kaz said back in March.

I don't see how content developers (those who create cars and tracks for the game) can work on a PS5 title without withholding content. At least not when held against the news that this years updates will be modest in frequency and volume, and what Kaz said back in March.

I can see that though. They are developing cars and tracks for a different game. A skeleton crew will most likely maintain GT Sport (and even create some new content for It - cool!), but PD in it’s entirety has clearly moved on to something new.

Well, that's it folks, show's over. It was good while it lasted, but it's a shame that we got an unfinished game at launch, which could easily be considered alpha stage and in the end the game resembles a beta rather than a full proper product. For me it wasn't worth 60$ on release and it still doesn't deserve that price point. At least I bought it for 20$, a fair price for the content included. Let's hope GT7 brings a better experience, especially in the singleplayer department and a good place to start would be improving the AI.

I can. They are developing cars and tracks for a different game. A skeleton crew will most likely maintain GT Sport (and even create some new content for It - cool!), but PD in it’s entirety has clearly moved on to something new.

Which is exactly why I pointed out that Kaz probably misled us when he stated that they no longer save content for future titles.

Which is exactly why I pointed out that Kaz probably misled us when he stated that they no longer save content for future titles.

But they still make future titles.

there has to be a cut off somewhere.

people have high hopes and even higher expectations for GT Next - if Kaz wants to meet those he has to put his entire studio to work.

I want the next GT to be more than GT Sport with ray tracing.

and most importantly: the support for GT Sport is not ending. It’s just slowing down a bit.

Well... yesterday i thought myself: "I won't be playing Gran Turismo until PD launches another update!"

I don't think this update will get me on playing Gran Turismo again lol. But I get over it, I like the idea of PD finally getting to work entirely on the next Gran Turismo. I know that most of the people here at GTPlanet won't be buying the PlayStation 5 just for playing Gran Turismo, I quite agree with it, too, but that's how things works... I think.

MAYBE we won't be playing the next Gran Turismo as soon as the PlayStation 5 is launched, but we might get a peer on it, some kind of teaser or something, knowing how PD works, that will be the case. Expect the next Gran Turismo in 2022 (5 years apart from Gran Turismo SPORT)

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-paris-interview-part-2/

Something drastic must have happened at PD. Either that, or Kaz was talking big without substance - again.

This assumption is baseless. Slowing down post-launch content for GTSport after almost 2 years straight of monthly dlc does not mean they are withholding more new content for GT7. Optimizing multiple LOD models of the cars for PS4 takes a lot development time.

The Jaguar Vision GT 3D model, as received from Jaguar’s designers, contains over 7 million polygons. The challenge for Polyphony’s 3D artists, then, is to figure out how to reduce the number of polygons while retaining as much detail as possible. Kazunori explains this is a very difficult process which cannot be automated. Only humans can identify the exact shapes which are most important to the car’s appearance.

To give you an idea of the immense amount of work this requires, the Jaguar Vision GT was reduced from 7 million to 70,000 polygons for the game. From there, even more models with less detail need to be produced by hand.

Reducing GTSport content support means more devs now have time to focus solely on creating and optimizing cars and tracks just for a PS5 GT7. Creating a super high-poly model for the future does not mean it automatically runs on PS4 and PS5.

Last edited:
Looking forward to what the year has in store, regardless of quantity! I guess the Gr.3 Mazda is getting it's own release day then? Seems odd to not give it out before the official seasons start :confused:.

This thread has been an entertaining read as always though :lol:

When the game's support ends and GT7 is there, I'll look back at this game where it revitalized my appreciation towards the franchise after the last two games where I got bored of the traditional formula. And also having more fun in this game than the last two games combined.

Not only it did what I wanted to see them do (put the traditional side of things aside for now because the traditional stuff deserves a break for once) but it also became a gateway to me becoming more active in competing online events be it would be leagues, FIA races, daily races, etc. and also improving on being a online racer.

And the monthly updates. It didn't matter to me if let's say the car I want wasn't featured in this update because I'll always find a way to make use of the cars given to us whether it would be a road car, race car, Gr.X car, or whatever PD added to the game.

But yeah this game has been fun.

Anyways with that being said, I look forward to the update especially the DBR9. It's been a while since I last drove the car in a video game and it was Shift 2 Unleashed.

latest

Latest Posts

Back