How many of you will get Gran Turismo Mobile?

• Thread starter Strittan
  • 289 comments

Are you getting Gran Turismo Mobile?

• Yes

Votes: 216 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 56 17.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 49 15.3%

• Total voters
Anyway, I'm torn over the decision to buy the old PSP and having GTM on UMD, or buying the new PSP Go and getting GTM as download. I like having a physical copy of the game, but I also don't want my PSP to become obsolete quickly.
Let's start here.

PSP-3000 has very little difference from PSP Go to allow it to become obsolete. It lacks internal memory but still takes Memory Stick Pro Duo, which is actually cheaper than the M2 Memory Sticks the Go uses. The older PSPs still connect online and can download through the PlayStation Store. You could, if you so chose, buy GT Mobile as a download on an older PSP, you just need a memory card with enough space.

So, the only fear of buying GT on UMD is that if they never implement a way to convert a UMD to a digital file and then if they do away with older model PSPs, because they no longer sell, you would lose your ability to play it if your PSP broke. That is a lot of big ifs and Sony would be crazy to not have a way to replace a UMD game without paying for if they make UMDs obsolete.

On the other hand PSP Go has a lot more features (and I suspect better graphics too) but I would have to deal with the possibility that someday my whole GTM game + save will get wiped out should there be a failure :scared: What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
PSP Go only has two new technical features: Internal memory and bluetooth. Also, you can put the memory cards in any reader for your PC and copy your save to the hard drive as a back up. I did that when I wanted to move a game from my 2 GB card to my 4 GB card. You may even be able to plug it in directly via USB and access the internal memory (just speculating here), as doing that with a current PSP will allow it to act like a memory card reader for your Memory Stick. The only screen information I have heard is Yamauchi saying that he believes it has some better contrast over the PSP-3000 screen, but John Koller said it is the same screen, just smaller.

Which brings up the fact that the PSP Go has a half inch smaller screen 4.3" vs 3.8".

Here are some comparison (to multiple devices) photos from Kotaku.
http://kotaku.com/5273302/portable-size+off-how-the-psp-go-measures-up

psp_go_vs_psp_iphone.jpg

psp_go_vs_dsi.jpg

Also, I suggest looking up the various PSP Go hands-on reviews. I have read some that say it is perfect and others that say the smaller button configuration is causing then to accidentally hit square nearly every time they hit X. Some like the shoulder buttons and some don't. Better yet, go to some place that has displays out and try the current PSP now (even if it isn't on you can get a feel for it), and then compare how that feels to the PSP Go display when that comes out.

Basically, which you like better will mainly be due to personal preference. I prefer physical products and a larger screen. Some find it awesome to fit it in a pocket and not worry about discs. I obviously don't care about that because I bought a hard plastic travel case that makes it impossible to stick in a pocket and can carry two extra Memory Sticks and two extra UMDs.

P.S. Also, am I the only one who thinks that the car trading system is lame? What's wrong with allowing us to unlock cars the normal way? Because no one I knew play PSP or likes GT, so my chance of unlocking all 800 cars is very slim :(
I am in a similar situation. The people I know with PSPs do not play GT.

If a nice GTPSP box will come for somewhere around 150-160 i'll probably go for that. GT PSP would actually be the only game i'll play on the PSP.

The hardware seems to be the same so i'll probably go for the older model then (which should be fine enough as well).

The way I understood the trading system was that you could still collect all cars without it. However it would take much longer without the trading system.

The way I understood the trading system was that you could still collect all cars without it. However it would take much longer without the trading system.

Could be, perhaps events randomly pick a prize car and a car cannot be won again? wouldn't make much sense and it would be quite stupid if you miss out interesting cars.

Anyone worried about getting GT Mobile on UMD and then later finding the UMD systems are discontinued I have hope:

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-sony-to-provide-digital-copies-of-your-current-umds-135032.phtml

E3 09: Sony to provide digital copies of your current UMDs
3 hour ago - 9:48 AM on 06.05.2009, Jordan Grim Devore 20 comments

Already own a PSP with a decent amount of titles in your collection? Looking to upgrade to a PSP Go, but aren't sure what will become of your UMDs? It's sounding like Sony is going to have a solution for you, and hopefully a free one at that.

Gizmodo set out to find out more from Sony's John Koller, and the site got a nice explanation. "We're in the midst of putting together a good will program," he says, which will be revealed "soon." Continuing, Koller says that "In the past, we've seen a 20-25% trade-up factor, and I assume that's going to be the case here."

The user experience for this program is said to be similar to Portable Copy, a free way to transfer Blu-ray movies from the PlayStation 3 to the PSP. Koller states that "users would not be ripping their UMDs" in this scenario, which leaves Gizmodo to speculate that it will be a "PSN-based digital distribution model."

No word on whether or not the offer would allow you to theoretically and legally put digital versions of your UMDs on a PSP 1000, 2000, or 3000, but that would be pretty rad of Sony to allow. Perhaps a little too rad to be realistic, though.

And a second source with Koller and someone else from Sony.

http://kotaku.com/5279557/sony-is-working-on-a-umd-solution-for-psp-go
Sony Is Working on a UMD Solution for PSP Go
By Brian Crecente, 11:30 PM on Thu Jun 4 2009

One of the biggest hurdles to getting Playstation Portable owners to upgrade to the recently announced PSP Go is their existing library of UMD games which won't work on the device.

But don't worry, Sony Computer Entertainment is hard at work on a solution.

"We are looking into programs for owners who have previously purchased UMD titles and want to exchange them for digital versions," said Sony Computer Entertainment's Brian Keltner. "It's something we are still hammering out the details. As soon as we have solid plans in place we will make an announcement."

Keltner added that SCEA hopes to have the plan in place before the PSP Go ships.

Sony's John Koller, Director of Hardware Marketing, told Gizmodo that the program was a "short term good will program that would continue for years afterward."

Earlier this year rumors surfaced that one of the programs Sony was looking at would put kiosks in retail stores that would allow gamers to turn their UMD games into digital ones.

Keltner declined to comment on the rumor.

So, I would say that it is highly likely that we may have a good option here, but I just hope their attemps to prevent piracy don't muck it up.

I'm not really sure. I don't currently own a PSP, but if Soul Calibur, Tekken 6, MGS: Peace Walker and this all get good reviews I might buy one.

I'm just annoyed that there can only be four cars on track, and that there's no Gran Turismo Mode. It seems as though they've sacrificed gameplay just so they can include more cars and tracks. I would have actually preferred a straight port of GT3 (which I'm sure would have been possible).

I will buy the PSP Go, with GT mobile. No doubt, it will be so much more fun than playing Sudoku over and over again on business trips. :)

I'm not really sure. I don't currently own a PSP, but if Soul Calibur, Tekken 6, MGS: Peace Walker and this all get good reviews I might buy one.

I'm just annoyed that there can only be four cars on track, and that there's no Gran Turismo Mode. It seems as though they've sacrificed gameplay just so they can include more cars and tracks. I would have actually preferred a straight port of GT3 (which I'm sure would have been possible).
I'm holding out hope for GT1 and GT2 as PS One Classics.

Maybe we'll get GT3 and 4 as PS2 classics when the next PSP comes along. :P
Well, without the backward compatibility on current PS3s I would not be surprised if they start doing something similar on the PS3 at least.

I'm leaning towards no, but I will see how they have the career set up before I make a final judgement.

I will definately get it! I use my PSP more than just a little game machine. I use it to store car videos I download and watch them on trips, between classes, before I sleep, etc. I always bring it with me too when I am at school and would play with it when there is a a large gap in time between classes. I normally play God of War: chains of olympus since and hide at the same time since I don't want people crowding around me.

GT Mobile will bring more fun to the table since I like racing games.

HELL TO THE YEAH! look i know they should have been working on GT 5 but i need a GT (full) fix as soon as possible. In fact i am buying a PSP-3000 simply for this game

This could be the first game I buy on my psp in 4 years. But if its pretty much GT4 with a few more cars, I might not, seeing as right not im playing prologue as well as GT4.

They might release GT1 or 2 on the PSN, but not until every has already bought the new PSP game.

why does it matter if GT PSP comes out (in relation to GT1 and GT2 PSN) isn't every PS1 classic avalible to be transferred to psp?

Voted yes, getting both GTM and the PSP GO from release as it seem it will tie into GT5 in some ways it will be a great companion on the long way to/from work!

yes i will def. buy it. i will think about a psp go because i share 1 psp already with my gf.
in the video i saw many great cars in the line up even the alfa 155 dtm! and all the other cars.

GT5 will have the custom parts thing so i don't need it in the mobile version there's the quick tune thing like we have now in proloque.

i'm looking foreward!

I dont own a PSP so im currently in the maybe section. If I were to buy one and get GT I would probably get a PSP-3000 as im not overly taken with the PSP Go plus I prefer the buttons on either side of the screen. I kinda need more reasons other than GT to get a PSP.

Robin.

I don't think Sony is going to that anymore since GT Mobile is announced ;)

Maybe for PS3 only :)
If you look at trends you will see this hasn't stopped them on other things. Medievil is a PS One Classic while Medievil Resurrection is a PSP game. I also got Twisted Metal 2 as Twisted Metal: Head On came out. There are also multiple Syphon Filter games out as Classics that were released alongside new PSP titles.

Some current gen console titles has also done similar things.

Past examples show a trend on both the PSN and Nintendo's Virtual Console of using classic titles to build hype for the new title.

GT1 and GT2 will not cut into GT Mobile's market very much at all, and might even sell more copies as they will still be fun, but lack the near GT4 style graphics at 60fps and newer physics system that GT Mobile will supposedly have.

why does it matter if GT PSP comes out (in relation to GT1 and GT2 PSN) isn't every PS1 classic avalible to be transferred to psp?
I believe that he is assuming Sony would think that GT1 and GT2 releases would cut into the GT Mobile market.

Back