Pre order info + new confirmed cars

• Thread starter khkenni
  • 311 comments
That's some crazy logic.

not really, think about it, a livery editor would entail a color wheel or something similar, do you really think you will be applying paint chips to certain parts of your livery for color? the paint chip system is one of the worst features in GT anyway, unless you enjoy scrolling through 3000 chips.

There is no reason to think that a livery editor can not exist with a paint chip system for colors. Paint chip for base color, add some decals, stripes, number plates and you have a custom livery. If it goes a bit deeper allowing the stripes to be colored which could also use paint chips or custom graphics could also use paint chips.

There is no requirement for a color wheel to do custom liveries so the logic and the conclusion are flawed.

So a paint chip used up for the body, for stripes, a decal, another decal, another decal, and another decal...

Honestly, who would want to collect that many paint chips of the same goddamn colours to use for the livery of one car? Hell, imagine repeating this process for all your favorite cars, nevermind one. If they actually went about it this way, it would be safe to say that PD are pretty much insane. :lol:

Which is why it is more likely that there won't be a livery editor, since they revealed the paint chips.

If that was the process, it would at least make it easier to not have thousands of paint chips stored up with no use for them.

not really, think about it, a livery editor would entail a color wheel or something similar, do you really think you will be applying paint chips to certain parts of your livery for color? the paint chip system is one of the worst features in GT anyway, unless you enjoy scrolling through 3000 chips.
And you coulnd't simply have a quick painting system for people who don't want to mess with liveries? Or you couldn't use chips for the base colour of a car?
Or you really couldn't implement some special colours which are only avaible by using paint chips? I could list more options if you want.

No?

The craziest thing they could make is to fully base the livery editor on paint chips. So every little detail would need it's own chip.

:lol:

That would be hilarious.

EDIT: Don't know why I just quoted you...

This is sort of the problem. Most of the solutions to having a livery editor and a paint chip system require some pretty big design flaws to be overlooked by whoever is creating the system at PD.

I agree with Sagaris. Knowing that paint chips will be involved reduces the likelihood of there being a livery editor. Or at least a livery editor similar to what is seen in other game in the genre. Not that it can't still be done, but it's pretty much removes the simplest implementation of a livery editor as an option.

And you coulnd't simply have a quick painting system for people who don't want to mess with liveries? Or you couldn't use chips for the base colour of a car?

Paint chips is the exact opposite of quick painting system. In fact it's the most half arsed way I know of in modern gaming history.

Would it be possible that GT6 will include manufacturer paint chips selectable with drop down menu lists of car models, paint type as preset. Another paint chips selection as custom made and user made ? This will work well with livery editor where user can choose any type of paint - preset + custom + user made. PD might include buying/sell system for paint chips with no limit of usage once owned. This might be a good improvement over GT5 paint system.

The preorder custom paint chips probably just custom color made by PD - we don't know if it will be one time use or no limitation. PD could also include custom made livery to be treated as paint chips to make it simpler for user to send/receive :D

Except the idea of liveries as paint chips (besides continuing the terribad "chips" concept) is bogus, since the very different dimensions of each car means it'd never translate well. Unless these "livery chips" were then locked to the one car, in which case... just call it a livery, and sell/trade/whatever that!

I'm amused. So making a logical conclusion has nothing to do with logic? Interesting.

If he hadn't tried to use logic, it would mean he simply threw something random into play. Which would be quite pointless then, since he tries to show a relation between paint chips and livery editor. If you see no logical aspect in this, then I recommend to look up for the definition of logic.
My bad, I subbed in the definition of "reasoning" for "logic". I know what each word is, I just had a silly moment. :dunce:

But I stick to my claim. I see little sense in having both a livery editor and a paint chip system. Of course, both can be implemented together, but the chances of PD doing a livery editor in any number of ways that are similar to ones currently around are gone. The chances are less now.

Last edited:
Or you really couldn't implement some special colours which are only avaible by using paint chips? I could list more options if you want.

No?

you could, but again that would make little to no sense.

Spagetti69
Paint chips is the exact opposite of quick painting system. In fact it's the most half arsed way I know of in modern gaming history.

As I commented some times before, even if not appropriate for a videogame, the paint chip system is the most correct regarding paint accuracy. That's how it works on most paint shops, as you just choose some other car color to paint yours "e.g. I want the orange from Lamborghini " but the way they were done in GT is wrong because you need to hunt the damn chips. A good system would be the combination of a color wheel together with a paint chip maker, where you can save your own paints with proper namea, and copy the colors of other cars.

I have a bad time on most wheel color paint systems in games if they dont give me the option to save some preset colors. Trying to replicate the same tones again if you need. Is a pain.

So a paint chip used up for the body, for stripes, a decal, another decal, another decal, and another decal...
Actually I was thinking that the decals would likely be a canned color rather than paintable. Stripes may use a paint chip and the car base would use one assuming you want to change it from the existing color.

In Forza for example all of the decals are a fixed color and can not be changed in game. If you want a different color you either have to make it from scratch using shapes or buy/download it from someone else.

I'm not saying this is the way it will be but it could be, the point being that just because they mentioned custom paint chips does not mean that there will or will not be some sort of visual customization. We will just have to wait and see.

Because these cars have "exclusive liveries". Any livery editor worth a damn would be able to reproduce those liveries, thus nullifying the "exclusivity".

Unless perhaps those "exclusive liveries" are made using "exclusive components" that are simply unavailable for regular use in the livery editor?

Say the exclusive liveries are made using a special carbon fiber style paint texture with special chrome stripes and GT decals, if the texture and chrome decals are simply not available for normal use in a "Livery Editor that was worth a damn" wouldn't that then remove the ability to properly reproduce them, thus preserving the "exclusivity" and also allowing us to have a halfway decent livery editor?

I'm not holding my breath for a livery editor, or indeed any kind of detailed car color customization, if they are selling an entire edition of the game largely based on versions of cars with different liveries and custom paint chips. If you want to discern some positive to that effect based on the information in that press release, be my guest.

Indeed, the data between the lines is deeply disappointing. This sort of announcement does not make me want to rush out & pre-order.

First thing i thought when i read, "custom paintchips" is that they wouldn't be customizable, but that they were special paintchips like the DLC ones we got. DLC paint... man, what a concept. Don't know if horse armor is worse.

RE the livery saga.

NFS has a livery editor and with SHIFT special editions, came special cars with special liveries.

Last edited:
RE the livery saga.
NFS has a livery editor, plus unique livers on some cars, and with SHIFT special editions, came special cars with special liveries.

Which you might call..

a Livery Editor
and pre-set Liveries.

It sounds a lot like PD are continuing their general philosophy of taking a simple problem, with an existing well defined solution and then re-inventing the solution while under the influence of psychotropic drugs.

I have been scouring the web for more news on GT6 since it was revealed. Hoping & dreaming that PD would make some sane game design decisions for GT6.

My bubble just burst. :(

This talk could probably take place in the livery thread. What interests me is the words used. These special paint schemes (say stealth sls gt3 as an example) will be available to unlock? So even if were not getting the chance to make our own it seems we can unlock liveries already pre-made. I would be glad to put the carbon fiber 'stealth' look on my race cars.

I hope it doesn't mean these cars won't be in the regular version.
Now that's the problem.
First thing i thought when i read, "custom paintchips" is that they wouldn't be customizable, but that they were special paintchips like the DLC ones we got. DLC paint... man, what a concept. Don't know if horse armor is worse.
Yep, doesn't sound promising at all.

They will:

UPDATE: To clear up any confusion, Ken Chan from SCEA has confirmed in multiple comments on the U.S. PlayStation Blog that all of the above cars will be available in all versions of the game. Pre-ordering simply gives you access to all of these cars from the start and makes their “special visual & performance enhancements” available to you.

Come on, guys. Read the news page. These are just made available to you day 1, in other words it would be unlockable cars etc. that you get to have starting out.

I know this is not the whining thread, but what the hell? I have to buy these 20 exclusive Gamestop cars as DLC, if I will buy it somewhere else. More paint chip dlc? Helmets and suits?

What the ...? I am lost.

I know this is not the whining thread, but what the hell? I have to buy these 20 exclusive Gamestop cars as DLC, if I will buy it somewhere else. More paint chip dlc? Helmets and suits?

What the ...? I am lost.

:ouch: Read above, or the news page! :lol:

Annoyingly this means PD have suck to the crappy paint chips system in GT6. Which also sounds like no livery editor (which would use a HEX palette system).
:-(

Even if you recreate the paint scheme with a livery editor, it still won't have the title in the garage/name. For example the chrome-line cars and edge edition Camaro had the label "Chromeline Edition" and "Edge Edition" respectively on their title, thus retaining its exclusivity and value. The unique performance upgrade may make it more unique.

Hi everybody,
Does someone know whether there will be a signature or collector edition for GT6? I didn't have such edition for GT5 but would like one for GT6; this is probably not known yet, so my question would be: was the signature and collector editions of GT5 available as pre-order, or at least at launch of GT5?

Back