What do you think PD will show at TGS?

• Thread starter sk8er913
  • 579 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that GT5 sold 10 million I really can't see GT6 reaching that same figure, not when the game to the casual fan isn't going to appear very different. Heck, it doesn't appear very different to the fans but that's another topic. I can see sales of GT5 continue on pretty well with the casuals considering the price point compared to the new GT6.

I'm trying to look at things like a casual consumer not the fanboy that I am. I show the limited clips released so far to my non GT5 friends who only play casually on my system and they think it looks absolutely fantastic. I know a couple of other people who are casual gamers who have purchased the GT series before and all they care about are the new tracks and cars, they know nothing about anything we talk about here.

Imagine the commercials leading up to release. Awesome new cars on awesome new tracks. Virtual communities and organized racing leagues. GPS interaction. Course creators 5-10,000 sq. kms. Ronda and other photomode locations. The game will be visually beautiful in commercials and I can see how it'll have a broad appeal to casual fans.

Be nice if you added your own thoughts on what we're supposed to glean from that article.

It won't sell more than 5m.

Source: I come from the future.

I'll take that bet...I'll give you 2 to 1 odds and 1 year of sales...for $1 Million in credits (if we can transfer credits) or up to 4 premium cars totally $1Million. Game?:sly:

The game will be visually beautiful in commercials and I can see how it'll have a broad appeal to casual fans.

That might actually be the hardest sell, as the game will be coming the month after both next-gen systems release, with racing games that will look quite a bit better than GT6. I feel like PD would be better suited focusing on other aspects of their game as selling points 👍

I'm glad Jordan has been able to clarify; while I heard most of the same info straight from him last week, I was unsure what I could get away with saying here; despite there being no mention of embargos, I just wanted to play it safe. Sorry to anybody who might've been confused!

Be nice if you added your own thoughts on what we're supposed to glean from that article.

That rarely happens, it's sort of his thing.

I'll take that bet...I'll give you 2 to 1 odds and 1 year of sales...for $1 Million in credits (if we can transfer credits) or up to 4 premium cars totally $1Million. Game?:sly:

Our bet is still on, no? :P

It's not just the people who go to Pebble Beach or Goodwood or SEMA that PD would be concerned about, it's everyone watching on TV, reading blogs, reading web reviews, the buzz, the buzz, the buzz created by all the 20-40 year olds watching cars they wish they could have but never will, but might get a chance to drive them in a GT game. The vast, vast majority of buyers know nothing about physics, tire models, or even standards and premiums, but they know Goodwood, and they know SEMA and some of the cars and with GT they get to drive those very same cars at places they recongize from real life.

Lets face it the cars (premiums) look fantastic and given the right conditions they look almost real. And, you can play the game on a console 75 Million people already own. That's a fantastic combination for a lot of people.

I'm ok with that idea of making the buzz with people who thinks that videogames are just toys.

But in order to do this, why ignoring the gamer? The people that are supporting since the first game, wich unlike the forties, know how the game handles, and are dying for more informations regarding some new features that are asked to developers for years.

Successor always sells less, and it doesn't help that it's releasing post-next gen, where graphics look prettier, and if we're going to talk about casuals, they would be more attracted to next gen visuals. So yeah, I don't think GT6 will outsell GT5 or exceed 10 million. Also, if it's true that GT7 might come in about 2 years time, I definitely don't see either of that happening.

If any one cares at all, I predict that GT6 sells a maximum of 7.8 million in the 1st year. What I'm actually expecting is 7 million

When it's all said and done with, long after gt7 comes out, there is a CHANCE it reaches 10 million

I quoted,

"You can place a tire on a tire bench to measure its characteristics, and you get a variety of data from that test, but that tire's not exactly the same as a tire that's in an actual race and is heated under those stress conditions. On the other hand we drive the real cars, so we have this immense amount of logging data that came off the cars. We also have a simulator. And it's all about how we balance that triangle between the three. And what we do is exactly the same as what a company like Red Bull Racing does with their cars - they also try to balance that triangle between all three. All the top F1 teams try to do that, but it still results in a huge difference between the teams. There are so many factors, and there are unknowns that aren't really clear."

Yamauchi likes to make comparisons between Polyphony and other motor racing outfits - you sense he has more affinity with them than he does other video game developers.

I merely said, "Interesting," because you and the writer both think the same thing with Jordan concurring :D.

Furthermore, the fact that Jordan agrees (knowing that TGS wouldn't bring any more information about GT6) and seemingly expects motoring events not related to gaming to reveal more is something I find interesting.

That might actually be the hardest sell, as the game will be coming the month after both next-gen systems release, with racing games that will look quite a bit better than GT6. I feel like PD would be better suited focusing on other aspects of their game as selling points 👍

I'm glad Jordan has been able to clarify; while I heard most of the same info straight from him last week, I was unsure what I could get away with saying here; despite there being no mention of embargos, I just wanted to play it safe. Sorry to anybody who might've been confused!

Our bet is still on, no? :P

Our bet is on...I have the post saved:)

The target audience for GT is primarily previous GT buyers and PS3 owners and I believe many of them are just casual gamers and the dramatic visuals available for GT6 will bowl them over. Drive Club may look nice but it's not a driving or racing simulator in the fashion that GT is. I see no other competition on PS3. I think it'll really come down to how quickly PS3 owners adopt PS4 and abandon PS3 which is anybody's guess.

I merely said, "Interesting," because you and the writer both think the same thing with Jordan concurring :D.

Furthermore, the fact that Jordan agrees (knowing that TGS wouldn't bring any more information about GT6) and seemingly expects motoring events not related to gaming to reveal more is something I find interesting.

Interesting could go both ways...:)...thanks for clarifying.

Well, I thought coming off as a loyalist and annoying apologist fanboy wouldn't be necessary, but I added more due to his reply even though there wasn't really any need to say anything about it. It was an observation and I thought it was pretty self-explanatory.

Rarely happens?
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8808452#post8808452

We still don't know what the Mad Catz steering wheel will cost. And we still don't have any information about other steering wheels.
Edit -
I have to add that the only reason I posted in that part of the forum was because, similar to what some are doing with GT6, the hopes and expectations aren't being met so I had to sincerely constructively criticize. I was seriously hoping I could use my G27.

Maybe it's only "rarely" happening recently these last months with people's pessimistic posts and pointless reiterating of the same "jokes" causing me to stop caring about the quality of my posts as much as them, the comedians (we all know comedians base a lot of their content on their struggles and hate, pure hatred).

Last edited:
wowbaggerBR
I'm ok with that idea of making the buzz with people who thinks that videogames are just toys.

But in order to do this, why ignoring the gamer? The people that are supporting since the first game, wich unlike the forties, know how the game handles, and are dying for more informations regarding some new features that are asked to developers for years.

E3,gamescom suggest that he DIDN'T ignore the gamer. Furthermore, its not as if the gamer doesn't have access to coverage of the SEMA show, Silverstone, etc. It's actually a great way for the gamer to broaden THEIR horizons and find themselves deeper into a world that they might have otherwise not have been interested in.

If you truly celebrate the automobile (which you should since that's the basis of GT), then you should get every bit as much enjoyment out of an auto show that you would at a games convention.

E3,gamescom suggest that he DIDN'T ignore the gamer. Furthermore, its not as if the gamer doesn't have access to coverage of the SEMA show, Silverstone, etc. It's actually a great way for the gamer to broaden THEIR horizons and find themselves deeper into a world that they might have otherwise not have been interested in.

If you truly celebrate the automobile (which you should since that's the basis of GT), then you should get every bit as much enjoyment out of an auto show that you would at a games convention.

But it is not the same public.

SEMA won't be full of gaming coverage, so questions about livery editor, sounds and stuff that matters to gamers won't be answered. SEMA will be a place to show yet another trailer, if not the same, with cars that we already know about to forties who don't know that much about games, so they'll end up impressed by the graphic standards of the game.

SEMA won't be full of gaming coverage, so questions about livery editor, sounds and stuff that matters to gamers won't be answered. SEMA will be a place to show yet another trailer, if not the same, with cars that we already know about to forties who don't know that much about games, so they'll end up impressed by the graphic standards of the game.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gtplanets-...cars-dlc-and-the-future-of-polyphony-digital/

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turis...e-kazunori-yamauchis-2012-gtplanet-interview/

Newsflash...."Many "Forties" and indeed "Thirtys" are huge gamers and many have been with the GT series from the beginning. I'd daresay GT has the most mature demographic of any console based videogame.

Newsflash...."Many "Forties" and indeed "Thirtys" are huge gamers and many have been with the GT series from the beginning. I'd daresay GT has the most mature demographic of any console based videogame.

If by "mature" you mean people in their 20s then yes, People who attend these events don't care about gaming in the slightest.

Yeah, but your line of argument has established that PD wants to speak to the kind of people that aren't gamers, but petrolheads on that age:

It's not just the people who go to Pebble Beach or Goodwood or SEMA that PD would be concerned about, it's everyone watching on TV, reading blogs, reading web reviews, the buzz, the buzz, the buzz created by all the 20-40 year olds watching cars they wish they could have but never will, but might get a chance to drive them in a GT game..

wowbaggerBR

I wouldn't rule out sound and livery coverage at a place like SEMA. Keep in mind that they hold a competition in which they pick a custom automobile from each show to be in the game.... Given the nature of the competition, I'd say its a fitting stage for those matters to be discussed. It's only speculation at this point, but its definitely a possibility. Another_jak posted some good examples of matters discussed that wouldn't be according to your assumption.

If you've never heard that old chestnut before, you need to try getting out more.

Type "80% of all statistics are made up" into Google. It's been around for decades at the very least.

You didn't get it, again. It's a back and forth with you that goes on because little jokes like this go over your head. :ouch: To really assume I dont get the "80%" is just sad. Instead of going on believing I lack common sense, you should look at your own replies to see just how low you stoop to remark sarcastically on someone's sarcasm. 💡 If your gtplanet career is to try and have the last word on someone's joke, that imo is the joke. 👍

Anyone here watch SuperGT you can see the Gran Turismo branding on the windshield of all the GT500 cars. This wasn't present last year iirc. Then the Super GT driver on stage at TGS, you can see PD targeting the motorsport enthusiast. And shows like SEMA and Tokyo Auto Salon, PD's presense is targeting the aftermarket crowd. So moving away from the game scene to the automotive scene could be a good move. So long as he doesn't forget his 'gamer' audience.

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule out sound and livery coverage at a place like SEMA. Keep in mind that they hold a competition in which they pick a custom automobile from each show to be in the game.... Given the nature of the competition, I'd say its a fitting stage for those matters to be discussed. It's only speculation at this point, but its definitely a possibility. Another_jak posted some good examples of matters discussed that wouldn't be according to your assumption.

Man, i'm hoping that you are right. And not only we get news, but good ones. Some sort of livery editor, offline event editor and some improvements on sounds.

If by "mature" you mean people in their 20s then yes, People who attend these events don't care about gaming in the slightest.

As I said earlier, it's not the people in attendance that are the target, its the tv, internet, blog etc. buzz they may be after..and that's in the millions of people and many are of the exact target demographic PD is after.

Last edited:

Won't remember it by that time, but sure. There's absolutely no way GT6 will sell 5m copies in one year. Maybe it could reach that point in three with the massive discounts that GT5 saw, not in one.

Will enjoy that pink chrome deltawing so much.

You mean like the sold-out Jalopnik Film Festival, which, by dint of its alcohol policy, was a 21+ event at the Manhattan Car Club? Which was rammed full of people, with a lineup for most of the night to play GT6?

Nope, not in the slightest...

Yeah, but your line of argument has established that PD wants to speak to the kind of people that aren't gamers, but petrolheads on that age:

100% accurate.

Jordan can confirm this, since he has been among the very rare gaming and actually GT-related people invited to the Silverstone event in May. The actual focus was on the journalist from mainstream, lifestyle and automotive media, gaming-focused press was the least present.

However, I still do not understand why would such praxis been seen as negative?

The coverage and influence GT is getting is way beyond usual "gaming". I am deeply positive about the fact how recognition of GT-series has overcome usual "gaming media" and has spread all over actual "real life", especially automotive culture and industry. Not many games will ever accomplish that, if ever.

I can understand many would love to get as much information possible, but it is just not going to happen. I am almost 100% sure that many, many details will become known at the very day when someone get a chance to actually play the game.

However, I really do not understand the criticism towards "information about GT6". I find all descriptions and vast amount of info already available on the official site as example of great communication and good PR. We already had major reveal (Silverstone), we had official demo, GamesCom reveals, Goodwood reveals, 5 trailers (or 4, whatever..)

I agree, it would be great if we would learn TODAY about way A-Spec will be designed, how will B-Spec evolve, how will Tuning work, will there be permanent leaderboards and official matchmaking, how will Course Maker exactly work and will the rumored GPS functionality become a reality, how will GT6 official mobile application work, what is the final list of cars and tracks, what tracks will be part of the announced monthly DLC-packs and under which price, how the sounds will work (with at least 10 in-game youtube replays with samples to bitch about something until December), what will REALLY happen with "GT5 Standard cars" (with both youtube replays and photomode examples, in PNG please and with no compression), have Trial Mountain, Deep Forest and Laguna Seca been updated graphically, what are the new AI algorithms and how do they work (with youtube replays showing Lucas Ordonez fighting AI in standing-start race for 10 laps without ability to actually win further than 4th position) and deep and full breakdown of all online and community features.

But it is just not going to happen.

Polyphony - or any other AAA developer on that matter - does not communicate with hard-core only or separate with casual/mainstream and hard-core. Wishing such is only setting yourself for disappointment.

I am the first who would like to know answers to all questions above. But I know I will not get 95% of them before December. And it would be highly unreasonable to expect it, in my opinion.

We are by the very description and this place where we gather, a highly hard-core audience. And most demanding one. But in the same time, there are 10+ million people outthere who are not. And those are the actual people that are focus of the marketing people and publisher. And it is damn logical it is like that. If it would not be like that, GT would be just another racing game stranded with inability of developer to actually finish the game and get it out of the alpha or beta phase (rFactor 2, pCARS, Assetto Corsa - Assetto Corsa so far being the only one that will be released soon), or small niche-game that somehow found a way to be published but become dedicated only to hardest of hardcore (GameStock Cars, iRacing).

I don't know. Maybe I am too old to understand some complaining, but sometimes I think many do not understand how modern marketing and gaming-industry works.

Also, I guess many simply can't comprehend that without major push to mainstream and casual, there would be no real commercial success for GT series. And without that, sales would plummet. And there will be no more Gran Turismo. And with death of Gran Turismo, driving genre would quickly come back where it was before Gran Turismo. But I guess many here are not old enough to remember that times.

amar212
100% accurate.

Jordan can confirm this, since he has been among the very rare gaming and actually gt-related people invited to the silverstone event in may. The actual focus was on the journalist from mainstream, lifestyle and automotive media, gaming-focused press was the least present.

However, i still do not understand why would such praxis been seen as negative?

The coverage and influence gt is getting is way beyond usual "gaming". I am deeply positive about the fact how recognition of gt-series has overcome usual "gaming media" and has spread all over actual "real life", especially automotive culture and industry. Not many games will ever accomplish that, if ever.

I can understand many would love to get as much information possible, but it is just not going to happen. I am almost 100% sure that many, many details will become known at the very day when someone get a chance to actually play the game.

However, i really do not understand the criticism towards "information about gt6". I find all descriptions and vast amount of info already available on the official site as example of great communication and good pr. We already had major reveal (silverstone), we had official demo, gamescom reveals, goodwood reveals, 5 trailers (or 4, whatever..)

i agree, it would be great if we would learn today about way a-spec will be designed, how will b-spec evolve, how will tuning work, will there be permanent leaderboards and official matchmaking, how will course maker exactly work and will the rumored gps functionality become a reality, how will gt6 official mobile application work, what is the final list of cars and tracks, what tracks will be part of the announced monthly dlc-packs and under which price, how the sounds will work (with at least 10 in-game youtube replays with samples to bitch about something until december), what will really happen with "gt5 standard cars" (with both youtube replays and photomode examples, in png please and with no compression), have trial mountain, deep forest and laguna seca been updated graphically, what are the new ai algorithms and how do they work (with youtube replays showing lucas ordonez fighting ai in standing-start race for 10 laps without ability to actually win further than 4th position) and deep and full breakdown of all online and community features.

Polyphony - or any other aaa developer on that matter - does not communicate with hard-core only or separate with casual/mainstream and hard-core. Wishing such is only setting yourself for disappointment.

I am the first who would like to know answers to all questions above. But i know i will not get 95% of them before december. And it would be highly unreasonable to expect it, in my opinion.

We are by the very description and this place where we gather, a highly hard-core audience. And most demanding one. But in the same time, there are 10+ million people outthere who are not. And those are the actual people that are focus of the marketing people and publisher. And it is damn logical it is like that. If it would not be like that, gt would be just another racing game stranded with inability of developer to actually finish the game and get it out of the alpha or beta phase (rfactor 2, pcars, assetto corsa - assetto corsa so far being the only one that will be released soon), or small niche-game that somehow found a way to be published but become dedicated only to hardest of hardcore (gamestock cars, iracing).

I don't know. Maybe i am too old to understand some complaining, but sometimes i think many do not understand how modern marketing and gaming-industry works.

Also, i guess many simply can't comprehend that without major push to mainstream and casual, there would be no real commercial success for gt series. And without that, sales would plummet. And there will be no more gran turismo. And with death of gran turismo, driving genre would quickly come back where it was before gran turismo. But i guess many here are not old enough to remember that times.

+1000

I agree, it would be great if we would learn TODAY about way A-Spec will be designed, how will B-Spec evolve, how will Tuning work, will there be permanent leaderboards and official matchmaking, how will Course Maker exactly work and will the rumored GPS functionality become a reality, how will GT6 official mobile application work, what is the final list of cars and tracks, what tracks will be part of the announced monthly DLC-packs and under which price, how the sounds will work (with at least 10 in-game youtube replays with samples to bitch about something until December), what will REALLY happen with "GT5 Standard cars" (with both youtube replays and photomode examples, in PNG please and with no compression), have Trial Mountain, Deep Forest and Laguna Seca been updated graphically, what are the new AI algorithms and how do they work (with youtube replays showing Lucas Ordonez fighting AI in standing-start race for 10 laps without ability to actually win further than 4th position) and deep and full breakdown of all online and community features.

Polyphony - or any other AAA developer on that matter - does not communicate with hard-core only or separate with casual/mainstream and hard-core. Wishing such is only setting yourself for disappointment.

I am the first who would like to know answers to all questions above. But I know I will not get 95% of them before December. And it would be highly unreasonable to expect it, in my opinion.

I´ll take only that and I already got the solution...not purchasing the game until people who "risk" to pre-order it and get it on day one, can tell me what it actually brings inside with detail.

I´ll wait...put my low "hype" to rest and forget about Gran Turismo for a while like back in the days (90´s) where you have no idea about the games until the next magazine were published.

For me, right now the info they gave us is not enough to purchase the game.

After GT5 "my standards became Premium".

100% accurate.

Jordan can confirm this, since he has been among the very rare gaming and actually GT-related people invited to the Silverstone event in May. The actual focus was on the journalist from mainstream, lifestyle and automotive media, gaming-focused press was the least present.

However, I still do not understand why would such praxis been seen as negative?

The coverage and influence GT is getting is way beyond usual "gaming". I am deeply positive about the fact how recognition of GT-series has overcome usual "gaming media" and has spread all over actual "real life", especially automotive culture and industry. Not many games will ever accomplish that, if ever.

However, I really do not understand the criticism towards "information about GT6". I find all descriptions and vast amount of info already available on the official site as example of great communication and good PR. We already had major reveal (Silverstone), we had official demo, GamesCom reveals, Goodwood reveals, 5 trailers (or 4, whatever..)

We are by the very description and this place where we gather, a highly hard-core audience. And most demanding one. But in the same time, there are 10+ million people outthere who are not. And those are the actual people that are focus of the marketing people and publisher. And it is damn logical it is like that. If it would not be like that, GT would be just another racing game stranded with inability of developer to actually finish the game and get it out of the alpha or beta phase (rFactor 2, pCARS, Assetto Corsa - Assetto Corsa so far being the only one that will be released soon), or small niche-game that somehow found a way to be published but become dedicated only to hardest of hardcore (GameStock Cars, iRacing).

I don't know. Maybe I am too old to understand some complaining, but sometimes I think many do not understand how modern marketing and gaming-industry works.

Also, I guess many simply can't comprehend that without major push to mainstream and casual, there would be no real commercial success for GT series. And without that, sales would plummet. And there will be no more Gran Turismo. And with death of Gran Turismo, driving genre would quickly come back where it was before Gran Turismo. But I guess many here are not old enough to remember that times.

Completely Agree, just see games like GTA, we got minimal details, even we know about GTA V gameplay mechanics one moth before release and beofre that just a buch of screenshots and sold pretty pretty well. Yes, I understand, I'm even a quit bite disappointed by the lack of info the TGS, but not just about GT6 (the game we are waiting here) but games in general, In my opinion just one more signal of japanese gaming market debacle, so it sound logial to wait to an event like SEMA in the most important market for games (US) and one of the big events for automotive in general

I'm actually kind of worried that PD is focusing more on non-gaming media. I kinda feel like I'm "on show", as a "gamer", by associating myself with games. Weird. :boggled:

Maybe it's good to pull our heads out of the this small world from time to time, though - get some perspective. Like trying to explain GTA to your Nan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back