2017 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 1,065 comments
Still no word on Montoya, starting to get anxious now,

The hot rumour is that he's either going to do a ride-swap with Josef Newgarden and drive the Ed Carpenter Racing #20 or go to AJ Foyt Enterprises alongside Conor Daly. There's also a rumor that he'll take a year off and dive a 5th Penske car at next year's Indy 500.

I wasn't aware the car needed work, nor that people don't like the top-mount intake, nor that, at least according to those comments on RACER, it was ugly and the DP01 was a beauty by comparison.

Then again I am an idiot.

I mean, opinions can he had, but the Panoz Champcar was the most beautiful North American wheel car out there. To think that we may be getting something like it and making the tank look better is a beautiful thing. :drool:

So how are we looking in terms of the 2013 plan? According to the graph, we should be hitting 236mph .

INDYCARTechLongTerm.png

So how are we looking in terms of the 2013 plan? According to the graph, we should be hitting 236mph .

INDYCARTechLongTerm.png

I doubt they'll be hitting the 236mph barrier for another couple of years given the blowover issues that happened last year and the aero kit freeze for 2017. Maybe once the new universal aero kit arrives in 2018 will we see the speeds possibly start to climb again.

Glad there is an IndyCar thread!!

Few Points:

@ukfan758 @AudiMan2011 - That plan was setup by Derrick Walker who is now know longer apart of the IndyCar Series. I think they were building towards that but realized it wasn`t realistic with the current aero kit package. I believe with the universal CART like kit coming in 2018 I believe the speeds will climb again. I would love the track record to fall but not at the expense of the Indy 500 itself. Since the DW12 was introduced the races have been phenomenal.

- Marco Andretti should not be with any of the top teams in IndyCar. Marco is just not that talented and as the years go by it shows more and more. Everyone says "well the Honda`s aren`t that strong or Andretti Autosport is struggling". Then how is it he gets out paced and out raced every week by his three teammates. Why is it a single car team in Graham Rahal can out pace Marco in a Honda? Why? Because he is just not that good. If his last name was anything but Andretti he would have been looking for a ride years ago. Its a shame Carlos Munoz could be on the outside looking in while Marco wastes a spot in a Andretti Autosport ride.

- I would love to see JPM with Carpeneter or AJ Foyt. I think him being the number 1 driver with either of those teams will really bring out his inner bad ass.

- This would be my ideal DRIVER/TEAM CHART for 2017 (I make this with the idea I know some guys are locked into rides)

• Ganassi - Dixon, TK, Chilton, Kimball - Could the Honda switch be a good or bad thing?
  • Andretti - RHR , Rossi, Andretti, Veach - Think its time Veach gets his shot
  • Aj Foyt - Montoya , Munoz - These two together could be deadly especially with Chevy kits
  • Dale Coyne - SeaBass , Daly - I think SeaBass wll make Coyne a fast team this year, I think Daly could learn from SeaBass especially since he didn`t have the experience of having an elite teammate last year
  • ECR - Pigot , Carpenter (Hildebrand for RCs) - Pigot brings money to the table and I think he could snag a podium or two with Carpenter , I don`t see Ed giving up the oval races yet so J.R. would split time
  • KV Carlin - Ed Jones , Piquet (Part time) - If Carlin moves up and teams up with whats left of KV I would like to see Ed Jones be the driver. Carlin has some sponsorship money and Ed Jones brings the Indy Lights scholarship with him , rumors of Piquet running some IndyCar next year
  • RLL - Rahal , Sato - Rahal I believe will still be the top Honda driver next season, I think Sato brings his money with him to RLL since they are one of the remaining Honda teams that could offer a 2nd car
  • SPM - Hinchcliffe , Aleshin , - I would like this team to stay two cars because I think they are on the cusp of winning some races. I think adding a 3rd car would be too much
  • Penske - Newgarden, Pagenaud , Power, Castroneves - I think Penske will take 90% of the wins next year and Newgarden dominates like Pagenaud did this year.

Indy 500 HOPEFULS

I would love to see the following guys run the Indy 500 next year

• Zanardi
  • Hildebrand
  • Rice
  • Serralles
  • Piquet
  • Veach
  • Tagliani
  • Urrutia

My 2017 IndyCar Field Predictions
Chip Ganassi Racing: Dixon, Kanaan, Kimball, Montoya--I see the Carlin deal happening with KV almost out of necessity, and they'll likely lure Chilton there. This leaves the door open for Montoya to return to Ganassi.
Andretti Autosport: Hunter-Reay, Andretti, Rossi, Sato, Bell (Indy 500)--Sato is one of Honda's favorites, and Andretti needs funding to make that fourth seat happen. An engine rebate and Sato's sponsorship outside of ABC Supply could step in.
AJ Foyt Enterprises: Munoz, Chaves, Tagliani (Indy 500)--Not much to say. Munoz is a race winner, and Foyt likes that. Chaves is young like Hawksworth and could be something Foyt gambles on.
Dale Coyne Racing: Bourdais, Daly, Mann (Indy 500)--Coyne have come a long way from being a back marking team two years ago. Daly brought a lot of life to the team, and with a consistent winner in Bourdais coming back, Dale Coyne might not be too bad.
Ed Carpenter Racing: Hildebrand, Carpenter/Pigot--Pigot and Hildebrand both bring money. But while Pigot brings money for himself, Hildebrand's sponsor has routinely supported the whole team the last couple years. I see Hildebrand getting the nod.
KV Carlin: Chilton, Jones--As mentioned earlier, Carlin advancing to IndyCar likely means they'll want Max as a nice measuring stick. Max did decent in his rookie year and Trever Carlin likely noticed. Jones winning Indy Lights will likely make Carlin want to pull him up as well, and Carlin's an attractive name for sponsors, so they could make it happen.
Rahal Letterman Lannigan Racing: Rahal, TBD--The strategy of having a single full time car has worked very well for Graham. He's inarguably in his best period of his career right now, so why change? Plus, their Indy 500 entry likely won't matter anyways.
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports: Hinchcliffe, Aleshin, Servia (Indy 500)--Schmidt said himself the lineup for 2017 wouldn't be much different from 2016. They wanted a third full time car, but Ganassi moving to Honda ruined that.
Team Penske: Pagenaud, Newgarden, Castroneves, Power--Scary group these four are, which makes a Ganassi championship seem more like a fantasy at this point. Not much to say really.

Additional Indy 500 Entries
Pippa Mann--Just because Susan G. Komen. Anyone tell her Indy isn't run in October? No? Okay.
Katherine Legge--More a personal wish. We need a good female driver now that Simona is locked up for three years in Australia. Someone please get her in this.
Sage Karam--I really don't like him, but he's quick as hell, which means someone will still pick him up.
Townsend Bell--He's been good the last few years. I see him coming back easily.
Oriol Servia--He's a consistent driver. Not extremely aggressive, but a great support driver.
Alex Tagliani--Proof that one Indy 500 pole can get you quite far in the Brickyard. Outside the Brickyard...
Buddy Lazier--He's running his own team, and despite being a backmarker, he somehow keeps getting funding to come back.
Nelson Piquet Jr.--Another wish. It'd be cool to see what he could do in Indy. He was decent in Trucks and Xfinity.
Jack Hawksworth
Stefan Wilson

@Angel

Ganassi - I would love to JPM head back to Ganassi but the big issue is $$$$$. JPM will not drive for anything less than being a paid driver . I don`t think Ganassi has the budget to pay for him. Only reason Chilton was there was because he brought money with him. I think Chilton will stay with Ganassi, I think he knows that Ganassi is a top ride.

Andretti - Sato to AA seems realistic. Brings money and that seems to be the requirement for that fourth car.

AJ FOYT - Love Munoz at foyt, I think it would be a great combination. If Foyt has the money Chaves would be a good fit but won`t win races. I think JPM would be a better fit here. Especially since he would be a pay driver.

Dale Coyne - Couldn`t agree more!

ECR - I think Pigot will be the guy in the full time seat. I think he is a bit more marketable and I think he brings bit more than JR. Either way having those two with ECR for more than the 500 is a good thing for IndyCar.

KV Carlin - I think Jones would be a lock here. I think if Chilton takes his money to Ganassi it will be a step back for him and will likely result in a lower points standings finish than last year. Although he did have some success in Indy Lights with them.

RLL - Graham is a legitimate championship contender, especially once there`s a universal aero kit.

SPM -
I think the Hinch-Aleshin combo is a potential winning combination. I would bet Aleshin wins his first race next season.

Team Penske - yup lol

INDY 500
- Mann is a lock because of her sponsor and she holds her own at Indy.
- Legge is a fan favorite and would love to see her get a ride.
- Bell is a lock , especially with him almost winning the 100th
- Servia is a ? mark for sure. He has been in talks of a potential full time ride for next season.
- Tags is fast and will be with AJ again I`m sure.
- Piquet I think will be part time in 2017 and will find an Indy 500 seat. He reminds me of a Brazilian Robby Gordon.
- I hope Hawksworth is done with Indycar, seems to just get in the way.
- I think Wilson brings enough money for a one off at Indy.
- As long as Buddy can find the money he will be at Indy.
- I see one or two NASCAR guys making the trip to Indy this year.

LOVE BEING ABLE TO TALK INDYCAR!! THERE AREN`T A LOT OF US OUT THERE!

Servia has been on the cusp of full time, like Briscoe. They just don't have the sponsorship money to make it happen full time. Having someone like Larson or Keselowski run double duty would be great for both series. Unlikely I think, but not impossible. Hawksworth, in my opinion, wasn't ready to be called up when BHA pulled him up, and he's just gone backwards it feels. I see someone picking him up for the experience factor, but he isn't good by any definition. Servia was hoping SPM would get a third seat, because he fit in well with Hinch and Mikhail, who remains as my bae in IndyCar.

Same issue that has been lingering over IndyCar for the past 5-6 seasons. Tons of good drivers but no seats. It costs way too much money to have an IndyCar team only to earn $30,000 for a win.

My 2017 IndyCar Field Predictions
Chip Ganassi Racing: Dixon, Kanaan, Kimball, Montoya--I see the Carlin deal happening with KV almost out of necessity, and they'll likely lure Chilton there. This leaves the door open for Montoya to return to Ganassi.
Andretti Autosport: Hunter-Reay, Andretti, Rossi, Sato, Bell (Indy 500)--Sato is one of Honda's favorites, and Andretti needs funding to make that fourth seat happen. An engine rebate and Sato's sponsorship outside of ABC Supply could step in.
AJ Foyt Enterprises: Munoz, Chaves, Tagliani (Indy 500)--Not much to say. Munoz is a race winner, and Foyt likes that. Chaves is young like Hawksworth and could be something Foyt gambles on.
Dale Coyne Racing: Bourdais, Daly, Mann (Indy 500)--Coyne have come a long way from being a back marking team two years ago. Daly brought a lot of life to the team, and with a consistent winner in Bourdais coming back, Dale Coyne might not be too bad.
Ed Carpenter Racing: Hildebrand, Carpenter/Pigot--Pigot and Hildebrand both bring money. But while Pigot brings money for himself, Hildebrand's sponsor has routinely supported the whole team the last couple years. I see Hildebrand getting the nod.
KV Carlin: Chilton, Jones--As mentioned earlier, Carlin advancing to IndyCar likely means they'll want Max as a nice measuring stick. Max did decent in his rookie year and Trever Carlin likely noticed. Jones winning Indy Lights will likely make Carlin want to pull him up as well, and Carlin's an attractive name for sponsors, so they could make it happen.
Rahal Letterman Lannigan Racing: Rahal, TBD--The strategy of having a single full time car has worked very well for Graham. He's inarguably in his best period of his career right now, so why change? Plus, their Indy 500 entry likely won't matter anyways.
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports: Hinchcliffe, Aleshin, Servia (Indy 500)--Schmidt said himself the lineup for 2017 wouldn't be much different from 2016. They wanted a third full time car, but Ganassi moving to Honda ruined that.
Team Penske: Pagenaud, Newgarden, Castroneves, Power--Scary group these four are, which makes a Ganassi championship seem more like a fantasy at this point. Not much to say really.

Additional Indy 500 Entries
Pippa Mann--Just because Susan G. Komen. Anyone tell her Indy isn't run in October? No? Okay.
Katherine Legge--More a personal wish. We need a good female driver now that Simona is locked up for three years in Australia. Someone please get her in this.
Sage Karam--I really don't like him, but he's quick as hell, which means someone will still pick him up.
Townsend Bell--He's been good the last few years. I see him coming back easily.
Oriol Servia--He's a consistent driver. Not extremely aggressive, but a great support driver.
Alex Tagliani--Proof that one Indy 500 pole can get you quite far in the Brickyard. Outside the Brickyard...
Buddy Lazier--He's running his own team, and despite being a backmarker, he somehow keeps getting funding to come back.
Nelson Piquet Jr.--Another wish. It'd be cool to see what he could do in Indy. He was decent in Trucks and Xfinity.
Jack Hawksworth
Stefan Wilson

If I have interpreted what's be printed and said in interviews, Simona has been signed to VASC as a development driver for the V6TT type engine, not signed to a team or manufacturer, no word who is supplying the engine either from what I've seen, even still I've not reviewed the calendars of VASC and IndyCar side by side, assuming the dates dont clash she could still do the 500,

If I have interpreted what's be printed and said in interviews, Simona has been signed to VASC as a development driver for the V6TT type engine, not signed to a team or manufacturer, no word who is supplying the engine either from what I've seen, even still I've not reviewed the calendars of VASC and IndyCar side by side, assuming the dates dont clash she could still do the 500,

Simona is a perfect example of a driver that slipped away because of the craziness that is IndyCar. She loves IndyCar but she was tired of waiting. I`m sure if she can she will run Indy but she doesn`t bring much money.

Simona is a perfect example of a driver that slipped away because of the craziness that is IndyCar. She loves IndyCar but she was tired of waiting. I`m sure if she can she will run Indy but she doesn`t bring much money.
She brings loads of money. She kept HVM afloat. She is Switzerland's female excuse to throw money at a sport that to my knowledge is still illegal to host in the country. Nuclear Entergy, TE Connectivity, both pay massive dollars to put her in the cars she's been in. It's a matter of finding a good team instead of the back.

She brings loads of money. She kept HVM afloat. She is Switzerland's female excuse to throw money at a sport that to my knowledge is still illegal to host in the country. Nuclear Entergy, TE Connectivity, both pay massive dollars to put her in the cars she's been in. It's a matter of finding a good team instead of the back.

It just amazes me how she couldn't get a top ride. Way more talented than Danica ever was and could have won races.

Ganassi need to get another Top driver, Dixon is one of the best on the grid but he has been the only driver that's looked like a championship threat for years now in the team, and with that Penske lineup it will be difficult.

The problem is the only drivers worth getting not in Penske right now are Montoya(allegedly) who might come back with form next year, and Rahal who I doubt will leave his Family team, maybe time they steal a driver from Penske(Power maybe??).

If someone like Kevin Magnussen doesn't get the Renault seat in F1 next year I would be all over that if I was them.

Ganassi need to get another Top driver, Dixon is one of the best on the grid but he has been the only driver that's looked like a championship threat for years now in the team, and with that Penske lineup it will be difficult.

The problem is the only drivers worth getting not in Penske right now are Montoya(allegedly) who might come back with form next year, and Rahal who I doubt will leave his Family team, maybe time they steal a driver from Penske(Power maybe??).

If someone like Kevin Magnussen doesn't get the Renault seat in F1 next year I would be all over that if I was them.

Magnussen doesn't seem to care much for IndyCar as an option. Rahal isn't going anywhere. I thinks there's a few good options for teams. You have JPM, Pigot, Munoz, Enerson, And Jones. (I guess you can include Sato)

Back