2017 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 1,065 comments
I read Juan Pablo Montoya will race in 2017, but only at the 2017 Indianapolis 500. JPM just seemed real off last season though winning the first race of last season (I think he won). I still can't believe this guy is in his 40s! The Colombian was maybe a mid-20s fellow when I first followed him in 1999.

you could say the same about Max Chilton.

Sato does deserve a ride but not as much as jpm. Foyt was a tough place to be last year but he was good at Rahal a few years
ago

@Kingofweasles - Yes, Max didn`t really show much speed this year. Although I saw him pass a lot of cars at Watkins Glen which was fun to watch.

@RHODRIEWILLIAMS - JPM got exactly what he deserved because that`s what he wanted. He would have been full time with AJ or ECR but he would rather run one race with Penske and run in their sports car program when it starts. I think Sato`s time in IndyCar should be up but he brings big money and that`s all that matters. I personally like Sato because he does have speed and he`s great with fans. Hoping maybe Andretti can be the change of scenery he needs.

Ed Jones will be joining Sebastian Bourdais at Dale Coyne for 2017 according to racer. This is the first time I can recall DCR not waiting until the season opener to announce their lineup. So, the field currently looks like this.
AJ Foyt Enterprises-Chevrolet
TBD: Conor Daly (USA)
TBD: Carlos Munoz (COL)
Andretti Autosport-Honda
#26: Takuma Sato (JPN)
#27: Marco Andretti (USA)
#28: Ryan Hunter-Reay (USA)
#98: Alexander Rossi (USA)
Chip Ganassi Racing-Honda
#8: TBD
#9: Scott Dixon (NZL)
#10: Tony Kanaan (BRA)
#83: Charlie Kimball (USA)
Dale Coyne Racing-Honda
#18: Sebastien Bourdais (FRA)
#19: Ed Jones (UAE)
Ed Carpenter Racing-Chevrolet
#20: Ed Carpenter (USA)/TBD
#21: J.R. Hildebrand (USA)
KV Racing-Chevrolet
#11: TBD
Rahal Letterman Lannigan Racing-Honda
#15: Graham Rahal (USA)
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports-Honda
#5: James Hinchcliffe (CAN)
#7: Mikhail Aleshin (RUS)
Team Penske-Chevrolet
#1: Simon Pagenaud (FRA)
#2: Josef Newgarden (USA)
#3: Helio Castroneves (BRA)
#12: Will Power (AUS)

Two big dominoes left to fall at KV and surprisingly at CGR. Interested to see who will fill those seats. Note: The list above is specifically for the full time slots. Both Penske as well as Dreyer and Reinbold have confirmed a Indy only entry, with Montoya in the Penske seat and assumingly someone like Sage Karam or Ryan Briscoe in DRR's seat if neither sign with Ganassi.

Surprised about the Ed Jones deal with DCR and would have preferred RC and expected him to go into the 20 going by what ECR did last season.

Last edited:
Great few days for INDYCAR!!!! Americans are finally locking seats up, the Indy Lights champion has a full time ride, and AJ Foyt is going to be a bad fast team next year in Chevy`s with Daly and soon to be confirmed Munoz!!.

Here is some music to listen to while reading about Jack becoming a Ex-Indycar driver.

As much as that song is awesome...I don't blame him though. I think Honda was the least of Foyt's problems last year. That team was ****. The #14 was bad (had sparks of hope), and the #41 was worse.

As much as that song is awesome...I don't blame him though. I think Honda was the least of Foyt's problems last year. That team was ****. The #14 was bad (had sparks of hope), and the #41 was worse.
The one thing you absolutely do not do is air it out in public and start blaming the crew for your lack of success. You can bet it wont take long for the guys working on the crew for the Lexus team to read that and know that guy is a douche and will blame us for everything that is wrong with the car.

I think the biggest issue of all was the lack of speed with Hawksworth and the fact Sato struggled to finish races. With Chevy and two drivers who can run up front I expect Foyts team to really have a good year.

The one thing you absolutely do not do is air it out in public and start blaming the crew for your lack of success. You can bet it wont take long for the guys working on the crew for the Lexus team to read that and know that guy is a douche and will blame us for everything that is wrong with the car.
The way it read to me (just opinion frankly, so meh) did not sound like he had a problem with the engineers, more so the people pushing money around. I'll read it again when I'm more awake but personally, the blame placed was pretty visible to begin with (pit crew for one).

I think the biggest issue of all was the lack of speed with Hawksworth and the fact Sato struggled to finish races. With Chevy and two drivers who can run up front I expect Foyts team to really have a good year.
Hopefully for Daly's sake, really want to see him do well.

Side note,
The IndyCar youtube channel is uploading full length old races again like it did in last years off season, very good quality as well,

Are they still allowing fans to vote which races go up on the channel? Because I recall that being part of the upload process last year.

I dont know,

OK, thanks. I remember it was a thing because one of the races that could've gone up ended up getting pulled within 24 hours due to it being rare footage and/or footage that Indycar itself didn't own the rights to.

Except he's not blaming the crew if you actually read into the article.

Last edited:
Except he's not blaming the crew if you actually read into the article.
What are those guys called that do those terrible pit stops, over and over again.

And that was the stuff that scuppered us. We missed the basics. You can't have poor pit stop after poor pit stop after poor pitstop, or mechanical after mechanical after mechanical, and expect to make progress.

What are those guys called that do those terrible pit stops, over and over again.

And that was the stuff that scuppered us. We missed the basics. You can't have poor pit stop after poor pit stop after poor pitstop, or mechanical after mechanical after mechanical, and expect to make progress.

I see you missed this part:

I have no problem with any of the engineering staff at Foyt – there are a lot of clever guys there, actually. The guy I worked with this past year [Daniele Cucchiaroni] was very good; he had a lot of good ideas. Even if you look at the way the cars rolled off the truck – regularly, we'd be in the top five in practice, we'd qualify quite well, but as the weekend went on, invariably the wheels would fall off. But it wasn't down to the engineers not knowing how to set the car up, or anything like that. It was just down to everything being on the limit from an organizational point of view.

Saying they are missing the pit stops isn't "Blaming the Crew". In fact, here's what he actually says is the problem:

It's the fundamentals of the team that are poor. If you have reliability issues at every race, it doesn't matter how clever an engineer you are, or what set-up you put on the car. If stuff's breaking, or you ask to have this put on the car and instead something else is put on the car, it doesn't matter if you have the best engineer in the world.

Besides, the team is horrible. This isn't just him throwing a hissy fit like you are making it out to be, its a fact that basically all of us know and the fact that even a certain driver had a far better season with another team before joining this only proves it.

Last edited:
I see you missed this part:
Nope I read it.

Saying they are missing the pit stops isn't "Blaming the Crew". In fact, here's what he actually says is the problem:
Those guys that screwed up all of those pits stops and installed the wrong parts on the car are called what?

Besides, the team is horrible. This isn't just him throwing a hissy fit like you are making it out to be, its a fact that basically all of us know and the fact that even a certain driver had a far better season with another team before joining this only proves it.
2014- 17th in points at Herta
2015- 17th in points at Foyt
2015- Chaves 15th in points in the Herta car
2016- Rossi Indy 500 champion in the Herta car.

So Herta improved w/o Hawk and Foyt regressed with him. 💡 Yep it's all the teams fault, losers.:dunce:

Those guys that screwed up all of those pits stops and installed the wrong parts on the car are called what?

The guys putting on the parts are the mechanics, which aren't the same people doing the pit stops.

Again, he's not outright trashing his crew and if the team his with would read, he actually is praising them in the same article for them giving him a better environment. "Other team was like this and hard to work with" doesn't always equate to a team throwing a hissy fit.

Also if you read, he actually mentions that both he and others in the team had asked for changes yet didn't get them. If anything, that appears to be a problem higher up and not with the Crew.

So Herta improved w/o Hawk and Foyt regressed with him. 💡 Yep it's all the teams fault, losers.:dunce:

1 win and nothing but many wrecked cars later. Not exactly "Better".

Last edited:
The guys putting on the parts are the mechanics, which aren't the same people doing the pit stops.

Again, he's not outright trashing his crew and if the team his with would read, he actually is praising them in the same article for them giving him a better environment. "Other team was like this and hard to work with" doesn't always equate to a team throwing a hissy fit.

Also if you read, he actually mentions that both he and others in the team had asked for changes yet didn't get them. If anything, that appears to be a problem higher up and not with the Crew.

This isnt NASCAR were they have a special group of former athletes that shows up to just to do pit stops, they also work on the car. http://www.indycar.com/Fan-Info/INDYCAR-101/The-Teams/Anatomy-Of-A-Pit-Stop http://www.foytracing.com/index.php/team#the-crew

No matter what the agrument is. Jack Hawksworth should have been removed from the ride and should`nt have a ride. He has proven nothing in two years at Foyt. Sato has proven that the Foyt team can supply fast cars but he ends up wrecking them lol. This team is now worth talking about when it comes to wins and podiums. Chevy kits and two fast young drivers. Should be fun to watch Foyt next year.

Believe what you will then. I'm not convinced a manufacturer switch and two new drivers will do much. 1 win with Sato (when he didn't wreck a car) was all they could do, I doubt two fast American drivers will do more for them.

But sure, lets believe America has been made great again.

And most of the guys that work on the cars in NASCAR also pit the car. Maybe a few guys that don`t.
Not for 20 yrs. The infamous rainbow warriors were the start of the change to former college athletes being hired to only do pit stops. There is no top level team in NASCAR that still uses mechanics for pit stops.

There were certain things that needed to change there – especially on the 41 side of the garage – which I had asked for, and which everybody on the team was pushing for

Totally laying blame, guys. Lets forgot the part where he praised his race engineer, he's totally laying smack on the crew.

Last edited:
Back