2021 Formula 1 Calendar threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 364 comments
All I can say is BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT. The location is questionable and the track is horrible. This isn't what we want to see, this is a disaster waiting to happen and it has to be stopped before someone gets seriously injured or even killed. A big event like a GP is guaranteed to cause a ruckus in such an unstable country, where we just recently saw a missile headed towards the Formula E podium. Does the FIA really want to risk the safety of the teams and drivers? Come on everybody, call this ******** out!

It's gonna be amazing to watch cars in quali, but like everybody said, total snoozefest in the race. Best we can hope for is multiple safety cars, but with no way to overtake the tension is just going to be temporary at best.

Also, it seems that they are building an actual permanent circuit somewhere else, so this is just a temporary measure until that track is completed.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-street-track-was.6YxLwaGrdFVsvLkgfyNZoi.html

Bagging on Tilke is certainly getting old, I can agree, however it still boggles my mind that there are four blokes currently certified to design an F1 circuit, and of them only Tilke has ever been called up to the job.

My suspicion is because he is focused on the total grand Prix experience, he builds these big grandstands and facilities that the old school circuits simply didn't have. He integrates his grandstands and paddocks into the available space arguably better than he does his corners. It kind of makes sense that F1 continues to draw on him, on that basis...

...but it really does make you wonder what the hell the other three chaps are bringing to the table.

I just learned the other day that Tilke made this track called Bilster Berg. It's one hell of an old school track, with proper tricky corners and undulations. IMO I think the criticism towards him is a bit misplaced. This guy knows how to design a good track, problem is there is only so much you can do if the site topography and F1 track requirements makes it impossible to do so.

Last edited:
The layout of most circuits have historically grown from other uses. In the UK they've all either been airfield perimeter roads, old motorcycle dirt tracks or access roads through parkland. I imagine the origins of well established circuits elsewhere in the world will be broadly similar, with the addition of some just purely based on the use of public roads linking villages.

If you're starting from a clean sheet a track is bound to seem a bit featureless and clinical. Added to that the modern regulations on run-off and minimum circuit length and the need to fit it all in within a limited space and you can see why the Tilke era tracks are often labelled as boring or characterless.

There has been some proper press releases about the redesign of Albert Park. Turns 1, 2 and (somehow on this picture) 13 have had the track widened on the inside by a few metres, while Turn 6 has had its apex moved over 7m to the right, vastly increasing its speed. Turn 9 and 10 has obviously been removed, while Turn 11 is now a tighter corner with the apex moved further on down the road.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...rt-park-circuit-5.6usfQo5O6o4KsVi3WTAqFA.html

Melbourne-Support-Pits-2021.afb3dbd2bd5281cfdc57a8d55c03de80.png

A rare, rare, rare occurance with a track being increased in speed. In particular, the removal of the chicane; it's a complete inversion of track editing over the past 40 years where chicanes have been added to slow cars down approaching 'high-speed' corners or replacing such corners all together. It is returning to its original configuration in an ever so slight way.

I like Albert Park. I look forward to better races.

A rare, rare, rare occurance with a track being increased in speed. In particular, the removal of the chicane; it's a complete inversion of track editing over the past 40 years where chicanes have been added to slow cars down approaching 'high-speed' corners or replacing such corners all together. It is returning to its original configuration in an ever so slight way.

I like Albert Park. I look forward to better races.

I think FIA finally realised after Bahrain Outer that the only way to increase overtaking with modern F1 cars, is to basically have a slipstream battle all race long.

That, or reduce grip levels significantly ala Portimao or Turkey. But having almost every driver sbinalla often doesn't look good for TV I suppose :lol:

South Africa may be back on the calendar soon-ish.

In a video on F1’s official YouTube channel, Stefano answered “StefaYES” or “StefaNO” (we see what you did there, F1) to questions about the future of F1. Obviously, some were more revealing than others, and they’ve got us very excited about his plans for the next few years in F1.

When asked if there would be a race in Africa in the next five years, Stefano simply said “StefaYES” and moved on. He’s clearly very confident about this.

Kyalami was recently brought up to Grade 2, and it appears that plans to get it to Grade 1 are in the works. And it's a circuit that actually has a lot of F1 history to it, so going back there would make sense.

The planned second race in the US is apparently happening within the next three years as well. I can't wait for the much-anticipated return of the Caesar's Palace Parking Lot Grand Prix! :dopey:

If the track's good enough for a good race, sure. I'm not sure if Kyalami would suit the aero-dependant cars of today but I seem to recall it has at least a little bit of elevation and sweeps?

If the track's good enough for a good race, sure. I'm not sure if Kyalami would suit the aero-dependant cars of today but I seem to recall it has at least a little bit of elevation and sweeps?

It's mostly a medium-high speed corner track, so probably not great for cars following each other. Having said that there are at least 3 hairpins where overtaking is possible. I used to hate this track because I prefer the flowing old Kyalami more, but after driving it a lot in ACC I've grown to like it. Every corner is different and the elevation creates lots of tricky blind apexes as well. Also the penultimate corner is deceptively tricky. It looks like an easy kink but there is a nasty sausage kerb on the apex. You gotta get as close as possible for a good laptime but get too close and you're gone.

When they redesigned Kyalami a couple of years ago with the longer start straight and the penultimate chicane turned into the kink mentioned above, it definitely improved the track a lot and made it feel like an F1 race would now work there. It'd be tricky to pass, but it's also tricky to pass at the Hungaroring, and they still manage to race each other there. It'd be great to see it back on the calendar. Just at the expense of a crap circuit like Sochi, Mexico or Abu Dhabi, not a good one like Portimao, Montreal, COTA or Hockenheim (oh wait...)

I know it's only a render, but the track which is to be built on a flat, featureless parking lot with walls has the appearance of a flat, featureless parking lot with walls.

Last edited:
Without that awful slow chicane between two slow corners, it'd almost be decent.
But in reality, it can best be described as "better than Jeddah or Hanoi", which admittedly isn't a high bar to be set.
I'm just sad that we get another flat street circuit instead of visiting one of the many fantastic real circuits in America. Heck, I'd even take the Homestead-Miami infield track over this.

Also, what is it with recent Street Circuits and having wiggly straights? We saw from Valencia that all they did was make camera angles hard and reduced visibility for drivers to see danger far ahead. Can we stop creating zones for similar Bottas/Russell crashes please?

Not even Jan Hammer or Giorgio Moroder could make this exciting.

:lol: I actually watched the pilot episode of Miami Vice last night, for the first time since it originally aired. I think i need to dig out the episode they did around the Miami GP - when it was an IMSA race, had some great shots of Group Cs and IMSA GTPs racing if i remember rightly.

I'd prefer they use an alternate layout at Paul Ricard. Try something different. Use the fast chicane for T1-2, remove the chicanes on the backstraight and use the tight hairpin after Signes instead of the long double right hander. Basically almost Bahrain Outer V2.

According to F1, Turkey is off the calendar. As a result, French GP moves a week up and Austria will host a double header.

Back