GT Sport Update v1.43 Arrives August 27, Adds Five New Cars And Rain

• Thread starter VeeDoubleU
  • 423 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s not the vibe I’m getting from today’s discussion. Many people are unsurprisingly caught off guard by the fact that Spa isn’t coming tomorrow. There have been several factors to support the notion it would. You’re blowing the “crying and whining” part out of proportion. Those who looked forward to rain and the cars are still looking forward. Those who didn’t are just disappointed about Spa taking longer than expected. No wonder the discussion is influenced by it, but let’s not pretend that general opinion has suddenly experience a complete turnaround.
Nothing is ever confirmed until PD says so. All we have is a bunch of assumptions until then.

Seems the licensing for Spa might have something to do with the f1 race schedule, maybe they can only use the track after this years race weekend who knows what the licensing conditions are? Im crossing my fingers there is some actual new tarmac for tomorrows update something unexpected & fresh like Autopolis was earlier in the year...

Kind of ironic that last year's August update introduced Red Bull Ring, and this year adds wet conditions to it :)

True, I didn't really word my comment properly. Has a standard non WRX Impreza ever even been in a video game? I don't remember a non Evo Lancer being in one either (not counting the 80's one in Gt4).
Only game that comes to mind is the original Need for Speed Underground.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

There's also the Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS in the original Forza Motorsport.

Only game that comes to mind is the original Need for Speed Underground.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
Of course it had to be the one PS2 era NFS game I haven't played yet :lol:. Interesting that UG2 dropped both for their performance versions.

Nothing is ever confirmed until PD says so. All we have is a bunch of assumptions until then.

Wasn’t trying to suggest otherwise, but it’s not unreasonable to use previous patterns as a rationale for expectations. It’s the broken pattern that has led to disappointment for many.

One thing PD has teased at the last 2 live events is the upgraded rolling start where cars are 2-wide instead of single file. That could be an interesting feature if it gets released.
It's my favorite rolling start format. The closest we have are the ovals/BB and that is for the sake of it.

One thing PD has teased at the last 2 live events is the upgraded rolling start where cars are 2-wide instead of single file. That could be an interesting feature if it gets released.
I thought I saw the being able to control the car with this new system. Anyone else notice this, or is it still auto drive and auto start?

Of course it had to be the one PS2 era NFS game I haven't played yet :lol:. Interesting that UG2 dropped both for their performance versions.

I believe between the development of Underground 1 and 2 that Subaru and Mitsubishi respectively began to import STIs and Evolution VIIIs to the US, so it could be that the license holders wanted the publicity from having the hero models in the game.

I would imagine they are creating cars at a high higher resolution and detail than the PS4 can handle, hence the time to create them. If so they they all should roll over into the next GT with little or no effort.

I'm sure I read something about them doing that but cant find the link.

You can read about them doing that since Gran Turismo 4. It's never actually worked in practise.

To be fair though, we're starting to get to the point of serious diminishing returns on improving car models so I could definitely buy that PS4 assets will be used directly on PS5. But that's not because they're creating super-high quality versions and scaling them back, that's just because current versions are good enough to not really benefit much from further refinement.

You can read about them doing that since Gran Turismo 4. It's never actually worked in practise.

To be fair though, we're starting to get to the point of serious diminishing returns on improving car models so I could definitely buy that PS4 assets will be used directly on PS5. But that's not because they're creating super-high quality versions and scaling them back, that's just because current versions are good enough to not really benefit much from further refinement.
But if PS5 is that more powerful than the PS4 as people suggest...

... then it becomes more about which human eyes can see that much clearer. Someone with 20/20 vision may see vast improvements and others that use glasses to focus may only see a minor difference. Basically.

This is outrageous, it's unfair. How could they show us Spa and not have it in the next update?

This isn't a serious comment is it? "Outrageous" and "unfair"? :rolleyes: It's a free update that will be here before we know it. We saw rain was coming a couple updates ago and now we have it. And we will get Spa in a short amount of time too. I know it is crazy for me to say this in any interweb's forum, but let's try to keep things in perspective here. :)

Last edited:
... then it becomes more about which human eyes can see that much clearer. Someone with 20/20 vision may see vast improvements and others that use glasses to focus may only see a minor difference. Basically.
We will see

Then what? There's only so much detail that your eyes can see, or that your screen can display.

At some point, additional detail is invisible unless you're right up against it. I'd argue that we're actually well past that point already, so unless your racing is mostly two inches from the bumper of the car in front, increases in model detail are pointless. What becomes meaningful is improvements to materials, lighting and textures, which can work just fine with older meshes. If they have extra power, I'd suggest that they'd be better off putting that to use fleshing out the race tracks with greater life and movement than improving the modelling of the screw heads on the headlights.

Don't those that wear glasses have basically 20/20 vision too? I know I do. I mean, that's the entire point of the glasses.

It's not a problem that we don't get spa this time. It'd been confirmed and used already so we just have to wait one or two more months before they give it to us.
What troubles me is the rain only on Red Bull Ring... That means they are implementing it as a "hard update" and not something dynamic and clever.

The rain effect looks so beautiful. I wonder if we'll be able to drive the Redbull Rain track in VR ?
Drive Club VR had to take out all of it's beautiful rain effects, I hope that PD will still be able to include it in VR mode :nervous:
I'm also very much hoping for it, but my guess is there will only be a new track condition in standard mode.
If it's in VR, I'm gonna take a convertible car and drive it so long until there is a puddle on the co-driver's seat :).

I refuse to get upset by what a developer releases, or doesn't, for free in his game (and you all should too). But I find puzzling the lack of ballance in the content of these updates in a heavy focused eSport racing game. They should mix road cars with racing cars: "this month you get three random (duplicate) japanese car, but hey, you also get the new Porsche 718 GT4 and the Ferrari 488 GT3!". FFS, even just one new racing car would be welcome.

PS.: before I get dragged into the battle between critics and apologists, here is a full disclosure: I love the 3000GT, which is a childhood hero from me since GT1. There, you can all fight now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back