2014 Fantasy Formula 1: A Champion Is Crowned

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 746 comments
Rosberg, Hamilton, and Button. I'm sure McLaren aren't gonna be in too big of a slump, and I'm not comfortable picking Vettel yet.

So I picked Hamilton, Button and Alonso, Like last week or something.

I don't trust neither Renault nor Red Bull yet. Massa will be quite strong this year and Williams has a Martini livery :drool:

Gone for Hamilton, Rosberg and Alonso
1st round is always the hardest as no one really knows what to expect and Albert park is different to most tracks

Hey Justin, will there be a spreadsheet with our current 2014 picks? That would be kind of cool to see while the bids keep rolling in. 👍

There is one in the picks Joe.
It doesn't have who has picked who, but it does have the percentage of each driver picked.

Not sure if that's what your asking though.

There is one in the picks Joe.
It doesn't have who has picked who, but it does have the percentage of each driver picked.

Not sure if that's what your asking though.
Good Enough!!!, or Better Than Nothing!!! :sly:👍

2014 F1 season changes
The 2014 season brings with it some of the biggest changes to Formula One racing’s regulations for quite some time…

Power - it’s out with 2.4-litre normally-aspirated V8 engines and in with 1.6-litre V6 turbo engines, revving to a maximum of 15,000rpm. While the old V8s produced more than 750bhp, the 2014 units put out around 600bhp with additional power coming from Energy Recovery Systems (see below).

Gearbox - gearboxes have eight forward ratios - rather than the previous seven - which each team must nominate ahead of the season.

Energy Recovery Systems (ERS) - from 2014, a larger proportion of each car’s power comes from ERS which, together with the engine, makes up the power-train or power unit. As well as generating energy under braking, ERS units also generate power using waste heat from the engine’s turbocharger. Unlike the previous KERS - which gave drivers an extra 80bhp for just over six seconds per lap - the 2014 ERS gives drivers around 160bhp for approximately 33 seconds per lap. To compensate for the extra power being generated under braking by ERS, teams are allowed to use an electronic rear brake control system.

Fuel - to promote fuel efficiency, from 2014 fuel is limited to 100kg per race. Previously fuel was unlimited, but teams typically used around 160kg per race.

Minimum weight - to compensate for the increased weight of the 2014 power-train, minimum weight has been increased from the current 642kg to 691kg.

Exhaust - unlike previously where two exhaust tailpipes were used, the 2014 regulations mandate the use of a single tailpipe which must be angled upwards to prevent the exhaust flow being used for aerodynamic effect. Additionally, bodywork is not allowed to be placed behind the tailpipe.

Nose height - for safety reasons the height of noses has been reduced for 2014. The maximum height is 185mm (previously it was 550mm).

Front wing - front wings will be a little narrower from 2014 with the width reduced from 1800mm to 1650mm.

Rear wing - the rear wing also looks a little different for 2014. The previously-legal lower beam wing has been outlawed and the main flap has become slightly shallower in profile. Support pillars, however, are allowed. The DRS slot is also bigger than in 2013.

Testing - in-season testing returns for 2014, albeit in a restricted format with the regulations allowing four tests of no more than two consecutive days at circuits where an event has taken place. There are also increased restrictions on wind-tunnel testing and CFD simulations.

Points - double drivers’ and constructors’ points will be awarded at the final race of the Formula One season - Abu Dhabi for 2014 - in order to maximize focus on the championship until the end of the campaign.

Driver numbers - drivers will be asked to choose their race number, between 2 and 99, for the duration of their career in the FIA Formula One World Championship. Number 1 will be reserved for the current world champion, should he choose to use it. If more than one driver chooses the same number, priority will be given to the driver who finished highest in the previous year’s championship. The driver number must be clearly visible on the front of the car and on the driver's crash helmet.

Additional Friday practice drivers - we are used to seeing teams replace one of their race drivers with a test driver for opening practice on a Friday. However, from 2014 teams are able to run up to four drivers - though still only two cars - in either Friday session.

New penalties - race stewards will have the option to hand out five-second penalties for minor infringements. Additionally, any driver who earns 12 penalty points on their super-licence during a 12-month period will be given a one-race ban.

Pole position trophy - a new trophy will be awarded to the driver who scores the most pole positions during the season.In the event of a tie, the trophy will be awarded to the driver who holds the greatest number of second places. If there is still a tie, the greatest number of third places will be taken into account and so on until a winner emerges.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't Know Formula 1 Teams could use different width tires between Teams. This could add to the performance difference between a couple of cars,.

Wheels and Tires
Formula One cars must have four, uncovered wheels, all made of the same metallic material, which must be one of two magnesium alloys specified by the FIA. Front wheels must be between 305 and 355mm wide, the rears between 365 and 380mm.

With tires fitted the wheels must be no more than 660mm in diameter (670mm with wet-weather tires). Measurements are taken with tires inflated to 1.4 bar. Tires may only be inflated with air or nitrogen.

Last edited:
I've added the pick forms for Malaysia and Bahrain in the "Previous/Future Rounds" section of the OP, hopefully I will have the entire season up by the end of the week. I also changed to pick form up a little to give it a cleaner look.

My picks : Kimi Raikkonen ; Lewis Hamilton and Nico Hulkenberg

Make sure you use the pick form.👍

This is already starting to be a good year, I haven't seen so many 2013 F1 season Mid-Packers getting picked 1st up now :)

@Justin - This is who fantasy F1 racers is doing it online. I'm just giving you this info in case it helps you find a better way to construct points for this series or not?!,.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will give it a go this year as-well, hope this time I can go untill the end ...

picks ; Lewis, Kimi, Massa.

joined this as-well 👍

The Official Formula 1 app is now available in the app store too. There is a $10.00 option too upgrade the app to the next level, but I'm not sure if its worth it or not but I purchased it anyways. It is now among the 5 other apps I have for F1 timing & scoring, and just F1 news aboard. Or all the other motorsports news apps that I do have now. They do however trump the Speed Channel only app I was using to have last year.

Talk about a deck of cards especially on race day!

I just checked my new F1 app and it says it will be raining on Sunday for race day.

God knows who will when now? Time to possibly see how Turbo motors do in the wet?,.More unreliable maybe?

Talk about a deck of cards especially on race day!

I just checked my new F1 app and it says it will be raining on Sunday for race day.

God knows who will when now? Time to possibly see how Turbo motors do in the wet?,.More unreliable maybe?

I am very excited for this new F1 season, given the fact that everyone is kind of 'running in the dark', and with that weather forecast, it will be a blast to follow this first round 👍

Latest forecast for race day:

SunMar 16
11.png

61°
51°
Showers
Chance of rain:
60%
Wind:
WSW at 12 mph

Went for Hamilton, Rosberg and Bottas...seems like everyone is going for Hamilton!

Went for Hamilton, Rosberg and Bottas...seems like everyone is going for Hamilton!
Now that they have arrived in Australia The Renault cars are not making it around the track. And believe it or not but the slowest Renault motor Team that's doing the best is Caterham, whoa! I knew the new regs was supposed to give us a show, but we might have no show to watch if half the pack can't complete a race? "Houston we have a problem"

Now that they have arrived in Australia The Renault cars are not making it around the track. And believe it or not but the slowest Renault motor Team that's doing the best is Caterham, whoa! I knew the new regs was supposed to give us a show, but we might have no show to watch if half the pack can't complete a race? "Houston we have a problem"

And then we did not debate about the fact they can only take 100 liters of fuel, even Ferarri and Mercedes said they are not sure where that will bring them....

And then we did not debate about the fact they can only take 100 liters of fuel, even Ferarri and Mercedes said they are not sure where that will bring them....
I just found a piece that says " F1 Teams were using 150 liters per race last year" thats 1/3 the fuel this year with only 100hp less but enough ers at 160hp for 2 sectors of a race lap. This will be intresting to watch?,..

Back