2017 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 1,065 comments
That's some of the worst writing I've ever seen lol. Publicity stunt...no, your article was a publicity stunt. Who the hell relies on a 13 year old daughter to keep a pulse on what's going on in the open wheel racing world.

Well said by Mario.

Probably an old IRL, Americans only, fanatic.

She's probably still mad that the Associated Press got dropped in favour of USA Today for "Exclusive" Indycar coverage. I have to love her replies on Twitter about the whole thing though.[/sarcasm]:

From the article...

There was Tony Stewart, who never won the 500 — his dream race. Retired from NASCAR now, Indy cars may have passed him, but people would have tuned into to see one last gasp from Smoke. There was Danica Patrick, whose entire brand was built around the Indy 500. She left IndyCar six years ago but the grass hasn't been so green on the NASCAR side, and Patrick led 19 laps at the speedway and finished third and fourth in her career.

So she would really rather have an out of shape 45 year old has-been or a driver who's on the verge of losing her ride instead of a driver with international appeal that can actually win?

I've seen some stupid responses to the Alonso/Indy deal, but I think she may take the title of stupidest!

Oh lord. I try to ignore anything and everything that Jenna Fryer writes, but... agh. The stupidity is strong with this one.

Props to Mario for saying what needed to be said, of the Andrettis I've met he's the most affable and the only one I like.

So she would really rather have an out of shape 45 year old has-been or a driver who's on the verge of losing her ride instead of a driver with international appeal that can actually win?

I've seen some stupid responses to the Alonso/Indy deal, but I think she may take the title of stupidest!
Tony in a Ford powered DW12 XXL, yeah ok.:lol:

13yr olds of the world take note.

Last edited:
In brighter news...
---------------------------------
phpThumb.php

Date set for Alonso's first Indy test
Thursday, 20 April 2017
RACER Staff

Fernando Alonso's preparations for the Indianapolis 500 will begin with a test at IMS on May 3.

The two-time Formula 1 World Champion will spend one day in the McLaren Andretti Autosport Honda in between the Russian and Spanish Grands Prix, before returning to Indianapolis for the start of official practice on May 15. The initial test will mark the Spaniard's first run on an oval.

Fans will be able to watch Alonso's test for free from the Turn 2 viewing mounds, the Museum parking lot and the South Terrace Grandstands.

Alonso stunned the global motorsport community last week with the news that he will miss the Monaco Grand Prix in order to race at Indy, with Jenson Button having been called up from his sabbatical to take Alonso's place in Monte Carlo.
phpThumb.php

McLaren boss sets criteria for future IndyCar move
Thursday, 20 April 2017
By Marshall Pruett / Image by McLaren

How soon would McLaren consider entering the Verizon IndyCar Series on a full-time basis? The answer is linked to the health and success of its embattled Formula 1 program.

Tucked among the interesting tidbits from the Fernando Alonso/Indy 500 announcement was the proclamation made by McLaren shareholder Mansour Ojjeh, who revealed the British Formula 1 constructor would be open to campaigning an Indy car in the near future. With Californian Zak Brown in his new position atop the McLaren Technology Group, it's clear the IndyCar-loving American is also serious about reconnecting the brand to its open-wheel roots in North America.

"It's ultimately very early days in my time at McLaren," Brown said. "One of the things that got me excited about McLaren is its long rich history, obviously in Formula 1, but then its history winning Indianapolis three times, winning Le Mans, Can-Am, Formula 5000, the list goes on; and while [Formula 1] will remain our number one focus in our motorsport galaxy, we have some exciting places that I think, we think, the shareholders think we should revisit over time."

Brown outlined the vetting process that will be used to make a final decision on whether McLaren will assemble a team to take on the likes of Team Penske, Chip Ganassi Racing, Andretti Autosport and other front-running IndyCar programs.

"We have three criteria: One, we need to make sure we can be competitive; two, that it's commercially viable, and three, it fits out brand," he said. "I think the Indy 500 ticks all those boxes, and I think IndyCar ultimately ticks all those boxes. We're a fan of IndyCar; we think it's a great form of motorsport. We've done it before. And if we can tick all three of those boxes, in the future, IndyCar would definitely be something we would consider."

McLaren will need to get its F1 program in order before Brown signs up for a couple of engine leases from Honda Performance Development and orders a few DW12s from Dallara. Once its Japanese Honda F1 power units become more of a help than a hindrance, news of McLaren joining IndyCar for more than the Indy 500 could be possible.

"However, we've got big challenges on the Formula 1 front, so we need to be getting that right and winning races before we set out in lots of other adventures," he said. "[The] Indy 500 was something that I thought would potentially be on the cards in 2018. Due to our circumstances and small window of opportunity, [we] saw a window of opportunity for 2017 that quite frankly we didn't see six months ago."

Looking at other potential IndyCar interests for McLaren, Brown says McLaren Automotive, which produces a line of supercars that are also sold as race-ready sports car models, would not be a ready candidate to join Chevy and Honda as official IndyCar engine suppliers.

"I think that's a long way down the road," he added. "The automotive company is a sister company. Automotive has its own racing programs; it's in GT3 and GT4 now. I don't want to speak too much on their behalf, but don't think being an engine supplier is on strategy with [our] current thinking. And so, I think from a McLaren Automotive standpoint, they'd be less likely to be an engine supplier as much as [focusing on] racing their makes and models in sports car racing."

The presence of McLaren Racing as a regular IndyCar competitor would add another layer to the series' efforts to restore its glory days. For all those who would like to see McLaren on the grid at Long Beach, Road America, Watkins Glen, and other classic venues, its F1 team cannot find Victory Lane soon enough...

I really just cant believe Alonso is giving up Monaco for the Indy 500, which is probably the only long shot chance at a win with McLaren F1 this year, though I'm ecstatic about it,
And with Honda having the upper hand in the oval aero department Alonso is in with a proper shot at the win,

Could this be part of McLaren/ Alonso's retirement plan?

In brighter news...
phpThumb.php

Date set for Alonso's first Indy test
Thursday, 20 April 2017
RACER Staff

Fernando Alonso's preparations for the Indianapolis 500 will begin with a test at IMS on May 3.

The two-time Formula 1 World Champion will spend one day in the McLaren Andretti Autosport Honda in between the Russian and Spanish Grands Prix, before returning to Indianapolis for the start of official practice on May 15. The initial test will mark the Spaniard's first run on an oval.

Fans will be able to watch Alonso's test for free from the Turn 2 viewing mounds, the Museum parking lot and the South Terrace Grandstands.

Alonso stunned the global motorsport community last week with the news that he will miss the Monaco Grand Prix in order to race at Indy, with Jenson Button having been called up from his sabbatical to take Alonso's place in Monte Carlo.
phpThumb.php

McLaren boss sets criteria for future IndyCar move
Thursday, 20 April 2017
By Marshall Pruett / Image by McLaren

How soon would McLaren consider entering the Verizon IndyCar Series on a full-time basis? The answer is linked to the health and success of its embattled Formula 1 program.

Tucked among the interesting tidbits from the Fernando Alonso/Indy 500 announcement was the proclamation made by McLaren shareholder Mansour Ojjeh, who revealed the British Formula 1 constructor would be open to campaigning an Indy car in the near future. With Californian Zak Brown in his new position atop the McLaren Technology Group, it's clear the IndyCar-loving American is also serious about reconnecting the brand to its open-wheel roots in North America.

"It's ultimately very early days in my time at McLaren," Brown said. "One of the things that got me excited about McLaren is its long rich history, obviously in Formula 1, but then its history winning Indianapolis three times, winning Le Mans, Can-Am, Formula 5000, the list goes on; and while [Formula 1] will remain our number one focus in our motorsport galaxy, we have some exciting places that I think, we think, the shareholders think we should revisit over time."

Brown outlined the vetting process that will be used to make a final decision on whether McLaren will assemble a team to take on the likes of Team Penske, Chip Ganassi Racing, Andretti Autosport and other front-running IndyCar programs.

"We have three criteria: One, we need to make sure we can be competitive; two, that it's commercially viable, and three, it fits out brand," he said. "I think the Indy 500 ticks all those boxes, and I think IndyCar ultimately ticks all those boxes. We're a fan of IndyCar; we think it's a great form of motorsport. We've done it before. And if we can tick all three of those boxes, in the future, IndyCar would definitely be something we would consider."

McLaren will need to get its F1 program in order before Brown signs up for a couple of engine leases from Honda Performance Development and orders a few DW12s from Dallara. Once its Japanese Honda F1 power units become more of a help than a hindrance, news of McLaren joining IndyCar for more than the Indy 500 could be possible.

"However, we've got big challenges on the Formula 1 front, so we need to be getting that right and winning races before we set out in lots of other adventures," he said. "[The] Indy 500 was something that I thought would potentially be on the cards in 2018. Due to our circumstances and small window of opportunity, [we] saw a window of opportunity for 2017 that quite frankly we didn't see six months ago."

Looking at other potential IndyCar interests for McLaren, Brown says McLaren Automotive, which produces a line of supercars that are also sold as race-ready sports car models, would not be a ready candidate to join Chevy and Honda as official IndyCar engine suppliers.

"I think that's a long way down the road," he added. "The automotive company is a sister company. Automotive has its own racing programs; it's in GT3 and GT4 now. I don't want to speak too much on their behalf, but don't think being an engine supplier is on strategy with [our] current thinking. And so, I think from a McLaren Automotive standpoint, they'd be less likely to be an engine supplier as much as [focusing on] racing their makes and models in sports car racing."

The presence of McLaren Racing as a regular IndyCar competitor would add another layer to the series' efforts to restore its glory days. For all those who would like to see McLaren on the grid at Long Beach, Road America, Watkins Glen, and other classic venues, its F1 team cannot find Victory Lane soon enough...
Those requirements that they've set out are, fairly realistic? :drool: It's definitely not a guarantee and it's probably just some "sweet talking", but it's interesting to see that for them it's more about working out a plan and not completely closing it off.

Imagine Indycar in 2021 with a 2-3 car papaya orange McLaren team... :drool:

Okay there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG with that time sheet. MARCO "Uber Driver" ANDRETTI is 1st place?! :eek: What is this black magic?!
I think this is actually one of his best tracks, as achievements so far include a 2nd place in 2014 and most laps led in 2010. Of course, though, these stats pale in comparison to RHR, who's driven for the same team all that time. :sly:

It's raining a little, if it keeps up the last 20 laps will be interesting.

Edit: The rain seems to be holding off, but Power may have a puncture.

Edit 2: Power pits, Newgarden takes the lead.

Last edited:
Back