2017 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 1,065 comments
C_4XHL8XcAIZyn9.jpg

Two Monaco winners having a chat in the middle of Indiana.
This is a great picture, and seeing it made me think and do a little research.
  • The last time these two raced was July 2nd 2006, 10 years 10 months and 26 days (give or take a couple days) come the green flag dropping on the 500.
  • That last race? 2006 United States Grand Prix, run on the IMS road course. Alonso was reigning F1 champ at Renault while JPM was packing his bags at McLaren, signing with Chip Ganassi for his NASCAR stint.
  • Alonso finished 5th that race, JPM was one of seven who crashed in turn 2 on the first lap.
Yes, I'm a bit tired and bored so I recited trivia.

I don't know if Alonoso will win, but I think he could handily be the highest finishing Andretti car...iiif he isn't taken out.

I'm a bit conflicted. Part of me wants Alonso to do well and possibly win, but part of me wants him to struggle so all the ignorant F1 fanboys don't go on about how easy oval racing is, and all the 'only turn left' crap.

Finally getting caught up on the Indy GP, I'm still not a fan of having 2 races at the same venue back to back, good to see a solid crowd there though, and the circuit looks an absolute treat, the groundskeeper deserves a pay rise,

too cool for ur lame rulz

Lord, that was textbook cheesiness

Some pretty alarming stuff:

http://www.racer.com/international/item/140555-trump-kendall-and-the-saudi-american-race-of-heroes

Donald Trump the businessman and reality TV star came close to driving the pace car to start the 2011 Indy 500 (pictured below), and in a bizarre scenario six years later, President Trump could be entertained later this week by a group of past and present IndyCar and sports car drivers in Saudi Arabia.

1996 CART IndyCar champion Jimmy Vasser, Indy 500 ace Townsend Bell, Californian open-wheel ace and 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours class winner Gustavo Menezes and driver-turned-commentator Tommy Kendall will take part in the Saudi American Race of Heroes at the request of the Saudi Arabian General Entertainment Authority.

The Race of Champions-style exhibition with a Middle Eastern twist is set in the Riyadh University stadium. Hastily assembled to coincide with Mr. Trump's first visit to the region as president of the United States, the format has been simplified with four American and four Saudi drivers who will use the Camaro SS, Lotus Exige S, KTM X-Bow and Polaris Slingshot in the faceoff among allies.

So, I guess Indycar is fine using it's legends and drivers as pawns not only for a fascist and debilitating government, but also a government with horrific records on human rights, and enables terrorism.

Last edited:

http://www.racer.com/international/item/140555-trump-kendall-and-the-saudi-american-race-of-heroes

So, I guess Indycar is fine using it's legends and drivers as pawns not only for a fascist and debilitating government, but also a government with horrific records on human rights, and enables terrorism.
Top level motor racing has globally been associated with fascism, corporatism and militarism, right from the very start. Because of our boyish infatuation with the sport, glory, sound and speed, we tend to overlook the seamy side. But its always been there.

Top level motor racing has globally been associated with fascism, corporatism and militarism, right from the very start. Because of our boyish infatuation with the sport, glory, sound and speed, we tend to overlook the seamy side. But its always been there.

I certainly can't argue with that. But nonetheless, it is distressing to see that Indycar is tacitly supporting the Trump government, alongside the Saudis, and as a fairly knowledgeable liberal motorsport fan, it's quite a bummer.

I certainly can't argue with that. But nonetheless, it is distressing to see that Indycar is tacitly supporting the Trump government, alongside the Saudis, and as a fairly knowledgeable liberal motorsport fan, it's quite a bummer.
Yep. We must do our best to hold our noses and plug our ears to enjoy this crazy sport, despite its manifest issues. I got the bug for racing early, but the dark side only dawned on me as I became a much older adult. It's kind of like cognitive dissonance, saying one thing while doing another; one of those human balancing acts of hypocrisy. Roger Penske, one of the greatest of all Indy competitors in history, is a thoroughly Republican and conservative person. All of the major owners to my knowledge, are just the same as Roger.

I fail to see what Indycar has to do with this as nowhere is it mentioned THEY are the ones that organized the group.

Also, can we keep the political crap out of here? I hear enough about it on TV as is.

Wow... SeaBass had a hard lick, local news says he's out for the season, hopefully we get some proper news in the coming 24 hours,

That's Dale Coyne in a pickle too with having to replace Bourdais. He probably wasn't cheap to sign and whilst he was making his worth back on the track, with him gone, who do DCR turn to keep the money flowing well?

That's Dale Coyne in a pickle too with having to replace Bourdais. He probably wasn't cheap to sign and whilst he was making his worth back on the track, with him gone, who do DCR turn to keep the money flowing well?
Francesco Dracone?

Probably won't happen, but Montoya?

RC Enerson. Been with the team last year and was pretty good too. Up to speed on ovals in the IndyCar with podiums in all of his oval races in Lights excluding the Indy races.

A lot of young guys to choose from to replace Sea Bass. I'd honestly prefer if it wasn't Montoya.

What's wrong with Montoya?
Nothing wrong with Montoya as a driver. I just want to see more of the younger guys from Indy Lights have a chance to seriously shine. There's no reason to pull in a 38 year old when you can pull in a 21 year old and give him the chance to show his worth over what's left in the season.

I'm just glad Seb is, err, for the most part okay (not a head/neck/back/leg injury thank God). I legitimately was scared when I saw him spear into the wall like that. Holmatro was right on the scene thankfully (did you see that truck nearly drifting outta turn 2?! :eek: ). Seeing him lift his visor up was only partially comforting seeing the difficulty he was having. Can't believe it was only his pelvis/hip. :scared:

Back