2017 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 1,065 comments
No kidding. :drool: Guys, American open wheel has a new ride! :D (still render)

Oval
0524-Render11.jpg

Road
0524-Render01.jpg

NO MORE KARBASHIANS! :gtpflag:

Tell me this view doesn't put F1 cars to shame. :embarrassed:
0524-Render03.jpg

Last edited:
Indy is bringing sexy back. That looks stunning, especially in road course spec. The road course rear wing has connotations to F1 2017 with how it narrows in towards the rear diffuser.

The little circular thing on top is either a soup can or an Easybutton.

Looks amazing in both forms though.

Beautiful design but I hope they bring the rear pods back for the super speedways to stop wheel to wheel contact coming back and firing cars at the catch fence as the DW12 did stop that happening really well even though they are ugly.

The little circular thing on top is either a soup can or an Easybutton.

Looks amazing in both forms though.
That's actually the 360 degree HD camera that IndyCar originally introduced back in 2008. :D

I also updated the 1st post updated with the new renderings of the 2018 IndyCar! :gtpflag:

Love the new kit and how the oval one looks sort of like the old mustache CART kit from the late 90's. My worry is time, I know Dallara is good but they have P2's to build amongst other stuff and now they need at least 22 chassis before next season. Maybe my thought on how long CF work takes is off but I think it'll be quite a large rush.

Love the new kit and how the oval one looks sort of like the old mustache CART kit from the late 90's. My worry is time, I know Dallara is good but they have P2's to build amongst other stuff and now they need at least 22 chassis before next season. Maybe my thought on how long CF work takes is off but I think it'll be quite a large rush.
Unless I'm mistaken the new car still uses the DW12 chassis, this is just an aero upgrade.

Unless I'm mistaken the new car still uses the DW12 chassis, this is just an aero upgrade.
This is slightly true. The cockpit is DW12. If looks are correct, the engine positioning is going to be lower on the chassis.

It'd look vastly better without the chunky thing-pods-stuff in front of the rear wheels, they totally ruin the car IMO. Still, miles better than what's been on track since the IRL stopped using ex-CART chassis.

What P2s do they have to build at the moment, who is switching over to that class for 2018 using Dallara? There are 3 other chassis builders so I mean if they have to lose customers I'm sure they'll be fine because of this deal.

Looks truly fantastic. One worry I have though, is the instance of a top down impact. Without the air scoop seen on the current and previous cars, top down impacts such as Bourdais' at Indy in the past week, and much more so, Newgarden's accident at Texas last year, these incidents will be much worse as there is less to protect the driver apart from the roll bar.

Looks truly fantastic. One worry I have though, is the instance of a top down impact. Without the air scoop seen on the current and previous cars, top down impacts such as Bourdais' at Indy in the past week, and much more so, Newgarden's accident at Texas last year, these incidents will be much worse as there is less to protect the driver apart from the roll bar.
The air box does not have any more structural integrity than this. Most open wheel cars have this roll hoop implemented already into the tub design as a safety measure (note how these cars are currently lifted, via lift pins that are hooked through the position led board which has the same exact placement on this new aero kit). All they've done is remove the air intake for th engine, and moved that plumbing to the pods.

The height of the car is the same as it currently is. It looks weird because we haven't seen this roll bar structure in a decade. But the structure integrity is the same. My question is how much of the rear chassis is going to be changed. Surely the engine and critical internals have been remapped in different places now.

Gutierrez targeting Coyne IndyCar seat for Detroit

I've said it a few times but I would go for RC Enerson. I was impressed by him last season and he's actually driven at 3 of the remaining circuits which is a bonus. Plus, Gutierrez has a number of clashes.
Enerson's father, who provided most of his funding, is in the middle of a lawsuit from SPM regarding owed money. I don't think we'll see Enerson in a car this year.

Eva
Enerson's father, who provided most of his funding, is in the middle of a lawsuit from SPM regarding owed money. I don't think we'll see Enerson in a car this year.
Ah. That's a shame. On speed and being with the team before alone, I'd say he should be in with a shot.

Ah. That's a shame. On speed and being with the team before alone, I'd say he should be in with a shot.
One would figure, but if Bourdais' don't want to pay for his replacement, the team needs to get money somewhere, which is why Esteban is even on the table.

Pretty good race Sunday, I didn't get to watch a lot of it because I was at work, but I caught the end of it. I'm not a huge fan of Indy Car, but I watch a few races a year and always catch the 500.

I was going to post this the other day, but I forgot. Here's an article on the drivers in the 1967 Indy 500, and why it's considered the greatest staring lineup of an Indy 500. It's a pretty impressive list of names.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/05/27/indycar-greatest-starting-field-indianapolis-500-history/

One thing about the new cars that most wouldn't think about or care about, is the lack of sponsorship space. No airbox takes away a primary sponsor space, and the sides go inwards at the bottom making visabilty for sponsors not the greatest. And there's also the obvious lack of rear wing space on the oval config.

One thing about the new cars that most wouldn't think about or care about, is the lack of sponsorship space. No airbox takes away a primary sponsor space, and the sides go inwards at the bottom making visabilty for sponsors not the greatest. And there's also the obvious lack of rear wing space on the oval config.
Having a look at the car from this way, you have a pretty good point.

I thought of that as well, but I'd bet they still figure out how to plaster all the decals they need.

Back