Formula 1 2018 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand PrixFormula 1 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dennisch
  • 248 comments
  • 12,971 views
Let that sink in.
What does it want now?
let-that-sink-in-260204.jpg
 
Literal snooze fest (Couldn’t stop myself from falling asleep...)

Also you gotta think Alonso was right about Ferrari in 2014 when he left. There’s a fundamental flaw with the team. They’re not going to win a championship any time soon
 
Dull race. I listened to it on 5 Live in a Burger King car park, so it's not all bad.
 
Also you gotta think Alonso was right about Ferrari in 2014 when he left. There’s a fundamental flaw with the team. They’re not going to win a championship any time soon
I reckon they'd be a lot closer to winning if Alonso was in that car instead of Vettel
 
I reckon they'd be a lot closer to winning if Alonso was in that car instead of Vettel

Based on? I think you've misinterpreted the comment wrong or rather just fixated on a tiny portion and went with your own narrative. The issue remains that Ferrari are making and have made bad calls and it not only costs them victory no matter the driver, but costs them points. This isn't to take away that Vettel has screwed up his own championship, but his team hasn't helped and in reality that is no more evident than with Kimi.

I think Vettel has tried to direct the team because the team is failing to do what they should be, you look at a team like RBR and they tend to be better with strategy even and did so today. Ferrari need to shape up and stop sleeping pit side if they want to win. I'd say they still have a shot at WCC, yet WDC is all but gone right now.
 
I agree that Ferrari have not been the best strategists, but Alonso seems to me a more intelligent driver. I doubt he would have made all the catastrophic errors that Vettel has over the last 2 seasons
 
Kevin Magnussen holds the lap record at a Grand Prix circuit.

Who'da thunk it?
 
Force India tweeted that Sirotkin smashed into Perez, which they deleted a minute later, but was already picked up by others online. :lol:
 
58 points for Mclaren. 50 for Alonso.

With a Mclaren.

Let that sink in.

On that note, am I the only one who isn't overly impressed by Vandornne? I know that he has an impressive junior record, and that having Alonso as a teammate can make it harder to shine, but he seems to not even be in the same area code as Alonso this year.
 
On that note, am I the only one who isn't overly impressed by Vandornne? I know that he has an impressive junior record, and that having Alonso as a teammate can make it harder to shine, but he seems to not even be in the same area code as Alonso this year.

He'll go down as yet another who didn't have what it takes to be in F1. Which is a shame, because as you say, he does have an impressive junior career.
 
On that note, am I the only one who isn't overly impressed by Vandornne? I know that he has an impressive junior record, and that having Alonso as a teammate can make it harder to shine, but he seems to not even be in the same area code as Alonso this year.

He'll go down as yet another who didn't have what it takes to be in F1. Which is a shame, because as you say, he does have an impressive junior career.

Agreed, The mark of top talent is doing a good job in a bad/terrible car. Alonso is showing that and. While I accept Vandoorne doesn't have Alonso's experience or bullishness he isn't even close to showing that he deserves to stay on.
 
Agreed, The mark of top talent is doing a good job in a bad/terrible car. Alonso is showing that and. While I accept Vandoorne doesn't have Alonso's experience or bullishness he isn't even close to showing that he deserves to stay on.
Which is why Leclerc and Gasly are getting promoted next season. They've shown up the known quantities of Ericsson and Hartley respectively in pretty poor cars, being able to grind out amazing results in both quali and the race. Vandoorne has had two seasons to prove something, and basically been shown up by Alonso. If Vandoorne had at least shown something during his time - like an unexpected 4th place, or multiple Q3 appearances, then he may have kept the seat. I don't think he was ever expected or required to beat Alonso week in week out, but he's been just too far back all season which is why he's gone.
 
Which is why Leclerc and Gasly are getting promoted next season. They've shown up the known quantities of Ericsson and Hartley respectively in pretty poor cars, being able to grind out amazing results in both quali and the race. Vandoorne has had two seasons to prove something, and basically been shown up by Alonso. If Vandoorne had at least shown something during his time - like an unexpected 4th place, or multiple Q3 appearances, then he may have kept the seat. I don't think he was ever expected or required to beat Alonso week in week out, but he's been just too far back all season which is why he's gone.
To be fair to Vandoorne, he isn't up against Ericsson or Hartley, he is up against Alonso of all people. Further to his defence, I wouldn't be shocked seeing how big of a mess McLaren (also as a team) if he had worse car and was doing testing, running radical setups etc.
On top of that, it's his second season, of which, his first year he spent more time in garage or parked in the runoff waiting for a crane.
Couple that with a teammate of Alonso calibre and there you have it
 
adb
To be fair to Vandoorne, he isn't up against Ericsson or Hartley, he is up against Alonso of all people. Further to his defence, I wouldn't be shocked seeing how big of a mess McLaren (also as a team) if he had worse car and was doing testing, running radical setups etc.
On top of that, it's his second season, of which, his first year he spent more time in garage or parked in the runoff waiting for a crane.
Couple that with a teammate of Alonso calibre and there you have it

I think that's all rather missing the point. Nobody in the above posts seems to have expected that he'd match Alonso for pace. What we know is that the car's reliability has improved and it's demonstrably been able to hold its own in the midfield. After this length of time Vandoorne should (in my opinion) be closing the gap to the front far more than he is. I'm not saying he isn't a good driver but he's not demonstrating the ability to adapt to the disadvantages that top drivers do. It's a fair time to give somebody else a shot at proving themself.
 
I'm kind of in the middle on Vandoorne - there is no question that Alonso is a truly exceptional talent, and so it was always going to be hard to match him, but at the same time he hasn't (yet) risen to the challenge, albeit under difficult circumstances at McLaren. But unfortunately for Vandoorne, Alonso has shown what is possible, and that has revealed the fact that Vandoorne is not up to it yet... but is two years really enough for a new driver to prove himself at a team that has struggled so badly? I don't know, but I would have liked to see Vandoorne given a season with Sainz and see how he matches up with him. McLaren just seem to be all at sea at the moment, and so maybe they are doing him a favour by cutting him loose.
 
adb
To be fair to Vandoorne, he isn't up against Ericsson or Hartley, he is up against Alonso of all people. Further to his defence, I wouldn't be shocked seeing how big of a mess McLaren (also as a team) if he had worse car and was doing testing, running radical setups etc.
On top of that, it's his second season, of which, his first year he spent more time in garage or parked in the runoff waiting for a crane.
Couple that with a teammate of Alonso calibre and there you have it
As I said
I don't think he was ever expected or required to beat Alonso week in week out, but he's been just too far back all season which is why he's gone.
 
I wonder how long it'll take Leclerc to get up to speed in the Ferrari... seems like Vettel's approach with Ferrari isn't working for him or the team and they look set to loose out on both titles again.

But a dull race overall Lewis has stepped up his game and no one has been able to match him thus far. Assuming a mini Ferrari implosion over the next two seasons and I can't see Lewis not matching Schumy's 7 titles.
 
I wonder how long it'll take Leclerc to get up to speed in the Ferrari... seems like Vettel's approach with Ferrari isn't working for him or the team and they look set to loose out on both titles again.

But a dull race overall Lewis has stepped up his game and no one has been able to match him thus far. Assuming a mini Ferrari implosion over the next two seasons and I can't see Lewis not matching Schumy's 7 titles.

I wonder if it will be arrivederci Arrivabene - that's usually the Ferrari way. He's a nice guy but something still needs shaking up somewhere. Ferrari should be making far more of their potential than they are.
 
I wonder if it will be arrivederci Arrivabene - that's usually the Ferrari way. He's a nice guy but something still needs shaking up somewhere. Ferrari should be making far more of their potential than they are.
I'm not sure, I don't think it will be for a while.
I think, from what I've read that Seb wanted to be all hands on with the team and how it's run and managed. And these things have affecting him. Where as in the past he just turned up and drove. I wonder if Seb's approach was given a chance, but now it's run its corse?
 
I think that's all rather missing the point. Nobody in the above posts seems to have expected that he'd match Alonso for pace
The thing is, if he isn't on Alonso's pace, in the midfield it could be 2 or 3 rows difference on grid. So he has to match him. And I'm not sure if he's being handled properly by McLaren, if he's given equal parts, equal setup (as in getting time to chase ultimate setup, rather then getting data on slightly more risky setup) etc. especially given his slightly limited experience. On top of that his teammate is the only driver of this talent in midfield.
In midfield a tenth or two is the difference between being knocked out in Q1 and being relatively safe in Q2

After this length of time Vandoorne should (in my opinion) be closing the gap to the front far more than he is
What I'm struggling most with Stoffel is that towards end of last year, he seemed to get closer to Fernando, sometimes even beating him. I looked up this year, and actually it's pretty weird, cause until I think Austria (with exception of Spain and Monaco I think) Stoff was usually 1-3 maybe four tenths down, gap similar to e.g. Verstappen/Ricciardo this year. From Silverstone onwards he had abysmal weekends, not sure why.
 
Snooze fest. The amount of crying on the radio was rediculous. Like other pro sports, I think F1 needs to look at introcuding some sort of penalty or reprimand for whining to officials in an attempt to have a call made. Or FOM need to wake up the fact that this crying on the radio doesn’t make the sport as a whole look good, so just stop airing that BS.
 
Or FOM need to wake up the fact that this crying on the radio doesn’t make the sport as a whole look good, so just stop airing that BS.

That.

Perez and Bottas really were annoying today. Crying like little children who hear a no from their parents. They both deserved to be slapped in the face.
 
I have lost all interest in the rest of the season. Vettel needs to win every race now and that's just not gonna happen. At least I got most of a season worth of excitement with them going back and forth a bit. Now it's just waiting for it to end. I don't think I'm getting up early to watch the rest live.
 
Back