Formula 1 2018 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 248 comments
I have lost all interest in the rest of the season. Vettel needs to win every race now and that's just not gonna happen.
I'm not great at math, but to me it looks like Hamilton has a 40pt lead, with 150pt remaining. One Mercedes retirement and it's 15pt with 125pt remaining.

Vettel doesn't exactly need snookers here, and Mercedes only has one more set of power unit components to last six races until grid penalties start happening. So does Ferrari, but them's the breaks.

Didn't watch the race and didn't bother trying cause I figured it would be one of those snoozefest race though I did follow it online just to keep up with things. Ferrari didn't seem to be in the mix at all despite showing such good form in the practice sessions. Since Quali, Lewis basically dominated the whole weekend on a track that the Merc expected to really struggle at. Also, I was expecting to see a lot more from Red Bull....especially Dani Rick but instead it felt like he was taking a nighttime Sunday cruise in hot humid Singapore.

Good job on Alonso's part taking that car to 7th. As long as the car is running, he's always squeezing every little bit of performance out of the car....a remarkable standard for quality F1 drivers.

and what the heck was up with Perez today!! :odd:

I have lost all interest in the rest of the season. Vettel needs to win every race now and that's just not gonna happen. At least I got most of a season worth of excitement with them going back and forth a bit. Now it's just waiting for it to end. I don't think I'm getting up early to watch the rest live.

Too soon to lose interest mate, this is racing, anything can happen.....Even if Vettel doesn't win every single of the remaining races, one DNF for Lewis at this point could completely change the trend and spice things up...Now, even though I said that, it's absolutely NOT what I want to see happen because I actually want Lewis to win the championship this season and I'm not even his fan. IMO, out of all the top drivers so far, despite some of his ups and downs, he still managed to be the most consistent overall and always finishing in the positions that mattered. The result thus far, he is 40 points ahead of the nearest contender so good for him...now let's move on to Russia

I'm not great at math, but to me it looks like Hamilton has a 40pt lead, with 150pt remaining. One Mercedes retirement and it's 15pt with 125pt remaining.

Vettel doesn't exactly need snookers here, and Mercedes only has one more set of power unit components to last six races until grid penalties start happening. So does Ferrari, but them's the breaks.
I could have sworn I heard Brundle say it but I was half awake so I don't know really

At least Alonso was the last one on the lead lap...7th is far from the worst place to get. But yeah, not enjoying this Ferrari championship falling short! I did not catch the entire race live, as I ended up going out for two car shows and indoor karting. Much better use of my time than watching the whole thing. I think I caught up to lap 20 or 30, and even by then I sensed a Hamilton win with a sloppy attempt at overtaking him. Although the highlights of Verstappen going for him in traffic were entertaining.

All the whiners whining about whiners on the radio....don't forget it's an especially hot race with an excessive amount of small-margin corners. The stress is unavoidable, and once you experience some trackdays for yourselves (maybe some of you have), you then start to have perspective on why they seem sensitive/irritable on their radio messages.

I could have sworn I heard Brundle say it but I was half awake so I don't know really
What Brundle said was that if Vettel wins every remaining race and Hamilton comes second in every remaining race, Vettel will win by two points. As (6*25)-((6*18)+40) = 2.

Vettel doesn't need to win every remaining race, But if he does, he'll definitely win the title no matter what else happens.

40 points with 150 left is not game over.

7v1wfefj8nm11.jpg

Sirotkin almost driver of the day! :lol::lol::lol:

What Brundle said was that if Vettel wins every remaining race and Hamilton comes second in every remaining race, Vettel will win by two points. As (6*25)-((6*18)+40) = 2.

Vettel doesn't need to win every remaining race, But if he does, he'll definitely win the title no matter what else happens.

40 points with 150 left is not game over.

The only problem is that this requires Ferrari to not fudge up their strategy, something that they seem to be incapable of doing, even with arguably the best car/power unit on the grid.

As a Hamilton fan, I'd love to see Vettel cause an upset and win the title, but realistically it's hard for me to see that happening, and a HAM/Merc title would be well-deserved.

Well now you know how the 16% who don't like Verstappen or Perez voted, Sirotkin plebbing it up is who they voted for.

To be fair, he had a really good fight with Perez. Just a shame he did a Rosberg on Brenda and then moved a bit under braking when Perez finally got past him after all the stops and penalties

Hahahahahahaha How?!
He was definitely the most entertaining driver in the race. He spent most of the middle of the race being a roadblock on really dead tyres. Being completely walloped by Perez for no reason definitely helped his cause.

From what I've seen online, Grosjean is inching towards a race ban with the blue flag "incident" yesterday.

I find that whole situation a bit ridiculous. Did they expect him to throw the car into the wall whilst fighting with Sirotkin to let the leaders past?

Not how blue flags should be handled, in my opinion.

From what I've seen online, Grosjean is inching towards a race ban with the blue flag "incident" yesterday.

I find that whole situation a bit ridiculous. Did they expect him to throw the car into the wall whilst fighting with Sirotkin to let the leaders past?

He should have gotten out of the way, instead he failed to make an overtake and then refused to get out of it, almost costing the lead of the race.
You can fight, but you can't fight at the cost of cars lapping you.

He was shown the blue flag for the first time before the final corner. Technically, he should have then let Hamilton through by about Turn 5, but he continued following Sirotkin, eventually passing him at turn 7. Sirotkin technically hadn't been shown a blue flag, you can see from the images that the light box was flashing a blue flag with "8" on it at Grosjean. When Sirotkin was passed, he rightfully fought for position, until Turn 9 when he had to cede the position. He was then subject to he blue flags and let both Hamilton and Verstappen through at turn 10. Grosjean then waited until the straight after Turn 13 to let Hamilton through, and of course then parked it in the middle of Turn 14, blocking Verstappen.

Drivers racing while under blue flags isn't new, and isn't wrong, it's just that Grosjean waited far too long to make the pass, and then still blocked the leaders when he let them through.

I'm watching a rerun of the race, and the first lap mishap between Perez and Ocon.

After his brain fart attack on Sirotkin, I'm pretty certain that Perez was able to see Ocon, and just let himself roll into him.

I'm watching a rerun of the race, and the first lap mishap between Perez and Ocon.

After his brain fart attack on Sirotkin, I'm pretty certain that Perez was able to see Ocon, and just let himself roll into him.

Some pretty dodgy (and angry) driving from Perez. When Vettel side-swiped Hamilton last season he at least had the brains to stick to his story (mostly no explanation at all). Perez seems to have effectively admitted suffering a red mist moment while alongside Sirotkin. Frankly I think that warrants a harsh punishment - any motorsport driver/rider who uses their vehicle as a weapon should be banned for a race, imo. It's all a bit of a shame - I've always rated Perez a lot more highly than that.

Some pretty dodgy (and angry) driving from Perez. When Vettel side-swiped Hamilton last season he at least had the brains to stick to his story (mostly no explanation at all). Perez seems to have effectively admitted suffering a red mist moment while alongside Sirotkin. Frankly I think that warrants a harsh punishment - any motorsport driver/rider who uses their vehicle as a weapon should be banned for a race, imo. It's all a bit of a shame - I've always rated Perez a lot more highly than that.

IMO the fact that Perez owned up to it being a mistake (he said he was trying to cover-off and misjudged it) should make the punishment less harsh than the one Vettel got given.
Vettel thought that he's been brake-checked by Lewis. So he screamed about it on the radio, then drove along side Lewis and then into him, while waving his arms around.
He then preceded to forget about it and didn't understand the penalty.

Eh I don't think so, the race stewards didn't think so either. Remember he had Roman up his inside, having cut T1.
That was my initial thought, had he been pushed or forced by the Haas. On the first replay you can see at least a car's width between Romain and Sergio. That wasn't an excuse, so the blame can only be placed 100% on Perez.

That was my initial thought, had he been pushed or forced by the Haas. On the first replay you can see at least a car's width between Romain and Sergio. That wasn't an excuse, so the blame can only be placed 100% on Perez.

Well, I didn't mean forced wide. But it's turn everyone's on cold tyres and there is little room for error. I don't think it was wise of Ocon to be out there at all. Perez had his attention on the inside and Romain, not on his team mate who came out of his blind side.

Just one of those racing incidents. If it had been any other team I don't think it'd have been such a big deal.

The bigger deal was how Perez then totally threw away his race. He was ahead of Hulk and behind Sirotkin, yet decided to throw it all away and ended up with nothing when Hulk, kept it together and scored a point.

Back