Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,293 comments
Hey guys. Slightly off topic. But I “saved replay” in game for a 992 custom test. And it said saved to my library. I see in in my gran-turismo page under replays it shows them but they won’t play??? Can I not watch or share the replays from my gt7 page?

Hey guys. Slightly off topic. But I “saved replay” in game for a 992 custom test. And it said saved to my library. I see in in my gran-turismo page under replays it shows them but they won’t play??? Can I not watch or share the replays from my gt7 page?
We can only watch replays from the in game Showcase->My Items->Replays->View or right after completing a race.

Ahhh. Thank you sir!! You have been a life saver with the info lately. Well that’s a pia to have to do the share thing and then post to YouTube.

Ahhh. Thank you sir!! You have been a life saver with the info lately. Well that’s a pia to have to do the share thing and then post to YouTube.
Yeah, I don’t know why PD make a site to view everything but the replays. Maybe Someone can explain how complicated it is to enable video from their own site. Too taxing on the servers? Probably why PD don’t enable it. I wish we could watch straight from the Showcase, instead of sending it to YouTube.

Yeah, I don’t know why PD make a site to view everything but the replays. Maybe Someone can explain how complicated it is to enable video from their own site. Too taxing on the servers? Probably why PD don’t enable it. I wish we could watch straight from the Showcase, instead of sending it to YouTube.
The replays aren't video. They're telemetry files that allow GT7 to recreate the race.

In order to be able to view the replays as video on their website, they'd need to run GT7 through a web browser and... yeah. No.

Good stuff!! I have all the same cars and am planning to do the same just been playing with my full 992 grid. Would you mind posting your settings and upgrades for the cars?

There you go!

Attachments

• 18c4020861b54-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18c4020861b54-screenshotUrl.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 18c402133e01-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18c402133e01-screenshotUrl.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 18c4020e17991-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18c4020e17991-screenshotUrl.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 18c4020e17981-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18c4020e17981-screenshotUrl.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 18c4020e17932-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18c4020e17932-screenshotUrl.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 26
  • 18c4020861b70-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18c4020861b70-screenshotUrl.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 18c4020861b87-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18c4020861b87-screenshotUrl.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 18c4020861b100-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18c4020861b100-screenshotUrl.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 18c4020e17827-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18c4020e17827-screenshotUrl.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 28
Ha ha! Fantastic! Thank you!! Between you and 05XR8 I’ve got settings for a few fantastic grids. You use the same settings as the cars? No special tune for the one you drive? And I assume boost weak for race settings?

I usually detune the car I'm using by another 10 power restrictor ticks. For the suspension and transmission settings I usually resort to a Priano tune which can be found in his tuning thread in the tuning section.

Yes, boost is set to weak. The best races I've had are between 10 - 15 laps depending on the track. Be prepared for the Alfas to be destroyed on the straights but magicians in the corners. Happy lapping :)

Im surprised you can swap a VGT engine into another car, are there any others with that? Anyways, very cool.
This I'm unsure about, sorry!

From the Engine Swap Compatibility thread:

Suzuki V8-Suzuki-VGT-Gr.3 (Suzuki Vision GT Gr.3) can be swapped into:
  • Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.3 Road Car
  • BMW M3 '89
  • Subaru BRZ S '15
Swapping a fictional engine into a (half) fictional car is hilarious.

Last edited:
There you go!
Interesting to see your tunes, compared to some of the grids I have set up. I don’t have a DTM grid, personally. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for asking, cfiore :)

How did you land on these tunes/overall balance? i see you refer to Praiano for some starting point, but sounds like you will adjust downforce (power and weight make sense to me as balancing ‘levers’) on your own? Maybe it’s simply a matter of iteration but hoping you’ve learned some ‘rules’ along the way…

How do your downforce adjustments affect the AI? I think I once read in here that it can have the inverse effect from what I’d expect, that AI actually drive more competitively with low downforce (is PP evaluation related to AI performance? thinking how you can raise your value by lowering rear df). Have you ever played around with how the AI drives these cars versus the same cars with no suspension, diff, transmission (basically, the non-PP-altering tuneables) changes compared to stock? Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

I’m living in “keep everything the same and fiddle with ecu/ballast/limiter” land. Looking to get more confident around suspension/downforce tuning for AI BoP purposes.

Interesting to see your tunes, compared to some of the grids I have set up. I don’t have a DTM grid, personally. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for asking, cfiore :)

How did you land on these tunes/overall balance? i see you refer to Praiano for some starting point, but sounds like you will adjust downforce (power and weight make sense to me as balancing ‘levers’) on your own? Maybe it’s simply a matter of iteration but hoping you’ve learned some ‘rules’ along the way…

How do your downforce adjustments affect the AI? I think I once read in here that it can have the inverse effect from what I’d expect, that AI actually drive more competitively with low downforce (is PP evaluation related to AI performance? thinking how you can raise your value by lowering rear df). Have you ever played around with how the AI drives these cars versus the same cars with no suspension, diff, transmission (basically, the non-PP-altering tuneables) changes compared to stock? Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

I’m living in “keep everything the same and fiddle with ecu/ballast/limiter” land. Looking to get more confident around suspension/downforce tuning for AI BoP purposes.

I've never heard about AI driving better with lower DF before. My logic was max down force to minimize braking space needed because I'm trying to balance race cars and road cars.

I'll typically pick one car and give it weight reduction 3,racing tyres, brakes and other bits and go from there.

However I have played with cars that have, and do not have, suspension and transmission. Without suspension and transmission added, the road cars lag far behind. It seems the extra pp they get from the parts makes them more competitive such that the game seems to make those with it faster.

My main method of finding equality for the cars is just testing on one track over and over. For this grid I used Brands Hatch. The track offers a great balance of speed and cornering.

Because the Alfas are the outliers (being race cars), I toy with their power the most. On faster tracks I'll give then 10 or 15 extra hp.

guys i just started to do some custom races of my own....is there still the problem that the system reverts the AI tyres to stock? if i tune all the AI cars do they keep the latest BOP?

guys i just started to do some custom races of my own....is there still the problem that the system reverts the AI tyres to stock? if i tune all the AI cars do they keep the latest BOP?

Yes, unless you equip them with RH tyres.

Tunes will remain unless you turn on bop in your settings. Tyres are the main outlier.

Last edited:
My main method of finding equality for the cars is just testing on one track over and over. For this grid I used Brands Hatch. The track offers a great balance of speed and cornering.

I found it much quicker to do time trials at your preferred track and adjust PP based on the times. I will run all the cars and then strive to match whatever car(s) land in the middle. Slightly detune the fastest and slightly boost the slower cars. It is eye opening how far apart the PPs can be to achieve the same lap times. I can usually get all cars within half a second or better. Since doing this the computer's behavior in races has been much better, closer packs and less "weird" behavior.

There you go!
This is handy - I’ll use these settings for my cars. Will have to find one for the R32 NISMO as I have that for mine instead of the 155 but I’m sure I’ll find something applicable.

Also one quick question, was it intended for the Sierra to have around 40pp more than the rest? Just something for me to consider when applying upgrades that’s all.

Otherwise thank you for putting your settings on show!

This is handy - I’ll use these settings for my cars. Will have to find one for the R32 NISMO as I have that for mine instead of the 155 but I’m sure I’ll find something applicable.

Also one quick question, was it intended for the Sierra to have around 40pp more than the rest? Just something for me to consider when applying upgrades that’s all.

Otherwise thank you for putting your settings on show!
More than welcome! As some players have noted, the pp can range drastically to bring about equal performance. Generally, these cars run at par.

Might play around with these DTM tunes as I find the time, compare our collective balancing methods, see if I can learn something about the AI…

Cosworth’s PP and power-to-weight ratio are way above the others, Alfa noticeably inferior on paper here.

Cosworth tune LOOKS funky, to me, but that’s hardly saying anything as I am definitely not a tuning authority. Still, I notice things like its ride height and camber, though looks like the M3 operates at a similar height. Were we to apply the @Race2Much method, taking those around a TT ourselves, would we not be able to crush the lap in the Cosworth, versus the others? Or is AI ability relatively proportional to our own, consistent across most/all cars/tunes?

“The game seems to make those with it faster” is a concerning but validating thought! @A_Higher_Place I’m sure that comes into it to enough of a degree I am going to drive myself crazy trying to make absolute sense of things…

A lot of beauty in the variety of your grid (0 df on Supra!). All of mine end up with a nearly-identical downforce and suspension setup to date, excited to grow beyond that!

Last edited:
Simply out, as long as all cars have equal parts equipped, you can play with power and DF to find equality.

As you mentioned the Alfa is far inferior in a straight line. But, around the corners they're beastly. None of the others can brake as late, nor can they extra corners as fast.

Admittedly, the white cossie is a bit op and perhaps could be dialed back in power a little.

No matter what I do to the supra, it falls behind. Even at higher pp through more power, it just doesn't keep up.

@pritchyTim, I'm always open to alternative set-ups so I'm keen to hear what your tinkering about comes up with.

Last edited:
Simply out, as long as all cars have equal parts equipped, you can play with power and DF to find equality.

As you mentioned the Alfa is far inferior in a straight line. But, around the corners they're beastly. None of the others can brake as late, nor can they extra corners as fast.

Admittedly, the white cossie is a bit op and perhaps could be dialed back in power a little.

No matter what I do to the supra, it falls behind. Even at higher pp through more power, it just doesn't keep up.

@pritchyTim, I'm always open to alternative set-ups so I'm keen to hear what your tinkering about comes up with.
Funny you mention that with the Supra…I have a NASCAR grid where I initially used the ‘17 Supra (i think that one, maybe ‘18?) and had the exact same issue...fortunately when purchasable engine swaps arrived I could ditch it entirely for the Crown.

I additionally have a Need for Speed grid (the most wanted “blacklist”) where one of the cars is the ‘97 Supra. Same issue. I can’t use it myself unless I throw a COMPLETELY different tune on as the AI requires like a 100 PP advantage.

Maybe some dev who prefers Nissan hardcoded it in… ;) Will keep us posted as I learn stuff, though I likely won’t get to it for several days. This thread scratches my itch in the meantime!

Got in way over my head and way off track, but wanted to follow up on my last suggestion with something. I’ll update the below table as I continue to tinker, for any future passers-by.

Sort of ran away with DTM, then Group A, then added a Porsche 964… I would still like to get back to testing our various methods for balance, but I defaulted to the ‘iterative’ method here, though I am running across several circuits to try and find an aggregate balance (and have some fun variety). So far so good, my tunes were initially based on a cross between what was shared above by @A_Higher_Place, @05XR8’s Gr.A/DTM tunes, and whatever I could dig up online - pretty cool finding PDFs of late ‘80s homologation docs! Ballast/etc. has played a role to chase balance after a few tests, to the detriment of ‘perfect replica.’

Because we all wanted ANOTHER batch of these tunes… hah:

| Car | HP | kg | lbs |
|--------|-----|---------|-------|
| Ford | 426 | 1,100 | 2,425 |
| Supra | 509 | 1,332 | 2,937 |
| R32 | 521 | 1,402 | 3,095 |
|M3 Evo| 350 | 983 | 2,167 |
| 155 | 380 | 1,111 | 2,447 |
| 190E | 356 | 1,046 | 2,304 |
| 964 | 400 | 1,231 | 2,714 |

50/150 downforce as a baseline, though not on the R32 or Supra. Alfa Romeo’s is minimized but thinking the extra rear downforce could be needed to keep it in check. Set homologated gear ratios and adjusted final to bring them all to a common top speed (300kph). My personal tune knocks the Power Restrictor down to 90ish and shortens the final gear to bring the top speed to 280kph. Can share specific tune sheets if there’s interest.

Loaded up a 20-car grid after amassing 10 or so unique cars. Threw a nerfed version of @A_Higher_Place’s swapped M3 in there for good measure and had a great 10-lapper on a randomized Spa. I finished 4th in a Cosworth.

Thanks for all the inspiration, gang!

IMG_4884.jpeg

IMG_4882.jpeg

IMG_4879.jpeg

IMG_4878.jpeg

IMG_4877.jpeg

Back