Gran Turismo Movie Thread

• Thread starter ro_har_
  • 1,255 comments
I'm not sure that these people have heard about show, don't tell. Don't have your actors telling me about how awesome the movie is, just show me parts of the movie that would make me think that it's awesome.

Lol what are you on? Show don’t tell is an old adage about minimizing the amount of exposition given about a character or story's in-universe background and actually showing the audience the extent of what’s being discussed by the characters rather than having them just say how bad or good it was in dialogue (again in the context of within a fictional work).

This is a promotional video so of course they’re going to try to hype it up, show some behind the scenes and get the actors to say how much they’re excited about it. But love how the actual trailers aren’t even out and we’re already critiquing the direction of a promotional video of all things which in reality is mostly just a logo drop and update on the production of the movie to fans.

Last edited:
I'm embarrased to say that I'm a bit intrigued with this after seeing those race scenes. The cinematography at least looks great.

Cough cough
View attachment 1220733
also the GT2 logo
514GZ3W9EPL._AC_.jpg
He means the font. Which doesn't sit right with me either and I really don't know why they did it.

Kaz goes on about wanting to build brand awareness, and then changes part of the brand that's been there for over 25 years.

It'd be understandable if it changed now and again, but it's been consistent since day one, and isn't something that's hard to get right.

I'm curious to see how this'll stack up against Ford v Ferrari/Le Mans '66, which was probably one of the best racing movies we've had in recent years. Racing scenes look good so far, pretty faithful to the games.

Cinematics looking quiet nice with refreshing camera angles. Bit worried about my motorsport nerdism seeing the Hungaroring in every shot with every car class maybe representing tracks around the world.

I'll be watching it for sure, and I've only seen around 5 films in as many years.

Bigger, more exciting news than the psvr2 thing...

;)

Could be totally cr4p, as most car centric films tend to be, sound appears excellent and adrenaline, intensity of races/driving seems to be captured well even if story and acting ends up being naff.

Last edited:
Cinematics looking quiet nice with refreshing camera angles. Bit worried about my motorsport nerdism seeing the Hungaroring in every shot with every car class maybe representing tracks around the world.
Given the budget, they’re probably compositing lots of the real world action into representations of the real track, ie Le Mans. The overhead shot with the helicopter at the start only had the pit-lane and kerbing dressed-up. They didn’t try to put a crowd in, or landmarks like the Dunlop bridge.

I'm curious to see how this'll stack up against Ford v Ferrari/Le Mans '66, which was probably one of the best racing movies we've had in recent years. Racing scenes look good so far, pretty faithful to the games.

I think that's exactly why I think it looks awful - they all look like lifeless GT7 screensaver replays. The shot looking backwards in the rain was nice, and that was the one shot that didn't remind me of GT replays.

Directors have to be clever with choreographing racing or car chase scenes because they are always looking to depict scenarios that are bigger or riskier or faster than the stunts they are permitted or able to actually film.

So when you see wide shots that show everything so you can see stunt drivers just driving painfully slow like Gran Turismo AI it just looks incredibly unspectacular. And its an action scene, it's supposed to get the blood pumping, and what I'm seeing doesn't do that for me

Im hoping they have kept the best racing scenes for the movie but looking at this trailer I think this will be much worse than Ford vs Ferrari in every aspect.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that these people have heard about show, don't tell. Don't have your actors telling me about how awesome the movie is, just show me parts of the movie that would make me think that it's awesome.
It's a featurette focusing on the cameras used in the movie since it was part of Sony's CES conference.

I’m waiting for the gift code for those that saw the movie. Unlocks liveries or certain cars featured in scenes.
It will be on the post credits scene :D

Honestly, if they keep the beauty and good taste PD always deliver to us, this is going to be a excellent movie!

Last edited:
I am aware but so far the entire thing dosen't justify nor does it make any sense for a movie imo.
Why not?

It's an almost unbelieveable story of a kid who won a competition playing racing games and ended up driving in the most famous race in the world (though I think they're focussing on the LMP2 class podium and not the LMP1-H class... junker he drove) - except it's actually a thing that happened. I'm not sure how an actual story of a thing that really happened but sounds fictional doesn't make sense for a movie.

As for no Gran Turismo in it:

1672933403279.png

🤷‍♂️

Back