2017 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 1,065 comments
Believe what you will then. I'm not convinced a manufacturer switch and two new drivers will do much. 1 win with Sato (when he didn't wreck a car) was all they could do, I doubt two fast American drivers will do more for them.

But sure, lets believe America has been made great again.

You realize there's only one American driver on the team now right? You also realize Chevrolet is by far the best kit in the Series. Without a doubt their results will be better next year.

Not for 20 yrs. The infamous rainbow warriors were the start of the change to former college athletes being hired to only do pit stops. There is no top level team in NASCAR that still uses mechanics for pit stops.

I agree with you that IndyCar teams have a massive work load on a weekend. There are still some Cup teams that have guys do both. I've seen it personally and spoke to the whole #2 crew in the garage this year at Watkins Glen. Although I'm sure there are some teams who fly guys in for the race.

You realize there's only one American driver on the team now right? You also realize Chevrolet is by far the best kit in the Series. Without a doubt their results will be better next year.

That team also has some clever engineers (something a driver trashing his crew would never acknowledge) and guess what? Its not gonna mean anything if management isn't willing to listen to their team and make changes (again, something said driver "Trashing his team" mention). I know everyone is high on the idea that finally we got American drivers in some seats but unless Larry Foyt is willing to listen to the team and make the changes his team wants, its not gonna do anything. I'm just not confident a brand new suit and one new member will be enough to make the leader of the group any more willing to listen.

That team also has some clever engineers (something a driver trashing his crew would never acknowledge) and guess what? Its not gonna mean anything if management isn't willing to listen to their team and make changes (again, something said driver "Trashing his team" mention). I know everyone is high on the idea that finally we got American drivers in some seats but unless Larry Foyt is willing to listen to the team and make the changes his team wants, its not gonna do anything. I'm just not confident a brand new suit and one new member will be enough to make the leader of the group any more willing to listen.

They added one American driver who basically out performed both Sato and Hawksworth. They also added Munoz who was the top Andretti driver last season in points. With Chevy kits they should be faster. I didn't read the article, just stating my opinion on Hawksworth and the Foyt team the last few years.

eh, depends on the team still, ECR has been the only team other then Penske and Ganssasi that has done anything with the Chevy kit, the gap between the two isn't that large, just highlighted more on the ovals.

eh, depends on the team still, ECR has been the only team other then Penske and Ganssasi that has done anything with the Chevy kit, the gap between the two isn't that large, just highlighted more on the ovals.

The only other team with a Chevy kit was KV and they won a race. If the Hondas were allowed to get rid of the cover they run on the rear bumpers they would have more success DF wise.

The only other team with a Chevy kit was KV and they won a race. If the Hondas were allowed to get rid of the cover they run on the rear bumpers they would have more success DF wise.
yeah but KV have been useless outside of odd wins.

When the best two teams have the same kit the gap is made to look bigger then it is.

They added one American driver who basically out performed both Sato and Hawksworth. They also added Munoz who was the top Andretti driver last season in points. With Chevy kits they should be faster. I didn't read the article, just stating my opinion on Hawksworth and the Foyt team the last few years.

Well in a Nutshell, Hawksworth is basically saying the management is what is wrong with the team (Which more often then not, IS a major factor). If Larry Foyt were willing to make the in-team changes below the surface, then these new drivers AND manufacturer change would be a bigger deal. If this team continues to perform that same its been doing with one of the best young American drivers on its team, then its a major sign that the management itself still isn't listening.

And of course Hawkworth hasn't done much at Foyt's team. You have a team run by a guy who was beyond garbage at racing in Nascar, which was against AJ's advice (after he himself was let go from the family team). That alone (to me anyway) spells out how he might be as a boss.

yeah but KV have been useless outside of odd wins.

When the best two teams have the same kit the gap is made to look bigger then it is.

Bourdais had shown speed a lot through out the year. ECR was fast as well. I guess we shall see this year with CGR using the Honda kit this season.

Well in a Nutshell, Hawksworth is basically saying the management is what is wrong with the team (Which more often then not, IS a major factor). If Larry Foyt were willing to make the in-team changes below the surface, then these new drivers AND manufacturer change would be a bigger deal. If this team continues to perform that same its been doing with one of the best young American drivers on its team, then its a major sign that the management itself still isn't listening.

And of course Hawkworth hasn't done much at Foyt's team. You have a team run by a guy who was beyond garbage at racing in Nascar, which was against AJ's advice (after he himself was let go from the family team). That alone (to me anyway) spells out how he might be as a boss.

I think his success as a driver is irrelevant. Management didn't do the bonehead moves both drivers made over the course of the last few seasons. I like Sato, awesome dude and I hope it works at Andretti.

Here's what the 2017 Indy Car Broadcast Schedule should look like:

St. Pete, Indy-Detroit on ABC
Rounds 3-4, 9, 11, 14, 16, 17, on NBCSN
Rounds 2, 10, 12-13, 15 on NBC

I HATE EDDIE CHEEVER!! He won an IRL title and a Indy 500 race against the weakest professional open wheel field ever assembled for a "major" race

Last edited:
I HATE EDDIE CHEEVER!! He won an IRL title and a Indy 500 race against the weakest professional open wheel field ever assembled for a "major" race

I could argue that Buddy Lazier had a weaker field overall in 1996, but he won that Indy 500 with a kind/sort of broken back so he get's a pass in my book.

What really makes me giggle is that Cheever was born and grew up in Italy, learned to speak Italian before he learned to speak English, went up the European ladder series and landed in F1 for quite a while, but when he came back to race in CART & The Indy Racing League he put on a "I'm a true-red-blooded 'murrican patriot like all y'all!" schtick that's just seems so cheesy to me...

I could argue that Buddy Lazier had a weaker field overall in 1996, but he won that Indy 500 with a kind/sort of broken back so he get's a pass in my book.

What really makes me giggle is that Cheever was born and grew up in Italy, learned to speak Italian before he learned to speak English, went up the European ladder series and landed in F1 for quite a while, but when he came back to race in CART & The Indy Racing League he put on a "I'm a true-red-blooded 'murrican patriot like all y'all!" schtick that's just seems so cheesy to me...

Broken back or not I don`t consider Lazier a proper Indy 500 Winner. As soon as the CART guys came over he showed he wasn`t on the same level.

Broken back or not I don`t consider Lazier a proper Indy 500 Winner. As soon as the CART guys came over he showed he wasn`t on the same level.

Lazier was a touch past his best in '96 and spent many years in CART driving for under-funded teams with sub-par equipment. At the same time I always felt that he was driving for one of the best teams that year (Either of Hemelgarn Racing's 2 cars, any of John Menard's 4-car Armada and Arie Luyendyk in the Jonathan Byrd's Special were the odds-on favorites to win that year) and made real no mistakes that day.

I don't consider any champions as illegitimate. They were the best in the conditions they had. Disputing Lazier as champion means you might as well dispute everyone before 2003. He did the best he could, got the pretty trophy, all fine and dandy. My problem with Lazier now is that he's taking up an Indy 500 spot, which could go to any number of more competitive people. Hell, I think Milka Duno would be more competitive at this point than he has.

Here's what the 2017 Indy Car Broadcast Schedule should look like:

St. Pete, Indy-Detroit on ABC
Rounds 3-4, 9, 11, 14, 16, 17, on NBCSN
Rounds 2, 10, 12-13, 15 on NBC
I would give ABC only the Indy 500 (tradition) or nothing at all.

Lazier was a touch past his best in '96 and spent many years in CART driving for under-funded teams with sub-par equipment. At the same time I always felt that he was driving for one of the best teams that year (Either of Hemelgarn Racing's 2 cars, any of John Menard's 4-car Armada and Arie Luyendyk in the Jonathan Byrd's Special were the odds-on favorites to win that year) and made real no mistakes that day.

Of course he's still a champion whether it was a talented series or not. My point is without the split Lazier would have never been much of anything as far as history is concerned. I think the Indy 500 2000 on is where I would consider the fields to be more talented since the CART teams came back over. 2003 the IRL field was loaded with top teams and drivers. Still had some IRL guys but never the less a talented field. Lazier did line up and beat who he raced at Indy in 96 I'll give him that. I just kinda look at the 500s 96-99 with a grain of salt.

Personally I like Sato. I think he's great with fans and and an all around good dude. Grant it without his money from Japan he wouldn't have landed the ride I still wish him the best and hope it works out.

Back