2017 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 1,065 comments
Eva
IndyCar is growing and implementing a cheaper aero kit to bring in a new OEM and increase entries. Even if at a slow rate, progress is progress.
Eh, I suppose I'm just jaded and bitter about hearing how "Everything will totally turn around next year guys I swear!" from Indycar's acting CEO, only to have it blow up in their face and either come up being a big fat load of nothing or such a catastrophe it costs people their jobs, or worse...

Histotrically, Indycar Racing has had a bad case of "One Step Forward, Five Steps Back" with almost every decision the biggest sanctioning body of the time has made, so I'll believe a third engine manufacturer and overseas expansion races when I see them.

Honestly the biggest and best step IndyCar can make is a good choice on T.V. Coverage. I'm almost happy now that they upload the full race on youtube about a week later, the worst thing that's happening to motorsport globally is this massive greedy cash grab that VASC and WEC have implemented, taken the sport away from the little guy until we pay for cable T.V or an app, which is why products like IMSA, Blancpain and Super GT are managing to drop the 'cult following' and growing in external regions,

It just seems to me that IndyCar is constantly relying on the spectacle that is the Indy 500 for marketing the entire series, unfortunately the event doesn't carry the marketing weight that it used to,

And the other thing IndyCar could benefit from is another dedicated video game,

Last edited:
Can anyone give me some insight on going to Belle Isle as a spectator? I'm on the fence right now on whether or not I want to go.

Are you pretty much confined to the grandstands? Or can you walk around freely and explore most of the track?

I went to Road America last year and the track access was incredible. I'm not expecting that level of access at Belle Isle, but I'd rather not sit on a grandstand all day either. I found a couple fan videos on Youtube and they didn't look too promising.

Thanks.

KIMG0070.jpg
Going to Indy GP. Going to me my first Road course race I watch in person. Excited!!

Wiz
Can anyone give me some insight on going to Belle Isle as a spectator? I'm on the fence right now on whether or not I want to go.

Are you pretty much confined to the grandstands? Or can you walk around freely and explore most of the track?

I went to Road America last year and the track access was incredible. I'm not expecting that level of access at Belle Isle, but I'd rather not sit on a grandstand all day either. I found a couple fan videos on Youtube and they didn't look too promising.

Thanks.
You have a bit of mobility at Belle Isle but nothing spectacular, kinda like the track itself.

I hope you folks like ESPN/ABC IndyCar coverage because they gots it between Indy road course and Detroit. Otherwise, I'll be sure to check out the Indy road course action. Good luck to all drivers and teams.

Will Power leading. He could get it done today.
Montoya has had bad pit stops, so he's fallen as low as 12th, but is slowly working his way forward. Up to 10th.

Edit: He's starting to fade. Just lost 10th to Rossi.

How long are the Indy 500 Practice sessions? The indycar app says they start at 12:00, but doesn't say how long they are.

C_4XHL8XcAIZyn9.jpg

Two Monaco winners having a chat in the middle of Indiana.
That is an awesome photo!

Now that the Indy 500 festivities have officially begun with the first practice session today, the 500 thread is now up and running:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/101st-indianapolis-500-28-may-2017.355887/

I've tried to do an improved thread over last years by including separate posts for session broadcasts and top 5 results. These two additions are tagged as spoilers to prevent unwanted disclosure of results and for our users with lower speeds or data restrictions. I greatly appreciate feedback on things I should amend.

Last year there was a discussion on the purpose of a thread for the Indianapolis 500, here are my reasons for posting it again:

1. Easier for newer and unfamiliar members to find race discussion (instead of the middle of the series thread)
2. Has been posted numerous years past
3. Being part of the motorsport triple crown and Indycar's most famous race gives it more attention from both series fans and newcomers
4. Prevents non-Indy 500 Indycar news from getting buried amongst Indy 500 discussion.

Last edited:
Back