Hey there sexy.
07-24-Honda-2018-QuarterAngle-FullWidth.jpg

07-24-Chevy-2018-Sidepod-FullWidth.jpg
07-24-Chevy-2018-Cowling-FullWidth.jpg

07-24-NewCarUnveil.jpg

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/07/07-24-New-car-unveil

HELL TO THE YES AMERICAN OPEN WHEEL CARS ARE SEXY AGAIN! :gtpflag:

Looks good to accommodate the Halo. :lol:
Thank God Indycar isn't run but the dorks at the FIA, qnd we won't be getting the world's most useless piece of carbon fiber.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kinda annoys me is that I don't really think there was anything that prevented them from making them look that nice in the first place.
There really wasn't. But safety outweighed appearance so much that they didn't care.

Eva
There really wasn't. But safety outweighed appearance so much that they didn't care.
"Safety", the halo would only protect against a huge piece of debris, the most dangerous smaller debris can still easily get through. A horrendous band-aid.

"Safety", the halo would only protect against a huge piece of debris, the most dangerous smaller debris can still easily get through. A horrendous band-aid.
I'm referring to the original DW12 design. Let the halo go. It's never had a relationship with IndyCar.

Indycar are working on an Aero-screen though. The difference is they aren't going to unveil it until it is absolutely 100% ready to put on a car and won't cause drivers to get "Dizzy".

Also, I feel that you kind of missed the point of what "Safety" in the Indycar paddock means compared to F1, because again the DW12 needed to be built in such a way that it could exceed to the FIA's standard for F1's "Survival Cells" due to the extreme g-forces that crashes on ovals can produce.

Lastly, goodness I can't wait for the "New" chassis to start being used next year, because it somehow looks even better in the carbon than in a render.

Here's hoping the new chassis rumored to be in the cards for 2021 can be just a smidgen like these beasts were. Heck, I'll take the next truly new Indycar looking like a knock-off of Project CARS 2's Formula X design honestly.

The way they have incorporated modern safety elements into a flowing retro-esque design is brilliant and elegant. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. Finally!

Qualifying record is not the goal for now. http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/142567-indycar-2018-testing-live-blog

"On the sim, the car felt very similar," he told RACER. "In race trim, it was about 1.5mph faster. In qualifying trim, it was slower, but that's what they're targeting. They don't want us to go faster than we're already going in qualifying, but in race trim, at the same downforce number [from the 2017 race], it was faster. I think the big difference will be in traffic.

"With the low engine cover making less drag and the bigger floor making more of the downforce, we should be more stable following cars and that should help passing that we expected. Aside from looks, that part is really impressive."

More like this http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/142565-gallery-indycar-s-2018-bodywork-up-close

MarshallPruett_IndyCar_2018BodyworkTest72517__0132a-13758-900-506-80-c.jpg

Last edited:

If anybody wonders what and why the split happened, this is the best and shortest answer I have seen from Miller's mailbag this week. http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoint...ted-by-honda-racing-hpd?showall=1&limitstart=

RM: There's not enough time or space to explain it Andy, so here's the Cliff's Notes version:

The CART owners put Tony George on their board in a non-voting role after he took over IMS, but they really didn't care much what he thought. And, to be fair, he never spoke up in the meetings. He made an amateur-hour attempt to buy CART in 1991, and was pretty much told to take a hike. As the story goes, on the plane flight home from Houston, he vowed to show CART his muscle by bringing NASCAR to the Brickyard. TG didn't like engine leases, the fact IndyCar was more and more about road/street racing and not ovals, and that car owners made the rules as they went along. With a little prodding from Bill France Jr. and a few other owners and officials that were disgruntled with CART, George was encouraged to start his own all-oval series to restore American drivers and manufacturers to Indianapolis.

He warned his mother in April of 1995 that a lot of those CART teams competing next month might not be back in 1996 because he was changing the qualifying rules. Reserving 25 of the 33 spots for Indy Racing League members in 1996 was supposed to force CART's hand, because TG was convinced their sponsors wouldn't miss Indianapolis. He was wrong. CART staged the U.S. 500 at Michigan the same day as Indy in '96 and the bottom fell out of the month of May. It's been a two-day event (Carb Day and Race Day) ever since. Despite its embarrassing crash on the first lap at Michigan, CART stayed strong in the late '90s with good numbers (crowds, cars, manufacturers, sponsors) before Ganassi crossed the picket line in 2000 and won Indy with Juan Pablo Montoya.

Roger Penske, the man who co-founded CART and vilified George after The Split, followed suit in 2001 and jumped series in 2002. That was the beginning of the end for CART, as Ganassi, Team Green, Rahal, etc. also abandoned the mothership and only Newman/Haas and Forsythe stayed. George tried to buy CART but Kevin Kalkhoven and Forsythe won out in bankruptcy court, and Champ Car slogged around from 2003-2007 until TG put everyone back together in 2008.

By that time, the IRL had engine leases, lots of foreign drivers and road racing. George spent a fortune trying to prove his point, and was finally ousted by his family in 2009. His idea might have worked in the late '80s, but he couldn't have picked a worse time to divide open wheel racing than the mid-90s. Forsythe quit racing because he felt Tony had won the war, but as well all know now there was only one winner – NASCAR.

Last edited:
Back