Future Of Gran Turismo (Discussion)

i hope that it will improve over the previous title. I'm kind of thinking that GT6 is just and experimental play ground for pd and then when gt7 comes around, it will have all the stuff people wanted, and they'll throw away everything thats useless. I think gt6 is just a plan for gt7, a mind map maybe aswell.

I think the series will die with GT7 and I honestly dont care anymore (used to wake up, live, breath, and sleep with GT, but have compeltely given up on this game series and PD)

I do not see PD making major improvements to freshen the series up. The last 2 installments had some major issues. Kazunori has already stated standards will be back in GT7 (deducing from this, they wont overhaul other aspects either). I think they will focus yet agian mainly on graphics and adding more premium cars, an neglectic other features that are important for the gameplay.
I do not think the AI will be much better, nor will the online features be on par with other games with online functionality. Damage will still be very minor and nothing even close to the competition. The tuning aspects will have absolutely NO major changes (you'll still see the same 3 spring kits, the same turbo kits, the same everything, maybe with some minor things added). I also do not expect much from the course maker (it will probably be there, but limited to the amount of being nothing more than a gimmick, instead of a fully advanced feature). But MOST importantly, i believe PD will keep giving the fans this update/DLC bullcrap that getś delayed every time, and they will keep advertising with features that will not be implemented on release and fans have to wait (for god knows how long) and hope it will be implemented afterwards. Also, PD will also will fail to communicate with the community, just as they fail doing that now and in the past.

Times have changed and people have embraced technology and the internet in the past 10 years. Communication is now of utmost importance and there are many ways for companies to stay in touch with consumers (facebook, twitter, google+, etc. etc.). If PD doesnt change their way of interacting with customers, more and more people will give up on this company and itś subpar product (the GT series really is subpar within itś genre nowadays, the competition has already surpassed the GT series, i believe).

These are all my opinions and views on how GT will be in the future. I honestly believe GT7 and any future GT will be nothing more than a big hype (as usual), only to be completely disregared by the community and long time fans in a short amount of time after release. I also believe other racing games have already surpassed the GT series except for 1 feature: the advertised amount of playable cars (though other aspects of a racing game, which the competition DOES have, are much much more important and I believe the consumer is starting to notice those other important features (i.e.: A.I., online and community features, damage, livery editor, consistency in the game (i.e., no standard and premium cars, but all cars have the same amount of detail), and many many many other small things related to the design of a game, that, if not done correctly, irritate the hell out of you and spoil the game and fun for the player (for examples of these, see below two threads:
- https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...e-options-please-op-updated-16th-sept.304971/
- https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/things-in-gt6-you-want-fixed-please-read-bold-first.291914)))

I am not satisfied with the way PD handles things and thus, i vote with my wallet (am too old to stay a fan, even if it has given me a lot of joy in the past, i dont care since the series has gone to complete rubbish in the past few years, in my opinion)

Last edited:
@FoxHound Thankfully now we have many great options. I also voted with my wallet, was already impatient and wanted to move on to a "next-gen" console (current gen nowadays) so I got the XB1 once Kaz announced standards would be staying in GT7. Before playing FM5 I thought I would be alternating between it and GT6 but a few months later I have found no reason nor desire to turn on my PS3, that GT6 copy has been collecting dust ever since and I am not missing it one bit. If Forza is not of your liking (which by the way I recommend due to it having damage, great A.I., standing starts and the thrill of having to go through turn one alive and awesome sounds just to name a few things) well there is the PC world with the best sims on the market.

The good thing about making a move now to a different system is that you will automatically shift your focus away from having to wait for news of upcoming features, release dates and you will just relax, those things won't bother you anymore. It is funny how watching from the sideline gives you a whole different perspective on PD and the way they do business. For instance now looking back as more or less an ex-fan (I'd still buy it if they get their act together but maybe will be GT8 or 9, definitely be skipping 7) it seems even more ridiculous what GT fans have to put up with, for instance waiting for five years for GT5 to come out and for only to be released with assets from PS2 era, wax melt looking damage, commodore 64 worthy A.I., etc. I mean it is a joke but you truly see how bad it is once you are finally out.

@Fat Tyre,

Well actually, at the moment iḿ not much into gaming any more (basically dont have much time and have other great hobbies as well). You hit the nail though with saying your perspective on PD and the way they do business changes once you look at it from the sidelines. I too have skipped GT6 after my dissatisfaction with GT5 (i have played since GT1) and after GT5, i honestly lost all interest in the series and basically cant be fooled by PD anymore with all their nonsense and hyping. It all feels 'same old same old'. Since i have basically quit GT all together and from time to time come to this site to view the news, i am basically looking at this whole game and PD from the sidelines and am to this date shocked how much the fans take from PD.
In any other business, there would be a massive backslash to the company if a company advertises and hypes certain features of their products, but then doesnt deliver. I have read so much news in the past few years of companies making mistakes and the same companies getting huge backslashes from their customers. The result was always those companies made the headlines in a negative way and them apologizing on social media to their customers.
Yet somehow, with GT and PD, it seems the fans can take so much more or are simply ignorant of the incorrect way PD drives business, and PD seems to get away with it.

There is nothing magic about PD...itś not a 'childhood friend', it hasnt done anything for anybody except take the customerś money and in the past few years, they deceived their fans and released unfinished games, promised features and fail to implement them, make the same mistakes on iterations of their products (see the links i posted in my previous comment), and somehow just refuse or are not willing to take the time ot communicate with their fanbase. Mind is seriously blown at how such a huge company (once read their budget for GT6 was $60 million or so, which i call huge) fails such basic business aspects in the time we live in...

Besides, other companies have surpassed them in almost any way, yet there are no signs for the public fanbase whether PD is taking actions to close the gap between them and their competitors....talk about a ticking timebomb, waiting to explode into failure (read: GT series as a matter of time to become insignificant as a racing game)

Last edited:
@FoxHound You were smart enough to skip GT6, I got the Collector's Edition. I mainly wanted the advertised Apex 2.0 book. Not PDF but the book, you should have seen my face when I went to collect the game and I was told there was nothing else besides the disc and a download code. This was rectified months later with the IOS app but for those with Android phones/tablets it must have been a pain.

In any other business, there would be a massive backslash to the company if a company advertises and hypes certain features of their products, but then doesnt deliver. I have read so much news in the past few years of companies making mistakes and the same companies getting huge backslashes from their customers. The result was always those companies made the headlines in a negative way and them apologizing on social media to their customers.
Yet somehow, with GT and PD, it seems the fans can take so much more or are simply ignorant of the incorrect way PD drives business, and PD seems to get away with it.

I fully agree with what you say. Although we haven't seen a huge backlash if you think about the drop in sales (GT5 selling 10+ million copies, GT6 estimated sales around 2.5+ million sales) that does say a lot. And then if you read through the forum you will see that aside from the ultra hardcore fans who would even buy a hot steamy turd if it would have the GT logo on it and still claim it is the best turd with the best turd-physics it seems that people are starting to realize that GT's best days are long gone. A new system always brings new feelings of hope and I am sure PD will capitalize on that and create the biggest, baddest hype train ever only to disappoint people once again. Time will tell.

There is nothing magic about PD...itś not a 'childhood friend', it hasnt done anything for anybody except take the customerś money and in the past few years...and somehow just refuse or are not willing to take the time ot communicate with their fanbase. ...

The lack of communication is certainly atrocious and inexcusable but IMO they do it to create tension, which is the fuel for their Hype Train. They sort of need that since they always release games so far apart from each other.

While I agree that PD hasn't been in form with the last 2 GT titles, I feel it's negative to say that GT7 will be the final lethal blow to kill the series. Yes you're entitled to vote with your wallets and yes you can move to another platform or play another game but seriously, this negativity has to stop even if it's the blunt truth.

Granted that PD needs to work on their business practices and listen more to their community. Also granted that some, note: SOME fans are ignorant but you'll also get fans that will support the series in such a way that it will grow properly. not everyone is on the "Screw GT Bandwagon" and same goes to the "Hype Train".

What I can be happy about is that at least they're taking some steps to improve the series and listen to the community. Also, there's the promise that big things will happen on the PS4, which I can believe with the exclusives I've seen so far. However since we haven't seen any footage of GT7 yet, I can't say that action is there but I will presume that it is.

I just hope against all odds that GT7 will be the GT that brings the Game Changer aspect back into the racing genre.

There is a 26 minutes interview with Yamauchi here, but its in japanese. :(
This link is part of PlayStation's 20 year anniversary and maybe there is small talk about future of GT, but I dont know!

PlayStation Experience event will take place in december and they said:
Attendees will also get an exclusive first look at what’s coming next in 2015, which I am told you will not want to miss.
Maybe (maybe!) its time for announcing new GT, the most popular PlayStation IP in the PlayStation anniversary.

This link is part of PlayStation's 20 year anniversary and maybe there is small talk about future of GT, but I dont know!

Attendees will also get an exclusive first look at what’s coming next in 2015, which I am told you will not want to miss.
Maybe (maybe!) its time for announcing new GT, the most popular PlayStation IP in the PlayStation anniversary.

Good call!

@Jordan can we get some translators up in here please if possible ?

I don't think we see an announcement of the next game just yet. I'd be really surprised if we get GT7 before the holidays in 2016 but that bolded line makes me second guess that. Maybe they're talking about big updates for GT6? DLC aswell maybe?

I have a few bullet points that I think PD should focus great effort on:
  • Artificial Intelligence must improve greatly.
  • The design of the career mode must be overhauled and expanded to match or succeed Gran Turismo 4. The return of dedicated full length endurance racing and the option of utilizing B-spec within the races.
  • The way races are carried out must be overhauled as well. A flag system, a penalty system and a qualification system should go hand in hand with a greatly improved A.I algorythm that puts up a fight. Longer races would also be welcome.
  • The game's sound design, which is supposedly being worked on already should also improve greatly, allowing for much improvement in immersion.
  • The Car list should take a hit in numbers, there are far too many cars that are too similar to each other and they're pretty much pointless.
  • Consistent quality with assets all around would help the game's reputation greatly.
  • Automotive photography must also expand beyond GT5 and GT6's offering.
  • All tracks must have an upgrade in graphical fidelity.
  • PD should expand upon the environmental simulation, Nighttime, daytime, snow, rain, hailstorms, whatever mother nature wants to hurt us with. They should also make it available for all tracks.
  • A damage engine better than GT5's, and for all cars. Parts deforming and falling off. Mechanical failures, blowouts, etc.
Agree with pretty much all of this.

To elaborate:
The AI needs to be more human-like. They must want to win, and some of them must want victory so bad that they'll take chances that could cost them their current position. With a good damage model in the game, they must also be as afraid of damaging their cars as the human players are. AI players should be able to make mistakes, and the penalty system in the game should punish them if they cause an accident.

I don't play much online myself, so I'm not sure how useful or wanted this feature would be, but I've been thinking that online races should perhaps have a referee-mode option where humans could step in to control the game's penalty system. The mode should give them an easy way to replay situations anywhere on the track so that they can make a quick and accurate judgement.

All tracks should have variable time, and variable weather that includes any weather type you could get in the area of the world the track is located. Of course, many racing events won't be held in all types of weather. It's not like le mans would ever be held in december (is there?) I guess it's fine to omit weather types that would cause the track to be closed down.

A fun thing I've been thinking about, but that might not actually be realistic to implement, is a feature that checks online to give you the same weather and time as a track has in real life. I mean think about it. You could have an online le mans 24h race, at the same time as the race is going on in real life, with the same weather as the drivers are experiencing in real life. How cool isn't that?

For photography, I'd like a way to manually control the camera focus, and also better "bokeh"effects. Emulating things such as ISO noise would be a nice feature too. I'd also like to see even higher res images to be generated, and it would also be cool if the game could output the image in a format with a higher dynamic range than what's viewable on typical displays. That would allow for more post-processing in photo editors for those who like that stuff.

We should also be able to use any track in the game in photomode, and position cars freely on them, and have a setting that gives the car "speed" in the shots, without us having to actually drive them around the track.

Last edited:
@Jordan can we get some translators up in here please if possible ?
A rough overview/translation of that video interview is available from @Yui-san here.

I have requested an official translation of the video by Sony, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Nevertheless, I don't think there is any major news revealed in the discussion, though it would be interesting to listen to.

My wish for GT7.

I want the game play of GT1; more championship races, testing on the track before qualifying (maybe with the AI cars as well), qualifying runs and credits earned for getting pole (start in pit box, warm up lap, qualy run, cool down lap, end in pit box), decent AI, power limited races, realistic damage (engine/gearbox/brake failure as a random feature or tied to how hard you are pushing the car).

Could online be run along similar lines?
Yes I want the cars to look good, sound good and feel good.
I want to be able to Race modify any car within in the game.

I hate that you have to buy a single make of car to run a certain competition to win the same make of car! You end up with 2 of the same make of car which you probably won't ever use again.

A rough overview/translation of that video interview is available from @Yui-san here.

I have requested an official translation of the video by Sony, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Nevertheless, I don't think there is any major news revealed in the discussion, though it would be interesting to listen to.

Oh it's of that video then. Sorry, Thought it was a new scoop

Agree with pretty much all of this.

To elaborate:
The AI needs to be more human-like. They must want to win, and some of them must want victory so bad that they'll take chances that could cost them their current position. With a good damage model in the game, they must also be as afraid of damaging their cars as the human players are. AI players should be able to make mistakes, and the penalty system in the game should punish them if they cause an accident.

I don't play much online myself, so I'm not sure how useful or wanted this feature would be, but I've been thinking that online races should perhaps have a referee-mode option where humans could step in to control the game's penalty system. The mode should give them an easy way to replay situations anywhere on the track so that they can make a quick and accurate judgement.

All tracks should have variable time, and variable weather that includes any weather type you could get in the area of the world the track is located. Of course, many racing events won't be held in all types of weather. It's not like le mans would ever be held in december (is there?) I guess it's fine to omit weather types that would cause the track to be closed down.

A fun thing I've been thinking about, but that might not actually be realistic to implement, is a feature that checks online to give you the same weather and time as a track has in real life. I mean think about it. You could have an online le mans 24h race, at the same time as the race is going on in real life, with the same weather as the drivers are experiencing in real life. How cool isn't that?

For photography, I'd like a way to manually control the camera focus, and also better "bokeh"effects. Emulating things such as ISO noise would be a nice feature too. I'd also like to see even higher res images to be generated, and it would also be cool if the game could output the image in a format with a higher dynamic range than what's viewable on typical displays. That would allow for more post-processing in photo editors for those who like that stuff.

We should also be able to use any track in the game in photomode, and position cars freely on them, and have a setting that gives the car "speed" in the shots, without us having to actually drive them around the track.
The real time weather feature is available in the upcoming Project Cars. They've also taken it one step further and made historical weather available, back to 2012 if memory serves. Of course it won't be specific to a given point on the map but the general weather conditions for the area.

I think it would be a great addition to the series and probably not that difficult to implement.

The real time weather feature is available in the upcoming Project Cars. They've also taken it one step further and made historical weather available, back to 2012 if memory serves. Of course it won't be specific to a given point on the map but the general weather conditions for the area.

I think it would be a great addition to the series and probably not that difficult to implement.
That's cool. Hear that, Kaz? You can't let Pcars best you on weather, can you?

Doubt he's mad, but I don't think he'll be shaking hands with you anytime soon either, unless you wash them thoroughly first of course.

Ya but the problem is there's not a whole lot to wash off on my end, imo there's a thick film of cynicism that would need to be removed on his end to be worth shaking hands with over this Gran Turismo 7 Future topic. We know of nothing and the degrading chatter between him and FoxHound is past what I find productive. This thread is already tainted with mass presumptions and non-sense.

I think his (repetitive gripes with PD) (re)post was to seek the attention of somebody. That somebody can only be PD themselves, or to convince the general public browsing the forums what a tremendous flop GT 5 and 6 have been and that PD owes the world the most perfect flawless game.. ya.. why don't we just wait first?

Nope, you mad I ain't even mad?

Not really, but it would make sense since I don't do criticism like you. And I am a fairly critical person in just about every area of discussion on things that truely matter in this world. Constructive and positive criticism that is, not just knocking every effort someone makes or laughing at them when something didn't go as planned.

Will we see PD at the december PS event wink wink @Jordan @amar212
I've heard no rumblings or rumors that PD will be there, but it does seem to be a very big deal for the PlayStation brand, so you never know. Personally, I expect GT7 to be revealed at a dedicated event more focused toward the European market, like the GT6 reveal at Silverstone last year.

I've heard no rumblings or rumors that PD will be there, but it does seem to be a very big deal for the PlayStation brand, so you never know. Personally, I expect GT7 to be revealed at a dedicated event more focused toward the European market, like the GT6 reveal at Silverstone last year.

Yeah I doubted they'd announce it there, thanks for your answer Jordan, a dedicated even should be awesome hopefully we get something before E3.

Ya but the problem is there's not a whole lot to wash off on my end, imo there's a thick film of cynicism that would need to be removed on his end to be worth shaking hands with over this Gran Turismo 7 Future topic. We know of nothing and the degrading chatter between him and FoxHound is past what I find productive. This thread is already tainted with mass presumptions and non-sense.

I think his (repetitive gripes with PD) (re)post was to seek the attention of somebody. That somebody can only be PD themselves, or to convince the general public browsing the forums what a tremendous flop GT 5 and 6 have been and that PD owes the world the most perfect flawless game.. ya.. why don't we just wait first?

Not really, but it would make sense since I don't do criticism like you. And I am a fairly critical person in just about every area of discussion on things that truely matter in this world. Constructive and positive criticism that is, not just knocking every effort someone makes or laughing at them when something didn't go as planned.

PD doesn't have to make "World's Perfect game" How about we start with a game first?

Seriously though look around the landscape what is everyone else doing?

Let's take a look

Damage: Everyone has some form of damage that really matters as in I could lose this race just from hitting something a certain way GT5 and GT6 never did this quite right.

Mechanical Damage: Some games have this feature not all, but it changes a lot of dynamics of the game.

Livery Editor: Multiple games support this currently most asked about feature for GT.

Weather: While GT has the weather seen other people with more advanced weather, and the way it's put into races is also more advanced case in point running one race in another game the weather had a 60% chance to rain, and well into the race you had spot rain, and just straight pouring down rain and light rain.

If you want to know that game is F1 series from Codemasters

Pitting System: This is minor, but something that I notice in GT I barely ever pit, but when I did it's only for gas, and maybe some tire changes in F1 you had to be careful with what happened. Fulling up made car slower, and certain tires had different grips. They would even let you know what tires other A.I/Racers had.

Which leads to my next point A.I no one else is doing chase the rabbit anymore, and some racers are so advanced that you know A.I spins out/crashes and the weather and pitting systems are more I guess you were say engaging because of that.

Doubt I'm leaving out anything else.

TL;DR Gran Turismo has/is being left behind in the dust I said this in one other thread people already know I understand that PD/Kaz can be full of himself I would be too if I had that kind of success, but you never get behind the times you create the times.

PD must've been playing around with GT7 long enough to show off some concept stuff at the very least. I hope they can win over the hardcore fanbase that have been disappointed with the recent installments.

PD will have to create 2 games in 1. That small team (unless Sony have discreetly found an outsource) will have to work twice as hard to please.
This generation is oversaturated with technology, the younger generation are fickle (and the older) So GT7 will be a robust game... has to be.

Or they can use the FIA partnership wisely and start doing stuff with them.

When I first saw this thread I thought about something similar to this. PD has so many connections in the automotive and racing world. (Pikes Peak, FIA..ETC).

I'm looking forward to seeing how they utilize these connections. But I believe it is something we all can look forward to.

When I first saw this thread I thought about something similar to this. PD has so many connections in the automotive and racing world. (Pikes Peak, FIA..ETC).

I'm looking forward to seeing how they utilize these connections. But I believe it is something we all can look forward to.

That is what I thought it would happen with gt5 (WRC, NASCAR, Red Bull, etc) but they placed the logos and not much happened.

Edit: typo

That is what I thought it would happen with gt5 (WRC, NASCAR, Red Bull, etc) but they placed the logos and not much happened.

Edit: typo
This is where PD has missed the boat so badly up until now. They go to the trouble of building partnerships in the racing and automotive world and then do little with them in the game, of any meaning, beyond a logo or two and a time trial. If the FIA association turns into nothing more than a logo in the game and a series of TT's like GTAcademy it'll be all show and no go IMO, aka an epic fail to fully utilize the gaming potential of these opportunities they worked so hard for. If we go on past history, Pikes Peak will just be a series of TT's in the game and perhaps one or two online. There is just so much more that could be done with this and with the huge memory available on the PS4 and the dramatically boosted CPU power, there's just no excuse for not realizing all the potential these associations can and should bring to the series.

Back