GT7 Update Coming August 25

• Thread starter Kevster823
  • 1,162 comments
GT7 was touted as the most complete GT to date
This pops up a lot and I think it's worth noting that the exact phrase was "most complete form of Gran Turismo".
I found it fairly easy when I did it for the first time today.
Yeah, but you're Captain Smooth, with a capital Smoo. When other people say "wears the tyres" you think they're asking for help finding them.

It would be ace if the payouts were better, but also if you could set the AI to be faster than the max setting in Custom Race (we know it can be faster) would make it one of the beat features in GT to date for me.
Indeed. I think PD intentionally made Custom Race mode lacking in appeal out of fear that players would have a better time on their own terms, as opposed to the fun to be had with the small amount of stuff they add themselves each month. I know it sounds bizarre, but PD’s mentality gradually more comes across this way.

Last edited:
This pops up a lot and I think it's worth noting that the exact phrase was "most complete form of Gran Turismo".
Good point, but I'm not sure it changes the expectation that comment gives all that much. Especially when paired with comments about GT7 going back to the series roots. It's nothing like GT1-6 in terms of structure (though you also could rule GT5 out as that's not much like GT1-4 or GT6).

I think in saying " most complete form" rather than "most complete" is it implies a focus on the structure and character of the game over focusing primarily on content volume. But it lacks in that area too IMO, not so much perhaps for anyone who might excuse the lack of single player races as a result, bit it still has issues.

That’s why I do feel for players that want to jump in and take time doing all the events PD have to offer. Those are lacking. Especially, finding ones they like to do over and get rewarded for(looking at you all the Missions races).
For those of us that like to create our own play, it can be improved, but there’s endless fun.

What are your default settings By chance, did you set your brake balance towards the rear? My front tires were completely gone by lap 8 and i noticed yours had some grip towards the front but gone towards the rear, but my front right made me drift like a hachi roku in Initial D lolol. Too bad the AI didn’t think it was funny thanks.

Here’s something that was never mentioned or implied is that the Pit stop is not active so i always had my fuel at level 6 in the past and quite frankly a few of my earlier runs when i made that comment I literally made a pit stop around lap 6 but I was surprised that it just let me drive through the pit stop back in to the game, i never tried to get a trophy for this mission until this update. I’m all late into game but I’ll figure out watching your video.

Last edited:
Ignore; rant incoming.

Just tried WTC 600 Tokyo with my (previously) guarenteed money maker, Ford Focus with engine swap, tuned to 599.65PP.

After the update it's now 612, medium tyres wear out so much faster and have less grip, used to coast to victory by 30+ seconds, now struggling to stay in 3rd as Suswillo's GT-R seems to have been fitted with rain defying tyres and rocket fuel. What the hell have PD done with this latest update to make the cars perform so ******? Even the Porsche 911 (991) struggles all of a sudden.
The physics are now FUBAR. Nations Cup was a nightmare with the Super Formula crawling at Les Combes with Group 4 speed after 2 laps.
Cars understeer everywhere and the steering angle always jerks between full lock and 90% lock for some stupid reason. Try dragon trail time trial last corner and see for yourself. It looks like you either get the entry speed exactly right or you either understeer or lose a second.

Good point, but I'm not sure it changes the expectation that comment gives all that much.
It does somewhat.

"Most complete Gran Turismo" implies that it has as close to all the stuff that all the others did, combined, as is possible. "Most complete form of Gran Turismo" implies that the general shape of the game is as close to what Yamauchi originally envisioned for it as possible.

We can certainly say it's not "the most complete Gran Turismo", because it doesn't have all the things, stuff, features, and capabilities of all the Gran Turismos put together; I mean, it has a lot but no qualifying, no course maker, no selling cars (still!), no car levels (thankfully), no [insert dearly missed car or track probably from GT2 here]... and so on. But we can't say it's not "the most complete form of Gran Turismo" because... we don't know what Yamauchi originally envisioned - and we don't know how other GT games were not complete forms.

As they say in those memes they have these days, this isn't even Gran Turismo's final form.

It's very much a matter of semantics I agree - and it might be different again in Japanese of course - and people may infer what they wish from either phrase. We do have some wild conclusions at time from even single words! :lol:

And now for an angry attempt at rebuttal from one or more of several usual characters who think that this is in some way defending the use of the phrase in the game's promotion, when it clearly isn't:

Edit: Hmm. My timing's off. It's been a tough week.

Last edited:
That's interesting. If we're going to involve ourselves in a semantic dissection, what does that even mean?

Edit; I've seen your response above, no need to repeat

And now for an angry attempt at rebuttal from one or more of several usual characters who think that this is in some way defending the use of the phrase in the game's promotion, when it clearly isn't:
I'm pretty sure I spotted someone yesterday trying to imply you were an agent of PD of sorts, planted here to spread propaganda lmao. His words were something akin to your lack of (unwarranted) criticism of the game being "suspicious" :lol: reaching a wee bit?

Last edited:
That's not logical. I'd assume that if you make a massive change to the AI you'd have to go back through and rebalance all the events, the fact that Sophy probably isn't going to be used to replace the current AI notwithstanding.

Besides, it seems unlikely that they're gonna stick Sophy into the game in the next six months. If they're avoiding making more events just to potentially avoid double handling at some indistinctly distant point in the future that feels pretty bad for the players sitting around waiting for months and months.

And anyway, what else is the person who does the career and game structure going to do while they wait for Sophy? Some "dailies" every week and a handful of Cafe sets a month? I work with some experts at phoning it in, but that would be next level.
It is logical, if they don't want to bother adding a multitude of events, just so they have to scratch everything and redesign those same events with the new AI in place. There's also no telling if the new AI would replace the current one, or they would work complementary with each other (the existing events being kept as they are, and a proper campaign added later with the new AI).

What I would ask is, if it's too much for them to create a bunch of events themselves, for PD to add a feature that allows players to create and share events (not only single races, but also championships and challenges), with a decent pay on top of it. We have Custom Races, just improve it, with more options and better payouts.

“The most complete form of Gran Turismo” is also misleading, because it’s very hard to argue it is. GT7 does streamline some things better than the older games, making aspects of the form more complete so to speak, but I fail to see how the form can be the most complete when central ways to enjoy content have been stripped away, for the time being at least.

For example, there are no bespoke events for vintage racing cars, yet the game makes a big deal out of acquiring them by triggering FOMO concerns among players through the use of price increases in the dealership etc. Then we also have the “campaign” which presents itself more like an incomplete introduction to the virtual automotive world rather than something deserving of end credits. Illogical stuff like this makes it difficult to see how GT7 qualifies as GT in its most complete form.

Last edited:
Why can't they increase payouts for custom races? Oh yeah people would earn too much credits, which means they can buy cars they want equals nobody buying MTX.

They could change the way custom races payout. The way people overused it in GT Sport was because in a race of just 2 cars, where you put your Miata against a Gr.1 Car and rubberhand it against the wall in an oval circuit, the car that came in 2nd, ergo, last which was obviously your Miata, would still get paid a ridiculous amount of money for a long-endurance race. Something in the millions.

PD could've easily fixed this by not giving any credit prizes to the car that comes in last place, which is only fair. And thus pretty much negate the ability for you to just cheese through them to earn easy credits.

Instead, they went to the other extreme, where a 24 hour custom race where you eventually win, on same category cars, pays out... 400k. Which is about enough to buy a Porsche 911 GT3 RS and not even fully tune it. Pathetic.

Sport mode was designed for just competition. However, they could've brought even more people into it to enjoy themselves while also trying to earn some credits.
In Sport Mode, you 100% cannot cheese your way to win, if you win, its because you were good/fast enough to do so. So how come you get prized something like 25k credits for a race win against real life players that are supposed to be on your level, which is of course, far beyond what the AI in the game can do to compete against you?

It would be the end-all, be-all if payouts were better. I can create so many race scenarios in custom races that PD created events couldn't come close to.

Edit: the AI also needs fixing as they currently do not use 100% throttle and their tire choices are limited.
Fair enough. I’m not against improving custom races at all since it will only add more replayability to the game in the long run. It’s just a question of if PD can be bothered. These updates are so haphazard in what they add or change and we have no road map of what to expect.

Last edited:
Wonder when we'll be able to fully reset progress from the servers as well?
Has PD spoken out as to why this isn't an option? Is it normal now not to be able to reset game progress tied to an account? I hadn't played a GT release since GT4 when memory cards were still a thing so this is truly baffling.

The update is pretty good despite lacking in content (as always):

• Cars behave better in terms of oversteer. RWD cars can hold a slide for longer and AWD cars now only oversteer if you really want them to, as it should be.
  • UCD updated with fresh car colors last night. Fingers crossed it continues doing this.
  • Porsche 918 Spyder hybrid system now works, meaning the car has gotten faster and more responsive on the throttle.
  • Cosmetic damage appears to be a little more pronounced after low-impact collisions.
  • The three cars added are among the better additions so far.
  • Three additional layouts were a positive surprise after the mostly pointless 24h version of Spa a few months back.
So overall it’s quite a decent update, but the lack of fresh things to do remains a mood killer PD needs to start taking seriously. All those cars and such limited use for them. Tragic.
See it's not all bad.

It is logical, if they don't want to bother adding a multitude of events, just so they have to scratch everything and redesign those same events with the new AI in place. There's also no telling if the new AI would replace the current one, or they would work complementary with each other (the existing events being kept as they are, and a proper campaign added later with the new AI).
It's logical if you're a player at home not to want to create Custom Events if you're just going to have to do it over again. But these are professional developers. This is their job. They are paid to create content for the players to enjoy.

Everything is eventually going to have to be scrapped and remade. That's how development works. I would hope that they're not avoiding including content just because they'll have to redo it for GT8. It's a never-ending slope that ends up at "well why do anything?"

Realistically, if the game needs more events then you make more events. If those are going to have to be scrapped at some point in the future, the only consideration is "will the players get enough enjoyment out of these before then to make the work worth it?" Like I said, Sophy is not in the near future of the game so I'd suggest that the answer is pretty unequivocally yes.

And if the campaign with the new AI would be completely separate (as seems likely from statements from Polyphony/Kaz) then there's even less reason to hold back on making content now. It's not going to be replaced or superceded, and so they'd just be avoiding work that would make the game more fun for the players. That seems like a poor way to make games if your intent is for the players to have fun.
What I would ask is, if it's too much for them to create a bunch of events themselves, for PD to add a feature that allows players to create and share events (not only single races, but also championships and challenges), with a decent pay on top of it. We have Custom Races, just improve it, with more options and better payouts.
This should exist also for people who want to use it. It's a great way for the community to fill in the gaps, as well as good information for Polyphony about what things people like and a source of new ideas they might be able to use. It's a shame they stopped short of allowing the Custom Race tool to be as excellent as it could have been.

But it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect the developer of the game to provide a solid level of professionally curated content, and then to continue to support their live service game with a fair stream of additional ongoing content. After all, they're the ones who get paid to make the game, not the players.

Player made content shouldn't be a crutch propping up an otherwise wobbly system, it should be the cherry on top of an otherwise delicious cake.

They could change the way custom races payout. The way people overused it in GT Sport was because in a race of just 2 cars, where you put your Miata against a Gr.1 Car and rubberhand it against the wall in an oval circuit, the car that came in 2nd, ergo, last which was obviously your Miata, would still get paid a ridiculous amount of money for a long-endurance race. Something in the millions.

PD could've easily fixed this by not giving any credit prizes to the car that comes in last place, which is only fair. And thus pretty much negate the ability for you to just cheese through them to earn easy credits.

Instead, they went to the other extreme, where a 24 hour custom race where you eventually win, on same category cars, pays out... 400k. Which is about enough to buy a Porsche 911 GT3 RS and not even fully tune it. Pathetic.

Sport mode was designed for just competition. However, they could've brought even more people into it to enjoy themselves while also trying to earn some credits.
In Sport Mode, you 100% cannot cheese your way to win, if you win, its because you were good/fast enough to do so. So how come you get prized something like 25k credits for a race win against real life players that are supposed to be on your level, which is of course, far beyond what the AI in the game can do to compete against you?
I fully agree. When people ask to increase the payouts for custom races it doesn't have to be millions for a race with AI on 0 and 1 lap. Make it a decent upgrade and people are happy. Why is it so hard to do that? Because people will earn too much credits? Because they won't buy MTX? If you put in the time to earns credits (aka replaying events for example) those people will automatically hold off on buying extra credits. PD are hurting their game by restricting their ingame economy and sucking the fun out of it for many players.

Sport Mode is actually the same conversation. If like you said they would improve earnings and possibly link it for example with the penalty system (aka less payouts with penalties, crashes and damage) and you might convince people to put in the time getting better against human players + they might start racing much cleaner when they see their efforts starting to pay off.

Last edited:

You make this easy, I was on top by lap 6-7 but the Ai starts to lose control also and clips me and it’s nothing but yellow flags everywhere, i‘ve tried this about four times and some what equal results, my tires by lap 6-7 wear out completely now and i lose the lead, I’ll mess with my settings to see what’s up, I’ll keep at it but i keep watching your video and your lap times are brutal, thanks for the motivation though!
14F4BC52-3870-40D2-864B-B25C18EE9B4A.jpeg

Last edited:
You make this easy, I was on top by lap 6-7 but the Ai starts to lose control also and clips me and it’s nothing but yellow flags everywhere, i‘ve tried this about four times and some what equal results, my tires by lap 6-7 wear out completely now and i lose the lead, I’ll mess with my settings to see what’s up, I’ll keep at it but i keep watching your video and your lap times are brutal, thanks for the motivation though!View attachment 1187321
Just try taking it easy on the corners, the lowest gear I used is 3rd gear. Try coasting around the corner and just cruise around, by the 5-7 laps you'll be passing the AIs because they're also driving slower to conserve their tyres (with minimal luck, they slide everywhere). By the 9 lap you should caught up to the leader with a little bit of white left.

Even if custom races paid well and had the AI available at max, it is STILL not a replacement for a curated career mode.

You can't create a sense of a progression, you can't create championships, and you can't award yourself prize cars. Also not that PD does this now, but you can't create any kind of story or progression with cut scenes, building up a racing team, getting a bigger garage, that sort of stuff is what makes a curated career fun and engaging.

Entering your own races with no name and winning just isn't the same as completing a gruelling 10 race GT World Championship series and being awarded a surprise, awesome car at the end, with it also counting towards your completion of the game.

There needs to be both. Custom racing is always supplemental.

I really don't understand why you'd ask us to collect Gr2 cars when there's no races for them? It almost feels like it was a mistake and they forgot to include some! Surely just adding in races at existing tracks is a really easy win for PD, it can't require a lot more coding.

I'm not a fan of the extra menus but I kinda get it for the random road cars that you wouldn't otherwise have any reason to buy. For specific race cars though it doesn't make any sense to me. Just provide us with Gr2 races and we'll buy the cars.

Don’t like the new physics, don’t like the new track layouts, DESPISE anything Rally in GT, am disappointed in the McLaren and I’m disgusted by the economy changes once again.

Oh, and whatever they did to tires/tirewear and the way it is displayed can **** right off.

It’s not hyperbolic whatsoever when I say this has to be the worst update yet.

I think it’s borderline offensive.

I do enjoy the Cayman somewhat.

Last edited:
Back